IGNORED

Roseanne reboot cancelled after racist twitter rant

47of74

50 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Every actor who returned to the reboot knew Roseann.  No sympathy for them.  The only one who took a stand after Roseann's vomitous tweet was Wanda Sykes.  You associate with a racist POS, you get what you deserve.

Actually Sara Gilbert took a stand and Whitney Cummings was already exiting (the article was last week) 

Sara's reaction to the tweet:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/sara-gilbert-rips-roseanne-barrs-abhorrent-tweets/story?id=55509934

Article about Whitney's departure:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/05/roseanne-whitney-cummings-exit-season-2

• Upvote 4

Roseanne's talent agency also told her to fornicate off

Roseanne Barr on Tuesday was dropped by her talent agency following her racially charged tweet about former Obama adviser Valerie Jarret.

“We are all greatly distressed by the disgraceful and unacceptable tweet from Roseanne Barr this morning,” ICM said in a statement Tuesday, according to Variety.

“What she wrote is antithetical to our core values, both as individuals and as an agency.  Consequently, we have notified her that we will not represent her. Effective immediately, Roseanne Barr is no longer a client.”

ABC had canceled the star’s rebooted sitcom “Roseanne” earlier Tuesday over the tweet, calling the comedian's message "abhorrent."

• Upvote 13

Actually saw Roseanne live in a small comedy club when she was doing stand up comedy a few years preceding the sitcom.     Really don't remember much of her routine though.

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I have a feeling the prime time Fox News shows will be spending considerable time on the unfair treatment of a Republican (?) gal just speakin' her mind and exercising her First amendment rights.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Word.

Well, the first Repugliklan apologist has come out in defense of poor Roseanne, who vehementy apologized ya’ll!

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Word.

And those actors that worked with her on the original show supposedly had no idea, NO IDEA I tell you!, of her racist beliefs?  I'm having difficulty believing that.  But hey, it's possible.  But they certainly knew she was and is a big Trump supporter, and that involves being bigoted and hateful.  Still, they saw the dollar signs and said, "who needs values?  Show me the money!"

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Destiny said:

Impending Orange Menace meltdown in 3....2.....1.

Also more boycott threats from conservative twitter. 

You were right about that.  Fornicate Face supporters are apparently having a white hot meltdown over this.

Trump supporters are having a meltdown after ABC canceled ‘Roseanne’ after the actress sent out another racist tweet.  Barr gave a weak apology after a backlash ensued but ABC wasn’t having it. Trump supporters are very upset that their favorite racist actress got canned.

Here's one of the tweets from a Branch Trumpvidian...

I'd tell this asshole that free speech doesn't apply to private companies but I don't have the time, energy, or patience to deal with Branch Trumpvidians right now.

Oh and not only did Rosanne fornicate up the current show, but the reruns from previous seasons are being pulled too now...

Viacom is pulling “Roseanne” reruns from its Paramount Network, TV Land and CMT channels, a person with knowledge of the decision told TheWrap on Tuesday.

The syndication scheduling change, which follows ABC’s cancellation of the hit sitcom’s recent revival, will go into effect tomorrow.

All of this comes about after star Roseanne Barr tweeted some (extra, even for her) foolishness on Tuesday: “muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj,” Barr wrote in response to a Twitter thread about Valerie Jarrett, a former adviser to Barack Obama.

This gets better and better all the time.

Dear Roseanne,

haha.png.e70f41754591ef956764c6e49afdcfac.png

• Upvote 13

Dang! I wish I would have put money on this I would have won. I knew she couldn't keep her mouth shut and would get the boot in less than aired 5 episodes. She has NO self control or common sense plus feeling "empowered" by Dump. 

I didn't watch the reboot because our internet is limited and the list is loooong before I would get to it. 

• Upvote 5

34 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

And those actors that worked with her on the original show supposedly had no idea, NO IDEA I tell you!, of her racist beliefs?  I'm having difficulty believing that.  But hey, it's possible.  But they certainly knew she was and is a big Trump supporter, and that involves being bigoted and hateful.  Still, they saw the dollar signs and said, "who needs values?  Show me the money!"

Yeah, I have a hard time buying into that.  Like I said, I don't remember her routine when I saw her doing stand up, but I remember her very "in your face" style.   That her views would not be known by people who worked with her for years doesn't seem very believable.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Word.

Well, the first Repugliklan apologist has come out in defense of poor Roseanne, who vehementy apologized ya’ll!

Oh, Herman Cain, ye of vast wordly knowledge, please pronounce "Uzbekistan" for us....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZQ50ZXwPyw

• Haha 3

If you are reasonably familiar with Fox, you'll know who this is.

Spoiler

Shep Smith

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, wild little fox said:

Dang! I wish I would have put money on this I would have won. I knew she couldn't keep her mouth shut and would get the boot in less than aired 5 episodes. She has NO self control or common sense plus feeling "empowered" by Dump. 

I didn't watch the reboot because our internet is limited and the list is loooong before I would get to it. 

Well there are 9 episodes lol.

Anyway, this was one of my favorite shows growing up and I was quite happy that they were all falling back into it by the last few here. *sigh*

I wonder what made this happen to be that the lime was crossed? It's bot like she's never been offensive before. It's kinda her thing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

I just read the news about the tweet. Sat down feeling total disgust and misery at the world then found this thread.  Thankyou 47of74 for posting about the cancellation of her show. We haven't watched any of the new shows because of her support for Dumpy McFuckface. She is a disgusting individual. What happened to her over the past 25 years??? Or has she always had disgusting views but just managed to keep her gob shut? Twitter is a useful tool for the arseholes of the world to show their true colours. Maybe that's a positive? I'm not sure. 

Bill Maher will have a lot to say about this.

I really think she had gotten in trouble before (when her original show was on) for saying something racist. Not on her show but in her real life. Does anyone else remember that?

Just came across this...not exactly what I was looking for but:

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entertainment/2018/01/roseanne-barr-s-comeback-faces-boycott-over-her-racism-and-homophobia.html

"Tweets can be deleted by the internet never forgets. Roseanne has a long history of racism, homophobia, anti-Semitism and hate speech," reads a message from the Boycott Roseanne Twitter account."

Edited by Starrynight
to add link
  • Upvote 8

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Word.

So Cain is admitting it was racist, but the bad guy in this is ABC?  Oh and Rosie darling, your "bad joke" wasn't a joke, it was racist ranting pure and simple.  My husband tells bad jokes, like the one about the snakes on Noah's (don't ask it is really corny)  or his one about the participial accelerator (even worse..really don't ask). Barr is just disgusting.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

Shep Smith

I'm surprised his host hasn't been canned. They never seem to tow the party line

• Upvote 7

Roseanne is as nutty as the average fruitcake and twice as nasty.  She goes with the power curve without much thought. She has always been suspect.  And racist.

When she first started out as a stand-up she did the "domestic goddess" thing.  And smirked at her own unpleasant jokes.  I was never a fan.

When she got the 1980s - 1990s TV show, that wasn't the real Roseanne.  It was good writing and mediocre acting.   John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, and Sarah Gilbert carried that show.  I watched a few episodes but Roseanne spoiled them.

Roseanne was never "Roseanne from Langford" the working class feminist with good child rearing skills, any more than than (the late) Dixie Carter was Julia Sugarbaker.  Dixie had to be bribed to do her Democratic and feminist vents with opportunities to sing (badly) at us on Designing Women.

Roseanne is nasty.  Very nasty.  Always has been.

• Upvote 14

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2018/05/29/hollywood-reacts-to-abc-cancelling-roseanne-amid-racist-tweets/23446222/

I second Alyssa Milano's suggestion!

Thank you, @ABCNetwork for doing the right thing and for showing people that bigotry and racism has consequences. Now, if you could only cancel our President for the same reason. #RoseanneBarred

• Upvote 15
  • Haha 5

Color me unsurprised:

And, on a much better note, the lovely Rita Moreno didn't mince words at her disgust:

• Upvote 11

"Thought police"?   Drama queens.

This is not about the First Amendment.  If I said .00001% of the shit this hideous creature has spewed while I was at work, I would have been ushered out by security in short order.

You have the right to say whatever you want.  And your employer - or network - has the right to terminate your arrangement if they don't like your offensive behavior or comments. 

Don't let the screen door hit ya, Roseanne.   I'm sure your doppelgänger president still loves you bigly.  And I hope he pays an even bigger price real soon.

• Upvote 11

Roseanne is just a troll, and she’s been this way since she got famous. She was trolling the public when she “sang” the National Anthem, she was trolling when she claimed to have 17 plus personalities, and she’s trolling us now with her racist tweets. ABC has known about this for almost thirty years but with network tv the way it is now, execs were probably hoping that 90s nostalgia would eclipse any potential controversy. Given how corporations go through executives like toilet paper, I doubt anyone is there from when the original Roseanne was on, but they must have at least read the tabloids back then or seen the E! True Hollywood story on her.

@Palimpsest I agree that Roseanne Barr the person should not be confused with Roseanne Arnold the character. However, Barr has always claimed that she is a feminist giving voice to overlooked working class women. The problem is that her brand of feminism has no problem with throwing non-whites, regardless of sex, under the bus if doing so makes her more comfortable or gives her a profit. 

ETA I know Dixie Carter’s politics were the exact opposite of Julia Sugarbaker’s but she seemed like someone who would still be fun to hang out with; on some Designing Women reunion, she was really psyched to learn that some gay bars play her famous “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia” speech as a sort of sing a long, and suggested that she and the other cast mates should go to one. Roseanne, on the other hand, just seems like an exhausting, unpleasant troll who must be the center of attention even if it’s for the wrong reasons.

Edited by Cleopatra7
  • Upvote 12

Actual comedian Kathleen Madigan called out Roseanne on her "bad joke" horse shit;

22 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

"Thought police"?   Drama queens.

This is not about the First Amendment.  If I said .00001% of the shit this hideous creature has spewed while I was at work, I would have been ushered out by security in short order.

You have the right to say whatever you want.  And your employer - or network - has the right to terminate your arrangement if they don't like your offensive behavior or comments. 

Don't let the screen door hit ya, Roseanne.   I'm sure your doppelgänger president still loves you bigly.  And I hope he pays an even bigger price real soon.

Yeah I knew that even before taking constitutional law that the First Amendment only applied to the government, and not to private organizations like ABC.  That was pointed out in that course, along with the fact that the free speech clause does have it's limits and there is such a thing as unprotected speech.

Maybe it's a sign of how low my asshole tolerance is these days but I get more than a little irritated when people bitch about the 1A when some conservative gets smacked down by an employer or a private business. 

• Upvote 14

6 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Just had a crazy thought, what if one of the religious television stations decides to pick up her show to appease Trump? 

But the son's daughter is mixed race and one of Darlene's children is a boy but likes to wear girl clothing.  I have not seen the show, that's just what I've heard.

I loved the show when it was on before, for the most part.  I was kind of shocked when she supported the Idiot in office.  She has gone from being sarcastic to paranoid and I think she believes every conspiracy theory there is.  I am not surprised she said something like that. But I am surprised that ABC did the right thing over the almighty dollar they were making off the show.  Happily surprised that ABC cancelled it.

She has put so many people out of work because of her stupidity.  She probably doesn't care. I noticed that a few people connected with the show tweeted pretty quickly about how upset they were with her, it doesn't reflect their opinions, etc.

4 hours ago, JMarie said:

I have a feeling the prime time Fox News shows will be spending considerable time on the unfair treatment of a Republican (?) gal just speakin' her mind and exercising her First amendment rights.

I'm sure Flush Limbaugh will be all over it tomorrow.  I try not to listen to him, but he seems to be on a lot of stations.

• Upvote 6

The Onion has weighed in on this...

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 8

Roseanne isn't available on demand from my cable provider (Comcast).  But Roseanne's Nuts, her reality show that aired on Lifetime in 2011, is availabele.  I remember a big squabble when her show was cancelled, because Bristol Palin's show got fewer viewers but was on the air for more episodes.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RainbowSky said:

I wonder what made this happen to be that the lime was crossed?

Did you see the tweet about Valerie Jarett?It was reprehensible and indeed crossed several lines. I didn't consider watching the reboot because of Roseannes's support of dumpy. Fuck her.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2