IGNORED

Send help. I have a problem. I can't stop planting stuff!

Destiny

I have a sickness you guys. I have 4 pepper plants, what's going to end up 3 pots of peas, a watermelon, zucchini, eggplant, 2 lavender (maybe. They haven't sprouted yet), spinach (maybe. Also hasn't sprouted yet), 2 basil, and 2 tomato plants. I picked up four more pots today, and I'm going to transplant some of my peas into other pots instead of just thinning. I also got some crookneck squash I'm gonna plant. 

My questions are these:

1. Is there a 12 step program? I can't stop planting!
  2. Lord Google tells me I can plant green beans and peas together and they play nicely. Has anyone done this? How did it work out? I'm planning for 5 gallon pots and I have supports that are almost as tall as I am.
  3. Lord Google tells me that I can plant salad greens in some of these pots to help keep weeds down. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions on what of these options would lend itself to this idea, if so?

Right now, the whole kit and caboodle is in my office on the floor because it fucking froze AGAIN last night. IT'S MEMORIAL WEEKEND FFS!

I haven't tried any of those things, but they make sense. Salad greens don't develop huge root balls, so they'd probably be fine with other plants.

• 1 month later...

I need to figure out companion planting.  This year I have a bunch of pole beans with winter squash growing at their feet to keep down the weeds.  The vines aren't quite long enough yet to do their job, but I'm hopeful in a few weeks I'll see something useful out of them.

Your post made me laugh because I have a serious gardening problem.  I can't narrow down what to grow so I have to keep adding more beds every year.  This year we've got 81 tomato plants (I had 82 but one died), about 40 peppers, 18 types of beans, radishes, beets, cucumbers, lettuce, eggplants, cowpeas, carrots, and basil.  My poor husband, hauler of dirt and waterer when I work overnight shifts, does like any of it.  Good thing I have coworkers who love veggies!

lol. I planted like 10 more pots worth after this post. I said I was going to hace just tomatoes and basil, but now I have this:
199a7992d9e8cf08108b6b51556f4771.jpg
My friends keep making fun of my pot addiction.

I need to figure out companion planting.  This year I have a bunch of pole beans with winter squash growing at their feet to keep down the weeds.  The vines aren't quite long enough yet to do their job, but I'm hopeful in a few weeks I'll see something useful out of them.

I did try green beans and peas and so far it seems okay. We should have peas starting in the next week or two. I need to do more companion stuff though cos I’m running out of room on my deck!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like tomato and basil to me! :my_biggrin:

Almost all of my tomato plants have fruit and I am both eagerly and concernedly waiting for the ripening to start because I'm not at all confident in my ability to eat 100 tomatoes per day for the next several months.

5 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Looks like tomato and basil to me! :my_biggrin:

Almost all of my tomato plants have fruit and I am both eagerly and concernedly waiting for the ripening to start because I'm not at all confident in my ability to eat 100 tomatoes per day for the next several months.

Get some fresh mozzarella and a basil plant, and you have caprese salad every day. That makes life awesome!

Seriously, I'm going to do some dehydrating of tomatoes for later. I love sun dried tomatoes anyway. 

I have about 18 basil plants in with my tomatoes, eggplants, and cowpeas and I'm looking forward to caprese salad, BLTs, and bruschetta.  I have some Principe Borghese tomatoes that are supposed to be especially good for sun dried tomatoes that I planted especially for that purpose.  I'll also be putting up a bunch of peeled, seeded tomatoes in the freezer and tons of sauce.  You can never have too much tomato sauce, I say!  And salsa, of course.

I may try my hand at tomato sauce but that’s scary since I’m not much of a cook.

I have always thought the following recipes were really good (and easy) depending on how you like your tomato sauce.  Just sub in boiled/peeled/seeded tomatoes.  The one with carrots is a particular favorite.  If you have an instant pot it can all be done in there (theoretically... I have one but have not used it yet).  Otherwise you can start them on the stove and finish in a slow cooker if you don't want to babysit them.

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Rigatoni-Tomato-Sauce

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Spaghetti-All-Amatriciana

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pasta-al-pomodoro

14 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I have always thought the following recipes were really good (and easy) depending on how you like your tomato sauce.  Just sub in boiled/peeled/seeded tomatoes.  The one with carrots is a particular favorite.  If you have an instant pot it can all be done in there (theoretically... I have one but have not used it yet).  Otherwise you can start them on the stove and finish in a slow cooker if you don't want to babysit them.

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Rigatoni-Tomato-Sauce

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Spaghetti-All-Amatriciana

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pasta-al-pomodoro

Thanks. I have a ton of tomatoes so I will have a go at this. Mister may end up regretting life, but meh LOL. 

Archived