IGNORED

Stephen Hammer, Harvard Law Graduate

4 minutes ago, Hisey said:

he has accomplished a lot for a guy who's probably not even 30.

He's 31.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Meredith and Stephen are like a Gilead power couple. He's educated and committed, and she's passive, uneducated and very fertile. That is exactly the world they'd be happiest in. 

If he’d married a Botkinette, they’d definitely be Commander Fred Waterford and Serena Joy.

• Upvote 12

7 hours ago, Hisey said:

According to his facebook, he is graduated from Harvard Law and going to Columbus, either for work or vacation. The buddy who posted about Columbus is another Harvard Law grad (with quite a fancy resume!) who is now a lawyer in Ohio.

The Columbus guy also has a photo of himself with Clarence Thomas :puke-front:

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 3

10 hours ago, Eclipse said:

If he did well in competitive moots he might have a chance at some better firms as a litigator. 

Whenever I hear the words competitive moots I imagine a couple of antelopes clashing horns on the savanna.  Sort of like I picture a gerund as a furry little rodent. ;)

I suppose there are a lot of different directions Stephen could go with his shiny new JD.  He mentioned once that he wanted to be a judge but he may have changed his mind since then.  Perhaps the Family Research Council needs a new General Counsel.  Or he could become a lobbyist.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

17 hours ago, Bethella said:

He's 31.

Still--he's accomplished a lot for his age. The power imbalance in his marriage is very disturbing, though. However, I think there is NO danger he will be unemployed as a lawyer.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Hisey said:

However, I think there is NO danger he will be unemployed as a lawyer.

Don't think so either. He may not have been an honor graduate or an editor of the Harvard Law Review, but he's not stupid and probably has the cachet (PU, Rhodes Scholar, military vet & HLS grad) that would appeal to many of his likely employers.

He's been punching his ticket with great care. Meredith and the kids are on that ticket. Hope it works out for them at least as well as it may for Stephen.

• Upvote 9

This article on Kellyanne Conway's husband has a good description of the Federalist Society wankers, the ones with whom Stephen Hammer probably aspires to work:

George Conway’s tweets would be somewhat less notable if he were not one of the few members of his exclusive insular tribe—a Morton’s Steakhouse kind of crowd made up of former law clerks, Republican administration appointees and university professors—who has been publicly critical of the president and seemingly supportive of the Mueller probe.

By keeping its collective mouth shut, the Federalist Society—a nationwide network of conservative lawyers with its power base in D.C.—has amassed huge influence in the Trump administration, essentially hand-selecting not only Gorsuch but recruiting ultraconservative judges to fill vacancies from appellate courts on down. It’s a status the organization does not want to jeopardize through rash tweets or the signing of petitions that might make one feel good on issues that matter less to them than a complete reorientation of the federal bench.

The executive vice president of the Federalist Society, Leonard Leo, has called around to prominent lawyers and funders in town, warning them not to get on the wrong side of the Trump administration, according to a source who was briefed on the calls. After all, Leo expects to play a lead role in at least one more Supreme Court pick during Trump’s tenure. (Leo did not return calls for comment.)

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 3

12 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Whenever I hear the words competitive moots I imagine a couple of antelopes clashing horns on the savanna.  Sort of like I picture a gerund as a furry little rodent. ;)

I suppose there are a lot of different directions Stephen could go with his shiny new JD.  He mentioned once that he wanted to be a judge but he may have changed his mind since then.  Perhaps the Family Research Council needs a new General Counsel.  Or he could become a lobbyist.

I have never heard of moot described that way but it fits :D

He likely won't be a judge right away as many judgeships require several years of practice as a lawyer or teaching law. Or he can go to an area where judges are voted in by the general public, then he might need any experience, just a convince enough people to vote for him. Some places in the US elect their trial court judges, some places elect their appellate court judges, and some even elect their state's superior court judges.

• Upvote 2

I honestly think if he has political aspirations, Stephen played his cards wrong with Meredith. Even in the most conservative political circles, politicians' wives all have at least an undergraduate degree these days. Even if they don't have a career of their own (and many do). Imho Stephen would have been better off finding a fundie maiden at a Christian university somewhere. Likewise, I don't think it is going to go in his favor if they keep breeding at this speed. Five kids may still make him look good in conservative circles. 10 kids will make him look very strange even among that crowd.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

21 hours ago, JillyO said:

I honestly think if he has political aspirations, Stephen played his cards wrong with Meredith. Even in the most conservative political circles, politicians' wives all have at least an undergraduate degree these days. Even if they don't have a career of their own (and many do). Imho Stephen would have been better off finding a fundie maiden at a Christian university somewhere. Likewise, I don't think it is going to go in his favor if they keep breeding at this speed. Five kids may still make him look good in conservative circles. 10 kids will make him look very strange even among that crowd.

I would not be a bit surprised if he has political plans for the future.  He seems to have checked all the little boxes.  I'm not sure if he picked wrong as far as Meredith, she's less likely to stray herself or make him look bad.  She's not well educated, but that might not necessarily be a major drawback.  I see her as being a quiet, background wife.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

You know who else got an undergraduate degree from Princeton, and went on the get a law degree at Harvard?  Michelle Obama!  I wonder how he feels about walking in the former first lady’s footsteps...

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 7

Things I wonder about:  which other Fundy maidens was Stephen checking out, when shopping for a wife?  Would he have considered a Botkinette, eg?  Or was it that fine balance of looking for a submissive SAHD whose family wouldn't be a problem in the future?  Some of the cult leader patriarchs would be a risk, and someone like Pa Maxwell/Botkin would probably be threatened by Stephen and not let them near the doorstep.

And blogs were the perfect advertising material for SAHDs, but what's the equivalent, now that blogging is less in fashion?  Maybe instagrams, but that's a lot harder to search.  I've been thinking this for a while - how daughters like Madara and Sitara Smith will find husbands, the Rod daughters of course, but also a whole swathe of SAHDs who'd have been blogging 10 years ago. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Actually, it looks like Stephan made a journal after all. He is deputy managing editor of Harvard's Journal of Law and Public Policy, a journal for "conservative and libertarian scholarship."

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3099647

These journals--writing for them and editing articles--can take up a lot of time. Plus there's law school itself. I suspect Meredith had those five babies mostly alone. I wonder if that's what she wanted?

Edited by Hisey
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

• 4 months later...

I hesitate to contribute to this thread, but since it exists it should at least contain a few facts. 

1. He graduated in the top 10% from Harvard. 

2. He's currently clerking for a judge whose clerks commonly go on to clerk for a Supreme Court Justice. 

3. He was well liked by people with a broad spectrum of political views at Harvard. 

And to preempt the question, I was a classmate. 

• Upvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, alamode said:

I hesitate to contribute to this thread, but since it exists it should at least contain a few facts. 

1. He graduated in the top 10% from Harvard. 

2. He's currently clerking for a judge whose clerks commonly go on to clerk for a Supreme Court Justice. 

3. He was well liked by people with a broad spectrum of political views at Harvard. 

And to preempt the question, I was a classmate. 

What do you think about the way he found his wife? Is that a good way to find a wife in your opinion? 

• Upvote 6

None of your facts change any of the facts about his background or family.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What do you think about the way he found his wife? Is that a good way to find a wife in your opinion? 

Counterpoint: I have many colleagues I hold in high esteem who are in arranged marriages.  While I do not personally agree with arranged marriage, I see no reason to judge them on this.  I think it would be unfair to do so since they belong to religious/cultural groups that support arrange marriage, both parties were of age when the match was contracted, both parties (as adults) consented, and the marriage seems to be happy and healthy.

While I am no fan of the Hammers (I personally hope Stephen gets LOTS of work, just not many victories), if we expect Stephen to be judged by colleagues on how he formed his marriage, shouldn't I be judging mine on the same? I feel like the answer must be yes, but that also feels very wrong of me to do.  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Counterpoint: I have many colleagues I hold in high esteem who are in arranged marriages.  While I do not personally agree with arranged marriage, I see no reason to judge them on this.  I think it would be unfair to do so since they belong to religious/cultural groups that support arrange marriage, both parties were of age when the match was contracted, both parties (as adults) consented, and the marriage seems to be happy and healthy.

While I am no fan of the Hammers (I personally hope Stephen gets LOTS of work, just not many victories), if we expect Stephen to be judged by colleagues on how he formed his marriage, shouldn't I be judging mine on the same? I feel like the answer must be yes, but that also feels very wrong of me to do.  

It actually sounds like this is a friend, not a colleague. Or at the very least just an ex classmate.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

if we expect Stephen to be judged by colleagues on how he formed his marriage, shouldn't I be judging mine on the same? 

I'd say the difference is that Stephen isn't acting in accordance with any well-established cultural practices. And while ideally people could set aside those judgments in the workplace, that doesn't always happen. A number of years ago I had a colleague, a middle-aged white guy who was nice enough but kind of weird, who one day showed up to a work function with a younger woman and announced rather unexpectedly that they were just married. She spoke virtually no English, and he did not speak her native language either. For months it was THE debate in the office: mail-order bride or some kind of immigration scam? For all I know they actually met in some relatively normal way and are still happily married. But office gossip is what it is.

• Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I'd say the difference is that Stephen isn't acting in accordance with any well-established cultural practices. And while ideally people could set aside those judgments in the workplace, that doesn't always happen. A number of years ago I had a colleague, a middle-aged white guy who was nice enough but kind of weird, who one day showed up to a work function with a younger woman and announced rather unexpectedly that they were just married. She spoke virtually no English, and he did not speak her native language either. For months it was THE debate in the office: mail-order bride or some kind of immigration scam? For all I know they actually met in some relatively normal way and are still happily married. But office gossip is what it is.

Thank you!  I was actually struggling with this question and couldn't quite put my finger on the answer, but I think that the "well established cultural practices" is the key.  My coworkers were acting in the norm for their cultural context.  They were not predatory.  They were not being disrespectful personally.  Stephen was acting outside of the norm of his own free will AND was pretty dehumanizing in the way he conducted his search, if I remember this courtship story correctly.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

17 hours ago, alamode said:

Speaking of the Supreme Court, what do you think about Brett Kavanaugh?

Alleged 3x rapist, molester, the Supreme Court and the orange insanity don't seem to habe a problem with him, so that really doesn't prove that Hammer is am OK guy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Speaking of the Supreme Court, what do you think about Brett Kavanaugh?

Alleged 3x rapist, molester, the Supreme Court and the orange insanity don't seem to habe a problem with him, so that really doesn't prove that Hammer is am OK guy.

I don't know why you, among others, think that my post was intended as a total defense of Stephen as a person. It was intended to correct false information that appeared earlier in this thread. 

Sure, I find some things weird. But I don't agree with the take that he's just an opportunist. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

On 10/18/2018 at 2:43 PM, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I'd say the difference is that Stephen isn't acting in accordance with any well-established cultural practices.

This. The tl;dr - Homeboy wanted to marry a nice Xtian SAHD who would then be a nice Xtian SAHW, and he found one on the internet.

To the extent that Meredith's parents had to approve of the courtship, etc., it could possibly be considered an arranged marriage, but none of it would have happened if Stephen hadn't decided to troll around online. Also, traditional arranged marriages involve BOTH sets of parents. AFAIK, both of Stephen's parents are living though divorced. There's no indication that either one played a role in the courtship phase or in any other parental review & decision-making prior to the marriage.

Even within the context of the fundie courtship scene, Stephen's & Meredith's relationship was truly an outlier. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...