IGNORED

Stephen Hammer, Harvard Law Graduate

Interestingly, he is not listed as a Massachusetts registered attorney, nor an Ohio registered attorney.

• Thank You 2

• 9 months later...

Based on Meredith's current Facebook image, I am guessing Little Hammer #6 will be here sometime this summer. 

image.thumb.png.b391cb059a7a98a3fc567f60c3edd565.png

Edited by Jellybean
Removed duplicate photo
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 5

2 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Based on Meredith's current Facebook image, I am guessing Little Hammer #6 will be here sometime this summer. 

image.thumb.png.b391cb059a7a98a3fc567f60c3edd565.png

Her Instagram bio says she's "mama to six sweet children", too.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, adidas said:

How old is Stephen??

Princeton undergrad, class of 2009. So, now, maybe 32-33?

• Thank You 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Lucky Texans... sounds like that is where he is planning to eventually settle. That will be the farthest away Meredith has lived from her family.

23 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Lucky Texans... sounds like that is where he is planning to eventually settle. That will be the farthest away Meredith has lived from her family.

Did she live with him when he was overseas?

• Upvote 1

Yikes. BEC I know - but he has NOT aged well. I couldn’t remember him being 20 years older than Meredith at their wedding so my brain knew he couldn’t be in his 50s, but wow. He looks like a middle aged man.

• I Agree 2

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Did she live with him when he was overseas?

Yes. They married in Dec 2010, during his time at Oxford (2009 - 2011), and she lived there with him.

They then returned to the US where he did his Army commitment of four years, followed by Harvard Law School. 

During the summers at HLS, he interned at Cooper & Kirk and Jones Day in Washington, DC. Now he's clerking for the US Court of Appeals in Ohio.

Talk about punching tickets.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

4 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Yes. They married in Dec 2010, during his time at Oxford (2009 - 2011), and she lived there with him.

They then returned to the US where he did his Army commitment of four years, followed by Harvard Law School. 

During the summers at HLS, he interned at Cooper & Kirk and Jones Day in Washington, DC. Now he's clerking for the US Court of Appeals in Ohio.

Talk about punching tickets.

The article says he’s done with his clerkship in Ohio and is now doing a clerkship in DC.

• Upvote 1

It's astonishing (and I know we've all said this repeatedly) that Stephen seems to have mapped out his path so clearly, and seems to be achieving all the milestones along the way.

It's interesting to hear that he's planning to settle in Texas (thanks @JermajestyDuggar for the article). For some reason, I had assumed that he and Meridith would settle in, or around, DC. Perhaps because I'd assumed that the White House was on his 'To Do' list. It may still be, but there are plenty of fun Federalist Society people in Texas with whom to network.

Meridith seems to be extremely resourceful and capable, so I'm sure she'll manage in Texas, but it's another big move, far away from her support networks. I hope she can meet new people and build up a strong and supportive group of friends in their new location. Church is a fantastic way to meet people, so at least there's that.

Stephen has had quite a conventional education, so is he encouraging the same for his children, or is Meridith teaching them at home? I have nothing against home-schooling (I was home-schooled myself, for a couple of years), but Meridith's own education seems to have been quite limited - that problem that seems to keep cropping up with the Next Generation of fundies, whose own home education hasn't prepared them to teach.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Jellybean said:

It's astonishing (and I know we've all said this repeatedly) that Stephen seems to have mapped out his path so clearly, and seems to be achieving all the milestones along the way.

It's interesting to hear that he's planning to settle in Texas (thanks @JermajestyDuggar for the article). For some reason, I had assumed that he and Meridith would settle in, or around, DC. Perhaps because I'd assumed that the White House was on his 'To Do' list. It may still be, but there are plenty of fun Federalist Society people in Texas with whom to network.

Meridith seems to be extremely resourceful and capable, so I'm sure she'll manage in Texas, but it's another big move, far away from her support networks. I hope she can meet new people and build up a strong and supportive group of friends in their new location. Church is a fantastic way to meet people, so at least there's that.

Stephen has had quite a conventional education, so is he encouraging the same for his children, or is Meridith teaching them at home? I have nothing against home-schooling (I was home-schooled myself, for a couple of years), but Meridith's own education seems to have been quite limited - that problem that seems to keep cropping up with the Next Generation of fundies, whose own home education hasn't prepared them to teach.

They have only one boy right now. I wouldn’t be surprised if they give him more educational opportunities when he’s high school age. 

That makes me properly ragey. By all means, educate your sons, but couldn't you give all your children at least a high school education?

Is it ever the case that fundies homeschool their children until secondary school age (or high school) and then send them to a private school?

Girls can still learn skills relevant for homemaking at home, but would also have a platform of knowledge that would serve them well for educating their own children, and if they need to do the bookkeeping for their husband's business, for example.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They have only one boy right now. I wouldn’t be surprised if they give him more educational opportunities when he’s high school age. 

The real test will be what opportunities, if any, are given to their daughters. Also, will Meredith pursue any higher education? At some point, you'd think that the optics of Mr. Princteton/Rhodes/Harvard Law being married to a SOTDRT high school grad would be a problem for a planned political career. 

Re: Ohio clerkship. I couldn't read most of the article due to a paywall popup so missed that detail.

Re: DC. Stephen is clearly riding the white, conservative Christian power train so being in the DC area would be a natural. The TX Bar qualification is interesting though. Much of that state is still a very red R but many are predicting that it will be turning blue over the next decade or so. Still, probably plenty of room for fundie Stephen & his ilk.

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Jellybean said:

That makes me properly ragey. By all means, educate your sons, but couldn't you give all your children at least a high school education?

Is it ever the case that fundies homeschool their children until secondary school age (or high school) and then send them to a private school?

Girls can still learn skills relevant for homemaking at home, but would also have a platform of knowledge that would serve them well for educating their own children, and if they need to do the bookkeeping for their husband's business, for example.

Jeremy Vuolo was homeschooled until high school.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

15 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

The TX Bar qualification is interesting though. Much of that state is still a very red R but many are predicting that it will be turning blue over the next decade or so. Still, probably plenty of room for fundie Stephen & his ilk.

I live in the bluest of blue cities in Texas -- Austin.   Texas is a huge place filled with little towns full of MAGAts.  Millions and millions of MAGAts and I know people that live in some of them; they don't even say out loud that they don't like Trump.  I'm aware of predictions that Texas could turn blue with Hispanic voters and high tech immigrants from CA and elsewhere; maybe in a post-Trump world, if there ever is one -- many consider it likely that Jr. will run after Trump dies. 

I wonder if Stephen is eyeing Texas Senate and then moving up to Ted Cruz's senate seat in the future.  I'd be interested to know which city they move to. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Howl said:

I'd be interested to know which city they move to. 

So would I. Meredith, with her parents & then-fiance Stephen, went to VF's bay-bee conference in San Antonio back in 2010. That seems to be as good a conservative Christian bastion as any in TX.

Also, like many of these (former?) VF kool-aid drinkers, Meredith is still FB friends with a lot of that crowd. This continued connectivity is the kind of thing that makes you wonder about a DPIART comeback tour.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Does anyone have a link to discussion about his wife search/ their relationship or anyone able to give a summary. Its before my time but sounds fascinating 

14 minutes ago, byzant said:

Does anyone have a link to discussion about his wife search/ their relationship or anyone able to give a summary. Its before my time but sounds fascinating 

It goes way back!

Basically, Meredith was a SAHD who used to bake and sew and sell her wares, as well as helping out on the family farm.

Stephen became fundie, having been raised UU, and found Meredith online. He seems to have had a very specific plan in mind, and a clear idea of the kind of wife he needed to go along with that.

There's some more discussion of it on this thread, which is still after the fact, but some comments link back to blogs and talk about the history:

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

Meredith published an account of their courtship story at Shining Stars Magazine, which appears to be offline now.

Here are some excerpts from Meredith's account, which were probably taken from her blog, also offline now:

In early Sept. 2009, I received an email from a reader of my online ministry blog: www.strivingtoserveathome.blogspot.com intended to encourage younger girls who, I later learned, stumbled upon my blog through a fairly random Google search. He wrote about how he was struck by my life choices in regard to living at home and desiring to be a homemaker instead of pursuing our culture’s more typical path of a college degree and full-time career. During a week of emailing, I had the thought to Google his name to make sure his story added up, and to possibly learn more about him. As I came upon article after article expounding on this young man’s exemplary character and impressive accomplishments, I became very hopeful that the Lord may be causing him to find the slightest interest in me!

While I was enjoying getting to know him, and through his emails it became evident that he most likely was interested in me, I knew it was unwise to continue unsupervised correspondence with a young man I met online. I asked my family for their thoughts regarding this situation and decided to email Stephen telling him that I would like to get to know him better, but only with my family’s guidance and approval. I was not interested in carrying on a long-term guy/girl friendship with him and felt it was important for our relationship to be intentional. I was pretty certain that he would think I was extremely presumptuous and archaic, and I would never hear another word from him! I was shocked and thrilled when I read the email he sent my father the following night! I was so amazed and felt so undeserving of this godly, amazing, and brilliant man’s interest. Over the following four months, Stephen and my father corresponded over the telephone and email, discussing Stephen’s walk with the Lord and convictions that are of importance to our family. As I continued to read Stephen’s letters that were sent to my father (I checked my parents’ email address so often, that I usually read Stephen’s emails before my parents did!) and his incredible testimony of God’s saving grace in his life, I began to desire more and more that the Lord would cause him to be the man for me....

I am so blessed to be marrying a man with a desire for us to carry out our biblical roles in our future home. He encourages me and is proud that I want to be a homemaker and helper to him and a dedicated mother to our children. I could not possibly be any more proud to be the girl at his side. I can’t wait to be his wife! Stephen prays the sweetest prayers over us and will be such a wonderful spiritual leader for our future family. We both pray that the Lord will use us mightily as a couple; that we may be a Jonathan and Sarah Edwards of our generation. I pray nearly daily that the Lord will mold me into an excellent wife for such a godly man.

Remember, at the point Stephen contacted her, he had already graduated from Princeton (becoming a fundie Christian while there, after being raised UU) and had won a Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford where he was in the middle of doing a master's degree when he "stumbled" across Meredith's blog. 

Before Stephen came on the scene, Meredith blogged regularly and seemed to be quite the entrepreneur, with her various businesses (baking, bush hogging, real estate, farm work) not to mention being a sister mom to her little sister who was, IIRC, about 15 years younger. Considering her fundie, SAHD beliefs, she was fairly independent & out in the world.

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

On 2/24/2020 at 7:20 PM, Jellybean said:

The wonderful @Bethellasaid in May 2018 that Stephen was 31, so I'm with @hoipolloi

He’s currently 33, birthday in October. 

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Before Stephen came on the scene, Meredith blogged regularly and seemed to be quite the entrepreneur, with her various businesses (baking, bush hogging, real estate, farm work) not to mention being a sister mom to her little sister who was, IIRC, about 15 years younger. Considering her fundie, SAHD beliefs, she was fairly independent & out in the world.

Sheridan is actually 19 years younger than Meredith.

On 2/23/2020 at 11:45 PM, Queen Of Hearts said:

Meredith was added to the list of pregnancies at the end of November 2019, due date was unknown. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3