IGNORED

Stephen Hammer, Harvard Law Graduate

Based on Facebook, looks like Stephen Hammer graduated from HLS this week.

What's next for the Hammer family?

• Thank You 2
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Rosie said:

Based on Facebook, looks like Stephen Hammer graduated from HLS this week.

What's next for the Hammer family?

Eventually the White House

• Disgust 2
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • WTF 1

40 minutes ago, pook said:

Eventually the White House

Believe it or not, I'd take Stephen Hammer over the current occupant of the White House, any day of the week.

But before the White House, what's next for him?  Inquiring minds want to know.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

Coming here from the Jill Duggar thread, Stephen Hammer doesn't look half bad!  Fundie or not, that's an accomplishment.  Well done to Stephen, and well done to Meredith, who probably did a lot of work holding down the homefront so Stephen could study.  

6 minutes ago, Rosie said:

Believe it or not, I'd take Stephen Hammer over the current occupant of the White House, any day of the week.

But before the White House, what's next for him?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Studying for the Bar Exam, I'd imagine, and probably working!  Even if you graduate from Harvard, you still gotta pass that Bar (possibly multiple bars!) and until you do, you're probably stuck doing underling shit at a law firm/legal research/law library in the meantime for $$$ :) 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Studying for the Bar Exam, I'd imagine, and probably working!  Even if you graduate from Harvard, you still gotta pass that Bar (possibly multiple bars!) and until you do, you're probably stuck doing underling shit at a law firm/legal research/law library in the meantime for $$$ :) 

Will be interesting where he's doing that scut work while waiting to take the Bar Exam. Would guess he's got a slot lined up at some RW law practice.

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Would guess he's got a slot lined up at some RW law practice.

Yes, exactly this. 

• Upvote 3

Dude turns my stomach. I can’t handle the perfect little conservative white family thing they’ve got going. It’s just creepy as fuck. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 15

Stephen Hammer is insidious, opportunistic, and IMO creepy AF. He grew up UU, but then made the calculated move of aligning himself with right-wing politics, joining a conservative Presbyterian church, and shopping on line for the perfect fundie wife (who was virginal and as above reproach as Caesar’s wife Calpurnia). Jeff Sharlet’s book “The Family,” about how Christian Dominionism has its hooks in US government, is probably his guidebook rather than a cautionary tale. 

If we were living in a time of liberal upswings among the powerful, he’d be marrying a girl from a hippie commune, driving a Leaf, and stumping for Bernie Sanders.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 14
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, Hane said:

Stephen Hammer is insidious, opportunistic, and IMO creepy AF. He grew up UU, but then made the calculated move of aligning himself with right-wing politics, joining a conservative Presbyterian church, and shopping on line for the perfect fundie wife (who was virginal and as above reproach as Caesar’s wife Calpurnia). Jeff Sharlet’s book “The Family,” about how Christian Dominionism has its hooks in US government, is probably his guidebook rather than a cautionary tale. 

Don't think he's as evil & is/has been a faithful husband to Meredith, but Stephen reminds me of Eric Greitens who was extremely calculating about his conservative political goals & how to reach them. Despite the major mess he's in now, he may yet achieve his goals.

RW = Right Wing. Think it's likely that Stephen has a job lined up at one of the RW law firms where they're all Federalist Society members if not dominionist fundies.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, BigTushieLady said:

What does "RW" mean?

Right Wing.  He spent last summer working at a law firm in DC in some capacity.  I can't remember which one. 

Yes, he still needs to pass the Bar.  And I think he wants to be on the Supreme Court but he may have his sights of the White House.

38 minutes ago, Hane said:

Stephen Hammer is insidious, opportunistic, and IMO creepy AF.

Agreed. He creeps me out too.  His trajectory has been as calculated as fuck and he as ambitious as the day is long.  His choice of wife reflects that, as she has kept the home front going for him without complaint, and has produced multiple little munchkins for the glory of Stephen and well as God..  I fear that he will cheat and - or - dump Meredith if he ever decides that submissive little wifey no longer fits his ambitions.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

@Palimpsest, I don’t see him dumping Meredith unless her very obvious lack of education somehow becomes a political and social liability for his career. I do see him accumulating a secret side piece, and then his career crashing and burning should she go public—which would only happen if he wormed his way pretty high up in the administration.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

I was a die-hard reader of Meredith's blog and let me tell you, their story is SO CREEPY. There is a reason she made her blog private. Although she is accomplished in some ways, she wouldn't be a Harvard Law graduate's dream wife (except in this weird scenario), as far as I know.

I have friends who graduated Princeton and Yale, and I doubt either of them would search out the internet for a stay-at-home-daughter to court and wed. (Yale friend married an equally academically accomplished woman that he met in their mutually chosen medical field.)

So cheers to Google, for when you google "Stephen Hammer Harvard Law Graduate" all the threads come up from here. I'm not sure how that will swing if he has political aspirations in the nearer future.

Edited by meowfundiecatz
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

According to his facebook, he is graduated from Harvard Law and going to Columbus, either for work or vacation. The buddy who posted about Columbus is another Harvard Law grad (with quite a fancy resume!) who is now a lawyer in Ohio.

Here's a list of students honored at the graduation. Stephen's name is noticeably absent. I'm delighted to see they are mostly women.

https://today.law.harvard.edu/students-honored-2018-class-day-ceremony/

He didn't make law review either. Five kids can really mess with your studying.

https://harvardlawreview.org/about/

Edited by Hisey
  • Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Anonymousguest said:

Maybe clerking for Supreme Court?

Following in young Alex Rebelution Harris's footsteps?  A distinct possibility.

If he ends up in DC then it will put Meredith back closer to her family and I think she will like that.

1 hour ago, meowfundiecatz said:

I was a die-hard reader of Meredith's blog and let me tell you, their story is SO CREEPY. There is a reason she made her blog private. Although she is accomplished in some ways, she wouldn't be a Harvard Law graduate's dream wife (except in this weird scenario), as far as I know.

Creepy indeed.

Meredith is as close as I have come to having a pet Fundie (except perhaps for the 7 Sisters) and I agree.  Meredith has gumption and a whole lot of talent but ... she is so under-educated.  And she hasn't had time between pregnancies and looking after children to become more educated.

She may be as happy as the average clam with Stephen and the kids right now.  I hope she is.  I just can't see it working in the long run because I look sideways at Stephen.  Perhaps it will work out.  I sincerely hope so, for Meredith's sake.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

If he ends up in DC then it will put Meredith back closer to her family and I think she will like that.

Creepy indeed.

Yes. They appear to be friends on Facebook (wives anyway).

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Hisey said:

He didn't make law review either. Five kids can really mess with your studying.

https://harvardlawreview.org/about/

Only the very best of the best make the Harvard Law Review. 

Stephen seems to have given up on that rather early and focused on the Harvard Federalist Society instead.  Not much moderate about the Federalist Society but it will probably be helpful as he crawls his way up the food chain.

• Upvote 3

Ugh :( Stephen Hammer creeps me out. He stays so under the radar. You never know what he is going to do, until he does it.  

• Upvote 3

Meredith and Stephen are like a Gilead power couple. He's educated and committed, and she's passive, uneducated and very fertile. That is exactly the world they'd be happiest in. 

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Rosie said:

I'm afraid he would actually get way more awful shit done than our Orange Idiot. 

Stephen is creepy and I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually cheats on Meredith. I don't think she will leave him even if she found out, though. 

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Don't think he's as evil & is/has been a faithful husband to Meredith, but Stephen reminds me of Eric Greitens who was extremely calculating about his conservative political goals & how to reach them. 

Missouri resident here-- you took the words right out of my mouth. Greitens isn't the first MO politician to reinvent himself as a fascist creep solely for the $$$, only the most transparently criminal of them. Those types are the scariest, IMO. They believe in nothing but themselves, and they'd murder a kitten on live TV if only it earned them one more vote. I can't help but think Stephen is the same way.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Only the very best of the best make the Harvard Law Review. 

Stephen seems to have given up on that rather early and focused on the Harvard Federalist Society instead.  Not much moderate about the Federalist Society but it will probably be helpful as he crawls his way up the food chain.

Well, maybe not the "best", but the people who score the highest on their first year exams. If your wife has had two pregnancies while you were a first year, you could be smart but just too damn busy. Some people also "write on" to law review by submitting the best essay on a given topic.

There's no sign that Steven even made any of the other journals. Generally, top students who don't make law review try out for one of the other journals (again, you make it through top grades or good writing, or a combination of both). Some of them are also considered prestigious (though lacking the panache of law review, of course).

Edited by Hisey
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

4 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

Maybe clerking for Supreme Court?

If he didn't make law review there is no way he is clerking for the Supreme Court or any appellate court. He might get a clerkship with a trial court judge in smaller city but usually clerks were on law review. 

He probably won't get an entry level job at a good firm either without graduating with honours or without being on law review. If he did well in competitive moots he might have a chance at some better firms as a litigator. 

Harvard law grads used to all get jobs after graduation, if they didn't have something lined up before graduation but the legal market changed during the great recession and hasn't recovered to what it was pre-recession. There are still firms that like to advertise they have "x" number of Harvard law grads as part of their marketing so they might hire someone who is lower in the class rankings just because they went to Harvard. Also, don't discount the ol' boys club that like to hire recent grads from their old schools. In my experience those firms tend to be pretty male heavy and tend to hire a lot of male recent grads which is telling because law schools are generally 50% or more female these days. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

I really think Stephen--a white, male, Princeton grad, Rhodes Scholar, vet and Harvard Law grad is going to be fine, even if he is not at the top of his class. Say what you will about him (and I don't like him, myself), he has accomplished a lot for a guy who's probably not even 30.

I am sure he'll get employed. He probably got an offer from Cooper and Kirk, where he was a summer associate for two summers. They must've liked him if they had him back a second summer. And he must have liked them or he'd have worked for a different firm his second summer.

Edited by Hisey
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4