IGNORED

Any other good podcasts?

Cat Damon

On 5/29/2018 at 1:20 AM, ladyamylynn said:

Last Podcast on the Left! Crude humor combined with a massive amount of research.  The cult episodes are great, particularly Jonestown, Scientology, and Aum Shinrikiyo.

The first episode was hard for me, because the humor was jarring, but after a couple of episodes I was hooked. It's really well researched and thorough if you give it a chance. 

• Upvote 1

I like the Vanished podcast. Her early ones aren’t super well done, but the ones now I think cover a lot of ground and really include the family. 

http://www.thevanishedpodcast.com/

One of the last ones I listened to was about Ryan Shtuka. His disappearance is bizzare and listening to his mom broke my heart. It’s an interesting episode to check out. 

• Love 1

On 7/4/2018 at 10:52 PM, dora said:

I highly recommend Black Hands, about the Bain Family murders in Dunedin, New Zealand. 

Dora, I am not sure if you are still around but I tried to listen to that one but one of  my brother in laws in New Zealand  is named Bain so it kept throwing me off!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late to this thread but my current obsession is COLD. Oh my god it's SO good and incredibly in-depth. It's about the cold case regarding Susan Powell and her husband Josh Powell. He was suspect in her disappearance, but was never arrested. He later blew up his house with him and his children inside. I don't know if anyone here remembers, but it was back in 2012, I believe.

Anyway, there are no words to truly describe the entire case, it's a MUST listen and I am dying to talk to people about it. I think about it constantly … haha.

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 12:44 PM, Aine said:

'In the Dark' is absolutely amazing. I like Madeleine Baran's style much better than Sarah Koenig of Serial. I got into podcasts outside of 'Stuff You Should Know' with the first season of Serial, even though the second season did nothing for me. 

'In the Dark' focuses more on the evidence, law enforcement and prosecutorial conduct than the "who did it" part. Madeleine and her producers and co-reporters/researchers moved to small town Mississippi for 12 months for their investigation in that season.

The first season covers the Jacob Wetterling murder in Minnesota and the second covers the Tardy Furniture Murders, specifically with the emphasis on a man named Curtis Flowers, who has been tried six times for the same crime now on very sketchy evidence and has served about 21 years on death row although not being convicted. It really zeroes in on the environment even today where I reside (Mississippi), especially in a small town, and the racial and political dynamics of places like this.

I can't recommend both seasons highly enough. They won a Peabody Award for the first season.

Coming out of lurking to say... I just binge listened to all of this after reading your suggestion here. It is fascinating and heart-wrenching and as an Aussie (with our own racial problems, but very different) I was especially struck by the descriptions of racial tensions and what happened in the schools post-segregation. It’s an excellent podcast.

i haven’t listened yet, but my sister recommended me Rebutting a Murderer for those who have seen the Netflix Making a Murderer docos.

I was unimpressed by Casefile, it felt to me like someone just reading all the details off a Wikipedia page with no real questions or thought-provoking or interviews or anything else that makes me feel like I’m listening to someone who has studied the cases in-depth. My Favourite Murder is entertaining enough, but has to be the most poorly researched true crime I’ve listened to so far.

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2019 at 7:48 PM, Blessings of the Corn said:

I'm late to this thread but my current obsession is COLD. Oh my god it's SO good and incredibly in-depth. It's about the cold case regarding Susan Powell and her husband Josh Powell. He was suspect in her disappearance, but was never arrested. He later blew up his house with him and his children inside. I don't know if anyone here remembers, but it was back in 2012, I believe.

Anyway, there are no words to truly describe the entire case, it's a MUST listen and I am dying to talk to people about it. I think about it constantly … haha.

I just binged it this weekend.  It popped up as a suggested podcast. I was familiar with the case from the start, but this has so many more details and information.  I found it very interesting, and his theory actually seems sound. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I listened to Broken Harts and Caliphate this week and I'd recommend them both. Caliphate was mind-blowing in in that I learned a quite a bit about ISIS that I didn't know like how they operate and some of the things that make them different than most of the Salafi jihadist groups.

• 3 weeks later...

@Blessings of the Corn,  I'm gonna have to listen to the COLD podcast about the Susan Cox Powell case.  I'd read the account of the crime in Ann Rule's book Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors and so was familiar with the case.  Yesterday, Discovery ID replayed their show about the case right before Oxygen showed the first of two parts of The Disappearance of Susan Cox Powell. The second part airs tonight.  

I remember hearing about Susan's disappearance the day after it was reported.  

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Blessings of the Corn,  I'm gonna have to listen to the COLD podcast about the Susan Cox Powell case.  I'd read the account of the crime in Ann Rule's book Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors and so was familiar with the case.  Yesterday, Discovery ID replayed their show about the case right before Oxygen showed the first of two parts of The Disappearance of Susan Cox Powell. The second part airs tonight.  

I remember hearing about Susan's disappearance the day after it was reported.  

Thanks - I just set to record these.  

I remember it very early on.  My former inlaws lived in Utah at the time and I was pretty in tune to the news over there.  

I was also glued to the Lori Hacking case when that first unfolded (which was quickly solved and disappeared from the headlines).  

• Upvote 1

I'm currently binging ALL of the My Favorite Murder. It's all I am listening to currently. The ladies are so hilarious.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Parcast Network's Serial Killers and Cults are my favourite true crime podcasts. They both go through the very well known ones, but there's also been some really obscure serial killers and cults I would have never heard about before - and I've considered myself a cult conoisseur! From the more recent ones, my favourites have been River Road Fellowship & The Source Family for Cults podcast, and for Serial Killers, The Butcher of Hanover and The Craigslist Ripper.

HBO started its miniseries Chernobyl last week.  I've stumbled across a podcast that HBO has for the show.  Very informative.  

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, finnlassie said:

Parcast Network's Serial Killers and Cults are my favourite true crime podcasts. They both go through the very well known ones, but there's also been some really obscure serial killers and cults I would have never heard about before - and I've considered myself a cult conoisseur! From the more recent ones, my favourites have been River Road Fellowship & The Source Family for Cults podcast, and for Serial Killers, The Butcher of Hanover and The Craigslist Ripper.

I'm adding Cults to my list!

Lately I've been binging Armchair Expert

1 hour ago, elf1590 said:

I'm adding Cults to my list!

Lately I've been binging Armchair Expert

Woo! It's quite interesting! I was surprised when they did episodes on Free Masonry!

I highly recommend 3 Men and a Mystery. Currently, they are doing a series on the 1999 murders of J. B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett in Ozark, Alabama. They are doing an episode every other week.

On 5/14/2019 at 4:05 AM, RosyDaisy said:

I highly recommend 3 Men and a Mystery. Currently, they are doing a series on the 1999 murders of J. B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett in Ozark, Alabama. They are doing an episode every other week.

For some reason I was expecting the J. B. end with Duggar... :my_angel:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2019 at 7:21 PM, OhNoNike said:

I just binged it this weekend.  It popped up as a suggested podcast. I was familiar with the case from the start, but this has so many more details and information.  I found it very interesting, and his theory actually seems sound. 

I couldn't get through COLD. I got a couple of episodes in but knowing how it ended...I felt like I was just listening to another abusive man and watching a train wreck happen. It made me way too sad and I'm a big true crime buff but it was too triggering for me to make it through ? The parts I listened to were important for many people to hear though. It did a good job of laying out so many red flags for DV.

• I Agree 1

'Culpable' is amazing. Living in Mississippi, I actually have 3 good friends from Meridian and all know many of the people involved and one is a lawyer in Meridian (and raised there) who is also one of those humans that knows everyone everywhere he has lived and he only was away for college and law school. I told all three that I will need a Q&A with them live once the series is over and only after they all listen.

I have also enjoyed 'White Lies' lately. 'The Pope's Long Con' was also a fascinating shorter true crime podcast.

'Crime Junkie' is my favorite for awhile lately. It's the only podcast I have ever joined a paid Patreon of and it's well worth it. It took me a few episodes to get into their style of presenting but it's well researched and they have a true passion and cause behind them for telling untold stories and respecting the victims more than the criminals. 

'Ron Iddles: The Good Cop' was also great as an Australian podcast with a boring name. I'm not a fan of police in general, especially anything referring to one guy as a 'good cop' but I'm positive he didn't name the show and his humility and willingness to admit mistakes and his passion in explaining his investigations of some high profile and interesting Australian murder cases made me miss being around fellow Aussies. I'd like to have a beer with the guy.

@Smee I'm so glad you enjoyed 'In the Dark'. SCOTUS DECISION!!!! ? ? I cried like a baby. I know it's not the end yet but I wish so much that Lola Flowers was here to hear it.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:05 PM, RosyDaisy said:

Gonna check this out for sure!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Aine said:

I couldn't get through COLD. I got a couple of episodes in but knowing how it ended...I felt like I was just listening to another abusive man and watching a train wreck happen. It made me way too sad and I'm a big true crime buff but it was too triggering for me to make it through ? The parts I listened to were important for many people to hear though. It did a good job of laying out so many red flags for DV.

I totally understand that.  Usually I can’t do the kid ones, and this one had struck me hard when it unfolded in real life.  I cried during some of the last part of it.  And it is frustrating because no one will be held accountable.  I saw some of me in her, which is why I think I was so into it.  

But this was one out of my norm because now that I have kids, I can’t really do kid violence anymore.  

(Though I barely did also get through Broken Harts, which was something I hadn’t heard much about since I don’t do news.  Fucked up.)

• Upvote 2

On 7/10/2019 at 3:58 AM, OhNoNike said:

(Though I barely did also get through Broken Harts, which was something I hadn’t heard much about since I don’t do news.  Fucked up.)

I didn't even make an attempt with Broken Harts. I followed the news on the accident right after it happened and for a little while in the early investigating and then I just couldn't do it anymore. 

@Aine I recently found Crime Junkies while trying to stay awake during a long drive. I had never listened to True Crime podcasts before, but now I'm hooked. 

• Upvote 2

I don't do crime podcasts. It's not something that interests me. I like more comedy ones like Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend, Life is Short with Justin Long, Bunny Ears Podcast, The Blume Saloon and This Might Get Weird.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, PianoGal said:

@Aine I recently found Crime Junkies while trying to stay awake during a long drive. I had never listened to True Crime podcasts before, but now I'm hooked. 

Crime Junkie is amazing. I also listen to True Crime Garage and Martinis & Murder... and about some crime and unresolved mysteries in general, I listen to Thinking Sideways.

• Upvote 2

I've just been introduced to podcasts, so I don't have a lot of knowledge of what podcasts might be better than others, but I've been enjoying the following:

Heaven's Gate (finished) - I am always amazed at how people stick with these cults for years and, in this case, until death do we part. 

You Must Remember This (in progress) - tons of episodes on early Hollywood.  I am more interested in some of the subjects than others, so I have been been skipping around, but all are seemingly well-researched.  The producer/narrator also offers her sources if one is inclined to research further.

The Dream - MLMs, anyone?  I have only listened to the first one, but hope to get back to learning about pyramid schemes once I'm done with my early Hollywood obsession.  My daughter recommended this series to me as she learned a lot about how these systems operate. 

Thank you all for all the great suggestions posted in the thread.  I wish there were more hours in the day to listen to more podcasts, because I'm hooked!

• Upvote 1