IGNORED

Any other good podcasts?

Cat Damon

So I’m a casual true crime fan and so far I’ve listened to Serial (my gateway podcast) and I currently listen to Wine and Crime and My Favorite Murder. Are there any other really great ones out there I should start in on? I’m pretty caught up with W&C but only partway through MFM. 

• Love 1

I enjoy Trace Evidence. There’s not an element of humor behind it like My Favorite Murder, but the host really does his homework on the cases and has a voice that’s pleasant to listen to.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Redhanded is one of my favourites to listen to - I also like True Crime Sweden, True Crime Enthusiast, Misconduct and Moms and Murder.

• Thank You 1

Last Podcast on the Left! Crude humor combined with a massive amount of research.  The cult episodes are great, particularly Jonestown, Scientology, and Aum Shinrikiyo.

• I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Generation Why is good. MFM, is an oldie but goodie. Last Podcast on the Left, people either love or hate.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Seconding Casefile here. It highlights lots of UK or Australian/NZ crimes which, as an American, I'm not as familiar with so it makes for interesting listening. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I have been listening to Someone Knows Something, a CBC (Canadian) podcast covering the Wayne Greavette murder.  He was killed by a pipe bomb in the 90s and no one has been arrested for the crime to date. They have three other seasons which follow different murders (I believe).

• Upvote 3

Atlanta Monster was really good and the same team also did Up & Vanished (it was first but I haven’t started it yet) and they’re working on a new one currently. AM is about a string of child murders in the 60s/70s and the man currently serving a sentence for them may or may not be responsible. He is interviewed in several episodes. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve been listening to Unfound lately and really enjoy it. The format is a bit different than what I had grown used to with other podcasts but it grew on me pretty quickly. There’s a FB discussion group as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think either you really love them or really hate them, but if you enjoy stand up comedy/dark humor in your podcasts (especially if you grew up redneck like me) you might like Small Town Murder (James Pietrogallo and Jimmy Wissman) and their other true crime podcast Crime in Sports.  STM is what drew me in.  Definitely NOT a podcast for everyone though.  I am SJW through and through, but to be honest the humor is often very un-PC.  :P

I also listen to The Vanished, Obscura, The Minds of Madness, Australian True rime, and Canadian True Crime.  (In addition to several podcasts already mentioned above!)

While it's not true crime per se, I also really enjoyed Heaven's Gate (about the cult) hosted by Glynn Washington, and then his own podcast story about the cult he was involved in, though the name of that series escapes me for the moment). Also Let's Talk About Sects (hasn't been updated in a long time, but still interesting!).

• Love 1

I enjoy listening to the Revolutions podcast.  The author - one Mike Duncan - talks about the various revolutions that have taken place throughout history, including the English, American, French, Haitian, South American, and so on.

http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/

I just finished up the South America season and now it's moving on to the later 19th century European revolutions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

My very first post on FJ and it's the True Crime forum!  I liked "West Cork"; it is about a murder of a French woman in a remote area of Ireland that was committed about 20 years that hasn't really been solved but a lot of people think they know who did it. It was on Audible.  At the time,  a few months ago, you could try Audible for free for 30 days I think, so that's how I heard it. Maybe you can still do that.

I liked the  first Serial podcast and I really enjoyed "S Town"  It's not really about a true crime but about a very strange collection of characters. Very intriguing.  I also liked "Heaven's Gate." I really enjoyed "Up and Vanished" but haven't listened to host's new podcast on the Atlanta murders.  I was a young woman when the Atlanta murders took place.  Even though I lived in New York, it was all anyone could talk about.  I'm not sure the man they convicted committed the murders, or at least not all of them.  The Atlanta police were very anxious to make an arrest.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a podcast per se but ABC (Australia) radio did an hour broadcast on The Family. If you've ever wondered where Julian Assange came from, well start here.

Also there is an interesting but frustrating (I am ready to strangle the podcast host) podcast on the 1981 disappearance of Lyn Dawson titled The Teacher's Pet. The title is part of my frustration as it refers to a child who was not responsible for the disappearance but was instead a victim of Chris Dawson, Lyn's husband. It is a really poor choice of title and says more about the men behind the podcast than anything else.

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

'In the Dark' is absolutely amazing. I like Madeleine Baran's style much better than Sarah Koenig of Serial. I got into podcasts outside of 'Stuff You Should Know' with the first season of Serial, even though the second season did nothing for me. 

'In the Dark' focuses more on the evidence, law enforcement and prosecutorial conduct than the "who did it" part. Madeleine and her producers and co-reporters/researchers moved to small town Mississippi for 12 months for their investigation in that season.

The first season covers the Jacob Wetterling murder in Minnesota and the second covers the Tardy Furniture Murders, specifically with the emphasis on a man named Curtis Flowers, who has been tried six times for the same crime now on very sketchy evidence and has served about 21 years on death row although not being convicted. It really zeroes in on the environment even today where I reside (Mississippi), especially in a small town, and the racial and political dynamics of places like this.

I can't recommend both seasons highly enough. They won a Peabody Award for the first season.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 11:50 PM, Tigerchild74 said:

I think either you really love them or really hate them, but if you enjoy stand up comedy/dark humor in your podcasts (especially if you grew up redneck like me) you might like Small Town Murder (James Pietrogallo and Jimmy Wissman) and their other true crime podcast Crime in Sports.  STM is what drew me in.  Definitely NOT a podcast for everyone though.  I am SJW through and through, but to be honest the humor is often very un-PC.  :P

I also listen to The Vanished, Obscura, The Minds of Madness, Australian True rime, and Canadian True Crime.  (In addition to several podcasts already mentioned above!)

While it's not true crime per se, I also really enjoyed Heaven's Gate (about the cult) hosted by Glynn Washington, and then his own podcast story about the cult he was involved in, though the name of that series escapes me for the moment). Also Let's Talk About Sects (hasn't been updated in a long time, but still interesting!).

I think the Heaven's Gate podcast is the one I've been listening to.  My daughter said she listened to the entire thing but I'm only about 30 minutes in.  It's very interesting and well done.

The only podcast I really listen to the is the skeptics guide to the universe. It's more news (specifically science news) than entertainment, but I thoroughly enjoy it. Plus they do a really good job of explaining topics in easy to understand language, and they are very careful to point out what you can and can't extrapolate from studies.

I should probably add a disclaimer though, the host is a prominent member of the skeptical movement and as such has some strong opinions in some very polarizing topics. So it's probably not for everyone.

I guess that's not true crime related at all though :pb_lol:

Edited by TuringMachine

• 1 month later...

I fell into this rabbit hole when the Duggar forums went silent.

I like "Searching for Ghosts - Where is Bethany Markowski?" and another rec for "Dirty John" (mentioned above).

Going to download some of these - thanks!

I listen to Trace Evidence and The Vanished. I also follow John Lordan and Danelle Hallan on YouTube.

• 2 months later...