IGNORED

JinJer 39: Waiting to Meet Their Baby Daughter

Jellybean

5 minutes ago, Nargus said:

That and Letterkenny pretty accurately describe life in rural Manitoba too. 

I was just thinking of Letterkenny. I'm from the city, but for real, Out for a Rip and Letterkenny are actually pretty decent representations of rural Ontario, haha.

Oh yeah, and I do own and wear the three wolf moon t-shirt. Only semi-ironically.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I was born in DC. When I had to renew my (Midwest state) driver's license and PROVE that I was a US citizen, I took my birth certificate - you know, from our nation's capital -  and the woman at the DMV argued with me that she couldn't accept it as proof because it didn't have a state listed on it. I had to give her a civics/geography/history lesson while she kept insisting that my birth certificate wasn't valid because it wasn't issued by a state... She asked me numerous times:  "But what state is Washington, DC, in?" 

You can't make this shit up. Next time I renewed, I just took my passport.

@ SapphireSlytherin - Government workers at their best!

Apppologies to any here are working for a goverment office.

10 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

We just went to LV for the first time (well, I'd been as a little kid but didn't remember) back in April.  Driving in from CA was funny.. we were out in the middle of absolutely nowhere and then all of a sudden it was like, oh, that's the strip!  I would recognize that anywhere!  But there's so much to do nearby outdoors when it's not the middle of summer... Red Rock is gorgeous and in the metro area, Zion and Death Valley aren't too far away.  I was disappointed by the Bellagio fountains, though, but I should have known better (I'm not a big crowds/ cheesy tourist stuff person). 

if you came in from the south/west on I-15 yeah...there's a WHOLE LOT OF NOTHING then BLAM! You get hit with Mandalay Bay. It runs parallel to the west side of the strip up to like Charleston I think. 

The first time I drove in, I had NO idea what to expect. I had a GPS and no idea what it was like here. I came in on the 95 and got treated to mountains and the Hoover Dam. I nearly wrecked my car looking around. My husband wants to move closer to the mountains...we both love it here. It's hotter than hell right now but by October it'll be gorgeous again. 

The Strip is overrated (in my opinion). I also had to laugh at the "famous Welcome to Las Vegas" sign. It's a helluva lot smaller than I expected it to be. 

51 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Dang! You got them all! I'll add we all go to prep schools.

I lived in Wisconsin for a large part of my life and there we all live on a dairy farm, drink beer like water, love to hunt, and cheese is the only food group. Oh and we all have cheeseheads.

There’s a boarding school in my town. If I walk around campus does that count as me going there? :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I live in Delaware, and most people's first question is "what state is that in?"

What I know about Delaware (as an Australian) is that because of low or non-existant corporate taxes there, there is a building that has about 1000 corporations registered to it.  I can't remember how I came across that bit of information...

16 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

There’s a boarding school in my town. If I walk around campus does that count as me going there? :pb_lol:

Only if it's Chilton. 

@Fluffypaws, I've seen those before and they sound great! I'm caught between those and an actual aquarium; the former has a lid that will click shut securely and the aquariums are obnoxiously heavy enough to be difficult to knock over. I was leaning towards the aquarium because I'm totally envious of how YouTuber Jenna Marbles had her hamster set up (RIP Ad), but a 40 gallon tank typically runs for $100 or more. :confused: (That's what I would need to fulfill the 450 sq. foot minimum that's recommended.)

@PennySycamore unfortunately, my cats are still young and spry. We have rows of mole entrances in our backyard and we always see my one cat stalking them...sometimes she's successful. :/ Your mention of your cat finding your lost hammies reminds me of when I had several hamsters as a kid and one got out. He was male and known to be horny, so we lured him out of his spot with some of my females. :D

Had to stop lurking to say I'm from Wisconsin, cheese is my favorite food, I love beer, I've been to many packer games in snow or below 0F temps, and I know where to go to visit the best breweries and cheese factories. (No sarcasm)

I also have lived in Minnesota for a while and do have the stereotypical accent and enjoy the warmth when it gets up to the 70s (though this week it's getting to mid or upper 90s with high humidity). I have also been ice fishing, driven on a lake, and take about 2 hours to say goodbye. I haven't ever tried lutefisk though and don't plan to.

These stereotypes don’t just come out of thin air. There is a large grain of truth in all of them. The problem is they have become  running jokes and that’s the very first thing people think now ... Everyone in Texas is a cowboy with a Southern accent , Massachusetts is solely rich pastel colored preppies and so on.

My husband's grandmother in Boston sent the check she'd given us for a wedding gift to my in-laws in Maryland because she didn't know if we got mail in South Carolina.  My mom was a letter carrier and worked for the Post Office for years.

@xlurker and @Beermeet, my daughter and her husband have a cottage in Old Forge in the Adirondacks.  They spend almost a month up there every summer.  (Not this summer though as they just moved into a new house.)  If I had the money to have a place up there, preferably on the lake, I'd go up the first of May and not come back south until mid-October.  I hate hot weather!

I love the pictures and the heartbeat necklace. 

My favorite piece of mom jewelry that I have is a necklace my husband gave me a few years back. It has 3 little charms on it with my kids' finger print on one side and a short quote they wrote themselves on the other. I don't wear it all that often, but I love it. 

(similar to this one)

il_340x270.1372183283_c32t.jpg

I live in California. It would take 8 hours to get to Disneyland, I know no famous people, I teach in a four-room school, and the town is best known for a monastery and walnut orchards.

I am from Baltic States and I am not supposed to be here, because we don't have electricity, internet, or running water. 
Few years ago my relatives hosted some exchange students who arrived with several large bags of potato chips because they thought people here wouldn't know what it was. We have our own chips factory, but thanks, I guess. 

1 hour ago, Stormy said:

@Fluffypaws, I've seen those before and they sound great! I'm caught between those and an actual aquarium; the former has a lid that will click shut securely and the aquariums are obnoxiously heavy enough to be difficult to knock over. I was leaning towards the aquarium because I'm totally envious of how YouTuber Jenna Marbles had her hamster set up (RIP Ad), but a 40 gallon tank typically runs for $100 or more. :confused: (That's what I would need to fulfill the 450 sq. foot minimum that's recommended.)

@PennySycamore unfortunately, my cats are still young and spry. We have rows of mole entrances in our backyard and we always see my one cat stalking them...sometimes she's successful. :/ Your mention of your cat finding your lost hammies reminds me of when I had several hamsters as a kid and one got out. He was male and known to be horny, so we lured him out of his spot with some of my females. :D

Hamster Anecdotes!

Since I can’t have big critters I have seriously been considering a hamster. I had some charmers when i was young. Also some assholes.  I think it would be fun to build a setup for one.

The best hamster I had, Wiggles, was quite an escape artist. He could pop the metal top off his store cage with ease. He always went to the same places, the dishwasher and my brother’s closet. Quite an adept stair climber he was.

Another hamster we had eventually ended up in my brother’s classroom and escaped. They notified the janitor. He managed to pick up all the mouse traps in the school except one. That was very unfortunate. :( 

When I do get a pet I am going to post it in all the threads and go crazy like a new mother. I have pet fever like other people have baby fever

5 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

He did bike to the store last night after Miniway fell asleep to buy chocolate cookie icecream that we could eat infront of the tv though. 

You sound too normal and grounded so I'm gonna fix that for you, Jill style: #besthubbyever #bestpapaofalltime #happyeveraftersdocometrue #seehowperfectmylifeis #themostperfect #ineedonemorepointlesshashtag

I'm from Alberta, Canada. Before anyone gets excited and starts imagining snow capped rocky mountains and glaciers dotted with decorative yet highly functional Mounties in red serge riding chestnut geldings, or wide open range lands full of cowboys and First Nations people in traditional dress, I'm not from that part of Alberta, and I never go there because I'm allergic to Calgary (seriously - full body hives 20 minutes after arriving) and mountains mean bears, and I'm a bear magnet (seriously, last time I went, I had seven very close encounters with bears. Rangers had to rescue me five of those times - the other two I extracted myself from by smashing one bear in the snout with a garbage can lid and climbing down a cliff to avoid a mama bear with two cubs. I had to spend an hour and a half hanging by tree roots over a fifty foot gorge until the bloody things went away - the rangers wanted to stake me out in a mountain valley to lure the problem bears away from the tourists so they could so they shoot them. They might have had a deal - I was loathing anything ursine by that point, but they wouldn't let me go armed - they took my kinda legal hunting knife away! or commit to giving me a bear skin rug for my baiting time, so no dice).

I'm from the capital city - Edmonton, which is a surprisingly diverse City with excellent food (if you know which hole in the wall places to go to  get it - don't ask. It's ours and we don't like to share restaurant recommendations because popularity is death for good food, and that is my table and I don't need a bunch of newbies cluttering it up). The City is situated among little that's actually interesting, and is widely regarded as an incestuous blister of university and government with a generous smattering of oil patch survivors. We are known (unsurprisingly) for having a lot of policies, procedures and rules that outsiders find confusing. According to legend, we drink a ridiculous amount, smoke more than we should and you can't walk down the main street without getting a second hand buzz from the pot in the air (I'm allergic, so I can't wait til it's fully legal - I'll  need a gas mask to get to the sushi take out) or high AF from the steam of mushrooms seeping in tea (the fun kind - not kombucha - the fresh ones are legal here). It's not a problem for most people as they drive big ass pick up trucks and SUVs even though most of them never seem to leave the City (maybe they have bear problems too?).

Edmonton is (theoretically) nice for about two or three months a year, so we are a self proclaimed 'festival city' and every weekend in the summer is marketed as being jammed with opportunities to get baked (in more ways than one), fed and entertained. The bar scene is brutal, and the party districts get intense - especially if there's a big game on. There is even an illegal beach (sandbar) in the middle of the river, which is providing more opportunities for drunken debauchery in the sun (if anyone can figure out how to get onto it without violating the slew of new ordinances council put in place to manage waste, drunkenness and big truck parking in the areas adjacent - It's currently looking empty).

Winters are colder than many parts of Siberia, but it's "a dry cold" which is supposed to make -40 ok (please note: this is a lie we tell ourselves -40 is never ok). Because City Council has decided that we are also a 'winter city' they are trying to push winter festivals. I don't know anyone who goes except for parents with hyper and bored kids, but they have a special winter festival charter funding, and community groups organizing them and staging happy pictures of the 'fun' so it must be a wonderful success that is inspiring us to embrace winter. The media are tame, so they report mostly what  city hall wants unless there's a major boondoggle that they can't ignore. Oh we have a really big maul with an amusement park and water park (I advise against going to the water park - the water is not very clean - so many AHS orders against them), it's a huge tourist attraction for people from elsewhere (mostly Saskatchewan), and while some of us yeggers go to the dread maul occasionally in the winter just to see people and be warm, we generally seem to try to hibernate in our homes as much as possible. 

The Calgary Herald did report on one article where they were trying to find nice things to say about Edmonton, that the women were extremely well dressed and stylish. So that's something I guess....

All stereotypes. All true (to varrying degrees). Fuck I hate this place.

So, I moved to South Dakota a few years back, where everyone knows everyone (since there are only 900k of us in the entire state). 

We have one area code, which we share on the party line, while our tractors are idling, in line for the outhouse.

Our internet is connected via Cream Of Mushroom soup cans and string (once we get the hotdishes assembled).

I agree with the "it's always more complicated" analysis of the definition of fundamentalism- it usually is. But it's also fair to separate the psychological speculation from the religious analysis in the discussions.

For example, I'm curious about the process when someone raised to strict obedience standards and conformity expectations decides to do things a little differently in their own lives. What's the thought process? What's the discussion like? Is there a shift in family dynamics? My interest is more anthropological here (how do they understand their worldview) and that tends towards a more morally relativistic conversation. That's why I agree that it's important to contextualize those type of discussions within the broader religious and cultural landscape, namely, the harm caused by right-wing Christian fundamentalism. 

On a different note, I was reading an article about why viwers of reality TV shows react strongly to news of life events that stars experience. This was after Khloe Kardashian gave birth days after her partner's cheating scandal broke and her fans inundated his social media with trolling. They had a psychologist talking about something they called a parasocial relationship, where people feel like they know someone from the media, and experience real emotions about what goes on in that person's life.

I think if you follow the Duggars closely it's possible to develop some kind of parasocial feelings towards them, even if they you're generally critical of their beliefs (as in feeling happy if you like John David's new girlfriend or what have you). We're human in that sense and really need to jerk ourselves back to the real purpose of FJ sometimes (discuss harmful beliefs).

Sometimes I wonder if I'm nuts following these strangers and belonging to a forum where I talk about them a lot- but the discussions are super interesting on so many levels and relevant to important social forces at work these days. And I'm a nerd.

1 hour ago, PainfullyAware said:

You sound too normal and grounded so I'm gonna fix that for you, Jill style: #besthubbyever #bestpapaofalltime #happyeveraftersdocometrue #seehowperfectmylifeis #themostperfect #ineedonemorepointlesshashtag

If I wrote a post like that Mr Way would think that I had cheated on him and was overcompensating because of guilt or that I was being sarcastic in some way. :kitty-shifty:

Oh so uh, Portland. Well, yeah, can’t really see it through the green fog emanating from every street corner. I do smell it on the streets, openly almost every day.

Seriously, I was on the train today and three “budtenders” from different dispensaries had randomly met at the stop and got on and were talking weed.

I don’t know what’s going on in the other states that have legalized. Here it’s gone a bit nuts. It’s cheaper than booze. We have a million pound surplus for a 4 million person state. You can get it delivered to your door. 

But we are not all smokers. Many of us voted for it though.

Many Oregonians love to “wilderness”  

There’s a strong libertarian bent in the parts of the state that aren’t liberal.

Portlanders are pretty eclectic. There are many expats from the rest of the country who “didn’t fit in” there.

Natives can’t drive in extreme weather because there’s not much of it. They are very kind to pedestrians. East Coast people in particular will comment on that quirk.

And a lot of us are too broke to live alone because everyone moved here and housing went nuts.

But I love it.

I just miss thunderstorms and fireflies.

2 hours ago, Kittikatz said:

I'm from Alberta, Canada. Before anyone gets excited and starts imagining snow capped rocky mountains and glaciers dotted with decorative yet highly functional Mounties in red serge riding chestnut geldings, or wide open range lands full of cowboys and First Nations people in traditional dress, I'm not from that part of Alberta, and I never go there because I'm allergic to Calgary (seriously - full body hives 20 minutes after arriving) and mountains mean bears, and I'm a bear magnet (seriously, last time I went, I had seven very close encounters with bears. Rangers had to rescue me five of those times - the other two I extracted myself from by smashing one bear in the snout with a garbage can lid and climbing down a cliff to avoid a mama bear with two cubs. I had to spend an hour and a half hanging by tree roots over a fifty foot gorge until the bloody things went away - the rangers wanted to stake me out in a mountain valley to lure the problem bears away from the tourists so they could so they shoot them. They might have had a deal - I was loathing anything ursine by that point, but they wouldn't let me go armed - they took my kinda legal hunting knife away! or commit to giving me a bear skin rug for my baiting time, so no dice).

I'm from the capital city - Edmonton, which is a surprisingly diverse City with excellent food (if you know which hole in the wall places to go to  get it - don't ask. It's ours and we don't like to share restaurant recommendations because popularity is death for good food, and that is my table and I don't need a bunch of newbies cluttering it up). The City is situated among little that's actually interesting, and is widely regarded as an incestuous blister of university and government with a generous smattering of oil patch survivors. We are known (unsurprisingly) for having a lot of policies, procedures and rules that outsiders find confusing. According to legend, we drink a ridiculous amount, smoke more than we should and you can't walk down the main street without getting a second hand buzz from the pot in the air (I'm allergic, so I can't wait til it's fully legal - I'll  need a gas mask to get to the sushi take out) or high AF from the steam of mushrooms seeping in tea (the fun kind - not kombucha - the fresh ones are legal here). It's not a problem for most people as they drive big ass pick up trucks and SUVs even though most of them never seem to leave the City (maybe they have bear problems too?).

Edmonton is (theoretically) nice for about two or three months a year, so we are a self proclaimed 'festival city' and every weekend in the summer is marketed as being jammed with opportunities to get baked (in more ways than one), fed and entertained. The bar scene is brutal, and the party districts get intense - especially if there's a big game on. There is even an illegal beach (sandbar) in the middle of the river, which is providing more opportunities for drunken debauchery in the sun (if anyone can figure out how to get onto it without violating the slew of new ordinances council put in place to manage waste, drunkenness and big truck parking in the areas adjacent - It's currently looking empty).

Winters are colder than many parts of Siberia, but it's "a dry cold" which is supposed to make -40 ok (please note: this is a lie we tell ourselves -40 is never ok). Because City Council has decided that we are also a 'winter city' they are trying to push winter festivals. I don't know anyone who goes except for parents with hyper and bored kids, but they have a special winter festival charter funding, and community groups organizing them and staging happy pictures of the 'fun' so it must be a wonderful success that is inspiring us to embrace winter. The media are tame, so they report mostly what  city hall wants unless there's a major boondoggle that they can't ignore. Oh we have a really big maul with an amusement park and water park (I advise against going to the water park - the water is not very clean - so many AHS orders against them), it's a huge tourist attraction for people from elsewhere (mostly Saskatchewan), and while some of us yeggers go to the dread maul occasionally in the winter just to see people and be warm, we generally seem to try to hibernate in our homes as much as possible. 

The Calgary Herald did report on one article where they were trying to find nice things to say about Edmonton, that the women were extremely well dressed and stylish. So that's something I guess....

All stereotypes. All true (to varrying degrees). Fuck I hate this place.

Was reading to see if Jinger had her baby yet. Apparently not, I hope I don't miss the news in the middle of my move. 

I've lived in South Alberta snce November '05. When it's great, it's great, but when it's bad, it's bad. 

I hope to be moving back home to Newfoundland later this year. It's going to be bittersweet. It's not the same place I left. I'm not the same person I was. 

Back to Jinger. I really hope her last days of pregnancy go well and the birth too. Those maternity photos are gorgeous!

I am laughing at some of the stereotypes people are talking about. Some of the stereotypes associated with being from Glasgow, well technically live in South Lanarkshire. Do you eat deep fried Mars bars? Never tried it and never seen a chip shop that sells them. Celtic or Rangers and do opposing fans hate each other? Celtic and no, it is minority idiots from both sides that cause trouble. For Scotland as a whole Do men wear kilts all the time? No at weddings, Scotland football or Rugby games or if they are piper's. Do you drink Whisky? No, I prefer Bourbon to whisky but I do drink Scotland's other national drink Irn Bru. 

10 hours ago, InTheNameofRufus said:

So much this!!!! I’m across the state in Buffalo, you know, where it snows year round. Ok, so a part of our area got 7 feet in 24 hours a few years ago, but that’s not normal! :my_smile:

Yes!! I have crazy pictures from that storm!! We couldn't even open our doors because the snow was so high! Our vehicles were literally buried! It was fun but crazy! 

7 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

Had to stop lurking to say I'm from Wisconsin, cheese is my favorite food, I love beer, I've been to many packer games in snow or below 0F temps, and I know where to go to visit the best breweries and cheese factories. (No sarcasm)

I also have lived in Minnesota for a while and do have the stereotypical accent and enjoy the warmth when it gets up to the 70s (though this week it's getting to mid or upper 90s with high humidity). I have also been ice fishing, driven on a lake, and take about 2 hours to say goodbye. I haven't ever tried lutefisk though and don't plan to.

Well, to be honest I miss cheese curds, Door County, "up North", brewery tours, the lakefront, the beauty of the cranberry harvest, and the Packers. (In Giants and Patriots country now, ugh). 

I totally agree on your stance towards lutefisk. Some things are better left alone.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived