IGNORED

JinJer 39: Waiting to Meet Their Baby Daughter

Jellybean

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're real! Some of the books in the photo I recognize as Easton Press' leatherbound editions. You often see them at used bookstores at affordable prices.

It's weird to have so many books that are for show rather than for reading. Like taking a picture so you can post about your deep intellectual conversations:

Spoiler

Damn. It looks like Jeremy was flipping someone off at first glance. 

The look on his face isn't quite "I'm so excited!" Imo

4 hours ago, RainbowSky said:

Damn. It looks like Jeremy was flipping someone off at first glance. 

The look on his face isn't quite "I'm so excited!" Imo

That’s his “I’m a serious scholar” face. Everyone knows scholars never smile because, learning is serious, not fun.

I feel terrible for the Little girl when/if she gets into and mars one of his precious books. I have a  strong feeling he will not be very patient, understanding or tolerant with children’s foibles or Jinger when she dosen't forever keep them adorable ,spotless Godly model children he can show off. 

56 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I feel terrible for the Little girl when/if she gets into and mars one of his precious books. I have a  strong feeling he will not be very patient, understanding or tolerant with children’s foibles or Jinger when she dosen't forever keep them adorable ,spotless Godly model children he can show off. 

I'd expect he'd put a baby gate up so that they can't get in his precious office. I have a feeling she will always be dressed very cute but that's the easy part. The hard part for jinger  is that jinjer will be expected to look perfect and spotless. Which in my opinion is harder when you have a baby that needs you to get your hair and make up done and coordinate everyone's outfits. 

Took my response out, and since I can't delete the post, I have to put something here.

9 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

It's weird to have so many books that are for show rather than for reading. Like taking a picture so you can post about your deep intellectual conversations:

Reveal hidden contents

At a glance I assumed that the bald guy was talking about a huge dildo with a suction cup that was attached to the ceiling and Jeremy's just sitting there like Hmm. I didn't know the cup part was strong enough to hold them up there. Gonna have to stock up on those.

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

Backstory: My daughter did that a few months ago. I have a few special books I keep in a low cupboard downstairs because the dog wasn’t able to get to them. One is a German language cookbook that belonged to my Great-Aunt - she got it from her mother who likely got it from her’s. I had found an English version of it and let my Great-Aunt borrow it shortly before she died. She was so excited to look through it because she couldn’t speak German. Her granddaughter (my dad’s cousin) and my parents gave the book back to me after she passed and also gave me the German copy as well. So it’s a special book for me.

All that said, I didn’t realize my now 18 month old daughter was becoming so good at opening small doors so I hadn’t moved the book somewhere safe. She got ahold of it and accidentally shook one of the front pages out. I felt pretty stupid, had a good laugh at myself, and then gently placed the book on the shelf in my closet where it should be safe - unless she learns to levitate or something, but the book will be the least of our problems if that happens. 

JinJer could always gate the door, but that won’t work forever. Kids are naturally curious little creatures and they have an instinct for pushing boundaries and learning. It also only takes just one time of forgetting to lock the gate or close the door for a kid to get into mischief. Hopefully when that happens (and she will get into some kind of mischief eventually, even if it’s not book related) her parents take a laugh it off approach. If they don’t and they get ridiculously angry with her we’ll never hear about it - it’ll just be cute photos of their daughter dressed nicely or playing nicely, cute photos of them as a family, and somewhat witty captions. 

At some age there has to be repercussions I'm not concerned about them disciplining in general... I'm more concerned if its developmentally appropriate, fair, and loving. I think having izzy clean the walls he drew on is appropriate and fair (according to the CDC and APA) but posting about it in Instagram isn't loving, it's shaming. I think Jeremy and jinger would be the best out of all of them at hiding questionable parenting. 

I have a strong feeling that theirs will be one of those households were children are NEVER allowed to go inside daddy's study.

1 minute ago, JillyO said:

I have a strong feeling that theirs will be one of those households were children are NEVER allowed to go inside daddy's study.

Honestly - I really don't have much of a problem with that. There are places that are off-limits to kids for whatever reason. If they choose to keep Jeremy's study off-limits, it's up to them. 

I kept my kid out of the downstairs bathroom (I locked the door at all times), and off the stairs (I had to put up stacked gates because she was a little monkey/climber), and out of the laundry room (because she didn't NEED to be in there for any reason), and out of the closet where we kept the litter box (for obvious reasons).

15 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Honestly - I really don't have much of a problem with that. There are places that are off-limits to kids for whatever reason. If they choose to keep Jeremy's study off-limits, it's up to them. 

I kept my kid out of the downstairs bathroom (I locked the door at all times), and off the stairs (I had to put up stacked gates because she was a little monkey/climber), and out of the laundry room (because she didn't NEED to be in there for any reason), and out of the closet where we kept the litter box (for obvious reasons).

I agree, but it really depends on how they ultimately choose to keep her out. If they only use baby gates, locks, and other normal methods that’s fine. If they’re also blanket training or something then that’s not ok. 

(And I do firmly believe blanket training is still a very real possibility. This will be their first child, we have no clue how they’ll parent, they have no family around to help on a regular basis, and Jinger was raised thinking that it’s normal to hit children so they behave. Jeremy’s thoughts will likely be an important part of how they handle this and I think he could lean either way - he either won’t want the blanket training to happen or he’ll love the idea because it’ll teach their daughter to be a well behaved little Princess.)

Well it’s going to be what Jeremy approves of that goes. That’s a given.  We will never know either way  just like we don’t know with any of the Duggar grandchildren. 

I think blanket training might come later after two or three children. But I am sure they will use some sort of physical punishment. Maybe not in the baby stage but when their daughter reaches the age of two or three.

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

I work from home and my office is right off the front door. GOD how I wish that I could close my office and not let anyone in. My son is 5 and not too terribly destructive - but he DOES love post it notes - as in taking each one off individually. 

So - I put stuff away etc - and cross my fingers. 
(But I also have a little desk in here for him and a "teeny tiny chair" (his words) so he can color or something while I'm working if he's home. 

On 6/19/2018 at 4:03 AM, Chippy said:

I think she’ll probably go a little late, too. I’m waiting to see, though, if I’ll give birth around the same time. I’m a couple weeks behind her but measuring big (again). 

My due date was moved two days back at the 20 week scan. Miniway was very punctual. The water broke early on the new due date but he came out on the old one. So far this has been the only time he’s been punctual. :)

21 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

My guess is that it is their house and it is "books by the yard (or metre)."  Real bibliophiles bookshelves do not look like that.  We buy for the actual content not the fancy binding.

If I had many books with fancy bindings I would probably put them together so that it looked good. I only have like three though and they’re put in next to my cheap paperbacks. :)

18 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

Hide contents

That book on the desk though.... Is he trying to get some tips from Jim and Tammy Faye...?

1 hour ago, Iamtheway said:

My due date was moved two days back at the 20 week scan. Miniway was very punctual. The water broke early on the new due date but he came out on the old one. So far this has been the only time he’s been punctual. :)

Both of my minis have been forced out - roughly a week early. Number one for dilating for weeks and then just stopping and number two for being very large (2 ounces short of 10 pounds). This one will be as well. My sizing scan is in a few weeks. Fingers crossed for slowing down on growth. Baby maker will be promptly turned off afterwards. Haha. 

A few years ago in either Architectural Digest or Elle Decor, there was an article about a designer's home in Spain.  There was a picture of the master bedroom and there were books in there that you could tell that were actually read.  Not all of the books were hardcover; there were a number of paperbacks there.  These books weren't there for show, but to be read.   The books behind Jeremy are for show.

I have some books that look almost pristine. I have some that are beat to shit. I've read them all but some I take better care of than others. I have a few of those fancy, leather bound types, my pride and joy is the fancy edition of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Its totally pristine...I have another copy that's beat to shit. 

But then again, my books aren't for show...they are a cross-section of my interests, from theology to aerospace geek to Tom Clancy and Clive Cussler...

On 6/20/2018 at 11:25 PM, PainfullyAware said:

Hide contents

I collect books. I have some books that are old and just for looks. If I want to read them, I’ll buy newer versions of them. I have some books that will stay on the shelf for years until I want to show somebody, read it again, or check out an excerpt from it. I love all of my books, even if all I ever see of some are the spine. They make me smile. And I love when others have books on display as well, even though I know they haven’t read most of them in at least quite some time. 

I have a few scattered "fancy" bound books mixed in with the "normal" ones. They were mostly gifts. I have a few really treasured ones that are over a century old... certainly not mint condition, but beautiful.

I do have two beautifully bound collections of 12ish books each that I never read. They're both inherited from my parents. One is older children's stories (Heidi, Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, etc). The thing is, I know they're largely abridged or folk tales, and I want to know more about the editions before I dig in. The last time I did a quick Google, I couldn't find any useful info.

The other collection are all Spanish translations of English novels, with a few exceptions... I think there's an originally Russian or French novel in there. Again, I want to know more about the editions/translations before I dig in.

I admit that they're functionally decorations, but I'm keeping them around as long as I can :)

When it comes to Jeremy, part of me gets the appeal of pretty books, but another part of me thinks it's just slimy and conniving. He'll never admit it's all form over function.

Book collecting (not just amassing favorite books but procuring+preserving collectible editions and rare books like the ones Jeremy was pricing in the last insta) is a really interesting but very expensive hobby. Maybe not the best project for a newbie pastor at a a church smaller than your average Great Clips, but I know better than to expect fundie finances to make sense.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived