Jellybean

I'm late.

I love the dress, while the similar Mette Marit wore looked lighter and more romantic. Anyway, Meghan's outfit was modest, very appropiate for a royal wedding. Harry's outfit was also "serious". It's like they're saying they are no more the nightclub boy and the actress girl, but a mature couple devoted to the crown. 

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The queen essentially wears a costume in public. Blocks of bright solid colour including shoes and hat in order to stand out from the crowd. So many people go to see here that so she tries to be distinctive so that they can pick her out even from a distance.

To everyone saying the bishop’s  sermon was too long, y’all have it easy over there because it was short to me. 

Looks like half of FJ wouldn’t last a Sunday in black church :pb_lol:

To be fair I was thoroughly entertained by the reactions of the congregation. I hollered and made snarky captions through the whole thing. And when he mentioned slavery and smashed his fist on the podium for emphasis, I screamed. 

I was waiting for him to say “Can I get an amen?!” or “Turn to your neighbour and tell them love is the only way” 

Nope, didn't make it through the first airing and my recording didn't work luckily there was another replay later today. I loved the wedding! Meghan's dress was so beautiful. The little bridesmaids and pageboys were so cute. I loved the last little girl wiping her forehead as she left the aisle as if happy that it was over.  Doria looked beautiful but I wish she had a friend or relative of hers sitting with her. I loved how happy the couple looked from beginning to end. I loved they played Stand by Me. I love that song and the cellist later was really good. I liked the Bishop's speech. I liked Kate's dress, loved Amal's dress and George Clooney. I love the relationship between William and Harry its really nice. I loved that Meghan wore Mary's tiara. My favorite part of William's and Henry's weddings is how happy the bride and groom were. You can see how much they love each other. That's really nice. I have no idea where Meghan's dress fits on my list there's just too many to chose from Princess Grace's, Claire of Luxembourg, Victoria and Madeleine of Sweden, Maxima's, the Queen's, Queen Mother's and that's not going back further... I'm glad Philip was able to attend both he and the Queen have some real good genes or something. 

Am I the only one sensing a little animosity? jealousy? from Kate toward Meghan? Who would wear an off-white/ivory dress to someone else’s wedding? :( 

39 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Am I the only one sensing a little animosity? jealousy? from Kate toward Meghan? Who would wear an off-white/ivory dress to someone else’s wedding? :( 

...Kate's own sister Pippa at her wedding? Let's not read too much into that. I think everyone knew well enough who's the bride.

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Who would wear an off-white/ivory dress to someone else’s wedding? :( 

My mom wore an ivory colored dress to my wedding. :) She checked with me first, though. She bought 2 similar dresses and the ivory one just worked better than the navy blue one. Everyone could easily tell I was the bride. ;)

5 hours ago, apandaaries said:

I thought Camilla's hat looked more oddly-alienish floral, like she was trying to get Charles' attention away from the flowers.

Her hat really was something else. It rather looks like something my daughter would have put together when she was younger and going through her fake feathers, glitter and glue crafting stage. 

camilla-hat-royal-wedding-1348944.jpg

Finally got round to watching the wedding.

Overall liked Meghan's dress. I actually love Bateau necklines, and the overall simplicity of the dress. Personally I would have added a few more details (such as embroidery on the bodice or the hem), but I can understand her keeping it simple given its not her first marriage and her status within the royal family. I also liked that it was white over ivory or an off white. She really suited it.

I like the idea of the embroidery of the Commonwealth flowers on the veil (I think I even spotted a silver fern!), but it was too long and fussy in my opinion. I do look forward to seeing this in detail, as I'm wondering if it's exclusively the national emblems or regional ones are on there too. Australia's emblem is the Golden Wattle, but some of the state ones include the Waratah, Sturts Desert Pea and Kangaroo Paw which are all very unique and I'd love to see embroidered!I I'm fairly sure the Queen also had Commonwealth floral embroidered on her coronation gown so that is a nice tribute to her also.

I don't think Catherine was trying to steal the show despite the pale colour of her outfit. Wearing something she's worn before (in my opinion) ensures she's not drawing as much attention away from Meghan. She gave birth all of 3 weeks ago, but I haven't seen one article about her "post baby body" which is a good thing too. I'm also fairly certain Meghan would have been aware of what she was wearing.

Overall quite enjoyed it. 

Oh my, now I get the Princess Anne bathrobe reference. :laughing-rolling: Seriously, did she run out of things to wear? 

I don't mind Camilla's hat. I dunno, freaky hats have been her style forever and I feel like Camilla can't do anything right anyway so why bother. I don't mind her but then again, I don't follow the British royals too closely to know why she gets so much heat. All I see is that Charles is obviously happy to be with the woman he always wanted to be, and he seemed very happy yesterday. It must have been quite special for him to get to accompany a daughter on her way to the altar. He wouldn't have had this chance otherwise. It was nice to watch. 

I have followed some wedding dress comparisons and discussions on Instagram and between Diana's, Kate's, and Meghan's dress, most people vote for Kate's. I also don't seem to be the only one who considers Meghan's dress just so ill-fitting. I don't mind the classy, plain look at all, but something just seemed so off. 

Here are a couple of classy, plain royal wedding dresses that did not irritate me the way Meghan's did: 

Spoiler

#1 Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden: The crown princess's dress had a Bateau neckline as well but short sleeves. She is very fit and loves sports and the sash around her waist complimented that very well. I guess when you have a back like that, you might as well show it. It was really wonderful all around. She looked less romantic, and more regal. Which is appropriate if you're the crown princess, I guess. 

I may or may not have bought a pair of similar earrings and worn them forever after that wedding as those carved gems are just so pretty. :pb_lol: Bonus points also because she was the happiest royal bride I've ever seen. She was beaming with happiness on her wedding day. 

Vestidos-de-noiva-de-princesas-reais-Vic

DressWaist.jpg

article-1277047843225-0a1d34b3000005dc-5

Spoiler

Princess Mary of Denmark: First of all, I am not a big fan of the layers of fabric at the bottom. Somehow those look weird to me and maybe a bit bulky. The champagne color suited her well, though, and the neckline is pretty (as was Meghan's). However, Mary's dress's sleeves...those are sleeves well done. The dress was more form fitting and I am really digging the hairdo. My lay opinion says the fabrics are not very comparable as one is silk the other satin, but I may be wrong. 

MaryDonaldsondresssketch02.jpg

Picture-43.png

Spoiler

Princess Mette Marit of Norway's wedding dress: It's simple, elegant, classy, understated but incredibly beautiful. Bonus points to the dress for looking like the most comfortable of them all.  The flowers however...I dunno. They've been married for 17 years and I still cannot decide if I like to 'bouquet' or not. :pb_lol:

norwegian-royal-wedding-dress-1516597502#

_BestMMFront2.jpg

On top of all that, did anyone notice Meghan's dress looks a lot like Princess Cristina of Spain's dress back then? 

Spoiler

6c2d685a8d89b725b33b9bdbfece8bf1--royal-

0000333180-008.jpg

7 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I don’t know if it’s jelaousy but it is a strange choice. And I don’t consider Pippa wearing white at Kate’s wedding to be the same as Kate likely had a hand in the decision of her maid of honor’s dress. 

I wouldn’t wear ivory to a friend’s wedding. It’s just odd. 

I read that Kate’s dress was actually buttercream, but was photographing as white. I don’t think she would wear white for sure. 

44 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I read that Kate’s dress was actually buttercream, but was photographing as white. I don’t think she would wear white for sure. 

I thought it was light yellow. I don't see a problem. It's not like she wore a really hot champagne dress to her future SiL's wedding. It was really modest and understated. I see no issues there. Now, Kate's side eye to Camilla is gold. It's probably completely unintentional, but y'all know how the tabloids can blow it out of proportion.

I'd be very surprised if Kate hadn't discussed what she would be wearing with Meghan beforehand. Kate's dress, whatever its actual colour, didn't even remotely look like it could be a wedding dress (i.e. it's not quite the same as wearing a lacy white sundress to your friend's wedding). And while I don't know Kate (lol obviously) and have no idea what she's actually like as a person, she's never remotely given me the impression that she would resort to petty and immature little jibes like 'wearing white to a wedding' in order to insult someone she didn't like.

7 hours ago, ScorpiousMalfoy said:

...Kate's own sister Pippa at her wedding? Let's not read too much into that. I think everyone knew well enough who's the bride.

Yeah - and I could be wrong, but I think that wearing white at a wedding when not the bride isn’t considered to be as big as a faux pas in the UK as it is in the US. Perhaps because, with the hats and the expectation of daytime wear, there’s no chance a guest could be mistaken for the bride - and the idea of Don’t Let Anyone Outshine The Bride on Her Pretty Princess Day is also the kind of thinking that traditional Brits would scoff at as being a little bit self-obsessed I think.

Kate's outfit was pale yellow, primrose, buttercream, whatever.  To my eyes, Camilla's pale pink actually photographed even lighter.

59 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

And I don’t consider Pippa wearing white at Kate’s wedding to be the same as Kate likely had a hand in the decision of her maid of honor’s dress. 

The royals have a long tradition of bridesmaids wearing white so Pippa's dress was not out of line at all.  You can check out pictures of Princess Margaret's wedding - bridesmaids all in white.  Princess Anne's wedding - Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones (now Chatto) in white.  Diana's bridesmaids - a sea of white. 

Lady Sarah Chatto wore one of my favorite royal wedding dresses and her adult bridesmaids were all dressed in white too.  https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/07/14/wedding-of-lady-sarah-chatto/

Didn't get up early to watch, like I did all those years ago for Charles and Diana's wedding, but I did watch parts of the reruns later, which seemed about right fir me. I like a good wedding, but not going to lose sleep for it!

My first reaction to the dress was that it was too plain and hung a bit sack-like.  By the end of the broadcast I changed my mind completely. The simplicity of it made you focus on her. It drew attention to her face and made her look graceful and romantic. The giant veil was embellishment enough for me. Overall, it was a look that reminded me of medieval weddings, or maybe just pre-Raphaelite paintings of what they thought medieval weddings should look like.  The fit might have been better, but it didn't bother me. 

Re:colors, Oprah actually had an Instagram video thanking the team that made her dress for doing an all-nighter remaking the dress in a different color because the original one photographed too light/white. 

Oh crap. I'm planning on wearing (was planning?) a light yellow dress for a wedding this summer. Maybe not such a good idea...? 

29 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Kate's outfit was pale yellow, primrose, buttercream, whatever.  To my eyes, Camilla's pale pink actually photographed even lighter.

The royals have a long tradition of bridesmaids wearing white so Pippa's dress was not out of line at all.  You can check out pictures of Princess Margaret's wedding - bridesmaids all in white.  Princess Anne's wedding - Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones (now Chatto) in white.  Diana's bridesmaids - a sea of white. 

Lady Sarah Chatto wore one of my favorite royal wedding dresses and her adult bridesmaids were all dressed in white too.  https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/07/14/wedding-of-lady-sarah-chatto/

I agree the white bridesmaid dress trend is common in general right now. I was just elaborating on comments made by a previous poster. I still think ivory/buttercream is a peculiar choice at a wedding but I highly doubt she was attempting to be petty. 

Here are some photos of the same dress on previous occasions.

Spoiler

9B32025B-8919-4C9A-B642-083D64D795BA.thumb.png.eb6ac885a9978c75ad8dc390a56cacf3.png

Spoiler

3FD7F2D6-043C-453D-8420-1F9DD77925C3.thumb.png.d19f0a2c5e0488ca22428548e7b5756d.png

Spoiler

EB0C3084-72EA-4A9D-A4CF-36521AB22B4C.thumb.png.fad245fe7e6c7732e33c8e79260ef5d1.png

I really don’t see why Kate would’ve mentioned what she was wearing to Meghan ahead of time. It seems like a strange thing to say “I’m planning on rewearing my ivory dress to your wedding.” What would be the point of that conversation, unless she really did doubt herself while wearing that color. But I think if she had any doubts she would’ve just picked something else. To me, the most likely scenario is that she simply didn’t think it was a big deal.

40 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Overall, it was a look that reminded me of medieval weddings, or maybe just pre-Raphaelite paintings of what they thought medieval weddings should look like. 

I thought exactly the same thing, and I think that's part of why I loved it so much. The aesthetic definitely appealed to me.

21 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

I really don’t see why Kate would’ve mentioned what she was wearing to Meghan ahead of time. It seems like a strange thing to say “I’m planning on rewearing my ivory dress to your wedding.” What would be the point of that conversation, unless she really did doubt herself while wearing that color. But I think if she had any doubts she would’ve just picked something else. To me, the most likely scenario is that she simply didn’t think it was a big deal.

Well, I always just tend to assume that the main players coordinate their outfits before events like this. But I could be completely wrong! I agree that she obviously didn't see it as a big deal (vs. the idea that she was doing it to spite Meghan), and it wasn't. 

britain-royals-wedding-photographs.jpg

I really wish we could see what they were reacting to in this photo, haha!

18 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

britain-royals-wedding-photographs.jpg

I really wish we could see what they were reacting to in this photo, haha!

They were like "OMG @SapphireSlytherin!!!  You made it!  What a lovely surprise to see you!"

:D

I loved the simplicity of Megan's dress. The real showstopper was the veil/tiara combo: the visual impact came from the sweep of the five-meter veil and the sparkle on the tiara, and both the neckline and the hairstyle framed Megan's face perfectly.

The fit was supposed to be a tiny bit more relaxed than body-con originally, and I would guess that any fit problems came from her losing a bit of weight the week beforehand, from stress.

I'm cracking up at descriptions of the veil, though. We've been told that "The front of the veil includes crops of wheat blending into the flora, symbolizing love and charity." Well, wheat has also always symbolized fertility. They're carefully not mentioning that!

2 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

I'm cracking up at descriptions of the veil, though. We've been told that "The front of the veil includes crops of wheat blending into the flora, symbolizing love and charity." Well, wheat has also always symbolized fertility. They're carefully not mentioning that!

I noticed during the ceremony that every time there was any mention of family, love creating family, new family, etc. Harry and Meghan looked at each other and smiled. I took it as reflecting the truth of Harry's (much maligned) statement that his family has now become 'the family she never had'. But they've also been very open about the fact that they want children soon. My mum and I were talking about this, and I looked at her and stage whispered, "She's already pregnant!" :P Who knows, but I have a feeling that if all goes well it won't be more than a  year or so. She's entering her late 30s, so just practically speaking they have to start sooner rather than later.

18 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

[···] And the American preacher was too much as I heard one comment that he was “stealing the show” which you never ever ever should do at a wedding. 

People are not coming to be enlightened, if that hasn’t happened it just might not happen then either. 

[···]

My exact thoughts. It is not anyone's divine right to jam a message down the guests throats at anyone's wedding unless the bride and groom specifically ask for it. I get the sneaking suspicion both Harry and Meghan were as surprised as their guest. Btw, I thought the guest responses were just a rude as the minister's gesture. Yeah he was ooc, but they should have sucked it up for the bride and groom.

Also, people are confusing church services with weddings. I do understand that some request a full sermon at their weddings (always to my dismay) but usually the message is lighthearted and meant to give principles of a strong and lasting marriage foundation.

With all due respect, this minister was out of line in my opinion. I muted him several times while my husband unmuted. lol We played this game for awhile which helped me get through the message. In the end he said the guy was terrible but we needed to support Meghan and Harry (as if they reaaaalllyy needed us). This is coming from a man who swore he would not watch. Smh. lol

Anyway, it happened. And it's not the worse thing that could happen, but I was not fond of this minister to say the least.

Archived