Jellybean

26 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

Interesting. Whatever you were reading is in direct contradiction of any past precedent in the British Royal Family, so there's a really good chance it was incorrect speculation. All of the articles I've found agree that she'll be "Princess Eugenie, Mrs Jack Brooksbank". 

For another recent example we have the Queen's first cousin - "Princess Alexandra of Kent", who became "Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Mrs Angus Ogilvy", then "Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy" when her husband was knighted.

It's possible I have the names/title in the wrong order, but it specifically said she would retain her title of Princess.  I think I also heard it on the news on tv but I'm not positive on that.  I'm not up on all the titles, etc., of the British Monarchy.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Briefly said:

It's possible I have the names/title in the wrong order, but it specifically said she would retain her title of Princess.  I think I also heard it on the news on tv but I'm not positive on that.  I'm not up on all the titles, etc., of the British Monarchy.

Oh yes, she'll definitely still be "Princess Eugenie," it's the territorial designation "of York" that she will drop, to replace it with her husband's title (or lack thereof). So she'll be "HRH Princess Eugenie, Mrs Jack Brooksbank" while he'll just be "Mr Jack Brooksbank".

British princesses (those born Princesses rather than commoners who marry princess) don't give up their royal status on marriage, just the courtesy territorial designations of their fathers. 

As it currently stands Beatrice will do the same, as will little Princess Charlotte of Cambridge eventually (though she might be either "Princess Charlotte of Wales" or "The Princess Charlotte" by then).

43 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

Oh yes, she'll definitely still be "Princess Eugenie," it's the territorial designation "of York" that she will drop, to replace it with her husband's title (or lack thereof). So she'll be "HRH Princess Eugenie, Mrs Jack Brooksbank" while he'll just be "Mr Jack Brooksbank".

British princesses (those born Princesses rather than commoners who marry princess) don't give up their royal status on marriage, just the courtesy territorial designations of their fathers. 

As it currently stands Beatrice will do the same, as will little Princess Charlotte of Cambridge eventually (though she might be either "Princess Charlotte of Wales" or "The Princess Charlotte" by then).

At some point Charlotte could become The Princess Royal.

I don't think they'll make Louis Duke of York. I think they'll wait a while to reuse that title. 

On 8/1/2018 at 1:08 AM, metheglyn said:

Charlotte won’t be of Wales as far as I know. William will become the Prince of Wales when Charles accends the throne, and Kate will be Princess of Wales. I think the kids will possibly keep Cambridge until they marry or are otherwise titled. For example when William accends the thrown George will be Prince of Wales. Charlotte will become the Princess Royal at some point. I could be wrong on them keeping Cambridge though 

I think George, Charlotte and Louis become Wales when Charles becomes king and makes William Prince of Wales.  I'm guessing they would use Cornwall between Charles becoming King and making William Prince of Wales.

On 8/4/2018 at 8:33 PM, BlessaYourHeart said:

Charlotte won’t be of Wales as far as I know. William will become the Prince of Wales when Charles accends the throne, and Kate will be Princess of Wales. I think the kids will possibly keep Cambridge until they marry or are otherwise titled. For example when William accends the thrown George will be Prince of Wales. Charlotte will become the Princess Royal at some point. I could be wrong on them keeping Cambridge though 

Well, based on past precedent, George, Charlotte, and Louis will all automatically become "of Wales" when/if William is invested as Prince of Wales. This is what usually happens in the British monarchy. For instance, until their marriages, at which time they were granted substantive titles of their own, as the sons of The Prince of Wales William and Harry were Prince William of Wales and Prince Harry of Wales respectively.

It's default for the children of title holders to have that territorial designation unless they have higher titles themselves (such as happens upon marriage). So William will become The Prince of Wales, Kate will become The Princess of Wales, and the kids will become Prince George of Wales, Princess Charlotte of Wales, and Prince Louis of Wales. 

It's equivalent to the current status with William being officially The Duke of Cambridge, Kate being The Duchess of Cambridge, and the kids Prince George of Cambridge, etc. It's simply a step up in the ranks for all of them.  

If William becomes heir and is NOT immediately invested as Prince of Wales, then technically he'll become The Duke of Cornwall, and therefore Kate would be The Duchess of Cornwall and the children Prince George of Cornwall, etc. (The Dukedom of Cornwall is held by the eldest son of the monarch and is automatically passed down upon the previous holder ascending to the throne so long as the monarch has a living son. It is superseded by the title of The Prince of Wales, but the PoW title is specifically granted by the sovereign to his/her heir, not automatically inherited by the monarch's eldest son and heir apparent.)

Whatever changes happen, however, they may continue use Cambridge as the family surname, much as William reportedly continued to use Wales as his surname in the Air Force after marriage. Therefore, George might continue being enrolled in school as George Cambridge, but legally he'd be Prince George of Wales (or of Cornwall). It's simply an inherited title process. If your rank changes your official title changes with it, but what you do in everyday life may be different.

39 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

Well, based on past precedent, George, Charlotte, and Louis will all automatically become "of Wales" when/if William is invested as Prince of Wales. This is what usually happens in the British monarchy. For instance, until their marriages, at which time they were granted substantive titles of their own, as the sons of The Prince of Wales William and Harry were Prince William of Wales and Prince Harry of Wales respectively.

It's default for the children of title holders to have that territorial designation unless they have higher titles themselves (such as happens upon marriage). So William will become The Prince of Wales, Kate will become The Princess of Wales, and the kids will become Prince George of Wales, Princess Charlotte of Wales, and Prince Louis of Wales. 

It's equivalent to the current status with William being officially The Duke of Cambridge, Kate being The Duchess of Cambridge, and the kids Prince George of Cambridge, etc. It's simply a step up in the ranks for all of them.  

If William becomes heir and is NOT immediately invested as Prince of Wales, then technically he'll become The Duke of Cornwall, and therefore Kate would be The Duchess of Cornwall and the children Prince George of Cornwall, etc. (The Dukedom of Cornwall is held by the eldest son of the monarch and is automatically passed down upon the previous holder ascending to the throne so long as the monarch has a living son. It is superseded by the title of The Prince of Wales, but the PoW title is specifically granted by the sovereign to his/her heir, not automatically inherited by the monarch's eldest son and heir apparent.)

Whatever changes happen, however, they may continue use Cambridge as the family surname, much as William reportedly continued to use Wales as his surname in the Air Force after marriage. Therefore, George might continue being enrolled in school as George Cambridge, but legally he'd be Prince George of Wales (or of Cornwall). It's simply an inherited title process. If your rank changes your official title changes with it, but what you do in everyday life may be different.

Yeah I know that William will automatically have the Cornwall title (but not Wales)  and be the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge until (if it happens) it’s decided he’ll become the Prince of Wales. 

I just wasn’t sure about the children’s titles changing since it hasn’t happened yet in my lifetime and I never thought to look it up 

• 5 weeks later...

So on tiara watch, can I just put in a plug for the Strathmore Rose Tiara, given to her great grandmother upon becoming the Duchess of York? It would be beautiful against her dark hair and a nice nod to QEQM.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 9:42 PM, omilona said:

So on tiara watch, can I just put in a plug for the Strathmore Rose Tiara, given to her great grandmother upon becoming the Duchess of York? It would be beautiful against her dark hair and a nice nod to QEQM.

That would be lovely!

I'm think she will wear her mother's wedding tiara though.

Sarah not having a tiara intrigued me, because I didn’t remember that.  But apparently she entered the ceremony with flowers on her veil, and had the York Diamond Tiara under it, which was seen after the ceremony.  Rather interesting, really.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/942985/sarah-ferguson-fergie-wedding-prince-andrew

2 hours ago, catlady said:

Sarah not having a tiara intrigued me, because I didn’t remember that.  But apparently she entered the ceremony with flowers on her veil, and had the York Diamond Tiara under it, which was seen after the ceremony.  Rather interesting, really.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/942985/sarah-ferguson-fergie-wedding-prince-andrew

She did have it on when she emerged from the ceremony.  I remember the flowers when she went into the church and then the tiara afterwards.  Somebody, probably one of the tv personnel, said it was to symbolize that she was a commoner when she went to the alter and a member of the royal family when she left.  I don't know if that was true or just the reporter's opinion.  I do remember that I liked her dress much better than Diana's dress.

I loved Diana’s dress at the time because I was eleven, but when Sarah got married, I liked her dress a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 6:09 PM, catlady said:

I loved Diana’s dress at the time because I was eleven, but when Sarah got married, I liked her dress a lot better.

We must be about the same age. I loved Diana's dress then. But now...oh my, was that a mess! I saw something recently that said there were no actual fittings of the dress until the day of the wedding as part of the effort to keep everything a secret. I don't know if that was accurate, but it would explain a lot if it is. 

Sarah's dress was much better. Not in love with the big shoulder puff look now, but it was the 80s, after all. And better then than when a friend of mine wore that same look 12 years later. 

I'll be interested to see Eugenie's dress. The York girls have been all over the place in terms of style, so it is hard to predict.

I guessed accurately that Kate would not have a huge skirt or elaborate train (compared to other royal weddings not to the rest of us commoners!) and lean towards a more vintage look--and the dress was reminiscent of Grace Kelly and that period. I also guessed that Meghan would go elaborate with the train--a bit off there, they put it all into the veil, but long it was. I also suspected a we'd see a more daring look like something off the shoulder on her--and it did indeed have that boat neckline. Have to say that I did expect it to fit, though. 

I'm sure Eugenie will have a British designer. But who??? Something tells me not Stella. Jenny Packham would be an awesome choice.

And speaking of...Meghan better pull out some pieces by British designers soon as the UK press is starting to notice the lack of them. 

Royal weddings always end up being prime time in my part of Australia. It's nice to be able to watch it live, bit simultaneously a bit annoying because it becomes an exceptional amount of hype.

Thankfully I'm only seeing one channel airing this wedding. Harry and (especially) William's were very big deals in the media here.

I’m seeing it on a couple of channels - not watching in earnest yet though. She has promised a British designer for her dress. Any guesses?

I really couldn't name a British designer if I tried.

I'm expecting three quarter sleeves, a train and lots of detail on the back though. I think the guesses she'll wear her mum's tiara are correct, unless she's got another inherited tiara we don't know about. 

I automatically think of Alice Temperley and Jenny Packham when I think of British designers, along with Ralph and Russo, and Alexander McQueen. But I don’t think it will be any of them. Temperley and Packham because they’re not fancy enough. McQueen and Ralph and Russo because they’re linked to Kate and Meghan (even though Meghan didn’t go witness R&R).

I guessed Hermione de Paula or Sassi Holford at first for Meghan, then Phillipa Lepley or Caroline Castigliano ... but I was completely and totally wrong. I got a lot of my guesses right for Kate though. It all evens out in the end. 

I think The Queen will wear pink or purple. I’m guessing blue or green for Kate (pastel something) and a jewel tone for Meghan. 

I have no idea for Beatrice. Maybe gold or pale yellow. 

Edit:

Ooh here they come!

Meghan is in navy, Kate is in hot pink. Pretty!

How sweet - Meghan and Kate are wearing their own wedding designers. Meghan in Givenchy and Kate in McQueen. Nice.

Beatrice is in vibrant blue! She looks absolutely gorgeous. Edit: it’s Ralph and Russo.

Not very MoHish though?

Lady Louise is in the same colour as Beatrice. The little boys have the same colour piping on their shirts. Nice. I’m loving the sashes on the little girls’ dresses. How beautiful.

Here comes HRH! Is that pale steel blue? Grey? It’s gorgeous!

oooh Eugenie is arriving! V-neck. Low back dress? Long sleeves! 

Cara Delevigne is wearing pants! Not sure if that’s on the dress code....And Derek Blasberg is there too. That man is everywhere 

Btw the Royal family Channel on YouTube has mini videos of guests arriving to the venue 

29368D61-580B-4E70-A924-125CE5A829D7.jpeg

The little kids are stumbling up the steps in the wind, but Charlotte keeps waving and smiling as ever. She is so cute.

Where are people watching this? I found it on Youtube but quality is real bad. Is it on tv at all instead?

Archived