Jellybean

1 hour ago, candygirl200413 said:

Slightly random but was there a reason Harry and William had to walk behind Diana's coffin? I just learned about re-watching that footage and that was just so horrible for them I felt.

I just watched some sort of something while my dog was sleeping on the remote and I couldn't turn off BBCA, and I remember Harry, I think it was, say they had an option, and they agreed to do it because it was tradition. I could be remembering incorrectly as I was working and it was mostly background noise. My heart was breaking for both of them when they were talking about how hard it was though. 

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Slightly random but was there a reason Harry and William had to walk behind Diana's coffin? I just learned about re-watching that footage and that was just so horrible for them I felt.

About 7 years ago, The Daily Mail (aka The Daily Fail) claimed that the palace was concerned that Charles would be attacked if he walked alone behind the coffin. :pb_confused: Last summer, William had a different perspective ; that it was more or less a family/group decision. I was (and am still) just glad that they weren't alone.

Spoiler

princess-diana-funeral-harry-and-william-walk-behind-t.thumb.jpg.5596f0452399d3b31794bbc9a23cef9a.jpg

You guys, I can't stop watching Charles and Diana's wedding. The commentary is so unintentionally hilarious with the hindsight of history. 

"Who can doubt the love and happiness that this couple so obviously feel and share?"

I almost did a spit take, friends!

2 hours ago, Destiny said:

"Who can doubt the love and happiness that this couple so obviously feel and share?"

I almost did a spit take, friends!

I was in the mood to do the same and am right now at the point where she messed up his names in the vows. 

"...and forsaking all others keep thee only unto her". What a joke. 

That said, I can't watch this ordeal without feeling very sorry for Charles. Gotta marry a naive young girl he doesn't love (whatever love means) and doesn't really care about and in the crowd of guests sits his truly beloved and they both know this won't end well. :( 

4 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

About 7 years ago, The Daily Mail (aka The Daily Fail) claimed that the palace was concerned that Charles would be attacked if he walked alone behind the coffin. :pb_confused: Last summer, William had a different perspective ; that it was more or less a family/group decision. I was (and am still) just glad that they weren't alone.

Hide contents

princess-diana-funeral-harry-and-william-walk-behind-t.thumb.jpg.5596f0452399d3b31794bbc9a23cef9a.jpg

Here’s a more recent article from 2017:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Entertainment/prince-william-calls-walking-moms-coffin-hardest-things/story%3fid=49268725

They didn’t state why, but i don’t doubt it had to do with tradition. They both said it was the hardest thing they’ve done. Harry in particular said he doesn’t think any child should have to do something like that and he believes it wouldn’t be done again today.

The article also goes over their struggles with grief over their mother’s death too. Harry spoke about how he pretty much shut down emotionally for almost 20 years and made some pretty poor decisions because he couldn’t figure out how to cope. William is the one who really convinced him to get help.

I need to watch Charles and Diana's wedding, I can't believe I've never done that before. I assume it's on youtube?

I appreciate Harry's candor when speaking about his mother's death. I know he was often written off as the 'racist rebel' of the royal family, and while I think he has made some poor choices that he can't blame on grief, the fact is at the end of the day, grief twists people to behave in ways they normally wouldn't, and so I do think there should be some grace extended his way. I would hope that if something like that was to happen now, no child would be forced to walk for miles behind their parent's coffin. No wonder it traumatized Harry, the average person has difficulty at a family funeral, let alone a 12 year old boy walking after his mother's coffin in front of MILLIONS. 

15 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I just had to google what a Launer was... 

I remember they did this photo shoot for the Queen’s 90th with all the young kids, ie Lady Louise and James (Edward’s children), Savannah and Isla Phillips (Peter Phillips’s kids, Peter Phillips being Anne’s son), George and Charlotte, plus Mia Tindall (Zara’s daughter). Little Mia was holding the Queen’s handbag! 

D145929E-649A-4780-879A-903EC1022026.thumb.jpeg.9283030541110ff8b654ffd87a639036.jpeg

I hope the Queen is a nice grandma/great grandma. 

What a cute and charming picture. 

Just saw this on George Takei’s Facebook and it cracked me up. It was a beautiful veil but I knew it reminded me of something...

5E587802-EDDF-48E4-A59C-100ED85A23D5.jpeg

45 minutes ago, viii said:

I need to watch Charles and Diana's wedding, I can't believe I've never done that before. I assume it's on youtube?

I appreciate Harry's candor when speaking about his mother's death. I know he was often written off as the 'racist rebel' of the royal family, and while I think he has made some poor choices that he can't blame on grief, the fact is at the end of the day, grief twists people to behave in ways they normally wouldn't, and so I do think there should be some grace extended his way. I would hope that if something like that was to happen now, no child would be forced to walk for miles behind their parent's coffin. No wonder it traumatized Harry, the average person has difficulty at a family funeral, let alone a 12 year old boy walking after his mother's coffin in front of MILLIONS. 

You are more charitable than I . He was a very rich  20 year old prince partying and drinking with other young socialites and he had shown a pronounced lack of judgment on more than this occasion.  But he isn't the first and won’t be the last Rich kid to be act the fool and  he matured out of it. I believe he sincerely felt terrible for making his family, Grandmother in particular. ashamed and embarrassed by his shenanigans. 

I would like to know what is wrong with Meghan’s sister Samantha. At first I thought she might be speaking some truth because it’s definitely not unheard of for celebrities to be stuck up. But the more I read of her the more I just think she’s a spiteful, hateful, and jealous person. 

You answered your own question :)

These messy people are not the discrete, respectable Middleton’s and the Palace does not need the  drama they will try to bring to Kensington.

Harry did a lot of stupid shit...that's true. HOWEVER...as far as I am concerned, he redeemed himself by actually going into Afghanistan. He didn't have to go, he didn't have to be on the front lines, he didn't have to retrain as an Apache pilot after he got pulled out of his former unit. 

Losing his mother the way he did, at such a young age probably did twist him up a bit. It seems to me that he's gotten his head screwed on straighter and is trying to continue his mother's legacy...a tall order for anyone. 

I fall somewhere between the two opinions already expressed about Harry. He grew up with unimaginable wealth and privilege, but undoubtedly the doubt of his mother must have had awful ramifications for him. I'm also a 'live and let live' sort of person when it comes to most young adult drunken shenanigans (provided everything stayed fairly safe and no one was hurt). All that said, I can't even imagine what he must have been thinking when he dressed up as a Nazi. I mean, aside from the extremely significant historical implications of dressing up as something that's a synonym for evil, there were various specific Nazi plots against the British royal family. And the whole Edward was a Nazi thing. My grandmother grew up in London during the Blitz, and if I had dressed up as a Nazi, I probably would have gotten disowned--which means the Queen is more forgiving than my grandmother, but still.  He had a serious, serious lack of judgment when he chose that for a costume. 

He has countless generations of Military service on both sides in his blood :) 

I would argue that it’s both  mothers legacy and the legacy of his father and Grandparents.  

As a mom, I really appreciate this one:

3 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

You are more charitable than I . He was a very rich  20 year old prince partying and drinking with other young socialites and he had shown a pronounced lack of judgment on more than this occasion.  But he isn't the first and won’t be the last Rich kid to be act the fool and  he matured out of it. I believe he sincerely felt terrible for making his family, Grandmother in particular. ashamed and embarrassed by his shenanigans. 

Here’s a NY Times article about the Nazi costume for anyone interested:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2005/01/13/world/europe/prince-harry-apologizes-for-nazi-costume.html

I agree with you. I obviously don’t know him personally, but I don’t get the sense that he’s an evil or horrible person. I think he was born into more wealth and privilege than is likely good for most people and that he had no clue how to cope following the massive loss of his mother. I think his military time may have done him a lot of good in sorting out his priorities as has his charity work, especially his work with Sentebale (which he co-founded with Prince Seeiso of Lesotho in 2006.)

The Nazi costume incident was over 13 years ago when he was 20. He was absolutely old enough to know better and he fully deserved the criticisms he got, but it followed other behaviors - smoking marijuana, drinking, partying, and fighting with paparazzi - that I think could indicate he was honestly struggling with something. Given his recent interview concerning his poor mental health following the loss of his mother, I don’t think it’s a stretch to think he was struggling to cope with her sudden death. A loss that sudden can really mess someone up and that’s not even considering the additional pressures Harry and William would have faced between the extremely public funeral, any feelings they may have had towards the media, and eventually seeing the things their parents said about each other in the press before and during their divorce. 

23 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

So kind of not related, but does anyone else wonder sometimes what it must be like to have the Queen as a relative? I bet she could be the ultimate one upper if she wanted to. Like, imagine if one of her kids or grandkids was complaining about getting a bad mark in school or getting dumped or something and the Queen is just sitting there like, “I remember when I was your age. I was busy driving ambulances during the War that Philip was busy fighting in. But please, continue complaining to me about that less than perfect mark you got on that last History exam.” :pb_lol:

On a serious note, and as a child of that UK generation - no the vast majority did and do not use it to one up.  They hardly ever talked about it.  Stiff upper lip and all that.  Not healthy, and a helluva lot of PTSD went unrecognised, but a hallmark of that generation.

My parents' generation often told stories about how they walked to school, in snow, uphill both ways, but they only ever talked about funny things that happened in the war.  That includes my uncle who was a POW, and my mother who nursed in London throughout the Blitz and lost her fiance at Dunkirk.  My mother did have some very sad things to say just before she died.  It was hard to listen to, but you do not interrupt spontaneous Life Reviewing.  It is part of the process and a "task" of dying.

16 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

I thought it was awful at the time.  I also have a soft spot for Earl Spencer (who is a real cheating disaster in many ways) for putting his hand on Harry's shoulder and giving him a supportive gesture.  And for his angry speech at the funeral.

3 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Agreed.  It was awful.  But I think he has matured out of it.

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

All that said, I can't even imagine what he must have been thinking when he dressed up as a Nazi. I mean, aside from the extremely significant historical implications of dressing up as something that's a synonym for evil, there were various specific Nazi plots against the British royal family. And the whole Edward was a Nazi thing. My grandmother grew up in London during the Blitz, and if I had dressed up as a Nazi, I probably would have gotten disowned--which means the Queen is more forgiving than my grandmother, but still.  He had a serious, serious lack of judgment when he chose that for a costume. 

Edward VIII definitely had Nazi sympathies.  Phillip's sisters married Nazis.  Various royal cousins were Nazis.  We have many documented racist comments by Phillip - who put his foot in his mouth regularly, and never was as nice as people want to believe.

It was 2005 and Harry was not a kid.  And as I think I said in the last thread - why were he and William even attending a party with the theme of "Natives and Colonials"?

I always want to give the benefit of the doubt.  If the Royals have moved on from there, I'll give them credit.  

Their embracing of Meghan seems to indicate that Harry, at least, has learned and is dragging the others along with him into the 21st century.  We will see.

@Palimpsest

I absolutely agree with you and I don’t seriously think she’d ever use that as an example if she really was a one-upper. It was just the first example that popped into my mind other than making something completely ridiculous up. Like, “I remember when the Arch Duke of Swisslandia offered me an engagement ring made of their finest chocolate and I had to gently let him down to maintain our alliance against the Kingdom of the Gummy Bears. But please, continue telling me how stressful it is to break things off with your commoner girlfriend who has no such alliances to offer.” 

(Writing that now makes me really wish she had said this because it would be ridiculously funny. Lol!)

Harry was always more Diana’s baby than William was. She said something to the effect of He needed her more and  He was and is a lot more like her. William is all “get on with it” “Do your duty”  Windsor IMO. By no means William did not greave but his training and temperament had him handling it differently.

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

Harry was always more Diana’s baby than William was. She said something to the effect of He needed her more and  He was and is a lot more like her. William is all “get on with it” “Do your duty”  Windsor IMO. By no means William did not greave but his training and temperament had him handling it differently.

I remember seeing something about Harry being her baby as well. Both of them clearly adored their mother, but I think knowing his future as a monarch caused William to develop a thicker shell when it comes to showing emotion in public. That, plus whatever mentoring William has received from his Grandmother and father. I think they’re very slowly loosening up a bit on that. It was nice watching that Head’s Up video William, Catherine, and Harry filmed where they talked about handling their grief.

More memes (because why the hell not?!)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

I would like to know what is wrong with Meghan’s sister Samantha. At first I thought she might be speaking some truth because it’s definitely not unheard of for celebrities to be stuck up. But the more I read of her the more I just think she’s a spiteful, hateful, and jealous person. 

I get the impression that Samantha never got over the fact that Daddy remarried and had another child, particularly since Meghan is a girl so Samantha felt her position as "Daddy's Little Girl" was threatened.

Well damn, I never knew Harry dressed up as a Nazi. All I knew was of all the times he wound up naked at peoples’ parties. 

Thank you to the other posters who mentioned the history of the royal family floating with Nazism. I honestly don’t understand why so many people think of them as beacons of superior morality. They are a living legacy of a colonial superpower. The very nature of that means that their ancestors did some bad shit to other peoples and to their own people (hell, even to their own family members if you read back far enough). And FYI, marrying a person of a different ethnic background does not necessarily mean you are ‘progressive’. Trust me.

That being said, Harry seems alright. And he looks like he really loves his wife. But I don’t have expectations or great admiration for any member of the monarchy, on principle. 

Also, is anybody else glad that it’s the white side of Meghan’s family acting a damn fool? 

I am living for all the #royalwedding memes. They're hilarious! 

And yes, I'm glad it's the white side of her family, because if it was her mother's side, the racism would be even worse. 

10 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Well damn, I never knew Harry dressed up as a Nazi. All I knew was of all the times he wound up naked at peoples’ parties. 

Thank you to the other posters who mentioned the history of the royal family floating with Nazism. I honestly don’t understand why so many people think of them as beacons of superior morality. They are a living legacy of a colonial superpower. The very nature of that means that their ancestors did some bad shit to other peoples and to their own people (hell, even to their own family members if you read back far enough). And FYI, marrying a person of a different ethnic background does not necessarily mean you are ‘progressive’. Trust me.

That being said, Harry seems alright. And he looks like he really loves his wife. But I don’t have expectations or great admiration for any member of the monarchy, on principle. 

Also, is anybody else glad that it’s the white side of Meghan’s family acting a damn fool? 

I’m thanking whatever God(s) there may or may not be that it’s the white side causing issues. The racist comments thrown at Meghan were bad enough as it was. I can only imagine how much worse the racist commentary would have been otherwise.

I know Meghan and her mother have dealt with that sort of sick crap their entire lives and they don’t always have the option of not taking it well, but I’m still incredibly impressed with how well they handled everything from her dad’s side, the media, and racist trolls. There was a lot of ugliness thrown their way and they both handled it so gracefully. 

Archived