IGNORED

How do fundies afford it?

JermajestyDuggar

I don't know if this really fits here, someone can move it if need be. 

There is a family that must have been fairly high up in YLO who recently lost their patriarch. He was in his 30s and died from some sort of liver failure. There are 7 small children. Dad turned yellow, so of course instead of immediately seeking medical assistance they treated with oils and supplements and "nutrition" for 3 wks before seeing a Dr. After going to the hospital he died in about a week. He didn't that week at 2 different hospitals in the ICU. He did not have health insurance or life insurance. 

There is of course a go fund me https://www.gofundme.com/help-the-adamo-family and someone took up a donation to get the family meals from one of those delivery places (where you get the ingredients and cook it yourself). The wife just made an extremely long live video where she talks about the bill she recieved from one of the hospitals, around $200K. Asking for prayers and wisdom of course. 

In her case she's lucky that she and her husband are popular and we'll known in her community so they will likely be supported. 

Btw, about a week after his death she posted that her husband was an alcoholic and drank a bottle or two of wine each day, and he continued to drink right up until he went to the hospital (though he did cut back). 

Some other crazy, even while he was in the hospital, on dialysis, sedated/coma, on vent and feeding tube (for a specific medication), she had a naturopath and Chiropractor seeing him and she was going to start nutritional supplements in the feeding tube. No doubt also using oils on him. She was doing live updates and people were recommending all kinds of quackery, use this oil this herb, don't allow him to have this drug, etc. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

There is a family that must have been fairly high up in YLO who recently lost their patriarch. He was in his 30s and died from some sort of liver failure. There are 7 small children. Dad turned yellow, so of course instead of immediately seeking medical assistance they treated with oils and supplements and "nutrition" for 3 wks before seeing a Dr. After going to the hospital he died in about a week. He didn't that week at 2 different hospitals in the ICU. He did not have health insurance or life insurance. 

There is of course a go fund me https://www.gofundme.com/help-the-adamo-family and someone took up a donation to get the family meals from one of those delivery places (where you get the ingredients and cook it yourself). The wife just made an extremely long live video where she talks about the bill she recieved from one of the hospitals, around $200K. Asking for prayers and wisdom of course. 

In her case she's lucky that she and her husband are popular and we'll known in her community so they will likely be supported. 

Btw, about a week after his death she posted that her husband was an alcoholic and drank a bottle or two of wine each day, and he continued to drink right up until he went to the hospital (though he did cut back). 

Some other crazy, even while he was in the hospital, on dialysis, sedated/coma, on vent and feeding tube (for a specific medication), she had a naturopath and Chiropractor seeing him and she was going to start nutritional supplements in the feeding tube. No doubt also using oils on him. She was doing live updates and people were recommending all kinds of quackery, use this oil this herb, don't allow him to have this drug, etc. 

Wow that’s crazy. So instead of getting him into rehab, she uses oils. I can’t shake my head hard enough. No amount of oil will cure liver failure. 

33 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

That is just unbelievable.  I'm not calling you a liar!  I just mean that it's so hard to imagine that people fall for all that quackery.  Yet I see it often.  I have a couple of relatives that are nurses, one in particular loves to get started on this subject.  She can gripe for hours on end about the stupidity of people who fall for all the quackery claims and miracle cures.

In the medical community I'm part of due to our experience and hubby's surgery, I see all kinds of fuckery..."cleanses", EOs, all sorts of weird supplements. I get the fear of the surgery, it's a HUGE deal with risk, but...those who have been through the wringer can't make the others understand that this particular disease will NOT respond to all the fuckery. The course of the disease is fairly predictable, ending with either sepsis, diabetes, or cancer. It DOES kill people. 

I have to walk away from the community at times because I can't just let my temper get the best of me...but the desire to blast these people is incredible. 

3 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

Considering that essential oils can be hepatotoxic, especially if ingested, I don't think she was doing him any favors. This is a horrible story. I like essential oils and I use them often, but only externally or in diffusion. And I never use YL or Doterra--they don't deserve my business. 

Speaking of affording things, if anyone wants jogging skirts because of modesty (or just to keep your thighs from rubbing together?) Invest in a few culotte slips instead. They come in many colors and lengths and can be worn under any normal skirt. Much cheaper.

23 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

I can't get my head round the whole alcoholic-but-really-into-woo thing.  Like, I can see how someone wouldn't go to a doctor because they were ashamed of/guilty/in denial about their alcohol use, but it seems such a contradiction to be into oils, supplements and herbs, while drinking that much booze, which is a poison....  Of course, I know people are full of contradictions, in general, but wow, when there's a clear cause of an issue, it seems even more weird to be aiming at alternative medicine, and not anything that would treat the underlying addiction.

On 5/27/2018 at 7:10 PM, Anonymousguest said:

Well now.  So he messed up his own liver.  And had no health or life insurance.  Although he wrote books.

There is also this update, before Jacob joined the Choir Invisible. 

ALL PRAYER WARRIORS NEEDED!!! THEY HAVE FOUND A LIVER AND KIDNEYS FOR JACOB ADAMO!
I’ll give you a bit of backstory first—then tell you the prayer needs.
Jacob’s liver and kidneys have had 0 function for days, and there is no chance of survival without either a God miracle, or a new liver and kidneys. At 5:45 this morning, the Adamos got a call from a Young Living member in Iowa. A family member had a bleed that caused death to the brain. Their liver and kidneys are healthy. They have specifically requested that the organs to go to Jacob!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Praise the Lord! And—the blood type is a match for both organs.

I know nothing much about organ transplants and donations - but I was under the delusion that they went to the best match and those most in need.  Those on a waiting list.  Apparently I have to update my organ donor card to make sure that anything harvestable (at my age probably not much) goes to a born-again atheist and member of FJ.  I mean - I get to specify?  Who knew?  

However, the hospital where Jacob is has rejected doing the surgery.

Perchance because it would have been unethical?

They are willing to move him to another hospital, if Sarah does the legwork for the move.
HERE ARE THE URGENT PRAYER NEEDS: 
1) We need to find a hospital willing to do the surgery 
2) We need to move Jacob to that hospital safely
3) We need the antibodies for the liver to be a match (in addition to the blood) so his body does not reject the organ
4) His heart and lungs need to be strong enough to do the surgery 
5) We need cooperation from the current hospital staff and future hospital staff—that the Lord would make them willing to listen and willing to help save Jacob’s life

I sniff a lawsuit in the making here.  Hospital staff are denying him a good Christian transplant.

PRAISE THE LORD FOR HIS PROVISION! Guys—we need you on your knees right now. Decisions are being made at this second! Share this post! Gather your prayer warriors! This is a time sensitive situation! I will post more details as we get them.
OUR GOD IS FAITHFUL! “Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or according to the power that works in us. Ephesians 3:20.” PRAY! When we knock, HE ANSWERS!

Well, apparently "HE" answered because Jacob is now face to face with the Lord.  And I expect those donated organs were wasted.

Giving the benefit of the doubt - this is ignorance about medical procedures.  However, the selfishness is apparent.

And we learn from all of this that YL oils do not help in cases of liver and kidney failure, nor do they help in the cases of "brain bleeds," and they didn't help YL founder D. Gary Young when he died due to complications from a series of strokes.  

Could be that the FDA was right about warning D. Gary and his MLM suckers about those wild claims of cures and illegal marketing practices. 

To get an organ transplant you have to go through a process-you don't just show up and get one even if someone says I want this person get my organs plus if he has a history of using alcohol or drugs has to be clean for at  least 18 months and be in a program they just don't get an organ transplant because they are good christians.

Last week I had patient, who I have treated before I was not looking forward to seeing them again, she had applied black tar to her child's warts they got infected then she used EO the kid had sepsis fever of 104 and enlarged lymph nodes, I had to talk her into giving the kid antibiotic because she was sure that EO would do the trick. I asked her why she was here and wasting my time if EO can cure everything. The kid could die if not treated, I guess that is OK she has another 5 at home and another coming. I have treated all type of fundie but the christian ones are the worst.

3 hours ago, countressrascal said:

To get an organ transplant you have to go through a process-you don't just show up and get one even if someone says I want this person get my organs plus if he has a history of using alcohol or drugs has to be clean for at  least 18 months and be in a program they just don't get an organ transplant because they are good christians.

There have always been rumors of celebrities or the wealthy jumping the queues for organ transplants, but the fact is that once you're eligible to be on a list, it's a matter of time, physical availability (for both donor & recipient), and biological compatibility. Personal preference has nothing to do with it. 

Here are some current stats:

Waiting lists.png

I am stuck on "PRAISE THE LORD" and "OUR GOD IS FAITHFUL" exclamation exclamation exclamation without any apparent acknowledgement that their "provision" is another human being's death.  Not even a "very sadly a family member had a bleed..."

On 5/25/2018 at 1:01 PM, EmiGirl said:

One thing I found out was that the students at our local university were being penalized for using food pantries. Somehow it counted toward income and therefore affected (effected? I always screw those two up.) their financial aid. So an astounding number of the students were food insecure. So the university set up it's own pantry that somehow wouldn't. My church heavily supports it. 

I think someone may have gotten confused with this story. I don't see how they could get penalized for using a food pantry. Either the food pantry or the end user would have to report it as taxable income to the IRS or to the university, which I have never heard of -  I don't think a mechanism even exists for such reports. Someone with more knowledge please correct me if I'm wrong. 

What we refer to locally as our food pantry also provides other services, including giving money for emergencies like a high heating bill, losing a job, and so on. But again, I don't see how this would affect financial aid. Both individuals and organizations can give fairly substantial financial gifts without it being regarded as income. 

I'm not at all an expert, and I'm not trying to argue with what you were told - I just don't want anyone to be scared off from using a food pantry if they need to do so. 

So the 30-something Adamo dad regularly drank a bottle or 2 of wine a day, had liver and kidney failure, and died.

Not to be insensitive, but what did they expect??!!  The man was an serious alcoholic who gave himself cirrhosis for gosh sake.,  He had to have been drinking heavily for years, probably much more than a bottle or 2 per day to cause liver failure at a young age..

I feel sorry for the children, but the stupidity of the parents -- it burns.

21 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

There have always been rumors of celebrities or the wealthy jumping the queues for organ transplants, but the fact is that once you're eligible to be on a list, it's a matter of time, physical availability (for both donor & recipient), 

The thing is because of their wealth and access to private planes and other immediate transport they are more physically available. I heard a story recently of a really rich guy who needed a transplant and was on the list for the entire country because he could literally be anywhere in the needed amount of time. I wish i could remember the details on that...

There were rumors that Yankees great Mickey Mantle jumped the line for his liver transplant, and someone was quoted as saying that if it were up to him, "innocent children" would get organs first, and those who had "destroyed their own bodies" would have to wait.

Just now, smittykins said:

There were rumors that Yankees great Mickey Mantle jumped the line for his liver transplant, and someone was quoted as saying that if it were up to him, "innocent children" would get organs first, and those who had "destroyed their own bodies" would have to wait.

Yes their have been that rumor for years. I’m from the NY area and my father is a Yankee fan. I was in my teens when this happened & I remember saying to my father wasn’t he a drunk how come he got an organ. 

On 5/29/2018 at 3:52 AM, countressrascal said:

Yeah, I can't see a hospital accepting anyone onto the transplant list if they're drinking right up until their admission into hospital for liver failure.  I mean, I guess if they're throwing money around and can buy their way on, maybe, but that's not the case with this family.

I hope someone else got the organs from the friend - it would suck, hugely, if the family were only willing to give the organs to this particular man (What Would Jesus Do, etc etc)

Re celebs getting preferential treatment, George Best is one in the UK that springs to mind

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Best

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

Yeah, I can't see a hospital accepting anyone onto the transplant list if they're drinking right up until their admission into hospital for liver failure.  I mean, I guess if they're throwing money around and can buy their way on, maybe, but that's not the case with this family.

I hope someone else got the organs from the friend - it would suck, hugely, if the family were only willing to give the organs to this particular man (What Would Jesus Do, etc etc)

Re celebs getting preferential treatment, George Best is one in the UK that springs to mind

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Best

In the US to get a transplant person has to be clean and sober for certain period of time and relapse during the waiting period removes patient from the transplant list. That’s what Patient Care Specialist told me at work. The fundy dad in question would’ve been a candidate to begin with.

Larry Hagman (J.R. Ewing on TV) got a transplant suspiciously fast if I remember correctly.

8 minutes ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Larry Hagman (J.R. Ewing on TV) got a transplant suspiciously fast if I remember correctly.

Yes he did. He was a known drunk.  However, I think he got his so fast because he had an unusual blood type & that is what the donor had. But I could be wrong & I got him confused with someone else. 

29 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

And Dick Cheney- he got a heart pretty quickly.

I had forgotten about that.  I had to go look it up.  What I read said that he probably did get preferential treatment but it was because he had money and excellent insurance.  I guess that could well be true, but I noticed his age.  I'm thinking that transplants of that nature are not always done first on older people?  But I really don't know why I think that, I may have heard it somewhere.

3 hours ago, Mrs. Bean said:

In the US to get a transplant person has to be clean and sober for certain period of time and relapse during the waiting period removes patient from the transplant list. That’s what Patient Care Specialist told me at work. The fundy dad in question would’ve been a candidate to begin with.

I have an uncle who had serious liver damage due to hepatitis he contracted from some prison tattoos thirty years before. He was also an alcoholic and he and his wife could not keep alcohol out of the house despite being told he would not be a candidate for a much needed transplant until he could test as clean. He kept failing his tests and kept being moved back to the bottom of the list until he died. 

So yeah, unless the rules have changed dramatically in the past nine years, I can tell you from firsthand experience, Fundy Dad was not a candidate. 

In Ontario, there was some controversy because the owner of the Ottawa Senators  (an NHL team), had a public campaign to find a living liver donor for himself. Due to his position (hockey and Canada), he had many strangers offer to be live donors to him  including a match. He found a stranger willing to be a live donor and had the transplant a lot faster than had he had to wait on the waiting list for a compatible donor. About 20 of the people who offered to be his donor said they were going to go through the process to give to strangers. 

From what I understand, if you have a compatible living donor for kidney or liver, you can have transplant faster than if you are on the waiting list waiting for a compatible donor who has died.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you would still need to be sober for a certain length of time.

The Mickey Mantle case was the one I had in mind when referring to celebrities having an advantage in the process. There was a LOT of controversy over that one.

Archived