IGNORED

John Shrader 16: Flying Away in That No-Engine Plane

Jellybean

Hi Guys, 

First-time commenter here.

I spent several years at Tri-County and John caused me all sorts of adolescent issues that only a fundie preacher's son can.

I just want to say thank you for maintaining this thread.

It does good for my heathen soul <3

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome! If you feel comfortable saying, is John as annoying in real life as he is online?

9 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Welcome! If you feel comfortable saying, is John as annoying in real life as he is online?

Thanks for the welcome! I've lurked for about a year now. 
I feel more than comfortable saying adolescent John is more annoying in real life... You actually have to interact with him so that trumps all. His poetry, people skills, self-awareness, and all those other annoying traits were there nearly thirty years ago. He was also a predator back then too... Just in case anyone was curious. 

He took my brother "under his wing" when we started at Tri-County. My brother aspired to be like him the whole time we attended there. My brother was pretty messed up from it as seems the case with anyone John tries to take under his wing.

He formed a collaborative with my brother against my first "boyfriend" from another non-IFB church at the bi-weekly sports day for homeschoolers. They were the only members. It was called C.A.P. for Citizens Against (Last Name of my boyfriend). It was as ridiculous as it sounds and consisted of them yelling bible verses at us while we played no-contact street hockey. 

Fun fact, John loved to play a pretend therapist program on the computer. In fact, all the Schrader kids did. It was sort of like a limited AI. John was known for trying to witness to it, complete with Bible verses. Pastor Schrader was pleased. 

There's so much more I could tell yall so feel free to ask away and I'll pull from my memory what I can. 

1 minute ago, anjulibai said:

How did he interact with his siblings?

I mostly observed interactions between him and Sarah.

He constantly preached to Sarah about her boy crazy behavior and gossiping. They were a little Rick and little Jody. John with his preachiness and Sarah with the same saccharine her mother needed to get through the day. Sarah would get upset because John would always bust in on us when we were hanging out in her room. Sarah said John always commandeered the attention of her friends and she hoped I wouldn't be one of those friends. Sarah couldn't stand John as he interfered anytime she expressed interest in a courter. 

Jared was his protege, following him everywhere he would go, trying to live up to the golden child that was little John Schrader. Seth and Joel were super young when I was there so I don't remember much about his interactions with them but even back then I could see he felt he had the same authority over his siblings that Rick held over the household. He didn't regard them lovingly, more like he was the boss. Not much different than other siblings except John being John always took the big brother role too far.

35 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

How did he interact with his siblings?

Also, can you elaborate on what you mean by predator?

See my above comment for his interactions with siblings.

To elaborate, I was preyed upon by him when I was ten. He then lied about it when I told. After about 4-6 months of being ostracized from church and even somewhat by my own family, he made a big to do in front of everyone at church (I was not there), apologizing for lying about it and how he was tempted by my jeans and earnings. His family and the church surrounded him with forgiveness and continued to keep their children away from me when my parents forced my return. That's all the detail I can give. 

Edit: He was 14 or 15 at the time.

2 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I am so sorry. 

Thank you. That's the best thing anyone can say <3

11 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Ah... This would explain why Esther thought an erupting volcano interrupted her labour X number of babies ago. Her body is one huge magnet!!!!!:whistle:

Wasn't it the Fukushima nuclear reactor that caused it? Or was that another pregnancy?:bangheaddesk:

This was posted in thread 11 by  @Bethella :

It was radiation from Fukushima after the earthquake on 11 March 2011. On Facebook she said "I went into labor Tuesday, thankfully late that night it stopped. There were two major things we were dealing with. 1. Dehydration from the light radiation (from Japan) attaching to the electrolytes in my body keeping me from being able to get hydrated. Got that under control. 2.I got a really bad case of strep A..." Charis was born 25 Jun 2011

Every time I stumble across the radiation/electrolytes explanation, my eyeballs roll way back in my head. 

3 hours ago, TenYearOldJezzie said:

Thanks for the welcome! I've lurked for about a year now. 
I feel more than comfortable saying adolescent John is more annoying in real life... You actually have to interact with him so that trumps all. His poetry, people skills, self-awareness, and all those other annoying traits were there nearly thirty years ago. He was also a predator back then too... Just in case anyone was curious. 

He took my brother "under his wing" when we started at Tri-County. My brother aspired to be like him the whole time we attended there. My brother was pretty messed up from it as seems the case with anyone John tries to take under his wing.

He formed a collaborative with my brother against my first "boyfriend" from another non-IFB church at the bi-weekly sports day for homeschoolers. They were the only members. It was called C.A.P. for Citizens Against (Last Name of my boyfriend). It was as ridiculous as it sounds and consisted of them yelling bible verses at us while we played no-contact street hockey. 

Fun fact, John loved to play a pretend therapist program on the computer. In fact, all the Schrader kids did. It was sort of like a limited AI. John was known for trying to witness to it, complete with Bible verses. Pastor Schrader was pleased. 

There's so much more I could tell yall so feel free to ask away and I'll pull from my memory what I can. 

To whatever extent you feel comfortable, can you elaborate a bit?  Why would he and your brother have a vendetta against your boyfriend? How did they play pretend therapist?

And on a more personal note, which you needn't reply to at all, how did he prey upon you? Is it as bad as it sounds? You needn't elaborate if it's not best for you, but whatever you could share would be enlightening.

Any info to share about the Shrader household? What were things like for the youngsters? How did Rick shepherd his offspring to adulthood?

ETA: Thanks for any and all answers. Share only whatever is comfortable and safe,

21 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Glorious! He's outdone himself this time!

Like Shakespeare, only more entertaining ?

Thank you for that @formergotharite!

On 1/20/2019 at 10:46 AM, formergothardite said:

This time of year is most terrible, 
When the flies by the thousands assail
I've often half-joked to my family,
Like those pigs they seem inhabited by demons from hell

It's as if they come and attack you,
Try to land on your face or your food
And if you research you'll in horror discover,
That that occurrence is far from good

Oh we've tried many forms of deterrents,
Outside horribly smelling fly traps
And though they eliminate thousands,
The continued assault can make your mind snap

We should buy stock in old-fashioned glue traps,
The strips from the ceiling we suspend
But within days they're quickly covered,
It's as if there are flies without end

On second thought, I hope he treats the prisoners to some of his "pomes" :)

55 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

It was radiation from Fukushima after the earthquake on 11 March 2011. On Facebook she said "I went into labor Tuesday, thankfully late that night it stopped. There were two major things we were dealing with. 1. Dehydration from the light radiation (from Japan) attaching to the electrolytes in my body keeping me from being able to get hydrated. Got that under control. 2.I got a really bad case of strep A..." Charis was born 25 Jun 2011

good thing she homeschools :mindblowing:

14 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

So they no longer try to avoid mosquito bites because they think a product that does not truly exist in liquid form, and a theory completely debunked in the 1920s, protects them from malaria.  What with this and their high consumption of colloidal silver, it is surprising that they are all alive.

I'm hoping they are using bednets at least, which as well as being period appropriate for John's mindset will give them some protection from malaria. I still think John is subconsciously secretly hoping to Lose A Child in Africa - it would add to his self-perceived missionary cred, and he has neither the imagination to see how actually awful it would be nor the empathy to see his children (or anyone else actually) as human beings with needs and desires like himself. 

@TenYearOldJezzie thank you for sharing. I am so sorry John preyed upon you. Disgusting human that he is. 

In your view is he an embarrassment to his father or is his father as bad as him and Rick views John As the golden child (still)?

Also do you know anything about when Sarah moved away from fundamentalism? I followed her on Facebook before she died and she seemed like a fun party girl who loved her husband and baby girl before cancer took hold. 

13 hours ago, TenYearOldJezzie said:

What in the world? Daddy Shrader had a computer game where they pretended to be therapists? Do you remember what the name of the game is? 

John needs more prayer. He has back and pride issues. 

Jesus said, "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls." - Matthew 11:29

This is the passage God has been impressing on my heart in several way lately. First, through my physical trial. I've never taken this long to heal from a back issue flare up. In other ways as well. I, by nature, old nature that is, am not in the least meek. I have struggled (and often lost that struggle) with pr(I)de my entire life. God has been so patient, far too patient with me, but He has, time after time, brought or allowed circumstances, situations, individuals...to come into my life to expose my lack of meekness and repeated failures to be lowly of heart. Please pray for me in this respect, for I am unprofitable and unusable to my Lord when I pull against His yoke in my wicked pride, which is a very unwise thing for a servant of the Most High God to do. Having God resisting you is quite devastating, especially when you deeply desire Him to use you. (James 4:6; I Peter 5:5). Thank you for your faithful prayers friends.

Bro. John

but He has, time after time, brought or allowed circumstances, situations, individuals...to come into my life to expose my lack of meekness and repeated failures to be lowly of heart. 

Did someone tell you off again, Johnny?  And go and see a real doctor about that backache instead of whining.  

@TenYearOldJezzie, Thanks for sharing info.  Can you tell us more about Tri-County.  Is (or was) Rick the sole pastor?  Roughly how big was the congregation when your family was there?  Also, were you all supposed to be home-schooled in the church (meaning church families as well as the Shraders) and what curricula were used.  Also have your parents and and brother escaped Fundiedom too?  TIA

On 1/20/2019 at 7:27 PM, apandaaries said:

To whatever extent you feel comfortable, can you elaborate a bit?  Why would he and your brother have a vendetta against your boyfriend? How did they play pretend therapist?

And on a more personal note, which you needn't reply to at all, how did he prey upon you? Is it as bad as it sounds? You needn't elaborate if it's not best for you, but whatever you could share would be enlightening.

Any info to share about the Shrader household? What were things like for the youngsters? How did Rick shepherd his offspring to adulthood?

ETA: Thanks for any and all answers. Share only whatever is comfortable and safe,

John was jealous and used my brother as his flying monkey. Plus the boy was not an IFB member. The sports day was for homeschoolers of all kinds so to him I imagine it was like I was hanging out with the devil. The boy liked Christian rock too so that was a factor. My brother would report to him what I was doing at home. He also provided John information from my diary as well as information acquired from eavesdropping on phone calls. It was freaking weird but I understand what was happening more so now I am an adult.

The computer game was on a floppy disk and the therapist's name started with an ELIZA.  John would type the typically witnessing talking points, the AI would ask generic open-ended questions and he would input more IFB witnessing points. I think he thought it would be possible to lead ELIZA to Christ if only he inputted enough KJV into the program. 

The fun was when John wasn't around. We would ask her if she was in love, what she thought of bottoms (no butts), and all sorts of mischievous questions. John always sucked the fun right out of that if he came round.

To elaborate more than I have is something I can't do fully. My memory is quite fuzzy from then but if he were charged as an adult it would've been sexual assault. After kicking him off my bed, he tried to preach. My brother woke up and came looking for him. He left quickly and I can only imagine what he said to my brother as it created a divide that's never been repaired.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:26 AM, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

@TenYearOldJezzie thank you for sharing. I am so sorry John preyed upon you. Disgusting human that he is. 

In your view is he an embarrassment to his father or is his father as bad as him and Rick views John As the golden child (still)?

Also do you know anything about when Sarah moved away from fundamentalism? I followed her on Facebook before she died and she seemed like a fun party girl who loved her husband and baby girl before cancer took hold. 

Thank you all for allowing a space for me to share my story. Imagine finding a whole forum with multiple threads about what a waste the person who violated you so long is nowadays! It is cathartic coming here when flashbacks get bad. I don't know why it helps, other than it is a reality check that it was not me that caused the problem for his wife and kids. I hope someone gets them out of there and safe.                                                            On his father's regard for him, I believe the lack of self-awareness and inability to take full responsibility for his bad actions stems from Rick's narcissistic tendencies. John is Rick's protege and if he admitted John's flaws he would have to look at his own deficiencies as well. Let's not forget John is the only Schrader kid who didn't divert from the fundamentals beat into him with thick craft rods. I would imagine he is still golden just based on this fact alone. My mom is still friends with them all on Facebook and watches Tri-county's Facebook live services. She has said he is often mentioned.

Sarah was a fun party girl that bubbled with positivity.
Sarah is a story that breaks my heart.

I'm not quite sure when she moved from the fundamentalism movement but I imagine it was after she was of legal age. We reconnected after several years on Facebook and she actually messaged me for medical advice while pregnant because she was getting really sick beyond the norm. Soon after she was diagnosed. I think once that happened she fell into the flock again for her last days. She loved her younger brothers intensely.

I'm not sure when it happened but it was a long time coming. When I knew her best, she was enamored by the idea of marrying a rich, handsome man, traveling, all with a beautiful house to come home to and maybe a little fame as a fashion model. From all I can tell, she found her happiness before she passed with her husband and little girl. In my investigations, it seems her husband keeps limited contact with her family. Probably a good thing.

On 1/21/2019 at 5:29 AM, formergothardite said:

What in the world? Daddy Shrader had a computer game where they pretended to be therapists? Do you remember what the name of the game is? 

John needs more prayer. He has back and pride issues. 

ELIZA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

The game was an AI chat but that would ask open-ended questions in response to chat input by the user. You could say whatever and it would take keywords to frame the open-ended question. Surprisingly, computers were commonplace in our homeschool community and when the Schraders got one, everyone had to have one.

John's back issues are just a manifestation of his guilt for being a crap person.

More fun facts, several months ago I friended John out of morbid curiosity. Of course, he accepted my request and I know he crept my profile hard because he accidentally liked a photo from 2009. When I woke from my curiosity psychosis, I unfriended him. In less than an hour, he had me blocked. I laughed at this heartily. 

On 1/21/2019 at 7:35 AM, Palimpsest said:

Did someone tell you off again, Johnny?  And go and see a real doctor about that backache instead of whining.  

@TenYearOldJezzie, Thanks for sharing info.  Can you tell us more about Tri-County.  Is (or was) Rick the sole pastor?  Roughly how big was the congregation when your family was there?  Also, were you all supposed to be home-schooled in the church (meaning church families as well as the Shraders) and what curricula were used.  Also have your parents and and brother escaped Fundiedom too?  TIA

When I went there Rick was the sole pastor, though there were several brown-nosing deacons to do his bidding.

From what I can remember there were 15-20 families. Most families had 4+ kids at least.

Each individual family did their own homeschooling though there were several attempts to make the church into a homeschooling center that never panned out. It was unsaid to model your family after the esteemed Pastor Rick and Practically Perfect (but not quite cause that would be sinful) Sister Jody. Many of the pulpit speeches included the importance of homeschooling so as to keep children from the harm of the secular world

We escaped the church unwittingly when my grandmother who lived states away was diagnosed with cancer. This shook my mom into moving us to be with her during her last days. When we found a church in our new hometown, it was less fundie than Tri-County but still registered as an IFB church. My traumas continued there at the hands of another preacher's son. I never told.

My brother eventually became an atheist. He argued with my mom relentlessly until she finally gave up and sent him to public school for high school. He renounced all the beliefs and became quite progressive, albeit he lies when it comes to telling his autobiographical history. He lists he graduated from UCLA when he was kicked out the first semester. He stole off anyone with abandon, including me. He broke away from the family 10 years ago and I only know what goes on with him via the net.  Unfortunately, I recently uncovered the possibility he molested and abused my younger brothers. As I said, he was messed up from whatever time John and he spent together. My mom still watches Tri-County services and is friends with John, Rick, and Jody on Facebook. That hurts me. 

Tri-County was deemed a southern baptist independent fundamental Christian church. Upon our acceptance into the congregation, my mother started learning from the other ladies in the church about raising children up as Christain soldiers. We used primarily Abeka curriculums but also Bob Jones, Omega and Lifepacks. The 700 Club was apart of our current events studies. All us kids at Tri-County esteemed to be pro-life activists someday.

All but one family homeschooled. We went to Jesus Camps. Instead of Halloween, we had the harvest party in which the adults would gather around a bonfire in the field and burn all the secular items collected about the home in the last year. Books, magazines, clothing and all sorts of carnal items.

When we started at Tri-County one of my first Sunday School lessons included how if you rearrange the letter of Santa, it spells Satan! 

As girls, we had to take the courses from Gothard on being a Proverbs 31 women. When girls started talking about some of the bad things going, we were forced to learn the "tongue tamers" and stop discussing anything shedding a negative light on the church or its members. Nice idea but I think it forced more of us into isolation.

There was a family that lived in a trailer on the property. A wife, husband, and daughter. The daughter was my best friend there. She was the only one who didn't ostracize me cause she knew how John was; However, her mother did not and shooed her away from me as much as she could. When my friend's father died from pancreatic cancer, Rick and Jody connected the mother with an IFB in need of a widowed wife for a widowed husband and before we even understood what was happening, my friend's mother was married and they moved across the country to start the next chapter. It broke our hearts.

I recall going over to a deacons house in which I was left alone with his 5 or 6-year-old daughter who outwardly began displaying signs of sexual abuse in front of me but at the time I didn't understand so I just hid my face in the corner and told her to stop until she said she did. I told no one thinking it must be my fault. Looking back I realize many of the younger girls in the congregation were being abused based on behaviors I now know as being associated with sexual abuse. I suspect one deacon in particular. 

Many of the deacons doubled as handymen for the church. Often times, the church would gather the youth together for cheap labor and deem it a homeschool activity.

The culture was highly judgemental amongst the kids and even worse from the adults. Newcomers were simultaneously judged while love bombed and then devalued when their changes weren't extreme enough. My mom wanted to be in the top echelons of the church but they'd never quite accept her. I suspect it was because of my problems with John and my Dad still smoking. 

From what I remember hearing, John was a difficult baby. He couldn't nurse and the resorted to feeding him goats milk which provided miraculous healing. The golden child was born. The younger kids were given evaporated milk mixed with Karo syrup in lieu of formula or breast milk because Jody had troubles with breastfeeding overall. My parents did the same thing with my younger siblings. All these kids grew up with developmental and other health issues.

There was no healthcare beyond alternative methods. No hospital births. Colloidal Silver was the antibiotic of choice and you only went to the ER if something was broken... and maybe not even then. I feel the reason I am in a wheelchair before my 40th birthday lays between the lack of healthcare in my youth, depleted nutrition, unchecked genetic and autoimmune processes, and trauma. I find it interesting that John is the only kid out of the Schrader progeny that can maintain weight. All the others look as though it is a struggle indeed. Jared struggles with what he called Bipolar in a series of videos threatening to reveal the truth about Rick and Jody. He was also talking about doing crack. I think the whole IFB system broke him. With no belief in mental illness treatment, the last I heard was they were sending him to some sort of IFB rehab home. His profile on Facebook has the video on the timeline viewable to the public for those interested. Not sure if I am allowed to link. 

When we started at the church, Rick and Jody along with the esteemed members of the flock love-bombed the f*ck out of my family. My dad, the handyman and my mom who wanted godliness badly were prime targets. My dad helped build the second building on the property. He never made deacon status though because he smoked cigarettes. Mom just soaked up all the dogma and dumped it on us with fury. She sunk tons of money into homeschool curriculums and Gothard products. I'll never forget the days I was denied food when I was hungry because I hadn't cleaned the house top to bottom as she asked. I'll never forget the day she told us she'd no longer be spanking us with her hand because that was wrong and she instead would use dowel rod just like God instructed. 

Eventually, Rick offered property acquired by the church for us to live on. The property and house on it were nearing condemnable conditions. After we moved, if my dad wasn't working for his family he was working for the church. There was some dynamic there I didn't understand but I sensed power and control.

Sorry for the delay in answering. Decompressing and such. 

My hope is these telling further illuminate why John and fundamentalism are pathological. Sorry for the length and rambling. Thirty years have passed so when I pull up the memories it comes out a little confusing. I can clarify anything if needed and will answer more questions if asked.

I do appreciate the feeling of welcome and support here. You all are just great ❤️

3 minutes ago, Kailash said:

Just curious- has anyone verified that @TenYearOldJezzie is who she says she is? My bullshit meter is off the charts with this one. 

I'm not providing any details about my person. Sorry but I don't care about your bullshit meter. You are free to take or leave my story.

2 minutes ago, TenYearOldJezzie said:

I'm not providing any details about my person. Sorry but I don't care about your bullshit meter. You are free to take or leave my story.

Sometimes the mods can verify someone through private messages, and not to the whole board. I was not expecting you to doxx yourself in any way. 

Just now, Kailash said:

Sometimes the mods can verify someone through private messages, and not to the whole board. I was not expecting you to doxx yourself in any way. 

Okay, that would be one thing I might agree to but the thought of publically revealing my identity is not something I'm willing to do.

4 minutes ago, TenYearOldJezzie said:

Okay, that would be one thing I might agree to but the thought of publically revealing my identity is not something I'm willing to do.

That’s understandable. We have had a large number of trolls here (at FJ) lately, so I’m cautious. 

1 minute ago, Kailash said:

That’s understandable. We have had a large number of trolls here (at FJ) lately, so I’m cautious. 

I get it. I was afraid of not being believed but understand trolls. How do I know the mods will keep my info private from the public forum? It seems the mods here are dedicated to order so if one wants to message me I'd provide some sort of verification. 

1 hour ago, TenYearOldJezzie said:

I get it. I was afraid of not being believed but understand trolls. How do I know the mods will keep my info private from the public forum? It seems the mods here are dedicated to order so if one wants to message me I'd provide some sort of verification. 

I would p.m. one of the admins about the verification process. They have verified people in the past and doxing is against the rules here. I tagged some admins for you. @Destiny or @HerNameIsBuffy or @Coconut Flan

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived