IGNORED

Mr and Mrs Jill Duggar 58: The D’Wreckoning

samurai_sarah

Maybe he thinks LSAT prep will help him be better at arguing on Twitter. Maybe he saw Legally Blonde and thought if Elle Woods can do it surely a superior intellect such as ofJill can do it without breaking a sweat!

If he really is doing this, I hope he goes back to public to brag about going to law school. That would be so entertaining. 

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're pretty used to fundies going to unaccredited law schools and sitting for the Bar, but it's worth noting that only a handful of states will allow this.    

AR is not one of them.

So if Jill and Family want to stay in Arkansas, Derick will need to get in to an actually accredited school.  No Clown Law for him!  Only Alabama, California, Connecticut, Georgia, Massachusetts, West Virginia, and Tennessee allow individuals to sit the Bar without a degree from an ABA accredited school.  In addition, California, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming allow individuals to sit the bar if they have "read the law" in lieu of formal law school.  This is....not easy to accomplish in practice.  

After law school I'm kind of visualizing Mr. Jill avoiding a job by studying cartography for 8 years a la Buster Bluth.

14 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

We're pretty used to fundies going to unaccredited law schools and sitting for the Bar, but it's worth noting that only a handful of states will allow this.    

AR is not one of them.

So if Jill and Family want to stay in Arkansas, Derick will need to get in to an actually accredited school.  No Clown Law for him!  Only Alabama, California, Connecticut, Georgia, Massachusetts, West Virginia, and Tennessee allow individuals to sit the Bar without a degree from an ABA accredited school.  In addition, California, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming allow individuals to sit the bar if they have "read the law" in lieu of formal law school.  This is....not easy to accomplish in practice.  

That handful is too many...it’s surprising that states like CA and MA allow it. 

I wonder what percentage of clown law school graduates actually pass the bar...

10 minutes ago, Frumper said:

After law school I'm kind of visualizing Mr. Jill avoiding a job by studying cartography for 8 years a la Buster Bluth.

• Barely functional man-child?  Check.
  • Relies on Mother to bail him out of everything? Check.
  • Contentious relationship to a father figure who is not his actual father?  Check.
  • Completely unemployable?  Check.
  • Wants to get in a fight really bad but no one will fight him because they don't take him seriously? Check.

Derick Dillard is Buster Bluth confirmed.  

4 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

That handful is too many...it’s surprising that states like CA and MA allow it. 

I wonder what percentage of clown law school graduates actually pass the bar...

So I had a college acquaintance who went to an unaccredited online law school and sat the Bar in CA.  Took him a few tries to pass (which honestly is not terribly uncommon, but he did have to try more than anyone else I knew), but eventually he did.

He posted REALLY excitedly about his first court case.  Turned out he went into a room and sat there for an hour (?) before realizing that his hearing was NOT on this date, but actually in a year from then (??).  Quality representation.  

@Georgiana, that is both hilarious and horrible!  I hope that idiot never has any clients that need serious representation.  They might end up on death row for a parking ticket.

25 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Georgiana, that is both hilarious and horrible!  I hope that idiot never has any clients that need serious representation.  They might end up on death row for a parking ticket.

Ugh, I feel horrible.  Naturally, he generally represents indigent folks who cannot afford representation from a better attorney with an actual proven track record or a degree from a real school.  He is bilingual in Spanish, and so the combination of the two pushed him into immigration.  I understand how he got there, but the stakes (especially in the current political climate) are way too high in that field for someone like him.  People are literally risking everything on his representation.  

His father, however, is actually an incredibly competent and well-known immigration attorney.  I know that my acquaintance works at his father's firm, and I think dad has quietly shifted him into more clerk, research, and busy work.  Probably for the best.  I do think he is a smart person with a good heart, but I also think there is a very good REASON that he couldn't get into an accredited law school.  

Why would a firm even hire someone from an unaccredited college? That sounds like something I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. 

8 hours ago, PurpleCats said:

Even better!  Your worldview is always being tweaked by your friends, so having a more progressive friend could mold her in a positive way.  

I didn’t want to assume too much, but all of my Muslim friends are the non hijabi, pretty liberal kind of gals so my sample was definitely skewed! Lol

I agree with you you. Healthy and stable friendships with people of other beliefs and mindsets (heck, even with more liberal Christians) might ignite small changes. We can at least hope.

Regarding Muslim women with headscarves, my experience is very anecdotal of course. There are plenty of conservatives as well but one never knows... 

23 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Why would a firm even hire someone from an unaccredited college? That sounds like something I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. 

Daddy owns it or at least is a major partner.  And daddy is a pretty big deal.  

Also, there's probably a lot of guilt.  This guy had to drop out of college and probably was unable to get into an actual law school due to a mental breakdown he had that was very much tied to his parents' divorce and his father's shitty behavior.  Don't feel too bad: during this break down he did some BAD things and basically ensured no brick and mortar educational institution would matriculate him again.  But I think his dad feels somewhat responsible for his break down and therefore his once promising future ending up in the toilet.  

I have to fess up here, my dad also got me a job at his law firm. Reorganizing the basement file room for two weeks one summer when I was a teenager. It was awful. I'm going to tell him he totally failed the lawyer nepotism game. 

16 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I have to fess up here, my dad also got me a job at his law firm. Reorganizing the basement file room for two weeks one summer when I was a teenager. It was awful. I'm going to tell him he totally failed the lawyer nepotism game. 

I'm pretty sure you could get into Sketchy AsFuck State Law School (an online only institution)  right now! Yeah, OK, it may be harder in Canada, but slap on some poorly Google-translated Quebecois and call it good!  Demand full partnership!  Right now!

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

An interesting post on the subject of Derick's possible law school ambitions from our friends over at Keeping Up With Fundies.

(Not saying this is proof of anything. But it is interesting.)

Edit: I respect that they're censoring his identity, but he's extremely easy to find, and he's not trying to hide who he is at all. He's the younger brother of the guy who's currently dating Mandie Query.

I went to this guy's Twitter. He spends most of his time being rude, argumentative, and bigoted (and blaming it on his ASD), with a side of defending Derick's outbursts. If Mandie's boyfriend is anything like his brother, I think any hope we had for Mandie having a better life is gone.

41 minutes ago, albireo said:

I went to this guy's Twitter. He spends most of his time being rude, argumentative, and bigoted (and blaming it on his ASD), with a side of defending Derick's outbursts. If Mandie's boyfriend is anything like his brother, I think any hope we had for Mandie having a better life is gone.

This guy is who gives the rest of us a bad name. I am on the spectrum also and I DO NOT blame most of my idiot behavior on it. Being rude, argumentative and bigoted is a serious personality flaw, not something to be blamed on an ASD. Yes, it can be difficult to "act normal" and it can be quite exhausting, but there's no excuse for being an asshole. 

Rant over...

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Also, I feel like we should have a 'THIS IS SPECULATION' tag. Like a sparkly highlighter, or a special font or something. :pb_lol:

Which, while hilarious, would be technically impossible. 

... I want a sarcasm font.

That said, now that I think about it, I think most people who have met me just assume sarcasm. :angelic-pink:

6 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

This guy is who gives the rest of us a bad name. I am on the spectrum also and I DO NOT blame most of my idiot behavior on it. Being rude, argumentative and bigoted is a serious personality flaw, not something to be blamed on an ASD. Yes, it can be difficult to "act normal" and it can be quite exhausting, but there's no excuse for being an asshole.

Yup, you nailed what I was trying to say there. I'm not on the spectrum from what I know, but people I know and love are. Not only is he enforcing a really inaccurate negative stereotype, he's using his diagnosis to deflect criticism and invite pity rather than exercise any sort of self-awareness. *grumble*

11 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Which, while hilarious, would be technically impossible. 

... I want a sarcasm font.

That said, now that I think about it, I think most people who have met me just assume sarcasm. :angelic-pink:

What about an emoji or sticker type thing? It would be kinda large I guess though.

Or make one and upload it to a website and you can code it into a post like someone does videos?

Just now, FJismyheadship said:

What about an emoji or sticker type thing? It would be kinda large I guess though.

Or make one and upload it to a website and you can code it into a post like someone does videos?

I mean, there's a zillion emoji already. How are we going to agree on which one means speculation? I think we basically need to depend on people to make it clear in their posts when they are speculating, and more importantly, we as readers need to use logic and reading comprehension to decide if a post is fact or speculation. FJ is full of smart people. I think the vast majority of us are smart enough to know the difference. Radar Online? They don't count. 

... I still need a sarcasm font. 

3 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I mean, there's a zillion emoji already. How are we going to agree on which one means speculation? I think we basically need to depend on people to make it clear in their posts when they are speculating, and more importantly, we as readers need to use logic and reading comprehension to decide if a post is fact or speculation. FJ is full of smart people. I think the vast majority of us are smart enough to know the difference. Radar Online? They don't count. 

... I still need a sarcasm font. 

Fair enough.

I just liked the idea of a large sparkly something lol

I agree on needing a sarcasm font.

Just now, FJismyheadship said:

Fair enough.

I just liked the idea of a large sparkly something lol

I agree on needing a sarcasm font.

I'm pretty sure we have some large sparkly emoji, don't we? outside of the standard ones, I'm not a huge user of emoji, though the new feature that makes it easier to add some may change my mind on that. 

We can signify speculation with tasteful tags like such:

:tw_star: THIS IS SPECULATION :tw_star:

Maybe the reason why Derick posts homophobic things on twitter is because he's a homophobe.

:tw_star:THAT WAS SPECULATION:tw_star:

5 hours ago, Georgiana said:

AR is not one of them.

I think Connecticut only allows students of two non-ABA approved schools to sit for the bar here:

https://www.lawyeredu.org/connecticut.html

Has Jeremy's tweet from 2 days ago about twitter arguments been discussed? If not, go look it up. It's a gem.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived