IGNORED

Mr and Mrs Jill Duggar 58: The D’Wreckoning

samurai_sarah

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

You have to deal with difficult people all the time. You have to deal with people criticizing you and challenging you all the time.

This is an excellent point, and in my experience extremely accurate.  I rescind my prior statement that he could do OK as a lawyer, because there's no way he could handle this part.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

Derick has never really posted any pictures of him with friends. Does he have any?

I think I've seen pictures of friends from college. And at one point he was in a college friend's wedding (when Izzy was little IIRC)

I liked Jill's video.  Good for her expanding her mind and palate.   The BEC in me had to laugh at Miss Modesty being out modested (?) by the Muslim woman.  My bad.

I think Derick has this "Law and Order" view of practicing law where he thinks being a trial lawyer is making ""super-tricky"" arguments based on technical word definitions and loopholes like he's been doing on Twitter lately.  Nothing could be further from the truth, and if he tried anything close to what he's been doing on Twitter in front of a judge, he would likely get a lecture.  

I would watch the hell out of that though. 

Ditto to what most of you have said already, my first thought was how would this be founded? But I guess he could technically take out loans since he is the headship. On one hand I get not knowing what to do with your life but he also has a family, a relatively young family and a wife who has a minimal education so why is he playing around like this?

19 hours ago, socalrules said:

There are many instances where memorization is necessary. I am a lawyer and no way is anyone passing the bar without memorizing as much as possible. You can’t pass by being in the ballpark with an answer. The exam is not subjective. You need to have every element listed in your answer or you are going to get a very low score. You need to know every element to pass the multiple choice portion of the exam as well. You have about six weeks of bar prep to learn how to take the test in the manner the state bar expects. If you aren’t going to memorize, you might as well not take the exam because you are going to fail. Having general knowledge of the subject matter just means you get the honor of having to take the exam again. 

As a Catholic, I love that I have the mass memorized as it’s very comforting. At Catholic school, we were never made to memorize scripture but we did memorize poems and passages from literature we would then analyze. I can still recite Langston Hughes’ Mother to Son poem and I still love it to this day. Some things I memorized because they were so profound they just stuck with me. 

I've been a former Catholic for years now, but in times of stress or fear, I still revert to saying the Hail Mary over and over again, and it does help calm me.  Except when I do so, I'm thinking of my paternal grandmother (a very devout Catholic who said the rosary every single day) and my own mother (the most unselfish and kindest person I have ever met, truly meeting all the criteria of being a Christian with none of the holier-than-thou and hypocrisy of the fundies we follow).  So basically, I'm praying to them to help me through whatever is going on.  

Exclusive footage of Derick starting his law career!

OfJill: Dude, you're gonna be a shite lawyer. You don't have the work ethics for that. And how do you plan on paying for law school? Grifting?

Ofjill’s thread tricked me- it said it was hot and I was ready for “Jill divorcing jerk husband.”

very disappointed.

Still speculation about him wanting to become a lawyer, but why not?  Maybe hire Joshley as an assistant?

I actually think Josh had he not been raised fundie might maybe have been able to pull off being a lawyer, at least a paralegal. I do think he is spectaulalry unsuited to work with his hands, do hard physical work. However, out of all the Duggar boys I could see him having pulled off a bachelor's degree. The other Duggar boy I could seen going for maybe a film/theater degree would be Josiah. However, we don't live in a parallel universe. Jim Bob and Michelle have done a great job of hobbling their children in this universe. 

For once, I don’t find anything I want to snark on when it comes to one of Jill’s videos. She looked and sounded genuinely interested and it feels like this is the first time in months where her smile actually reaches her eyes. A glimpse of the Jill pre-marriage, I think. And even if she does have ulterior motives (tyring to convert people) I’d say any exposure to other cultures/religions and actually meeting and talking to people of said culture/religion is what she and her boys need.

I can’t imagine OfJill getting into an accredited law school. For one, it’s highly competitive. Even the “lower-tier” schools. They won’t be impressed by his years of gallivanting around doing nothing of substance. Working at McDonalds or somewhere similar (not bashing those who do) for all those years would be better, since it would show he has a solid work ethic, doesn’t mind grunt work, and overcame obstacles. Someone could write an amazing essay off the type of shit (literal and not literal) they put up with at that job, and how it prepares them for tough clients and bosses. Someone who spent an extended time traveling could make that work in their resume, depending on what they did. Begging for money and hassling Catholics isn’t something to brag about.

Schools can also look up your social media (maybe that’s why he went private, lol). I have friends who change their name on Facebook during the application process to schools or to residency after medical school so they can’t be found. Schools would not be impressed with his ranting and bullying. And lord, if they googled him? Just no. And if Rufus blessed him and helped him gain admission the course work would bury him. The course work is overwhelming for hard workers! A grifter who refuses to support his children couldn’t get through one course.

He could do okay at one of those unaccredited Christian schools. If he doesn’t have to work hard.

Even people who graduate from good law schools struggle to find a job. I have a friend who went to a good mid-tier law school and it took her over a year (maybe 2?) to find a job. She tutored kids to earn money and worked in a grocery store during that time and lived with her parents (which she also did during law school, even though it was an hour and a half drive each way).

Derick quoted Proverbs 24:26. Here's the New Living Translation, which us what I have. This whole chapter is curious considering Derick's weirdness.

I dont know what version he is using, I'll find out.

Screenshot_20180524-124012.png

Derick is using English Standard for those of you who wanna see the difference.

12 minutes ago, FJismyheadship said:

Derick quoted Proverbs 24:26. Here's the New Living Translation, which us what I have. This whole chapter is curious considering Derick's weirdness.

I dont know what version he is using, I'll find out.

Screenshot_20180524-124012.png

Derick is using English Standard for those of you who wanna see the difference.

Well we discovered why he can’t be honest - he can only kiss his wife! *ba dum tshhhhh*

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

OfJill: Dude, you're gonna be a shite lawyer. You don't have the work ethics for that. And how do you plan on paying for law school? Grifting?

He will stand in the median of a highway with "Need help for clown college law school" written on a sandwich board.

ETA: Now I'm even more bummed I'm blocked on Twitter.

Maybe OfJill has been recently inspired by Aaron Schlossberg, Racist Lawyer™. I heard his new tagline is, "I can be racist and not be disbarred, so can you!" and OfJill signed right up.

35 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Maybe OfJill has been recently inspired by Aaron Schlossberg, Racist Lawyer™. I heard his new tagline is, "I can be racist and not be disbarred, so can you!" and OfJill signed right up.

Oh, the one with the mariachi band led protest party outside his office today :my_biggrin:

https://www.gq.com/story/protesters-mariachi-racist-lawyer

Honestly, Derick wouldn’t have a problem getting into law school. He went to a decent school and his grades were probably decent as well. Now it doesn’t guarantee he will get into a great school, but there is a law school out there that will take him. There are a lot of lower tier schools where they accept nearly everyone. Also, unless you are maybe trying for a top school, no one is going to google you or check your social media. 

I think Derick’s problem in law school would be if he went to one that used the Socratic method he would become frustrated with a professor that will repeatedly question every answer he gives. It’s really scary when someone is throwing question after question to you and you are never prepared enough. I see Derick as the student who thinks he can beat the professor and who then is put in his place by the professor who is the true expert in the room. 

Law school is about the law, bringing religion into it, unless the case deals with a rare religious legal issue, would not be accepted. I can see Derick giving a religious answer because he doesn’t have the real answer. Also, it’s really hard work to go to law school. You give up a lot of time with family and friends to study alone and with groups. No more random trips or just chilling out doing nothing. I used to carry flash cards around in my purse and would use them while standing in lines or waiting for something. I don’t see Derick making the sacrifice and working hard for a law degree. 

After watching the video, I hope this friend of Jill’s becomes one of her better friends.  While they’re two separate religions, a conservative (assuming based on the modest clothing) Muslim woman probably has a lot in common, “values” wise with Jill.  Maybe (huge maybe) they’d even realize they pray to the same g*d, and just call him different names. 

While this friend isn’t going to lead her down a path to using birth control, getting a job, etc, it is going to expand her world view in a more gentle way. She may even change her views on people of other faiths and ethnic backgrounds in a positive way. 

I think its likely he could get into law school.  Depending on the school I think he could even get through it.  He did at one point put in some effort, so he probably could pull it together enough to pass the bar.  What he probably can't do is get a job that will pay off the loans he will need to take.  Many lawyers have a problem doing that, even form great schools.  Also these jobs require work ethic, which he doesn't seem to have.  Further these jobs are super competitive (we hired a new lawyer recently, we got over 100 applications in 1 day).  The schools might not look at his past much, but jobs will.  Further you have to get along with people in jobs.  Going to law school would be a disaster for him.

16 minutes ago, PurpleCats said:

While they’re two separate religions, a conservative (assuming based on the modest clothing) Muslim woman probably has a lot in common, “values” wise with Jill.  Maybe (huge maybe) they’d even realize they pray to the same g*d, and just call him different names. 

From my experience both at university (Islamic theology) and w/ human rights and political activism, a headscarf is by no means an indicator for conservative mindsets. Albeit anecdotal, there are many veiled Muslim women I know who would not agree w/ almost anything fundamentalist Christianity stands for and who would be very unwilling (and outspoken about it) to put up w/ repressive gender norms, patriarchy, the notion that women should stay at home having children instead of attending university and having a career, etc. I don’t know w/ which Muslim circles, sects etc. Jill is acquainted with, but chances are the women she hangs out with at mosque find her oppressive believes highly questionable. 

I’m still following Derick and will try to provide updates. I scrolled through the accounts he’s following, which have the most recent accounts first. The first one was Bill Clinton! The law school accounts were a while ago, but of course he could still be thinking about it.

2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

<snip>  Even people who graduate from good law schools struggle to find a job. I have a friend who went to a good mid-tier law school and it took her over a year (maybe 2?) to find a job. She tutored kids to earn money and worked in a grocery store during that time and lived with her parents (which she also did during law school, even though it was an hour and a half drive each way).

I agree.  If OfJill did get accepted to law school and somehow managed to make it through, graduate and pass the Bar in Arkansas, that's only half the battle.  Next, he's got to get hired by some firm.  And then that firm will work him like a dog and expect him to produce many, many billable hours and sleep on the floor of his tiny office.  They will also not look kindly on his "wifey" dropping by every day to have lunch with him, bringing along however many kids they have by that point.  That would not go over well.  

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived