IGNORED

Lori Alexander 46: She Sure Is Highly Edumacated

1 hour ago, Koala said:

Her posts are taking an interesting turn...

May 16th- Written by Judy Turner

May 18th- Written by Debi Pearl

May 21st- Written by David C. Cook

Lori's only contribution (besides mastering the art of copy and paste) was to take to Instagram to whine that even television moms have entered the work force, abandoned their children, and oh, can't we please go back to the good old days?!

She bemoans the fact that there can't be more shows w/ sahms like Little House on the Prairie, so I offer the following corrections, since Lori clearly has no clue what she's talking about.

Little House on the Prairie debuted 44 years ago, not 50.  The mother DID NOT sit around "the home" watching soaps and blogging.  In fact, she had what one might call a "shit ton" of work to do.

Caroline Ingalls, for instance, was originally a teacher.  She filled in at the school when needed, served on the Walnut Grove Church Committee, and sold goods to the store.  I also seem to remember her working as a server or a cook (can't remember which) at some point....could be wrong, but I am almost positive that I remember that.

Even Harriet Olsen (who reminds me so very much of Lori) worked at the Mercantile.  

I can't say much for the Waltons- that show wasn't really my cup of tea, but whatever.

That said, Lori whines:

To that I say- Lori, the television IS NOT MEANT to serve as a role model to your children.  And as for the Ingalls?  They were on television when your children were growing up, but by YOUR OWN account, this is what you had them watching:

Lori Alexander:

That's right, Lori wasn't watching sahm moms, she was watching people do "unbiblical" things.  And her child?  Well, Lori had her watching as well.  Soap operas for a five year old.  

So much for role models, huh Lori?  And when you think about it, that's what Lori sabotaged her birth control for.  She claims that it was so she could be home with her children, but here she admits that she was shoving them aside so she could watch television.

The real Caroline Ingalls never stopped working. She did not work out of the home, probably because most of the time they were so isolated there was no place she could work. But the family was often desperately poor, and I'm sure she would have jumped at the chance of a 9-5 if it could, you know, provide food and medical care for her family. As it was, she was happy to run a mini-boarding house once when new settlers came to town, and was absolutely delighted at the chance to earn money for Mary's schooling. (I was always struck as to how they did their best for Mary, despite their great poverty and very limited circumstances). She didn't seem to worry much about needing large blocks of empty time to "discipline" and "train" her kids, or to hang around her cul-de-sac talking to other mothers.

1 hour ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

Yes, Ma Ingalls did work. I remember her being a substitute teacher at the school and being a server at Mrs. Olsen's restaurant.  She also chewed Pa's butt once when he skipped church (pretending to be sick) and she came home and saw him working in the field on Sunday.

As for The Walton's:  Mrs. Walton filled in for the teacher at the school. Mary Ellen was a nurse and eventually went to medical school. Erin was a telephone operator.

These women worked so hard at home that I'm sure spending a day or two as a substitute teacher was a wonderful break. Much easier than doing laundry by hand for a family of 10.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Hisey said:

She bemoans the fact that there can't be more shows w/ sahms like Little House on the Prairie, so I offer the following corrections, since Lori clearly has no clue what she's talking about.

Was this in Instagram.  Blocked so I can't see it. Can someone post/screen shot it? Thanks

@SongRed7 Here you go under the spoiler.

Spoiler

IMG_1374.thumb.PNG.ddc4c5c59a582ecc94e00962ac04a73d.PNG

I watch a few shows online but I still find mothers who are keepers at home in most shows that I watch.

Game of Thrones: Mothers were keepers at home but that didn't prevent them from being bad ass if necessary. Mothers include Gilly, Olenna Tyrell, Catelyn Stark and Cersei Lannister.

Westworld: Lawrence's wife is a mother to a young girl andseems to be a keeper at home.

Supernatural: Mary Winchester was a hunter and stayed home to raise her sons before she died in a fire and raised from the dead.

The Big Bang Theory: Mary Cooper is a devout Christian from East Texas. Mrs. Rostenkowski ran an illegal daycare center from home.

The Handmaid's Tale: Most women in Gilead except for Jezebels and Unwomen are keepers at home.

2 hours ago, Koala said:

I can't say much for the Waltons- that show wasn't really my cup of tea, but whatever.

Olivia was a sahm, along with grandma Walton during the beginning of the series, but all the girls had jobs, and eventually Olivia became a social worker. In the series, Caroline Ingalls was a cook at the restaurant Nellie ran, and in real life Caroline Ingalls ran a hotel and restaurant in Burr Oak, Iowa for a while. 

Sorry, I loved both series...:giggle:

4 hours ago, Joyce said:

Ken Alexander has graduate training in psychology from Biola University, which is also the alma mater of John MacArthur.

Anyway, I don't get MacArthur's non-belief in psychology. At the very least, isn't psychology useful in persuading people to believe in God and to behave according to the Bible? 

You'd be surprised at the number of groups who think psychology is of the devil. Integration of psychology and Christian is one of my major areas of interest. Of course, I NEVER use the Bible with clients who don't want it. I always ask if I'm in a Christian setting but some very much appreciate it when combined with other therapeutic techniques.

But in studying it, I have had to read different perspectives on it. And like what Lori preaches, the Bible is seen as being able to cure mental illness and mental illness is seen as being primarily born of personal sin. When in reality mental illness often stems from being sinned against (abuse) which is a different challenge. Most therapeutic techniques aren't that far off from biblical principles but many don't seen it that way. Instead they use biblical counseling which has positives but biblical counselors often falls short of a complete education on mental health, often wounding people in the process. 

Idk how these people expect to use biblical counseling on individuals who aren't Christian but well that's something they have to deal with. However, a career goal of mine is to help churches and mental health counselors connect and form relationships. I also desire to help pastors address abuse and mental illness in the churches. (If they'd listen to a woman that is) 

my entire undergrad thesis was on this topic so I need to stop before you have 30 pages worth of stuff. 

6 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Feminism is about CHOICE. That’s what these fundies don’t understand. To them feminism means angry women who hate men and children (as in, they’re usually pro-choice). When, actually, it’s about equality and choice. If a woman wants to keep her maiden name, that’s cool. If she wants to change it, that’s fine too. It’s not like Meghan Markle is going to sit around in Kensington Palace all day and produce babies. She’ll be doing all sorts of royal duties and charity work, much like Kate. 

EXACTLY!  I have been a SAHM and am now  SAHW by CHOICE, not because someone told me that is what I have to do.  I have worked outside of the home and it makes me miserable.  I am very aware of how privileged I am to have this choice, and I recognize that not everyone would make the same choice given my circumstances. It baffles me when people insist that their way is the only way,  It's the way for YOU, not necessarily anyone else..

5 hours ago, Koala said:

If Caroline was a stay-at-home mom, then Pa was a stay-at-home dad! They both worked their butts off at the home(stead). Someone should let Lori know what a heathen family the Ingalls were. 

1 hour ago, Sarah92 said:

You'd be surprised at the number of groups who think psychology is of the devil. Integration of psychology and Christian is one of my major areas of interest. Of course, I NEVER use the Bible with clients who don't want it. I always ask if I'm in a Christian setting but some very much appreciate it when combined with other therapeutic techniques.

But in studying it, I have had to read different perspectives on it. And like what Lori preaches, the Bible is seen as being able to cure mental illness and mental illness is seen as being primarily born of personal sin. When in reality mental illness often stems from being sinned against (abuse) which is a different challenge. Most therapeutic techniques aren't that far off from biblical principles but many don't seen it that way. Instead they use biblical counseling which has positives but biblical counselors often falls short of a complete education on mental health, often wounding people in the process. 

Idk how these people expect to use biblical counseling on individuals who aren't Christian but well that's something they have to deal with. However, a career goal of mine is to help churches and mental health counselors connect and form relationships. I also desire to help pastors address abuse and mental illness in the churches. (If they'd listen to a woman that is) 

my entire undergrad thesis was on this topic so I need to stop before you have 30 pages worth of stuff. 

I know a monk/psychiatrist. He is a great doctor and a wonderful person in general but - like you - he leaves religion out of his job unless it is specifically asked for.

Mental illnesses, delusion often have a religious aspect (think christian guilt " we are all sinners).

Sometimes when other psychologists can't get through to a patient, he will. And some patients flat out refuse to talk to medical personnel but they'd open up to him.

Your background will be very useful in the future, l'm sure. Bridging the gap between church social services and psychologists would be quite an achievement, I wish you all the best!

So, Ken's father was a missionary and Lori's father was a doctor.  I'm beginning to see the attraction.

2 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

Thank you for all this information! I find it very interesting that this article: Christianity & Depression: It's Complicated  popped up on CNN today.

34 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

Because this will be deleted from FB soon.....

waltons.jpg

Wendy's God hating comment has already been deleted.  It's obvious she doesn't care one bit about what God has to say.  Besides, sometimes Lori *has* to change the truth up a bit- to fit her message, you know....

Check out this pic from my daughter's evil public school yearbook. But nah, the children can't talk about God.

IMG_20180521_163838403_HDR.jpg

@squiddysquid thank you! And that sounds like a wonderful gift he has to be both a monk and a psychiatrist. Really that's such a fascinating combination, does he have a website that you'd be comfortable sharing? 

@quiversR4hunting thanks for sharing that article. It really almost brought me to tears because I have a friend who recently went through something similar. But it's also a perfect illustration of what so many Christians and individuals go through but keep hidden in fear of judgement. 

20 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

Yes who would have thought that feminists are such big fans of Bill Nye? Maybe it's the bow tie? Bow ties are pretty sexy.

Excuse me but bowties are cool..

Spoiler

50 years ago I was watching Star Trek. Where women were vital to the running of the ship. Uhura even took charge of the helm (and the navigation station) when one of the male characters was attacked. She also took over the science station on one occasion. She did her own repairs on the communication hardware. She was bad-ass enough to survive in the mirror universe or the gladiator arena one.

Nurse Chapel was competent nurse who later further her career as a doctor.

There were plenty of female rulers, diplomats and scientists. I'd much rather have watched Trek than any show where the women stayed at home, even if they had housekeepers.

5 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

50 years ago I was watching Star Trek. Where women were vital to the running of the ship. Uhura even took charge of the helm (and the navigation station) when one of the male characters was attacked. She also took over the science station on one occasion. She did her own repairs on the communication hardware. She was bad-ass enough to survive in the mirror universe or the gladiator arena one.

There were plenty of female rulers, diplomats and scientists. I'd much rather have watched Trek than any show where the women stayed at home, even if they had housekeepers.

50+ years on and I am STILL watching it. Uhura has always been one of my role models.

These women worked so hard at home that I'm sure spending a day or two as a substitute teacher was a wonderful break. Much easier than doing laundry by hand for a family of 10.
I hate doing laundry NOW - I would do anything to skip that chore of seemingly endless washing, drying, folding, putting away etc, including going back to sub teaching, and that's with all the nice machinery I now possess. I can't imagine going back to the past and adding days to my laundry cycle - the washer and dryer are truly some of the most amazing and innovative inventions created in recent times. Anyone who says different is fooling themselves or doesn't do the laundry.

@Sarah92 no website unfortunately. It is quite an unusual combination but really a great one.

Though I know a lawyer/monk too. (both only felt called later in life, after their studies and are hence quite relaxed when it comes to "worldly" lifestyles.) He always says "the bible is not a book of law". Meaning the bible isn't exact in it's wording and any given passage can be interpreted in very different -if not opposite- ways. He also thinks anyone who takes the bible literally is an idiot...

But back to the monk/psychiatrist on top of just beeing a great person people just enjoy talking to, he really has a gift. Some people also feel a need to confess their past sins which are torturing them now. He can get people to admit that they've sexually abused their children for example and get them to confess that later in front of a judge too, or just to bring some closure to their victims.

He is also heavily involved in palliative, end if life care and accompanying cancer patient throughout their journey when spiritual questions arise and often works with their families too.

Twitter: Did Lori disable comments on her Twitter page? I don't see new comments on her Twitter page.

Blog: When will Lori post her own articles? It seems she's just reposting articles from other writers recently.

Instagram: While Lori's message of thrift is good, it seems ironic coming from a woman with a million dollar home.

Maybe Lori can post about topics where she has personal experience.

How did she change from deceiving her husband (and putting a hole in her diaphgram) to teaching the truth in love?

How did she reduce any vices like gossiping and watching television so that she can do God's commands?

How did she change from wearing short shorts and nail polish to being modest and natural?

Thanks in advance, Lori and Ken!

What the hell--now she has a post written by the asshole KB Davies. I haven't read it yet, but why isn't she doing her own posts? I hate when one of the fangirls chime in and say "this is your best post ever", and she didn't even write it! They probably don't even know. 

I am starting to think her mom has taken a turn...

The post is another copy and paste job, and the Instagram mentions sitting with her cousins.

If that's the case, I've been where Lori is.  She needs to quit wasting these moments, and be truly present with her mom and her family.

Yesterday she was deleting (totally respectful) comments about Little House on the Prairie.  That is not a good use of this time....

Today she made a post out of something K.B Davies wrote- a waste of time on any day.

Then of course there's the Instagram saying she doesn't window shop, or buy things she doesn't need.  Really?  Because her Instagram shows pictures from every gift shop in Door County, and she's constantly bragging on some expensive (worthless) thing or another she's bought off the internet.

Just stop.  Put the phone down, forget about the delete button, and be there for your family.

Along those lines, there's this comment from her scribble of 18th May, the one about women leaving home to work and families fragmenting:

This is so true. And women are leaving their homes via the internet too. We women have much to guard against now.

Lori 'liked' it. I swear, she really was telling the truth about her college education. She learned nothing. She certainly didn't learn to recognise sarcasm and irony when she sees it. :my_dodgy:

12 hours ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

According to Wikipedia: In "What Are Little Girls Made Of?", it is explained that Chapel abandoned a career in bio-research for a position in Starfleet."

My understanding was that she was already a doctor, and took the posting as head nurse under McCoy, to search for her fiance´. Later got a posting as a doctor.

I once had a priest who had a master’s in social work. It helped make him a wonderful pastor. (He came to our parish when it was struggling financially, got it on its feet, then requested a transfer to another struggling parish.)

• Destiny locked and unlocked this topic
  • Destiny locked this topic

Archived