IGNORED

Lori Alexander 46: She Sure Is Highly Edumacated

I know very little about Megan Merkel whom this person was initially referring to. I didn't follow her story. But not all feminists keep their last name, not all want to. I might hyphenate mine because the people having babies in my family tend to have girls so my last name is "dying out". I love that we have so many talented women in my family! Also I have degrees that are attached to my last name. 

What Merkel does is her choice (part of being a feminist right?). And can these people get it right that they aren't trying to be over men but equal to?

It always comes down to a power struggle with them. Whether it's husband and kids, men and women, husband and wife, it's literally always about power. Never grace, love, compassion, or balance. 

image.png

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, the husband or kids thing is NOT limited to the fundie crowd.  If I see one more of them on FB, I will scream.  I just do not get the emphasis put on who gets helped or served first.

To break down that (rather stupid) comment:

But then, marriage is not an achievement!

Well, no.  Marriage in and of itself is not an achievement. Pretty much anyone can do it.  Look at Lori and Ken.  They've been married going on 40 years, and I'd hardly call the tit for tat / money for sex existence they have an "achievement".  

On the flip side, a marriage born of love and friendship, built on mutual respect can be an amazing achievement, if you want to call it that.

I can't quit my job because of a man
I can't change my surname after marriage

I think the correct feminist view would be "I don't have to...".  Choice.  That is what feminism calls for.

Please take a look at these photos and tell me if Meghan looks oppressed, sad and depressed after making those decisions. Obviously she doesn’t.

Only the shallowest of fools would presume to gauge emotional well being via a wedding picture.

Another reader writes:

My dad got his own breakfast every morning. Does that mean my mom was not a good wife 

Honey, you're asking the wrong person.  Ken "fends for himself".  Lori serves no one.  

On 5/19/2018 at 8:22 AM, lilwriter85 said:

Ken has a masters of divinity degree from BIOLA. When he was on FJ, he gave some details on his background. His family was poor as his father was a missionary. I sometimes think if Ken had married a woman from similar economic background, he might have turned out better. I suspect that since Lori was and still is a spoiled brat that caused conflicts with her and Ken. 

But, Ken has said some nasty things about poor people. I remember him leaving a comment on the Always Learning blog, where he bashed people in bad neighborhoods for buying their children bad junk food. Then there are the nasty comments Ken has made about working women and some working women have to work.  

I can sort of see her being like Zsu Anderson. She would be nasty to people if they asked for help and I can't see Lori doing any kind of outreach work like many minister's wives do.

Interesting on the story of Ken's "poor" background. He makes it always sound like his upbringing was straight out of Oliver Twist. I've known a few missionary families over the years and while they weren't wealthy, they were always comfortable.

@Sarah92  I know a number of women that use their maiden name professionally because that is what they have degrees, awards, business contacts, etc under and then use their married name in their "personal" life.

I didn't change my name initially because even though it was my ex-husband's name I was known (on the internet) by that name.   When I started going in the hospital every 5 minutes, I changed it because I was tired of hearing my husband being called my ex-husband's last name.  It didn't matter to him, but it mattered to me, so I changed.

4 hours ago, Koala said:

I think the correct feminist view would be "I don't have to...".  Choice.  That is what feminism calls for.

Exactly. For me, the choice was maiden name (my father's name), my ex's, or my new husband.  That was a no-brainer for me, but someone else might choose differently. To each her own! 

I need some assistance. So a person I get up with posted this

Screenshot_20180520-195254.thumb.png.6325ca193b1e2c540a669a372cbb3685.png

I want to warn her about Lori, I can do that, I read her book, I don't even have to talk about FJ to tell her about Lori! But who is this guy?

@Sarah92, this is gold: “nye nye nye so says the feminist.” I’m confused: I would not choose to address The Science Guy this way. And it’s a subset of knights who actually say “Ni.” *shakes head, moves away*

2 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I want to warn her about Lori, I can do that, I read her book, I don't even have to talk about FJ to tell her about Lori! But who is this guy?

He’s a fairly well known preacher. He oversees the head church that Jeremy Vuolo’s Church is under. He has authored a lot of Bible study books and does a lot of work with understanding context in Bible passages (historical, cultural, language, etc.). He’s conservative but I wouldn’t label him fundie. He’s a big name in the reformed/Calvinist crowd. 

3 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

MacArthur is a pretty well known Christian speaker, author, and college president. I believe he has written a series of biblical commentary. We have his books at my uni. I avoid him because he's comp and has made negative, uneducated remarks against psychology. He's also seems to be a cessationist which means that he believes that spiritual gifts given to the apostles (I.e speaking in tongues) are no longer something that occurstoday. I tend to view this as an arrogant assumption that attempts to put limits on God. 

So I'd personally rather listen to other people. 

3 hours ago, Hane said:

@Sarah92, this is gold: “nye nye nye so says the feminist.” I’m confused: I would not choose to address The Science Guy this way. And it’s a subset of knights who actually say “Ni.” *shakes head, moves away*

Yes who would have thought that feminists are such big fans of Bill Nye? Maybe it's the bow tie? Bow ties are pretty sexy. Haha that's actually one of my first thoughts about the Knights. 

30 minutes ago, squiddysquid said:

Psychology, really? :pb_lol:

Screenshot_2018-05-21-11-26-12.png

I just read more about MacArthur above and he doesn't believe in psychology. Other's we talk about here don't believe in any mental health issues besides "pray it away" so (sadly) I'm not suprised. 

19 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

I know very little about Megan Merkel whom this person was initially referring to. I didn't follow her story. But not all feminists keep their last name, not all want to. I might hyphenate mine because the people having babies in my family tend to have girls so my last name is "dying out". I love that we have so many talented women in my family! Also I have degrees that are attached to my last name. 

What Merkel does is her choice (part of being a feminist right?). And can these people get it right that they aren't trying to be over men but equal to?

It always comes down to a power struggle with them. Whether it's husband and kids, men and women, husband and wife, it's literally always about power. Never grace, love, compassion, or balance. 

image.png

Is this deep thinker saying Meghan Markle isn't a feminist because she's changing her name and not acting anymore?  "I'm proud to be a feminist" is part of her official royal profile LOL

2 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I just read more about MacArthur above and he doesn't believe in psychology. Other's we talk about here don't believe in any mental health issues besides "pray it away" so (sadly) I'm not suprised. 

Ken Alexander has graduate training in psychology from Biola University, which is also the alma mater of John MacArthur.

Anyway, I don't get MacArthur's non-belief in psychology. At the very least, isn't psychology useful in persuading people to believe in God and to behave according to the Bible? 

Feminism is about CHOICE. That’s what these fundies don’t understand. To them feminism means angry women who hate men and children (as in, they’re usually pro-choice). When, actually, it’s about equality and choice. If a woman wants to keep her maiden name, that’s cool. If she wants to change it, that’s fine too. It’s not like Meghan Markle is going to sit around in Kensington Palace all day and produce babies. She’ll be doing all sorts of royal duties and charity work, much like Kate. 

“We don’t believe in psychology or paychiatry” is rapidly becoming a red-flag for cults in my mind. It is part of the predatory “you’re broken and only we can fix you” mentality. Emotional issues is your brokenness, you can’t take that to some secular doctor or therapist! They can’t help you! What are they going to do? Talk to you!? Give you pills!? That’s not going to get the demons/engrams/influences of satan out of you!

And this John MacArthur guy clearly knows nothing about parenting thrughout history. People like this drive me crazy because they’re just making assumptions about the world based only on extremely recent history. But just over 100 years ago children were being raised by neighbors and schools and each other. Before contraceptives were widely used people ad too many kids! It was impossible to be intimately involved in each of their lives. And before public education, and child labor laws, children were sent to work. Boys and girls both. Farm work, chimney sweeping, factory work, apprenticeships, serving rich families, etc. You think their parents were hovering behind them making sure they stayed away from satan’s influences? Fuck no! They had their own work to do. Wealthy children were raised primarily by nannies, wet nurses, and governesses. This was true for centuries in the west! This idea of the ideal nuclear family with a stay at home mom who raises the kids herself was invented in the 20th century. Children have always been raised by community groups. Stop trying to make perfectly good parents feel like failures for needing help with something that parents throughout history have ALWAYS had help with. 

Sorry, but I hate that shit so much. 

Does anyone think its strange that Lori did not post at all yesterday? I worry that her mother has taken a turn for the worse. 

EDIT:  She just posted today.

38 minutes ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

“We don’t believe in psychology or paychiatry” is rapidly becoming a red-flag for cults in my mind. It is part of the predatory “you’re broken and only we can fix you” mentality. Emotional issues is your brokenness, you can’t take that to some secular doctor or therapist! They can’t help you! What are they going to do? Talk to you!? Give you pills!? That’s not going to get the demons/engrams/influences of satan out of you!

And this John MacArthur guy clearly knows nothing about parenting thrughout history. People like this drive me crazy because they’re just making assumptions about the world based only on extremely recent history. But just over 100 years ago children were being raised by neighbors and schools and each other. Before contraceptives were widely used people ad too many kids! It was impossible to be intimately involved in each of their lives. And before public education, and child labor laws, children were sent to work. Boys and girls both. Farm work, chimney sweeping, factory work, apprenticeships, serving rich families, etc. You think their parents were hovering behind them making sure they stayed away from satan’s influences? Fuck no! They had their own work to do. Wealthy children were raised primarily by nannies, wet nurses, and governesses. This was true for centuries in the west! This idea of the ideal nuclear family with a stay at home mom who raises the kids herself was invented in the 20th century. Children have always been raised by community groups. Stop trying to make perfectly good parents feel like failures for needing help with something that parents throughout history have ALWAYS had help with. 

Sorry, but I hate that shit so much. 

you said it so much better than I to my real life friend. I don't see there is more of this today, just different and more public (social media). Even in my parents lifetime, my grandmothers (farmer wives and 1 taught school after my dad graduated college) they didn't watch the kids all the time. They were in the fields, cleaning the house, going to school, etc. In one of my grandparents, doing whatever it was to stay out of my grandmother's wrath (the cleaning was never good enough, etc). The other grandmother when she got to the youngest (15 years younger than my dad, who is the oldest), he was out riding dirt bikes through all the woods and fields and doing "innocent" mischief. One of my aunts acts completely entitled (she is in her late 60s), so this too isn't new to "kids today". These generalizations make me :pulling_hair:

Her posts are taking an interesting turn...

May 16th- Written by Judy Turner

May 18th- Written by Debi Pearl

May 21st- Written by David C. Cook

Lori's only contribution (besides mastering the art of copy and paste) was to take to Instagram to whine that even television moms have entered the work force, abandoned their children, and oh, can't we please go back to the good old days?!

She bemoans the fact that there can't be more shows w/ sahms like Little House on the Prairie, so I offer the following corrections, since Lori clearly has no clue what she's talking about.

Little House on the Prairie debuted 44 years ago, not 50.  The mother DID NOT sit around "the home" watching soaps and blogging.  In fact, she had what one might call a "shit ton" of work to do.

Caroline Ingalls, for instance, was originally a teacher.  She filled in at the school when needed, served on the Walnut Grove Church Committee, and sold goods to the store.  I also seem to remember her working as a server or a cook (can't remember which) at some point....could be wrong, but I am almost positive that I remember that.

Even Harriet Olsen (who reminds me so very much of Lori) worked at the Mercantile.  

I can't say much for the Waltons- that show wasn't really my cup of tea, but whatever.

That said, Lori whines:

Many women have no role models of mothers at home who love and enjoy being there...

To that I say- Lori, the television IS NOT MEANT to serve as a role model to your children.  And as for the Ingalls?  They were on television when your children were growing up, but by YOUR OWN account, this is what you had them watching:

Lori Alexander:

When I was a young mother, I would watch several soap operas. I would tape them every day so I wouldn’t miss an episode. During the children’s naps, I would watch people do things that are unbiblical and far from anything resembling purity. I was so addicted, however, that I was easily able to justify it by saying to myself that I deserved to be entertained and have time for just me. When Alyssa, my oldest, was five years old and no longer took naps, she began watching them with me. 

That's right, Lori wasn't watching sahm moms, she was watching people do "unbiblical" things.  And her child?  Well, Lori had her watching as well.  Soap operas for a five year old.  

So much for role models, huh Lori?  And when you think about it, that's what Lori sabotaged her birth control for.  She claims that it was so she could be home with her children, but here she admits that she was shoving them aside so she could watch television.

I would LOVE to see Lori sent back in time 100 - 200 years, and not to a wealthy family, but an average or even poor one. She'd collapse under the weight of work within a day or two! And she'd be boggled at the number of women (and children...) working money-making jobs, inside the home or not. 

She certainly wouldn't be sitting at home blogging while her mother is deathly ill, she'd be doing most of the work to care for her. I don't think she understands just how little "free time" there was, in the "good old days" especially the Little House on the Prairie days. Free time is an invention that came along with lots of technological advances. Laundry used to take multiple days. A holiday "day off" meant extra work for a week or so before. Cooking often took hours for each meal, with in-between times (what few there were) used for putting away food for the winter. Before electricity, pre-heating an oven meant building a fire in it. You couldn't stick your big salad in the fridge and eat on it for a week! I can't see Lori out in the garden picking beans to can for the winter, or digging up potatoes.

She is hopelessly clueless. I pity her children and grandchildren.

21 minutes ago, Koala said:

Her posts are taking an interesting turn...

May 16th- Written by Judy Turner

May 18th- Written by Debi Pearl

May 21st- Written by David C. Cook

Lori's only contribution (besides mastering the art of copy and paste) was to take to Instagram to whine that even television moms have entered the work force, abandoned their children, and oh, can't we please go back to the good old days?!

She bemoans the fact that there can't be more shows w/ sahms like Little House on the Prairie, so I offer the following corrections, since Lori clearly has no clue what she's talking about.

Little House on the Prairie debuted 44 years ago, not 50.  The mother DID NOT sit around "the home" watching soaps and blogging.  In fact, she had what one might call a "shit ton" of work to do.

Caroline Ingalls, for instance, was originally a teacher.  She filled in at the school when needed, served on the Walnut Grove Church Committee, and sold goods to the store.  I also seem to remember her working as a server or a cook (can't remember which) at some point....could be wrong, but I am almost positive that I remember that.

Even Harriet Olsen (who reminds me so very much of Lori) worked at the Mercantile.  

I can't say much for the Waltons- that show wasn't really my cup of tea, but whatever.

That said, Lori whines:

To that I say- Lori, the television IS NOT MEANT to serve as a role model to your children.  And as for the Ingalls?  They were on television when your children were growing up, but by YOUR OWN account, this is what you had them watching:

Lori Alexander:

That's right, Lori wasn't watching sahm moms, she was watching people do "unbiblical" things.  And her child?  Well, Lori had her watching as well.  Soap operas for a five year old.  

So much for role models, huh Lori?  And when you think about it, that's what Lori sabotaged her birth control for.  She claims that it was so she could be home with her children, but here she admits that she was shoving them aside so she could watch television.

Yes, Ma Ingalls did work. I remember her being a substitute teacher at the school and being a server at Mrs. Olsen's restaurant.  She also chewed Pa's butt once when he skipped church (pretending to be sick) and she came home and saw him working in the field on Sunday.

As for The Walton's:  Mrs. Walton filled in for the teacher at the school. Mary Ellen was a nurse and eventually went to medical school. Erin was a telephone operator.

Lori's new blog post seems to be a reaction to the sermon at the royal wedding. Isn't this post considered preaching or teaching to churches, which Lori says that women shouldn't do?

Maybe Lori can just stick to sharing her godly experience and  teaching younger women how to be keepers of the home, just as she said.

33 minutes ago, Joyce said:

Lori's new blog post seems to be a reaction to the sermon at the royal wedding. Isn't this post considered preaching or teaching to churches, which Lori says that women shouldn't do?

Maybe Lori can just stick to sharing her godly experience and  teaching younger women how to be keepers of the home, just as she said.

First thing I thought of, too. Especially with the photo she used of a heart on fire. The Bishop spent a few minutes talking about fire as well as love! Of course, he mentioned Jesus several times, too, but Jesus isn't Paul, so I'm sure Lori won't count that. :my_dodgy:

I actually wonder why Lori had Steven and Cassi? I mean she had Alyssa and Ken wouldn't let her stay home until they had a second child so she sabotaged her birth control to get pregnant with Ryan. They had two healthy kids and one of each, typical family. She now stayed at home. Did Ken say when they were older, she'd have to go back to work and so had a couple more children to delay it? I could see that actually. She was willing to sabotage her  birth control just to get pregnant. Then Ken kinda said that 4 was enough. Then when Cassi was little, she had "parasites" and then the car crash happened. Suddenly she was "so sick" and likely "couldn't" work. But 4 kids is "too much" so of course, nanny and maid hired. Lori gets everything she wants. Then the kids were grown and Ken mentioned possible divorce and Lori decided to be "submissive" (haha) and she HAD to stay home because that's "god's way" for women. Anything to sit on her ass and do as little as possible. 

• Destiny locked and unlocked this topic
  • Destiny locked this topic

Archived