IGNORED

Lori Alexander 46: She Sure Is Highly Edumacated

37 minutes ago, delphinium65 said:

You said it much better than I could have, thank you!  :)  

I think her 'ministry' to the disadvantaged allows her to feel superior to them, while appearing  to 'help,' although now that you mention it, she may very well have been rejected by the other wives you mention.  If she tried to tell them how to live...yeah, I could see them telling her where she can stick it.  I think everyone involved would be happier if Lori found some kind of hobby or activity to enjoy!  

I'm guessing that's precisely what has happened at every church she's attended over the years. 

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SongRed7, we loved Big Comfy Couch!

When my youngest nephew was little, he surprised his mother one evening by walking around the living room picking up his toys and singing “Clean up, clean up/Everybody, everywhere/Clean up, clean up/Everybody do your share!” He’d learned this in Evil Preschool.

4 hours ago, delphinium65 said:

There's nothing wrong with not understanding someone else's life.  If you haven't been there, done that, you're not going to fully get it.  But you're willing to admit it.  Not only will Lori not admit to a lack of knowledge, she makes it crystal clear that she doesn't care enough to try, or even refer her readers to someone who can actually help.  

@EowynW  I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you.  I hope it all works out even better than you hoped!  

I've been thinking about this from my own experience. I know how to live poor. I can cook basic cheap ingredients from scratch and make them tasty. I can grow and preserve vegetables, raise livestock, and do basic repairs. I've gleaned (still do) and dumpster dived. I've lived without electricity and running water. I buy most of my clothes from Goodwill and I darn my favorite socks to extend their life. I dry my laundry on the line all the months it isn't constantly raining  here. I don't buy what I can't afford and I don't have debt. I'm way closer than Lori is to living the life she prescribes (except for the whole submission and staying at home thing).

But what I've never experienced is actual hardcore financial insecurity, so I'm clueless about actually being poor. When I was younger I always knew, even at my brokest, that I could turn to my likewise frugal, debt-free family and they would help me out. I knew I would eventually inherit some assets, which I did. I always had health insurance. I always had marketable skills via the education my folks helped pay for. The choices I've made have been about preferences--doing work I care about, having money to travel and to donate, living where I like--rather than necessity.

It took me a long time to realize the extent of my good fortune, my privilege. I always knew I was dealt a good hand, but I used to wonder why some friends and acquaintances didn't just reprioritize and stop fretting about money and mortgages and possible pay raises so much. I didn't understand what it would feel like to do without that generational middle-class safety net. I hope I didn't voice those judgy thoughts back then, and I certainly don't think I have a right to tell other people how to live now.

Lori is mean, bitchy, and bossy. She posts things she knows will hurt her own daughters. She posts terrible things about her mother. She is trying to promote a lifestyle that would bankrupt the majority of the US population, and proclaiming it the only Godly way. 

It's not what SHE did, of course. Or even really what her kids are doing. Or what she is currently doing in many cases. But it's the only Godly way. 

Maybe she's trying to convince herself that only miserable rich folks go to heaven, I don't know. But she's actively hurting people, and seems to enjoy that.

Can you imagine, with her means, if she blogged about a hobby, instead? A small garden to grow her own organic veggies, maybe? A travel blog, a makeup blog, knitting, sewing, coloring, crafting of any sort, etc.? She has plenty of time to do any of these things, and could share her wisdom with others who are younger and have less time in a way that is helpful and uplifting.

But instead, she chooses to keep hurting people, and calling it "Godly". 

I'm not angry at her because she's rich. I'm not really angry at her at all. But I do find her terribly irritating because she is a hypocrite, because she is actively mean and hurtful even to her own loved ones, and because she is a generally terrible person. I feel sorry for her family. Except Ken, who chose her and chooses to stay with her and defend her. He made his had their housekeeper make his bed, he can lie in it.

I often idly wonder: did she marry a terrible man, and “go over to the enemy”? Did he, on the other hand, marry a terrible woman?

Or did two terrible people take each other off the market, sparing others much pain and grief?

I think of some of my male cousins who say things like, “I studied hard and got my college education and work for a living and pay my bills to make sure my family has everything it needs—so what’s wrong with THOSE people?”

First of all, even if your parents weren’t college-educated themselves, they raised you with the expectation of college and a career, *and paid your tuition and fees.* No, your parents weren’t rich, but you grew up in a safe, stable, comfortable home where there was food on the table and clean clothes to wear. You grew up thinking that getting an education and a career are the norm. It’s not hard to go with the flow in those circumstances.

What if your home life had been chaotic? What if it were a crapshoot to find out whether there was actual food available when you were hungry? What if a pair of decent shoes that fit were considered a luxury? What if there were no transportation to get you where you needed to go?

Yes, my cousins and I were raised by parents who grew up in the Depression—but in our families, the stress and food insecurity of the ‘30s wasn’t considered “normal,” but a period of disastrous luck to be overcome. After all, prior to the Depression one of my grandfathers had a college degree and a profession; the other was a professional shoemaker with his own business. They and their wives *hadn’t* grown up in abject poverty. 

I have no patience with people who can’t see beyond their privilege.

45 years of marriage to a mean guy gets you 30 days of nice guy in the end! Sign me up! 

45years30days.PNG

8 hours ago, Krissy said:

Because study after study does prove how devastating divorce is.

Actually study after study shows that a marriage in conflict is worse on children. Here are 2 sources - the first is an article about divorce quoting researchers from UVA & Penn State https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-divorce-bad-for-children/

The 2nd source is Dr. Emory and (according to his website) he is a researcher and counselor in divorce: http://emeryondivorce.com/staying_together_for_children.php

What I see in the description that @Chocolatedefrauded quoted of the person crying over her parent's divorce 30 years latter is a sign that the writer of that information is not mentally well.

8 hours ago, Krissy said:

Who knows how much this persons life changed after the divorce? Maybe their needs weren’t getting met because mom was struggling herself. Some kids or adults are more resilient than others.

you are right, we (internet strangers reading this woman's woe is me on the internet) doesn't know how her life changed. All kids are resilient but for some reason this person decided to remain stuck. It was either done by the parents or the person's mental well being (or lack there of). For example, I have an aunt that is "woe is me" and an evil woman. She has had every aliment (she has been "dying" of cancer for 20 years and she has been cured of lupus) she is rich, lives in a lovely home on a lake but she is bitter over her sister that died 35 years ago from complications of Lupus and angioedema. My living aunt has decided to be the victim when she really has lived a charmed life but all she sees is the horribleness of it. 4 kids in the family, my dad, my uncle and my deceased aunt all have (or had) good outlooks on life. So this evil aunt has choosen to be a victim, choosen to look at the bad in everything. IMO, much like Lori and this woman lamenting her parent's divorce for 30+years.

4 minutes ago, Hane said:

I think of some of my male cousins who say things like, “I studied hard and got my college education and work for a living and pay my bills to make sure my family has everything it needs—so what’s wrong with THOSE people?”

First of all, even if your parents weren’t college-educated themselves, they raised you with the expectation of college and a career, *and paid your tuition and fees.* No, your parents weren’t rich, but you grew up in a safe, stable, comfortable home where there was food on the table and clean clothes to wear. You grew up thinking that getting an education and a career are the norm. It’s not hard to go with the flow in those circumstances.

What if your home life had been chaotic? What if it were a crapshoot to find out whether there was actual food available when you were hungry? What if a pair of decent shoes that fit were considered a luxury? What if there were no transportation to get you where you needed to go?

Yes, my cousins and I were raised by parents who grew up in the Depression—but in our families, the stress and food insecurity of the ‘30s wasn’t considered “normal,” but a period of disastrous luck to be overcome. After all, prior to the Depression one of my grandfathers had a college degree and a profession; the other was a professional shoemaker with his own business. They and their wives *hadn’t* grown up in abject poverty. 

I have no patience with people who can’t see beyond their privilege.

Yes to all of this! I meet teenagers who never had *how* to have a job modeled for them. Things seem second nature when you’ve grown up with them—schedules, calling in, being on time, work appropriate clothes, how to handle conflict, how to have an interview, how to fill out an application, watching your language in front of customers, etc.  Not everyone has experience with parents or other family members modeling that or helping them learn. 

As for Lori, I think what bothers me is she has a narrow view of the things a woman *must* do—stay home, no birth control, lots of babbies, submit to husband. When people who have had experiences that counter-indicate this (husband doesn’t make enough to support everyone; health is failing and one more baby may kill me; we can’t feed everyone) mention them to Lori, she says that they should just be that narrow definition of “Godly,” whatever suffering it may bring. Which is a hell of a thing to go and tell people to suffer when she’s never experienced being hungry or beaten and cut off the baby train at four. Life is full of exceptions; shit happens. But Lori just says let them eat cake. 

From Lori's Facebook:

Reader:

I'm honestly struggling with loving my kids right now... do you have anything on how to train and discipline in love? And stay consistent

Lori replies:

It's difficult to love your children if they aren't disciplined properly and aren't obeying you. I encourage you to buy the book To Train Up a Child and learn how to love and discipline your children. It's a gift you give them!

No, Lori.  Parents who truly love their children, love them even when they don't obey.  A mother's love isn't contingent on obedience, and it's frightening that you think it is.  

As for TTUAC being a "gift"- It has been found in the homes of more than one set of parents who abused and eventually killed their children.  Only the sickest of monsters would consider that book anything other than flat out dangerous.  Debi and Michael Pearl are not deities...more like devils...

Reader:

The Transformed Wife that's actually the one I've been reading and trying to implement

*In case she's reading here*-

From one mama to another, honey, you need to throw this book away and NEVER look back.  You have clearly got something going on...maybe even some PPD.  You DO NOT need an instruction manual on beating your precious children.  The fact that you are openly admitting that it's a struggle to love them, shows me that you are in a bad place.  Get help.  Don't even consider raising a hand to them.  This book is very dangerous in your hands.  

Lori is 100% unqualified to help you.  She hit her kids, she hit her husband, and she is going to advise you towards violence as well.   She is not intelligent enough to understand anything else....when she's not happy, she hits.  That is NOT what you want for your babies.  They deserve better.  They deserve to feel loved by mom, and know they are safe with her.  Again, PLEASE reach out to someone who is qualified to help you.

The Transformed Wife but still struggling in application

Again, TTUAC is a child abuse manual, pure and simple.  You don't want to apply anything you find in that book.

Let me take it a step further- to really love those babies, you need to get their mama help.  Do whatever you have to do to reach out to people who are qualified to help.  Lori Alexander IS NOT THAT PERSON.  Reach out to a medical professional....

The Transformed Wife do yo have anything on homeschooling

No.  Lori has nothing to offer, because she relied heavily on the school system (both public and private).  Her "homeschooling" was for a very short period, and extremely limited.  She essentially sent her kids to their rooms and told them to read a bit.  She knows NOTHING about homeschooling.

That said, you don't need to homeschool right now, even if it's your long term goal.  Send those babies to school, and spend that time getting yourself to a good place.  If you are struggling to love them, having them underfoot 24 hours a day, while binge reading TTUAC is not a good idea.  

Homeschooling does not = godly.  It's simply a choice.  For your family (right now) it's clear that another choice would be better.  Don't allow people like Lori to box you in.  She will take away all of your options, while she goes merrily along, doing whatever she wants.  

Sorry guys- I know a lot of Lori's readers also read here, so I had to say something.  This situation sounds very dangerous to me...

Wow, so a mother's love IS NOT unconditional. Its conditional based upon obedience. 

5 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Wow, so a mother's love IS NOT unconditional. Its conditional based upon obedience. 

I really have come to believe Lori is totally incapable of love. 

She doesn't understand what it is, so how could it be unconditional? 

My childhood was food-insecure at times, but I never thought of us as "poor".  We may have had to stretch funds and food stamps and had days where all we had was government surplus milk and cheese to eat, but we had shoes, we had clothes, we had a place to sleep.  I knew kids who did not.  Our standard for "rich" was if you ate Kraft macaroni and cheese from a box.  (that was rich people food in our world).

I was the first person in my family to graduate from college.  I paid for it myself (mix of scholarship, loans, and work).  I put myself through grad school, too.  I realize I was fortunate enough to be able to do that.  

My great grandparents were deaf and mute and escaped Germany just before the Nazi's were in control.  They had nothing but determination.  My grandmother grew up in a shack with a dirt floor.  My dad entered the military and later worked in an-often temporarily-closed until completely shut down Steel Mill.   And yet, I am blessed to have a family where hard work and help making good choices has resulted in improvement for the status of my family.  Not everyone gets such opportunities or the support needed to not only take advantage of opportunities but succeed.  It's impossible to be motivated to work harder and harder for less and never get ahead. 

My family lineage is made up of hard working peasant women.  I know of not a single one who was a stay at home mother.  My grandmother was a riveter in WWII and worked second shift in a diner while my grandfather was deployed in the Pacific Fleet.  But my great-grandmother who could neither hear nor speak is the source of courage and strength.  She worked countless jobs (and no good paying ones where available) to raise her 7 children in a dirt-floor shack in the United States.

This is what I find so incredibly heartbreaking.  Lori is telling these women to work harder and harder for less and less. This, as much as anything else, is what makes her message that of a cult.  I look at my heritage and what we have come from and it has informed my choice - my choice to not have children (I am infertile, but we actively chose not to adopt), but instead try to help others.  And here's the thing:  helping others is trying to meet other's needs on their terms - not my own.

I apologize for my thoughts being all over the place.  @usmcmom I am so sorry for your loss. (there was someone else too - my apologies for forgetting).  I've just waded through the thread after missing a couple of weeks.  (my MIL passed away on Mother's Day and we have been away dealing with everything).  

@EowynW - hopefully there is something right around the corner for you - hang in there.  You are so worth more!

@feministxtian - congrats on the job - and especially the Bennies.  I hope that it eases burdens you have had for too long.

Anyway, thanks to everyone here, and indulging my babble.  I love how FJ really feels like a community.

3 hours ago, delphinium65 said:

You said it much better than I could have, thank you!  :)  

I think her 'ministry' to the disadvantaged allows her to feel superior to them, while appearing  to 'help,' although now that you mention it, she may very well have been rejected by the other wives you mention.  If she tried to tell them how to live...yeah, I could see them telling her where she can stick it.  I think everyone involved would be happier if Lori found some kind of hobby or activity to enjoy!  

I think you’re right. They might listen to her rant about organic food but that’s about all. Her disdain towards higher education will get her cut off from any conversation since they value that. 

1 hour ago, Hane said:

It doesn't even have to be chaotic or dickensian.  There's also a very different attitude/speech pattern that comes from being from a poor neighborhood. I feel privileged that I had some opportunity and decent parents, but there's a herd mentality to being "poor" in that you don't want to get too educated or talk different (snobby) or be "too smart." Being sent across town to a school in a different socioeconomic area is good - better education. But it's also harmful in that you don't have a social group at all. Kid in your neighborhood will beat you for being too good, and kids at the school don't want to hang out / aren't allowed to hang out / it's inconvenient. All of these things make life harder than it has to be for people. Lori's judgement on what people should and shouldn't be doing are unnecessary. What a good person does is accept people differences, embrace them. Celebrate differences and be kind and supportive. 

11 minutes ago, AuntKrazy said:

My childhood was food-insecure at times, but I never thought of us as "poor".  We may have had to stretch funds and food stamps and had days where all we had was government surplus milk and cheese to eat, but we had shoes, we had clothes, we had a place to sleep.  I knew kids who did not.  Our standard for "rich" was if you ate Kraft macaroni and cheese from a box.  (that was rich people food in our world).

I was the first person in my family to graduate from college.  I paid for it myself (mix of scholarship, loans, and work).  I put myself through grad school, too.  I realize I was fortunate enough to be able to do that.  

My great grandparents were deaf and mute and escaped Germany just before the Nazi's were in control.  They had nothing but determination.  My grandmother grew up in a shack with a dirt floor.  My dad entered the military and later worked in an-often temporarily-closed until completely shut down Steel Mill.   And yet, I am blessed to have a family where hard work and help making good choices has resulted in improvement for the status of my family.  Not everyone gets such opportunities or the support needed to not only take advantage of opportunities but succeed.  It's impossible to be motivated to work harder and harder for less and never get ahead. 

My family lineage is made up of hard working peasant women.  I know of not a single one who was a stay at home mother.  My grandmother was a riveter in WWII and worked second shift in a diner while my grandfather was deployed in the Pacific Fleet.  But my great-grandmother who could neither hear nor speak is the source of courage and strength.  She worked countless jobs (and no good paying ones where available) to raise her 7 children in a dirt-floor shack in the United States.

This is what I find so incredibly heartbreaking.  Lori is telling these women to work harder and harder for less and less. This, as much as anything else, is what makes her message that of a cult.  I look at my heritage and what we have come from and it has informed my choice - my choice to not have children (I am infertile, but we actively chose not to adopt), but instead try to help others.  And here's the thing:  helping others is trying to meet other's needs on their terms - not my own.

I apologize for my thoughts being all over the place.  @usmcmom I am so sorry for your loss. (there was someone else too - my apologies for forgetting).  I've just waded through the thread after missing a couple of weeks.  (my MIL passed away on Mother's Day and we have been away dealing with everything).  

@EowynW - hopefully there is something right around the corner for you - hang in there.  You are so worth more!

@feministxtian - congrats on the job - and especially the Bennies.  I hope that it eases burdens you have had for too long.

Anyway, thanks to everyone here, and indulging my babble.  I love how FJ really feels like a community.

I was trying to get out of poverty too by going to college and followed a church similar to what Lori teaches and met my husband. He makes a decent living. So I do find some merit in what she teaches because it’s what brought me to where I am. But the older I get and longer I’m married the more I start to question her. I look around at the other stay at home wives in my neighborhood and they have long lasting strong marriages and aren’t rushing to rub their husband’s feet. All have some form of college education and a small number of kids. 

Good on you for getting out of that. It feels good to have that upbringing and getting out. I’m the first to get a degree also. My family line isn’t as bad as yours. My grandma was Chinese and couldn’t speak English but my Air Force grandfather married her anyways. She stayed home they stayed married and never divorced. My mom works as a housekeeper for a hotel but that’s because she doesn’t have a choice. Her mom worked even though she’s been married several times to different levels of successful men. My great grandma stayed home and was married to one man her whole life. 

I do believe hard work but more importantly work on myself as a person is what brought me out of that. Personally 

40 minutes ago, Koala said:

I'm honestly struggling with loving my kids right now... do you have anything on how to train and discipline in love? And stay consistent

Lori replies:

It's difficult to love your children if they aren't disciplined properly and aren't obeying you. I encourage you to buy the book To Train Up a Child and learn how to love and discipline your children. It's a gift you give them!

And Ken doesn't understand why Lori is so dangerous. 

This, Ken. This is why.

This woman is desperately in need of professional help, and she's getting the classic "hit harder" advice from a half-baked abuser. 

I second Koala's advice to this woman and highly recommend Jane Nelsen's book "Positive Discipline" if you want to discipline in love. You won't get "instant obedience," perhaps, but you'll develop a deep understanding and strong bond with your children as well as kids who seek to make good choices rather than just "not get hit." 

5 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

It doesn't even have to be chaotic or dickensian.  There's also a very different attitude/speech pattern that comes from being from a poor neighborhood. I feel privileged that I had some opportunity and decent parents, but there's a herd mentality to being "poor" in that you don't want to get too educated or talk different (snobby) or be "too smart." Being sent across town to a school in a different socioeconomic area is good - better education. But it's also harmful in that you don't have a social group at all. Kid in your neighborhood will beat you for being too good, and kids at the school don't want to hang out / aren't allowed to hang out / it's inconvenient. All of these things make life harder than it has to be for people. Lori's judgement on what people should and shouldn't be doing are unnecessary. What a good person does is accept people differences, embrace them. Celebrate differences and be kind and supportive. 

We always invite those kids who have less means over our house. That’s something I didn’t even teach my sons to do they just do it and we welcome their friends. We do have to travel way out of our way at times but we do have a system where we take turns with the other families. My kids certainly don’t make fun of them I would be mad if they did

25 minutes ago, Hane said:

Man I hate people like that! I studied hard, "pulled myself up by my bootstraps", made mistakes that I learned from, TRIED to live a responsible life. BUT...life kicked us in the teeth. I went from a 60k/yr job to living in an SUV and my husband in a shelter. I went from the big, comfortable house to a shitty little apartment in a shitty neighborhood. 

What's wrong with "THOSE" people? Life kicked them in the teeth. And, many folks just give up. People like that have no idea how hard it is to apply for job after job and have your resume end up in the ether of cyberspace. They have no idea what it's like to go from the nice house in the nice neighborhood with two new cars in the driveway to praying your car passes smog and having to scrape up the 20 bucks to get it done, because you KNOW you don't have the money to fix it. Or, driving around with dead license plates because you can't afford to pay the registration fees. 

My husband and I both have college degrees, but that has not been a guarantee of anything. The recession hit his industry hard, and we are still trying to recover from some of the ways that affected us. Our kids have grown up with a great deal of money anxiety. My son has a good-paying professional job, but the first time he traveled with colleagues, they were amused because he didn't know how to navigate an airport--because we could never take our kids anywhere. He felt "less than" in the eyes of his co-workers. 

It sometimes costs more money to not have money. My husband and I are pretty much living paycheck to paycheck. He needs a medication refill, and we can't afford it until he gets paid on Friday--but Friday his new health insurance plan goes into effect, and these meds are covered under the new insurance only with a new doctor appointment. So he will have to pay the co-pays to go see two different doctors next week. It will cost $75 plus the $60 for the meds (plus using his PTO for appointments rather than a true day off), all because we don't have the $60 to spend today or tomorrow. If we had the money now, he would be able to hold off until he has his next regular appointments (which he will still have to keep because they don't like to do med checks too early). When you're already living paycheck to paycheck, that extra $75 makes a big difference. (Sorry for the vent. This is all ticking me off today.) When you don't have money, everything's about money.

@AuntKrazy I love your comment at the end about how FJ feels like a community. I was thinking that as I read your posts and reflected over some recent posts by members here. We all have different stories and different beliefs yet we are united by our commononalities- rich histories, stories of tenacity and perseverance, resilience, and a genuine love for others and awareness that we all have a story. We came together out of dislike of Lori’s teachings and views and ways of treating others but that isn’t what unites us- and to me, that’s a beautiful thing. I’m pretty certain I could sit down with any one of you over a cup of coffee, glass of wine, or a beer and enjoy the fellowship. 

3 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I'm not really angry at her at all.

I am. Lori makes me rage like no other, she is my number one smitee.

1 hour ago, AuntKrazy said:

I love how FJ really feels like a community.

Yes it does.

2 hours ago, Koala said:

No, Lori.  Parents who truly love their children, love them even when they don't obey.  A mother's love isn't contingent on obedience, and it's frightening that you think it is.  

Totally, totally fucked up. Lori wouldn't know love if it hit her in the head with a baseball bat. Does she really believe that her way of thinking is normal? I daresay that most of us don't need to be "taught" how to love our husbands or children. Sick.

21 hours ago, SuperNova said:

That sounds like a cool business! I have an old wood cased Nishijin Super DX in my living room. No one really knows what it is when they first see it. 

I'm not sure if it's ok to post our website on here or not, if you want to look up information about them.  Is there a way to message you with it so that I don't violate the rules?  They really are fun.

7 hours ago, Hisey said:

I have never heard of the words "Christian" and "business" being used together, and implying that means it's a good thing. That is totally new to me.

Maybe I don't understand it correctly, but doesn't it imply that all the "others" (Jews, Hindus, etc) do not run things as well, or as honestly, or as efficiently? (or whatever the phrase implies?)

Honestly just trying to understand here.

There are more business in the Tulsa, OK area that have the word "Christian" in their title or advertising than I can count!  I always have thought that Christians are not supposed to use God to advertise themselves or sell things, and that goes triple for politicians.  I expect that it's similar to other faith believers.  Not all of them, obviously, but the ones I have dealt with don't seem to really live what they claim to be.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived