IGNORED

Canadian Couple Who Killed Son By Medical Neglect Get a New Trial

Terrie

So the Stephens family killed their son Ezekiel by using bogus "medicine" made by the family's nutritional supplement company instead of getting real medical care for their son's meningitis. Ezekiel was only 18 months old when he died. They didn't contact an actual doctor util their son stopped breathing. The parents will now get a new trial. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/collet-david-stephan-supreme-court-squash-convictions-toddler-son-meningitis-death-1.4663483

It's all on technical errors, so hopefully they will be found guilty again. They deserve to rot in jail. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 10
  • Thank You 1

It's too bad their sentences couldn't be up'd for wasting time with this bullshit! I hate these people, I don't hate many but god I hate them! 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

These two obviously don't feel they did anything wrong, a nurse told them she suspected meningitis, most people hearing that would have rushed straight to the hospital and made sure it was checked out. I'm all for natural remedies for colds and minor illnesses, not life threatening conditions. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

• 1 year later...

From the articles I’ve read, the parents don’t seem troubled by the death of their son but want to move on with their lives. This is an insanely depressing story and outcome. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Sad 7
  • WTF 1

That is one of the most extreme cases of a miscarriage of justice that I've ever seen.  The judge came across as being extremely biased.  That poor child.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 5

This travesty happened not too far from where I live. Looking at their smirking faces stepping out of the courtroom makes me very, very concerned for their other kids. I guess as long as their brand of woo’s reputation is unharmed, all is good. Btw good job on throwing the paramedics under the bus. 

No way can this ruling be accepted. Those so-called parents did not have the poor kid’s health and well-being as their first priority. There are pockets of weirdos in Alberts who diss medical services. Public health services are not perfect but still able to offer real help to those who need it. 

https://nationalpost.com/news/alberta-couples-acquittal-in-death-of-son-raises-questions-over-parental-duties-and-responsibilities

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

What this is horrible and what deterrent is it to other parent's or carer's who refuse to seek medical treatment. They knew the child had suspected meningitis and ignored medical professionals when they didn't seek treatment for him. They waited until it was far too late to save him before going back. Even with quick treatment meningitis still kills or causes other life long health issues. Poor baby never stood a chance and his parent's don't even seem to feel remorse for failing to pretext him.

• Sad 9

This is bloody awful! Meningitis is a horrible disease and the only way anyone would survive is proper medical treatment given as soon as possible. A wee boy in my town got it when I was a teenager. He was my classmate's little brother and she was off school for two weeks because she was distressed by what happened to him. Thankfully, he made a full recovery due to his parents taking him straight to casualty when he became ill but he was still lucky; a few children still don't make it even with treatment.

No way should they get their kids back or get out of jail. The poor little boy must have suffered horribly. What happens if another child becomes ill or develops a condition like diabetes. Prayers won't work and neither will "alternative" treatments.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

• 1 year later...
  • Coconut Flan changed the title to Canadian Couple Who Killed Son By Medical Neglect Get a New Trial
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 7:15 PM, TeaGrannie said:

They are back in the news again. The court has overturned the acquittals. 
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/david-collet-stephan-appeal-decision-toddler-1.5941209

I missed this update - thanks! Any holy cow, the judge in the second case seemed to throw it out because the Nigerian doctor who testified had an accent? WTF. Someone should not be a judge.

• Upvote 2