IGNORED

I am a Mormon!

FundiesInMyFamily

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Generally my entire life reminds me of this campaign on some days! "Yes, I go to church with my entire extended family, even though the church hates me. Its because I love my family and our traditions. I can't wait to have kids, and I'm a firm believer in family values- that kids need good role models, and that families are a building block of society. Oh- and I'm a lesbian! :) *smile with good teeth.*"

Kelya, my husband and I have discussed the need for a reality show featuring gay families. He actually used to be against gay marriage before we were together. I think his only real exposure to gays was with the more promiscuous gay community where he grew up (in the SF bay area) and he just did not *get it*. I don't think he was really against it so much as he just did not equate gay with longterm commitment.

My immediate family includes a few gay families that are ultra-traditional in every way except the gender of the couples. It is hard to know a committed gay/lesbian couple and not have a serious paradigm shift. That's why the far right does not want openly gay people in the military or Heather Has Two Mommies in kindergartens; it humanizes gays and forces the public to see them as they are. Heaven forbid!

I guess that is what the Mormons are trying to do.

I saw an ad for a few minutes, I thought it was going to end with I'm a Mormon but it ended with I'm a Target Pharmacist. It was about being a cold fighter, etc.

I don't think I've seen any of these Mormon commercials. I've seen some Scientology ones though and those were very well produced as well.

I don't think I've seen any of these Mormon commercials. I've seen some Scientology ones though and those were very well produced as well.

No Scientology ones here, at least that I've seen.

Saw a commercial here earlier today. It had an Italian guy with a wife and several kids and also a black lady teacher teaching a small group of black kids. Are they trying to show how "inclusive" they are?

Saw a commercial here earlier today. It had an Italian guy with a wife and several kids and also a black lady teacher teaching a small group of black kids. Are they trying to show how "inclusive" they are?

Probably, I haven't been Mormon for years but growing up I specifically remember the clear (yet unsaid) that "we" did not have "those" in the church.

I also recall my parents talking about the prophet now saying black people could be member of the church, this was years and years ago. My parents claimed they were not racist but I was taught that people with dark skin had sinned, long haired men were all evil, and, trust no one outside our church.

ETA: I remember in grade school I was finally allowed to have a non mormon friend over after school, we had so much fun and all I could talk about at dinner was having her over again or going to her house, my dad looked up over his glasses and said "look, I don't have anything against her but, you need to understand something, the black sheep stay with the black sheep and the white sheep stay with the white sheep". I was devastated :cry:

These have popped up on YouTube for me as well, but at least that makes sense .... since I was watching anti-Scientology documentaries. :P

Archived