IGNORED

Here we go again: 10 children neglected and abused, parents arrested in California

feministxtian

22 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

It took them 6wks of interviewing the children to decide to remove them and arrest the parents? 

10kids in 11yrs, and the parents were 17 when they had the first.

I saw the article on a news page but I have not had time to read it yet.  What is wrong with people?

9 minutes ago, Briefly said:

What is wrong with people?

I have no idea...at all. 

3 hours ago, Briefly said:

What is wrong with people?

Everything.

This is what I mutter, the Q and the A, all day long as I read the internet.

Yes, those poor kids.

I hate when "parents" like these people say they are being judged for "homeschooling". They aren't homeschooling, they are keeping their children home from school to hide the abuse, and that is a big difference. Why can't they see that they are being judged for being crummy parents? 

13 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

It took them 6wks of interviewing the children to decide to remove them and arrest the parents? 

10kids in 11yrs, and the parents were 17 when they had the first.

i think they removed them first and have been interviewing them after. i don't think they would leave them in the squalor that was found. i hope i'm right...

So they were teen parents and had a child every year for ten years. Yeah that’s not going to be a good situation. I’m not saying it’s an excuse for the abuse. I’m just saying that even in the best of circumstances that’s going to be a difficult family situation. 

Already trying to use the homeschool defense. Via NPR:
“She also told ABC 7 News that she was being judged for homeschooling her children. Neighbors said they never saw or heard the children — eight of whom are reported to be Allen's biologically.”

Grandma seems to be pinning it all on the father. And I’m always skeptical of reports of Satan worship being connected to abuse or murder. I’m sure there was abuse, I’m just skeptical about the whole Satan worship thing. 

Why does this seem to be a trend now? Not to romanticize "the old days" but I really don't remember seeing all of these "house of horror" stories that are coming across our news feed lately.  Maybe families are more isolated? A lack of connection with extended family members?  How can the abuse go on for years before anyone notices or reports it? So sad for the children. 

1 minute ago, Starrynight said:

Why does this seem to be a trend now? Not to romanticize "the old days" but I really don't remember seeing all of these "house of horror" stories that are coming across our news feed lately.  Maybe families are more isolated? A lack of connection with extended family members?  How can the abuse go on for years before anyone notices or reports it? So sad for the children. 

I think the cases existed but were not as widely reported. Nowadays it is almost impossible to really fly under the radar. 

1 minute ago, seattlechic said:

and the mother is up in arms about it... hmmmm,,,,

Mom's defense..."There's no broken bones. There is no major scars, nothing," Rogers told reporters in front of her house. That's pretty lame. 

1 minute ago, seattlechic said:

I think the cases existed but were not as widely reported. Nowadays it is almost impossible to really fly under the radar. 

You are probably right. 

These people are fkd up. The whole satanic thing is -I think- bullshit. I don't like grandma either. 

3 minutes ago, Starrynight said:

People were expected to abuse their kids back in the day - made them 'behave'.   Children were to be seen and not heard.   Growing up, there was always a parent taking a kid in another room to blister their butts or whatever.  Teachers beat kids - once our teacher had just had it - made everyone stand up and bend over their desks and smacked us all with the paddle a few times.   Imagine that now.   It was seen as good parenting.  Adulting.   My parents were always praised for having such well behaved kids.   Everyone got fed though, because you can't work kids 10-12 hours  a day and not feed them.   I mean, there is just common sense! (sarcasm)    Of course there were still horror stories, but there wasn't the 24/7 news there is now.   

12 minutes ago, Starrynight said:

How can the abuse go on for years before anyone notices or reports it? So sad for the children. 

I'm gonna level with you......I wondered this from a very young age. My mother (I use that term very loosely) was extremely abusive. So abusive to the point that when I was in 7th grade she had to pull me out of school because she kept bruising me & she was afraid she was going to get caught. The things she did to me were unimaginable & I will never ever forgive her for that. I used to lay in bed at night crying wondering why none of our neighbors ever tried to rescue me? Before she'd start the abuse she would get this demonic look on her face, go around the house shutting all the windows (so no one could hear) and I knew that I was in for it. For years I begged God to make it stop and He didn't. I didn't escape until I snuck out in the middle of the night at the age of 24. I hate that woman with every fiber of my being. I want so badly to write her a letter and tell her exactly how I feel about her and what she did to me all those years but I doubt that would do any good. I get so so angry when I read stories like this. People like this are scumbags and deserve to be tortured. I am so glad those poor children were finally rescued. People suck. They really do.  

When a story comes out that captivates the attention of the whole country (like the Turpins), any story even the slightest bit similar after that will be highly publicized. It seemed like for awhile there was a huge focus on women escaping long term kidnapping in the media. Elizabeth Smart, Jaycee Dugard, the three women in Cleveland all because Elizabeth’s return was a huge story everyone followed. So when anything similar to that happened after that, it was big in the news. 

I think that’s what is happening now. I think there has always been lots of cases of large families with abuse. It just hasn’t been as highly publicized. 

Archived