IGNORED

Oregon school punished a queer student by making them read the Bible

lilwriter85

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/05/oregon-school-punished-queer-student-making-read-bible/

snippet

By Alex Bollinger ·

Friday, May 11, 2018

A public school district in southwestern Oregon has come under investigation by the state for several instances of discrimination against LGBTQ students.

The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) opened an investigation into a complaint that the North Bend School District did nothing to stop anti-LGBTQ harassment, retaliated against people who complained, and even punished a student by making them read the Bible.

Isn't that one of the things that the separation of church and state are to prevent, forcing religion on students? Beside the fact that they are wrong to punish the student for being gay. But if I were the parent and that was my child, that would be the angle I'd use in my complaint.

What kind of fuckery is going on up there? I hope this nonsensical blending of church and state in compulsory schooling comes to a quick end with the ongoing investigations. 

Read the entire article linked by @lilwriter85There's something wrong in that school system, like systemic discrimination and retaliation.  It seems fairly blatant. 

I know the area.  Redneck with a fair amount of generational poverty after most of the lumber mills closed and the fishing began being controlled.  It's changing a bit as the hipsters move in.  I have friends who moved their family out of there because their children's education was so poor.  They moved, temporarily, to a larger city with better schools.  Seven years later, after all the kids had graduated high school, she and her husband moved back.  Now gentrification is slowly seeping in.

Archived