IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Who talks about how rotten their kids are on social media?

2. I bet the oldest kids did not get to be “rotten to the core.” I know she’s probably exaggerating and trying to be cute or relatable but the lack of consistency is screamingly obvious and the other kids must see this. I would be livid if I were Michaela/Zach/Erin.

8 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

2. I bet the oldest kids did not get to be “rotten to the core.” I know she’s probably exaggerating and trying to be cute or relatable but the lack of consistency is screamingly obvious and the other kids must see this. I would be livid if I were Michaela/Zach/Erin

I agree, she doesn’t seem to know appropriate adjectives that are also terms of endearment  for her boys.  Scoundrels, scamps, rascals, little troublemakers all sound better than rotten to the core. That sounds so harsh.

They are really cute boys, Judson looks like Lawson and Jeb looks like Trace to me.

I think she probably means that they're spoiled rotten. But if that's what you mean, woman, then SAY IT. I agree that saying your kids are rotten sounds absolutely horrible.

7 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

I agree, she doesn’t seem to know appropriate adjectives that are also terms of endearment  for her boys.  Scoundrels, scamps, rascals, little troublemakers all sound better than rotten to the core. That sounds so harsh.

They are really cute boys, Judson looks like Lawson and Jeb looks like Trace to me.

They are cute.Judson looks like Zach to me and Jeb looks like Lawson to me.

I saw that post and was astounded enough by it to comment here :) It was just such a bizarre post by them, and that's saying something. Why is she saying rotten 4 times?! 

I actually think it was affectionate.  Like weird. But meant to be affectionate.  

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

I think she probably means that they're spoiled rotten. But if that's what you mean, woman, then SAY IT. I agree that saying your kids are rotten sounds absolutely horrible.

I don't think she means spoiled rotten but more like hooligans or troublemakers or rambunctious.

I live in the Midwest and I’ve noticed in the more rural areas that when you give a parent a compliment about their kid (ex “she’s adorable!”) the response is usually “yeah but she’s rotten!”. I’ve only lived here a few years so at first I was confused about the response but I guess I’ve gotten used to it. It still seems odd to me though to make a positive statement into something negative, but it seems to be a thing. 

31 minutes ago, mstee said:

I live in the Midwest and I’ve noticed in the more rural areas that when you give a parent a compliment about their kid (ex “she’s adorable!”) the response is usually “yeah but she’s rotten!”. I’ve only lived here a few years so at first I was confused about the response but I guess I’ve gotten used to it. It still seems odd to me though to make a positive statement into something negative, but it seems to be a thing. 

Was about to say that the caption didn't stick out to me much because everyone I've ever talked to has used the term "rotten to the core" as a term of endearment for a rather spunky child.

Kelly was trying to sound funny.

I actually think that the comment is acceptable. Kelly spoils these two, she seems to enjoy they being naughty. 

I know a lot of (good, involved)  parents that call their kids little monsters or similar. I suppose it depends on the tone and the intention.

At least Jeb and Judson are not being terribly beaten/brainwashed like the elders, nor are forgotten like the middle kids.

24 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I know a lot of (good, involved)  parents that call their kids little monsters or similar. I suppose it depends on the tone and the intention.

I used to refer to my boys as Damien and Lucifer, the Omen twins...they were umm...challenging...when they were little. Y'all all know that I love my kids to the moon and beyond...but I get that two little boys can cause all kinds of mischief in seconds of inattention. 

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

I used to refer to my boys as Damien and Lucifer, the Omen twins...they were umm...challenging...when they were little. Y'all all know that I love my kids to the moon and beyond...but I get that two little boys can cause all kinds of mischief in seconds of inattention. 

Absolutely. I had a couple of kids who were similar, I don’t see anything wrong with her phrasing. I love ALL my kids, and grandkids, to death, but some for sure are a handful. 

49 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

Absolutely. I had a couple of kids who were similar, I don’t see anything wrong with her phrasing. I love ALL my kids, and grandkids, to death, but some for sure are a handful. 

Ain't that the truth! I used to think up really goofy things just to keep my sanity when my boys were little...including planning the "perfect murder"...use the little one to beat the big one to death and call it sibling rivalry***. It kept me relatively sane on those days when I had to chase them off the top of the swing set, the roof of the garage, the tops of bookcases, listening to them watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons and quoting dialog from it, seeing little butts trying to squeeze in the pantry hundreds of times a day...you know, life with boys. 

I would literally die for my trio of offspring and my grandkids. But there were times when I didn't think I'd make it until they grew up...they knew then and now how to push every damn button and pluck my last nerve. 

***to reiterate...I would NEVER actually do anything like that but it damn sure kept me sane on the days when the boys would fight for the sole reason that the other one existed, or was sharing the same air. 

I agree, I don't see anything wrong with the wording, it sounds affectionate to me...I call my son "brat" sometimes, but always with the utmost love, lol

I also agree, though, that the oldest ones probably didn't get that same chance. 

The only issue I have with that post other than the appalling double standard in how she treats her youngest two kids versus the eldest kids, is the horrible! abuse! of! exclamation!! points!!! #exclamationpointabuseisreal #yoursotdrtisshowing #jesuslovesthemall

11 hours ago, JillyO said:

I actually read it as they are sinful, broken, and evil. Rotten in the sense that in their very being that are wretched and deserving of God’s wrath. Although given she didn’t follow up with Jesus I’m not sure.

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

The only issue I have with that post other than the appalling double standard in how she treats her youngest two kids versus the eldest kids, is the horrible! abuse! of! exclamation!! points!!! #exclamationpointabuseisreal #yoursotdrtisshowing #jesuslovesthemall

While I believe all parents treat their younger children different than the older (personality, development, experience...) their case is kind of extrem due to their abhorrent child training ideas. 

The saddest thing is that I believe young girls (Callie for example) will still face their old standards at one point, while the boys might be easy off way into young adult territory. Kind of like Joy who grew up more relaxed than her sisters but that quickly changed as she reached her teenage years.

But if they stop using even a few parts of the Enzo or Pearl parenting guides I am VERY happy for those children.

55 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

While I believe all parents treat their younger children different than the older (personality, development, experience...) their case is kind of extrem due to their abhorrent child training ideas. 

The saddest thing is that I believe young girls (Callie for example) will still face their old standards at one point, while the boys might be easy off way into young adult territory. Kind of like Joy who grew up more relaxed than her sisters but that quickly changed as she reached her teenage years.

But if they stop using even a few parts of the Enzo or Pearl parenting guides I am VERY happy for those children.

I agree Callie soon will be "volunteering" to cook, teach Judson and Jed or whatever thing Gil and Kelly need her to do so they won't have too. If she's not already now with Carlin and Josie courting and marrying soon. That leave Katie, Addie, Ellie and Callie to take over their sisters' duties. 

I don't have an issue with parents being truthful about their little troublemakers. That being said, I doubt Zach or Lawson had time to get into trouble. Michael, Erin, and Alyssa sure didn't have time to be troublemakers, they were raising Kelly's kids. Where was Kelly? Oh maybe home or gone off on a romantic weekend with Gil. :562479528aee8_32(4):

On 6/8/2018 at 2:43 AM, neurogirl said:

1. Who talks about how rotten their kids are on social media?

2. I bet the oldest kids did not get to be “rotten to the core.” I know she’s probably exaggerating and trying to be cute or relatable but the lack of consistency is screamingly obvious and the other kids must see this. I would be livid if I were Michaela/Zach/Erin.

Of course the elder kids didn't get to be "Rotten" I would probably say from Katie up they probably had some strict childhoods they started to go skirts only when Alyssa was a baby.  then it started to ease up when the three middle boys were younger. you can see Wardan Isaiah and Jackson have a freerer hand then Zach Lawson or Nathan would have gotten. 

on many occasions Kelly and Gil have admitted that they are in Grandparent mode especially with the younger three Callie Jeb and Jud. I can see Callie pulling a Sus Keller. (Maybe not the baby part) but the boyfriends with no chaperones ect.. 

14 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Where was Kelly? Oh maybe home or gone off on a romantic weekend with Gil. :562479528aee8_32(4):

Well, all these sweet little blessings don't come by themselves and who could focus on procreation in a tiny, messy and loud house whit a shitload of kids (that are actually your own). 

Who was in charge of the middle boys and girls? Callie was obviously mothered by Michael, but I don't know about the others.

Jeb, if I recall correctly, was raised by Carlin. Maybe she spoiled him a little and let him be naughty, conversely to what Michael did as a sistermom. I don't see Carlin very strict.

Judson was Tori's baby. Tori is suposed to be very strict, but if she was studying and courting, maybe she couldn't take the time to train the kid. As Kelly and Gil were acting like non-very-involved grandpas, there was nobody left to educate the younger 2.

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Who was in charge of the middle boys and girls? Callie was obviously mothered by Michael, but I don't know about the others.

Jeb, if I recall correctly, was raised by Carlin. Maybe she spoiled him a little and let him be naughty, conversely to what Michael did as a sistermom. I don't see Carlin very strict.

Judson was Tori's baby. Tori is suposed to be very strict, but if she was studying and courting, maybe she couldn't take the time to train the kid. As Kelly and Gil were acting like non-very-involved grandpas, there was nobody left to educate the younger 2.

I don't think the Bates Kids got Sister momed in the way the Duggar's did where the sisters did everything and were super stict ect and grew to depend on them. except Callie and MIcheal but even Callie has been said to be rambunctious and have Gil wrapped around her little finger.  I think by the time Callie, Jeb and Judson came along no one from the parents to the kids gave a shit anymore and the kids were left to do what they would. I mean Jeb and Judson almost set the house on fire one night because Kelly was off I can't remember where but she wasn't home. Gil and some of the other boys had left for tree cutting. and it was just the youngst the girls and i believe Lawson who had just came back from a concert and was asleep. 

On 6/2/2018 at 10:28 PM, just_ordinary said:

There is a code? Wow! US- Americans never cease to surprise me. Who cares if a piece of cloth touches the ground? People have doormats with the pattern. 

This whole pledge and flag mentality is very fascinating but I cannot wrap my head around it on bit. For comparison: I love my country, am proud of how we developed so far (even though there are always things to do better) and would argue that we are definitely at least on of the top 5 countries to live in, but I wouldn’t pledge or wave flags or care about some code....

I think most of the countries have one. I know that for sure Finland has one. There is no pledge though. And there is a lot less "obsession" about our flag. But even for me, very unpatriotic person, it is very strongly ingrained to treat the flag according to the code.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived