IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

I almost bought tilapia a few weeks ago but didn't know how to make it....do you mind sharing how you make yours?

You might want to try soaking in milk a bit. Helps with some of the fishy taste.

Can't remember exact what how I use to prepare it all the time. But I used torn up bread, mozzarella cheese, and a garlic butter mix and cooked it the oven for an x-amount of time. Also would use some chicken recipes and use it on Tilapia with just cook time modification.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At one of my jobs, I had a co worker,and she is from a rural part of Virginia.She told me she had never eaten seafood until she went on trip to Myrtle Beach,SC.

In spite of living here in coastal SC,I know several people who do not care for any type of seafood.

25 minutes ago, melon said:

She told me she had never eaten seafood until she went on trip to Myrtle Beach,SC.

If they had never gone to the beach, I could understand. But they routinely went to the beach. How they managed to go to the beach that often and never try sea food is a mystery to me. 

I didn't like sea food even before I became a vegan, but I had tried it. I don't even like the smell of it. We went to the beach each year and always went to a sea food place. 

So they put a birthday video up of Warden skateboarding. 

Please explain to me how a teen boy in tight pants is not immodest but a teen girl in tight pants is.....

*I think tight pants are fine for people of all ages. I’m just baffled by the extreme hypocrisy.

Somewhat inspired by the recent thread drift we are having halibut for dinner. Yum! 

Easy Tilapia:

sprinkle liberally with lemon juice, shake some Old Bay on top. Pop into a 350F degree oven for about 15 minutes. 

If the Bateses went to Myrtle Beach on vacation, then it's a damn shame that they didn't either go to one of the places that serve Calabash (NC) style seafood or go down to Murrell's Inlet for seafood.  Both are legendary.  Calabash-style is like what is served just over the NC border in the hamlet of Calabash.  A lot of it is deep-fried and it's delicious.  Calabash places tend to be all-you-can-eat family style so they're good for families on a budget.  I still recall when we went to Calabash about 50 years ago and I got deviled crab because it seemed interesting and exotic. Seafood is one of the things I miss eating as a vegetarian.

What do we think of this new Bringing Up Bates promo? 

It gave me the impression that Josie is engaged, particularly the scene where Josie/Kelton were at an ice skating rank and he was down on one knee. I also found it very odd that CarVan didn't have any clips from the show together besides the scripted line at the end. I think it's safe to say that Josie will be married before Carlin. 

11 minutes ago, stardust said:

What do we think of this new Bringing Up Bates promo? 

It gave me the impression that Josie is engaged, particularly the scene where Josie/Kelton were at an ice skating rank and he was down on one knee. I also found it very odd that CarVan didn't have any clips from the show together besides the scripted line at the end. I think it's safe to say that Josie will be married before Carlin. 

I don't watch the show - is the scene with the pink box his courtship proposal? 

If I were betting I'd definitely say that him down on one knee at the ice rink is just him tying her skate lace for her or something. I'm sure they will be engaged soon, though (if they aren't already). I wouldn't be surprised to see Josie get married before Carlin. 

Its the courtship proposal not engagement, it was around christmas and it didnt appear on the show yet, and they even suggest it in the episode description.

1 hour ago, llucie said:

Its the courtship proposal not engagement, it was around christmas and it didnt appear on the show yet, and they even suggest it in the episode description.

There were two clips of them though. One was clearly the courtship where Kelton is holding the pink box. We know they started courting at Emerts Cove Covered Bridge in Sevierville, Tennessee around Christmastime. I was referring to the clip of them at the ice rink where he's on one knee. Like another poster said, this could've just been him typing her shoelace and UP edited it for clickbait. 

On 5/20/2018 at 10:08 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

So they put a birthday video up of Warden skateboarding. 

Please explain to me how a teen boy in tight pants is not immodest but a teen girl in tight pants is.....

*I think tight pants are fine for people of all ages. I’m just baffled by the extreme hypocrisy.

They're taught that men are turned on by sight and women are turned on by touch. So its not that important that a guy be modest because it won't cause a girl to sin. And its a load of bull as I'm betting most heterosexual and honest women would tell you after watching Chris Hemsworth dance at the end of Ghostbusters.

Isn't it interesting that the Bates do these big engagement-style courtship proposals, but the Duggars don't - they mostly end up quickly asking in closets and porches. Have we ever seen any of the Duggar couples do this style of courtship proposal?

On 18/5/2018 at 12:14 AM, Letizia said:

I just watched the wedding special and Nathan apparently has a thing for insulting brides as he was as awful to Michael as he was to Tori. It become even more obvious why Ashley dodged a bullet. He started off saying  the guys needed to go to the last dress shop because girls think they know what looks good but they don’t and they need a male opinion. Michael came out in a dress and Nathan told her it looked like his grandma’s wedding dress dress. Josie had been playing on her phone and she looked up and murdered me with her eyes.They went to a talking head where Lawson tried to tell him that you never criticize a woman's appearance. Nathan then says if a girl asks him how she looks he will be honest and say you don’t look your best and I’ve seen days where you looked much better. To which Lawson responded,”Well stay single all your life if you want.” 

The Bates in general are super rude and unapologetic, he's not the only one. 

Unpopular opinion though: I've always liked Lawson, he's most definitely not the worst of the Bateseseseses... I know everyone here hates him but Nathan is the one that always struck me as a major jerk. Ashley dodged a huge bullet.

14 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

The Bates in general are super rude and unapologetic, he's not the only one. 

Unpopular opinion though: I've always liked Lawson, he's most definitely not the worst of the Bateseseseses... I know everyone here hates him but Nathan is the one that always struck me as a major jerk. Ashley dodged a huge bullet.

Had no opinions on Nathan however, I agree that Ashley dodged a bullet.  When I heard of how the Bateseseses visited Ashley's family in NYC and were doing the "aw shucks, we are just country bumpkins" act, I didn't think that Nathan and Ashley were going to last long together.   Somehow I didn't see Ashley's family appreciating that attitude and because of his upbringing in this rude and unapologetic family, Nathan would have no idea of how to really behave with his girlfriend.   Seems he might be a bit worse than I thought if he really has a penchant for insulting people.   

On 5/20/2018 at 7:44 AM, melon said:

At one of my jobs, I had a co worker,and she is from a rural part of Virginia.She told me she had never eaten seafood until she went on trip to Myrtle Beach,SC.

In spite of living here in coastal SC,I know several people who do not care for any type of seafood.

I’ve visited coastal areas on vacation. I have had a bit of seafood as a kid but I will try to avoid eating it ever again. It’s just not for me.

3 hours ago, stardust said:

There were two clips of them though. One was clearly the courtship where Kelton is holding the pink box. We know they started courting at Emerts Cove Covered Bridge in Sevierville, Tennessee around Christmastime. I was referring to the clip of them at the ice rink where he's on one knee. Like another poster said, this could've just been him typing her shoelace and UP edited it for clickbait. 

That’s the same day as their courtship. You can tell from Josie’s outfit.

3 hours ago, freethemall said:

Isn't it interesting that the Bates do these big engagement-style courtship proposals, but the Duggars don't - they mostly end up quickly asking in closets and porches. Have we ever seen any of the Duggar couples do this style of courtship proposal?

I think the reason that the Bates end up doing these ridiculous OTT courtship proposals is because they take a longer pre-courting stage than the Duggars do and therefore it's a bigger deal when courtship happens. I feel quite bad for Evan because it'll be difficult for him to top his courtship proposal once engagement comes around. The Nathan/Ashley proposal was also very elaborate, as I expect Josie's to be as well. I usually prefer the Bates way of doing things, but in this case I like that the Duggars make courtship proposals into more of a non-event. 

4 hours ago, stardust said:

It would be very strange to show the courtship proposal and engagement proposal in the same episode, so its probably a red herring.

And about Josie marrying before Carlin, anything can happen honestly, but im more inclined to think Carlin will marry before, since she is older and has been courting for a longer time. The last thing we knew about Evan is that he left his job at the hospital, and he seems to have a new job(per Carlin comments about how hard working he was recently) ...maybe something more profitable so he can marry sooner, who knows.

If the Bateses were smart, they would push a double wedding on Carlin and Josie. But those two would never do that. I have a feeling they grew up so ignored and starved for attention from their parents that they want their very own special day focused on them for a change. And I can’t really blame them. 

I’m surprised Josie was allowed a tank top to the lake. Usually the girls are forced to roll up their short sleeves. 

62534320-199E-4D85-B351-F422D7881CE2.png

45 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If the Bateses were smart, they would push a double wedding on Carlin and Josie. But those two would never do that. I have a feeling they grew up so ignored and starved for attention from their parents that they want their very own special day focused on them for a change. And I can’t really blame them. 

It’s the one day that’s about them. If their parents even suggested it, I’d be so angry. But why “if they were smart”, money?

24 minutes ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

It’s the one day that’s about them. If their parents even suggested it, I’d be so angry. But why “if they were smart”, money?

Yes! That would be the highest rated episode they’ve ever had. 

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes! That would be the highest rated episode they’ve ever had. 

I disagree. I think people prefer watching one single couple. For them to do a double wedding, I don’t think people would see it as genuine and actually not want to watch it. 

3 minutes ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

I disagree. I think people prefer watching one single couple. For them to do a double wedding, I don’t think people would see it as genuine and actually not want to watch it. 

No way. Double weddings are incredibly rare these days. People would love to watch since it’s hardly ever done. How many single fundie weddings have people seen since the Duggars and Bateses have been on TV? Quite a few. UP would make the most of it too. They would make plenty of wedding planning episodes about disagreements and such. 

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

No way. Double weddings are incredibly rare these days. People would love to watch since it’s hardly ever done. How many single fundie weddings have people seen since the Duggars and Bateses have been on TV? Quite a few. UP would make the most of it too. They would make plenty of wedding planning episodes about disagreements and such. 

See, I don’t think people would watch because it’s weird. It moves the family into a territory that they don’t want to be seen as. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived