IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

4 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Nothing will change except more work for them because it isn't like Kelly has done much in years. 

I'm pretty shocked they have never tried seafood before. Especially since they have been to the beach a gazillion times to pose for pictures. 

I’m guessing they aren’t counting tuna sandwiches or fish sticks. 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, llucie said:

Episode 723: Seas the Day!

Now that many of the older Bates girls have moved out of the house, it’s Carlin’s turn to take on new household responsibilities, including tutoring her younger siblings. But how will the Bates kids respond to Carlin’s new rules?

Is this UPTV admitting that Kelly doesn't mother her kids, her eldest daughters do?  As for tutoring her siblings, that's even worse. That's Kelly's job.

I just watched the wedding special and Nathan apparently has a thing for insulting brides as he was as awful to Michael as he was to Tori. It become even more obvious why Ashley dodged a bullet. He started off saying  the guys needed to go to the last dress shop because girls think they know what looks good but they don’t and they need a male opinion. Michael came out in a dress and Nathan told her it looked like his grandma’s wedding dress dress. Josie had been playing on her phone and she looked up and murdered me with her eyes.They went to a talking head where Lawson tried to tell him that you never criticize a woman's appearance. Nathan then says if a girl asks him how she looks he will be honest and say you don’t look your best and I’ve seen days where you looked much better. To which Lawson responded,”Well stay single all your life if you want.” 

With this wedding episode they showed how Zach and Whitney got engaged on the beach and it looked like they only got turf and not surf.

I' also still shocked though they never tried it, would seafood be more expensive than meat? (sincerely a girl with a complete seafood allergy).

1 hour ago, Letizia said:

Nathan then says if a girl asks him how she looks he will be honest and say you don’t look your best and I’ve seen days where you looked much better. To which Lawson responded,”Well stay single all your life if you want.” 

I...agree with Lawson?

Off to the prayer closet.

Why do those episode descriptions sound like they are slightly less conservative Moody books? All they need is a segment about burrito making but with beef. 

3 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

I' also still shocked though they never tried it, would seafood be more expensive than meat? (sincerely a girl with a complete seafood allergy).

Not sure about seafood price in US, but real seafood (no frozen fish sticks) tends to be related to healthy diets. I simply can't imagine Bates making grilled salmon or a cod casserole. Not only because the money or the time, but because they don't seem to be used to natural food flavour. Their diet in early episodes was awful and unhealthy.

I thought the no seafood thing had something to do with the old testament saying something about not eating shellfish, (at least, that was the Duggars' argument for not eating shellfish), but I now realize that I'm confusing seafood with sea fruit
Where I live, fish is more expensive than meat. Frozen fish (not the fishstick type but frozen salmon fillet for instance) is cheaper than fresh fish, but it's still more expensive than family packs of chicken, hamburgers, or groundbeef. So when you're on a budget and you've got a lot of mouths to feed, eating healthy kinds of fish (so not fishsticks) might not really be an option. 

I just looked up the price of cheap, frozen salmon fillets. The cheap option here (Netherlands) would be around 2,39 euro for two small pieces of salmon. So you'd be spending more than 23 euro's on salmon alone if you want to have enough for 20 people. And then you'd still need veggies and something like rice/potatoes/pasta to make a complete meal, so it would really not be a cheap dinner option.

I do not know how the availiability of sea food is in eastern Tennessee, but I would guess not the greatest? Being that seafood tend to be somewhat an aquired taste, it makes sense to not order it on a special occasion were everything is supposed to be perfect. 

But they never, during any of the times they went to the beach, tried sea food? All the beaches I have been to are crawling with sea food places and you have to go out of your way to get non-sea food. 

You can always find cheap fish such as tilapia and I love tilapia. I always have fillets in the freezer. I think the Bates are of the same mindset as the Duggars. Spaghetti sauce out of a can, mashed potatoes and Mac and cheese out of a box. These people have probably never peeled a potato or shredded their own cheese. I also think when you have such large families, you make food stretches your dollar and is filling. I would bet their diet is thin on fruits and vegetables because of cost. Hell, I just paid almost a dollar for a pear that was screaming to go home with me. No way are they buying 20 of them. 

I call bullshit on the idea that none of the Bates children have ever eaten a shrimp.

Esp. when they visit Alyssa and fam in Florida.

Also, trout (including hatchery raised) is common in their area. And even the Cracker Barrel in their hometown (Rocky Top) serves shrimp.

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

But they never, during any of the times they went to the beach, tried sea food? All the beaches I have been to are crawling with sea food places and you have to go out of your way to get non-sea food. 

Definitely.  Mr. No and I just came back from a beach vacation on the Atlantic side of Florida and there's seafood places everywhere.   Mr. No, who loves his cheeseburgers, went an entire week without any turf, it was all surf.

Not to mention you can get a variety of local fish that you won't typically find in the grocer's freezers.    I dined on mullet, cobia and grouper during this last trip.

Can we paused on how they've never met Mama Jayne's family, too? All these years Gil and Kelly never grifted from them? 

The episode description talks about Carlin taking engagement photos. If they aren't engaged, how can they take engagement photos? I thought that engagement photos were taken shortly after the engagement as a way to announce with a nice picture. Or am I mistaken?

Regarding the food:

When I was young, my family did go on vacations, but very inexpensively. We'd pack our lunch in Dad's old Army backpack and eat along the way, things like Triscuits, Wheat Thins, tinned sardines, Vienna Sausages, smoked oysters, the fruit that came in the little individual serving containers, and snack pack pudding, which were always treats we saved for vacation. Before we started camping, we'd eat supper out; afterwards, Dad cooked supper (with a helper), while Mom (and a helper) did dishes afterwards. I can see the Bates family going to the beach, but taking along peanut butter and bread and feeding everyone peanut butter sandwiches, instead of eating out. 

28 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

The episode description talks about Carlin taking engagement photos. If they aren't engaged, how can they take engagement photos? I thought that engagement photos were taken shortly after the engagement as a way to announce with a nice picture. Or am I mistaken?

The description said “engagement worthy” pictures, quotation marks and all.  I think it just means that they could pass as engagement pics. And they did, they had more that one of us speculating on here if they’d gotten engaged.

2E2041DB-DA4F-45BF-86D0-25F2468C0FC2.jpeg

F314F768-3EDB-4D3A-B922-4F45711AD573.jpeg

Those look like the pictures you delete when you are looking for a good one to post. What are those pictures supposed to be about? The sun setting on their virginity? 

3 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

The description said “engagement worthy” pictures, quotation marks and all.  I think it just means that they could pass as engagement pics. And they did, they had more that one of us speculating on here if they’d gotten engaged.

That's what I get for speed reading at work. Thanks!

9 hours ago, socalrules said:

You can always find cheap fish such as tilapia and I love tilapia. I always have fillets in the freezer. I think the Bates are of the same mindset as the Duggars. Spaghetti sauce out of a can, mashed potatoes and Mac and cheese out of a box. These people have probably never peeled a potato or shredded their own cheese. I also think when you have such large families, you make food stretches your dollar and is filling. I would bet their diet is thin on fruits and vegetables because of cost. Hell, I just paid almost a dollar for a pear that was screaming to go home with me. No way are they buying 20 of them. 

I almost bought tilapia a few weeks ago but didn't know how to make it....do you mind sharing how you make yours?

1 hour ago, mollysmom said:

almost bought tilapia a few weeks ago but didn't know how to make it....do you mind sharing how you make yours?

I keep it simple.

Toast some slivered almonds, set aside. 

Salt and pepper the fish then sauté it in a non-stick pan with a little olive oil & butter. (Medium heat)

Depending how thick it is about 2-4 minutes a side. (I usually cook 3/4 on one side then just a minute or 2 on the second side.)  when it is almost done add some fresh lemon juice or white wine. Add toasted almonds and fresh parsley and dinner is served.

In a foil lined pan, I season mine with lemon juice, lemon pepper seasoning and a little seasoning salt. Sometimes I use a little garlic salt. I also put little pats of butter on the fish. You don’t need a lot of it. I also put in seasoned zucchini in the pan surrounding the fish. I then cover it with foil and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. I like my fish a little over cooked because I am weird like that so you have to play with the timing to find how you like it. It always comes out nicely flaky and juicy. I recommend putting the lemon juice juice on before you put on the seasoning so the seasoning doesn’t run off. I also put lemon slices on top of the fish. 

11 minutes ago, socalrules said:

In a foil lined pan, I season mine with lemon juice, lemon pepper seasoning and a little seasoning salt. Sometimes I use a little garlic salt. I also put little pats of butter on the fish. You don’t need a lot of it. I also put in seasoned zucchini in the pan surrounding the fish. I then cover it with foil and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. I like my fish a little over cooked because I am weird like that so you have to play with the timing to find how you like it. It always comes out nicely flaky and juicy. I recommend putting the lemon juice juice on before you put on the seasoning so the seasoning doesn’t run off. I also put lemon slices on top of the fish. 

Oooooh! Thar sounds delicious! Thank you!!!

On 5/18/2018 at 4:14 AM, Letizia said:

I just watched the wedding special and Nathan apparently has a thing for insulting brides as he was as awful to Michael as he was to Tori. It become even more obvious why Ashley dodged a bullet. He started off saying  the guys needed to go to the last dress shop because girls think they know what looks good but they don’t and they need a male opinion. Michael came out in a dress and Nathan told her it looked like his grandma’s wedding dress dress. Josie had been playing on her phone and she looked up and murdered me with her eyes.They went to a talking head where Lawson tried to tell him that you never criticize a woman's appearance. Nathan then says if a girl asks him how she looks he will be honest and say you don’t look your best and I’ve seen days where you looked much better. To which Lawson responded,”Well stay single all your life if you want.” 

There's a (Jamaican) restaurant about a mile from where I live called the Wright Jerk Centre. They're running out of Nathan. 

With this wedding episode they showed how Zach and Whitney got engaged on the beach and it looked like they only got turf and not surf.

Varies from place to place. At least in states the more you move in land it gets pricier. There is also a good chance to stumble on some seafood that have not been will prepared. Odds of people having yet to eat seafood seeming to go up more inland too

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived