IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

If it was a student flat it could also be from an American student. There are lots of them in NZ (I used to be one)!
I was actually pretty shocked by the casual racism in NZ. I had never before heard anti-Semitic phrases used casually before, and at costume parties I saw so many people in blackface.  Obviously blackface still happens in the US but I've never actually seen it in person anywhere but in NZ. 

Interesting you mention casual racism here in NZ. I’ve never heard anti-Semitic phrases but I do think the ‘flavour’ of casual racism and groups targeted has changed. I am part of a minority ethnic group which was the target of racism growing up, now it’s very ‘cool’ to be this ethnicity. I do wonder if this is the same in other places?

One fabulous thing which excites me and I wanna get on the train - Te Reo Maori (one of our national languages) classes are exploding in popularity and booked out for months. My new work offers which is fantastic! Also evident through our national broadcaster where most journalists using on all news and current affairs programmes.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/18/2018 at 3:45 AM, BlessaYourHeart said:

Think Canada is shocking for confederate flags? Well let me blow your mind. I live in Northern Ireland, UK and the guy that lives up the street from me has a confederate flag flying from his shed... he also plays native Pan Flute (is that what it’s called?) from his kitchen. I think he’s a little confused 

As my grandfather would say, That Boy Ain't Right.

PS Anyone else getting tired of the Lawson-the-forever-fifth-wheel shtick?

21 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

and see it as a normal flag.

And therein lies the problem. It is not a normal flag.

At this point in America, I am starting to believe most people who fly the actual AMERICAN flag are doing so with racist/white nationalist undertones.  

2 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

At this point in America, I am starting to believe most people who fly the actual AMERICAN flag are doing so with racist/white nationalist undertones.  

In my area, I keep seeing people driving around with a flag in the back of their pickup truck. I assume the person is part of the Trump cult every time I see it. I feel like it is disrespectful to the flag to have it flapping all over the place at 55+ miles per hour. The flag is frequently unsurprisingly torn too.

6 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

That’s sad. I’m not disagreeing with you, just reflecting. Symbols do mean something. I like the flag too. Never been one to fly it or sport it. I respect it. It means something to me. It’s disconcerting that what I was taught is becoming drastically different than that of my countrymen.

Just now, AliceInFundyland said:

That’s sad. I’m not disagreeing with you, just reflecting. Symbols do mean something. I like the flag too. Never been one to fly it or sport it. I respect it. It means something to me. It’s disconcerting that what I was taught is becoming drastically different than that of my countrymen.

Absolutely agree.  It is terribly sad.  

On 8/8/2018 at 6:37 AM, TatiFish9 said:

Thank you so much for your transparency and for sharing your story. I agree that these type of conversations must remain fluid to encourage understanding and to burst open the flood gates to racial healing in this country for those who truly want change. I enjoyed reading this post.

To the snippet, I don't know your particular family make-up but I have seen too many families where this is not the case. One particularly is AA/White friend couple where their child has green eyes and fairly straight hair. The AA parent is not fair skinned black and the white parent has brown hair and dark eyes (maybe hazel). They constantly tell stories of people mistaking the child's identity when the child was younger. I admit that this is rare ,but still occurs enough where it is not impossible for your children to look like/similar to you, because your partner has a different racially background. Genetics is so tricky that way. With that said I know this kind of thing is more common in places like the U.S. where many AAs  and whites have a significantly mixed racial heritage that pops up through the gene pool from time to time with family not knowing it existed. Elsewhere, is may not be so common.

My husband was born in Southeast Asia and his counrty of orgin is like 97% his ethnicity. There's zero chance we're getting any blue eyed Asian babies lol. However--on the subject of tricky/interesting genetics--we could have grandchildren with blonde hair and blue eyes depending on who are children marry. 

I'm sure my children will look like me in some way. They could have my exact face/nose/body shape, but from what I've experienced a lot of people in America tend not to look further than skin color. I'm not reallly looking forward to being asked if my children are "adopted" when I'm out in public with them.

On 8/9/2018 at 7:50 AM, formergothardite said:

IMO the Bates are probably way way more racist than they allow people to see.

I agree. And post 2016, I'm not longer willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. If you associate with racist things, that's on you and you need to own up to it. I have no doubt in my mind that the Bates are racist, or at least Gil and Kelly. 

On 8/17/2018 at 3:44 PM, Pecansforeveryone said:

I have heard there are patches of the Pennsylvannia countryside where you can see Confederate flags. I can't personally verify as I have never been to Pennsylavannia.

I haven't seen this as I'm from Phila., but I believe it because when I go to the Jersey shore I've seen Confederate flag T-shirts being sold. That's how I always know it's about racism and not "southern pride;" NJ and PA were both Union states. Pennsylvania was the first state to abolish slavery, for God's sake. 

BTW, anyone here watch Atlanta? It has a great version of the Confederate  flag.

image.thumb.png.b7961af1266dc0febf1d715993c583cb.png

I live in Oklahoma (super red state, and remember the Greenwood race riots) and can't think of a time I've seen a confederate flag flying. Lots of Trumpism as well as overt and subtle racism, economic disparity, and anti-Mexican rhetoric abound however. There are currently political ads for governor painting Mick Cornett as a dirty liberal for saying the border wall is stupid.
Other Okies might jump in to tell about their flag sightings! I'm sure there is some variation by area.

2 minutes ago, 16strong said:

Anyone know who the dude is that Zach's getting handsy with?

That would be Kelton, Josie's fiancée.

Some updates from this week's Facebook live:

Carlin transferred to a new University called Liberty. She's studying a liberal arts degree with minors in music, history and something else. She's just finished a summer course and has two semesters to go. Apparently Kelly has conceded she doesn't think they can wait for Carlin to finish before marrying.

Josie confirmed her wedding date and bridal party were as we had seen online.

Katie has started studying cosmetology in the past few weeks. No mention of where.

Carlin said Tori is due at Thanksgiving (22nd November).

It's only Carlin and Josie this week, so not a lot of content. 

1 hour ago, Kangaroo said:

Carlin transferred to a new University called Liberty. She's studying a liberal arts degree with minors in music, history and something else. She's just finished a summer course and has two semesters to go. Apparently Kelly has conceded she doesn't think they can wait for Carlin to finish before marrying.

Josie confirmed her wedding date and bridal party were as we had seen online.

Katie has started studying cosmetology in the past few weeks. No mention of where.

Carlin said Tori is due at Thanksgiving (22nd November).

It's only Carlin and Josie this week, so not a lot of content. 

Katie cosmetology? i thought she wanted to be a nurse? thats dissapointing

And about Carlin transfering maybe Crown didnt offer online tuition?? i dont know anything about Liberty but maybe it allows her to do it online, i think she said something about that in the past.

So... Were Katie's dreams dashed because she can't go to a secular college to study nursing?

Poor Katie.

3 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

Probably Crown College. Wasn't she saying she wanted to be a nurse just a month or so ago? I realize people change their minds on careers, but with they way Gil and Kelly raise daughters I bet she was told becoming a nurse wasn't an option. Crown doesn't seem to have a nursing program and I bet they weren't going to let her attend a secular school within driving distance or move out of state to attend a Christian school with a nursing program. 

3 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

Carlin's third minor is religion. She's also currently teaching piano to elementary age students, which she says is her dream job.

22 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Probably Crown College. Wasn't she saying she wanted to be a nurse just a month or so ago? I realize people change their minds on careers, but with they way Gil and Kelly raise daughters I bet she was told becoming a nurse wasn't an option. Crown doesn't seem to have a nursing program and I bet they weren't going to let her attend a secular school within driving distance or move out of state to attend a Christian school with a nursing program. 

Exactly. People change their minds, sure, but it wasnt that long ago, three months tops. I dont think she changed her mind, but settled to something easier. Maybe her parents offered to pay if she did cosmetology instead. Perhaps she realized with her homeschool education she was not ready to study nursing. Who knows. We will never know because knowing the Bates they will never mention again the nurse thing and make it seem like cosmetology was the plan all along.

Someone asked who's going to take over the teaching of the littles when Carlin leaves. Josie chimed in and said that Carlin is so organized and good with the kids, and the house is probably going to fall apart when Carlin moves out. She also said that Kelly may not let Carlin get married a semester early for that reason. Good to know that everyone is aware that Kelly and Gil are fairly useless.

On 8/23/2018 at 3:24 PM, HereticHick said:

PS Anyone else getting tired of the Lawson-the-forever-fifth-wheel shtick?

More of Lawson in general, and I only read about him here and occasionally check his Instagram.  :pb_lol: 

I haven't found a way to watch BuB here in Germany (ahem, for free, ahem), but I recently saw that mini clip from Up where they said Lawson is always tagging along for couples' dates. What annoyed me more was that whole "So I'm in a relationship now and OMG, we are best friends and we only go out with other couples, so you can't be part of our group anymore" holier than though attitude, but it seems to be a general fundie thing. I actually thought "Good for you, Lawson, get in there with all those couples and be your own person" :my_blush:

So is Carlin now at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA? The famous one that Jerry Fallwell was President of? If so that's 5 hours away, I wonder if she's staying around there? It is a larger and more legit university than Crown College, in which case good for Carlin!

If the Liberty that Carlin is going to is the Liberty in VA that's actually kind of impressive. Liberty is 100% a conservative Christian school but the students are fairly diverse and not fundie. I have a lot of friends that went to Liberty for a variety of reasons. Even in online classes there are likely to be discussion requirements where she would be interacting with young people who live decently normal lives. 

6 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I haven't seen the Live stream, so I'm interested to know what degree she's actually studying for. Here's the list of Liberty University bachelor's degrees: https://www.liberty.edu/online/degrees/bachelors/ 

Maybe she's doing the Interdisciplinary Studies degree? https://www.liberty.edu/online/arts-and-sciences/bachelors/interdisciplinary-studies/ 

Interesting note, per the website the Bachelor of Science (!!!!) in Interdisciplinary Studies degree is available online and will potentially allow for the transfer of up to 75% of required credits. Although coming from a Bachelor's of Biblical Studies program I wonder how the transfer credit thing will work. Particularly since the Transfer Students page says that credts transfer from "regionally accredited" schools and Crown College doesn't appear as an existing option on their Transfer Credit Calculator page. https://www.liberty.edu/online/transfer-to-liberty-university/

30 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

I haven't seen the Live stream, so I'm interested to know what degree she's actually studying for. Here's the list of Liberty University bachelor's degrees: https://www.liberty.edu/online/degrees/bachelors/ 

Maybe she's doing the Interdisciplinary Studies degree? https://www.liberty.edu/online/arts-and-sciences/bachelors/interdisciplinary-studies/ 

Interesting note, per the website the Bachelor of Science (!!!!) in Interdisciplinary Studies degree is available online and will potentially allow for the transfer of up to 75% of required credits. Although coming from a Bachelor's of Biblical Studies program I wonder how the transfer credit thing will work. Particularly since the Transfer Students page says that credts transfer from "regionally accredited" schools and Crown College doesn't appear as an existing option on their Transfer Credit Calculator page. https://www.liberty.edu/online/transfer-to-liberty-university/

She said on the live she is doing a liberal arts degree interdisplinary studies (whatever that means, no ofense but college degrees in USA are so weird for me) with a minor in music, religion and history . And i am pretty sure she is doing it online and still living at home.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived