IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

@JermajestyDuggar I'm sure that accounts for the huge difference in height between her and Callie but she's the same size as Addallee who's a year older. She's always seemed taller to me.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put a hunk of parmesan rind with a little cheese on it in my chicken soup when I have it.  It adds a really nice richness to the broth.  I believe the practice is Italian in origin. It's not kosher but seeing as how I still eat pork that shouldn’t matter.  

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

@JermajestyDuggar I'm sure that accounts for the huge difference in height between her and Callie but she's the same size as Addallee who's a year older. She's always seemed taller to me.

If you look at a different family picture, she’s a little shorter than Addie. And they are 14 months apart. So they should be close in size. Like I said, Ellie will probably be one of the taller Bates girls. But I doubt she will be a lot taller than the rest. The Bates girls are all shorter than average IIRC (some more than others). So maybe Addie will be closer to average height or a little above. 

9 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

found the recipe, it calls for velveeta!  I was horrified when I watched this episode so when I saw the Bates recipe I had a flashback.

Food Network link

You’re right, that’s a very weird recipe! Why dried parsley? Why not sauté the aromatics? Why not simmer a whole chicken so that you don’t need FIVE boullion cubes? Fettuccine AND rice?! And three cups of Velveeta cubes as a garnish?  So strange. 

for those talking about bates getting hurt I found this info not sure why anyone would call this a fun fact but anyway this is from the Bates Blog that they ran themselves but hasn't been updated since before Brooklyn's birth

Isaiah is the only Bates that has been airlifted to a hospital.

I think both Erin and Alyssa are probably both surprised by the amount of work 3 very young children require. They both had easy first babies. Their seconds didn’t seem so easy but they have helpful husbands who can help with one while they tend to the other. Now they have three and they are outnumbered. I am hoping they are going to have a bigger gap between 3 and 4. But who knows with these people.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:00 AM, justmy2cents said:

That "train" makes it obvious that Ellie is a very tall girl.

That was my question. Is there a huge gap between Ellie and Callie? 

22 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think both Erin and Alyssa are probably both surprised by the amount of work 3 very young children require. They both had easy first babies. Their seconds didn’t seem so easy but they have helpful husbands who can help with one while they tend to the other. Now they have three and they are outnumbered. I am hoping they are going to have a bigger gap between 3 and 4. But who knows with these people.

I know that's true for Brooklyn but was Lexxie harder than Allie?

5 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

That was my question. Is there a huge gap between Ellie and Callie? 

I know that's true for Brooklyn but was Lexxie harder than Allie?

The gap is over 2 years. Most of Kelly’s gaps are between 13 and 17 months. 

I’m not sure if Lexie was difficult but I remember Allie being an easy baby so I imagine Lexie might have been an average baby. I don’t remember Alyssa saying Lexie was easy nor difficult. 

I think Kelly had one or two miscarriages between Ellie and Callie.That's why there's a bigger gap between them,instead of the 13-17 month gap.

29 minutes ago, melon said:

I think Kelly had one or two miscarriages between Ellie and Callie.That's why there's a bigger gap between them,instead of the 13-17 month gap.

She definitely had more than one. I can’t remember if it was 2 or 3 in a row. But after she had multiple miscarriages in a row, I believe she started taking a medication to keep her from miscarrying and that’s why she had three more live births after that. 

36 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She definitely had more than one. I can’t remember if it was 2 or 3 in a row. But after she had multiple miscarriages in a row, I believe she started taking a medication to keep her from miscarrying and that’s why she had three more live births after that. 

I think it was two in a row between Ellie and Callie. The other two were a bit earlier in the kid lineup. I believe Kelly had to take Progesterone to maintain future pregnancies, but don’t quote me on that.  

ETA: I checked the family summaries thread and this is what I have down for Kelly and Gil’s losses:

7143B8AD-5A1F-45A9-8598-449DF1DCAC9A.thumb.png.acd1ae8426d33ec42c718acb0648d381.png

I’m not sure which happened when. I’d guess at least two occurred between Ellie and Callie though. 

If she had a miscarriage close to the 20 week mark, I imagine it would most likely be between Callie and Ellie. Because her other gaps are so small that it would be hard to fit in a 20 week pregnancy in such small gaps. 

Kelly also had a miscarriage after Jeb. I think it was in 2012 before Erin and Chad started courting.

Sigh. Why family planning, even non-hormonal forms is "playing God", but taking a gasp hormone to sustain a pregnancy is not is beyond my powers of comprehension. ( I don't wish miscarriages on any fundie. I just wish they had compassion and common sense.)

7 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Sigh. Why family planning, even non-hormonal forms is "playing God", but taking a gasp hormone to sustain a pregnancy is not is beyond my powers of comprehension. ( I don't wish miscarriages on any fundie. I just wish they had compassion and common sense.)

because to them once a pregnancy is there it's a life. Kelly said it in an interview. if a child fell and needed to go to the hospital she'd take them. she doesn't see a fetus as any different.  I think a better comparison is why is Micheal going to fertility drs to find out why she's not getting pregnant shouldn't they just see that as god saying they shouldn't have kids. 

I mean, I kind of get it, but yeah at the end of the day, those mental acrobatics make me dizzy.

On 7/20/2018 at 10:32 PM, TeaELSee said:

A couple years ago I was watching Trisha Yearwoods cooking show and I gagged when she put cheese chunks in her chicken soup recipe. I wonder if it’s a southern thing?  

Trisha should stick to singing, her recipes are pretty bad.

I'm from Georgia, like Trisha, and I can't say I've ever heard of cheese in chicken soup. I made a face when I saw cheese as an optional ingredient in the Bates' recipe. Just seems like a bizarre choice. Cheese in chicken tortilla, sure, but chicken noodle seems like it ought to be cheese free to me. IDK, maybe it's delicious. 

I agree about Trisha's recipes. I feel like everything she makes I've got a better recipe for or just know naturally how to do off the top of my head and didn't enjoy watching her show for that reason. For cooking shows I'll stick with Ina, I can't get enough of her. 

On 7/21/2018 at 6:34 PM, LovelyLuna said:

I put a hunk of parmesan rind with a little cheese on it in my chicken soup when I have it.  It adds a really nice richness to the broth.  I believe the practice is Italian in origin. It's not kosher but seeing as how I still eat pork that shouldn’t matter.  

I LOVE parmesan rind soup.  It's so good! 

During the I Love You couples dinner Kelly said something I found interesting. She said something to the effect that Lawson would not crash with a date, because her kids would not be seeing someone she didn't know about. How is she so sure? Lawson spends most of his days in Nashville. Furthermore Nathan does his pilot classes away from home. They're even letting Trace travel alone. He was just in Hawaii. Without chaperones, how can we be sure these guys have not had a steady interest or two without her knowing. Also, is it just me or are the girls not allowed to travel without chaperone, but the guys are given then green-light. Like if Katie and her best friend wanted to go to Puerto Rico alone, would that be okay?

How long are they going to be able to keep up this courtship appearance with several older boys and possibly Katie pursuing their careers away from home?

1 hour ago, TatiFish9 said:

During the I Love You couples dinner Kelly said something I found interesting. She said something to the effect that Lawson would not crash with a date, because her kids would not be seeing someone she didn't know about. How is she so sure? Lawson spends most of his days in Nashville. Furthermore Nathan does his pilot classes away from home. They're even letting Trace travel alone. He was just in Hawaii. Without chaperones, how can we be sure these guys have not had a steady interest or two without her knowing. Also, is it just me or are the girls not allowed to travel without chaperone, but the guys are given then green-light. Like if Katie and her best friend wanted to go to Puerto Rico alone, would that be okay?

How long are they going to be able to keep up this courtship appearance with several older boys and possibly Katie pursuing their careers away from home?

we're kind of talking about this topic over on the JD thread. I would say Katie won't be allowed to go anywhere without someone else but the boys will because the chaperoning will be left to the girls parents/siblings.  I don't think Nate traveled with a sibling when he went to New York during the times he was seeing Ashley. Mostly Ashley's sibs were left to do the chaperoning. 

13 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

we're kind of talking about this topic over on the JD thread. I would say Katie won't be allowed to go anywhere without someone else but the boys will because the chaperoning will be left to the girls parents/siblings.  I don't think Nate traveled with a sibling when he went to New York during the times he was seeing Ashley. Mostly Ashley's sibs were left to do the chaperoning. 

I imagine it’s a double standard most large fundie families have.

On 7/15/2018 at 2:45 PM, Pecansforeveryone said:

@formergothardite, I'm just going to be a totally snarky bitch and assume Nathan didn't like having to preach on a schedule. He may have enjoyed traveling more with Lawson. I'm having a hard time being in way positive about or patient with certain members of the Duggars and Bates clan. I will pause before I start a mindless rant. 

The bible does say that a pastor should be the husband of one wife. This is generally interpreted as meaning he should have only one wife, but I have heard people say that meant that a man needs to be married to be a pastor. Though Nathan could still be an evangelist without being married.

19 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Poor Katie. If Crown doesn't have a nursing school, who will she take with her for classes at another uni? Jackson??? Maybe. If Katie is true to her goals, even with initial online work, she will need to go to a clinical of some sort. I think even CNA programs require an internship. I am sure that varies per state.

I just don't see the courtship model holding intact all the way to Jeb. 

On 7/23/2018 at 3:18 PM, Ivycoveredtower said:

because to them once a pregnancy is there it's a life. Kelly said it in an interview. if a child fell and needed to go to the hospital she'd take them. she doesn't see a fetus as any different.  I think a better comparison is why is Micheal going to fertility drs to find out why she's not getting pregnant shouldn't they just see that as god saying they shouldn't have kids. 

But WAIT! Do they even count if there is no memorial wall? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived