IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

55 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

I haven't seen the Live stream, so I'm interested to know what degree she's actually studying for. Here's the list of Liberty University bachelor's degrees: https://www.liberty.edu/online/degrees/bachelors/ 

Maybe she's doing the Interdisciplinary Studies degree? https://www.liberty.edu/online/arts-and-sciences/bachelors/interdisciplinary-studies/ 

Interesting note, per the website the Bachelor of Science (!!!!) in Interdisciplinary Studies degree is available online and will potentially allow for the transfer of up to 75% of required credits. Although coming from a Bachelor's of Biblical Studies program I wonder how the transfer credit thing will work. Particularly since the Transfer Students page says that credts transfer from "regionally accredited" schools and Crown College doesn't appear as an existing option on their Transfer Credit Calculator page. https://www.liberty.edu/online/transfer-to-liberty-university/

Liberty is known for taking in students who are transferring from an unaccredited school. Many PCC (the college Bobby and Kelton graduated from) students who figure out that they should probably not be going to PCC end up transferring to Liberty since it is one of the few schools who will take their credits. 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Nah i am 99% that she will finish. She said she did a summer course, and now has only has 2 semesters left. Even if she marries in december or january, she can move to Nashville with Evan and still finish it online. I think at this point they have put too much money on it for she to drop out, thats why she instead changed schools to finish earlier. The only one to drop out was Alyssa but i dont think she had atended more than a year by that time since she was only 19 when she married.

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Probably Crown College. Wasn't she saying she wanted to be a nurse just a month or so ago? I realize people change their minds on careers, but with they way Gil and Kelly raise daughters I bet she was told becoming a nurse wasn't an option. Crown doesn't seem to have a nursing program and I bet they weren't going to let her attend a secular school within driving distance or move out of state to attend a Christian school with a nursing program. 

I think they discouraged her too.

Nursing might expose her (often in a very literal sense) to not-modest-stuff. Also science.

But seeing as a Duggar just became engaged to a nurse, I thought it would be acceptable. There's the serving and helping aspect others too or paediatric/ neonatal nursing.

Though Josie got a lot of positive feedback for her comsmetology licence, how well it fits with their lifestyle and how that's something she might be able to to part time, in her own house after she has a couple of kids.

1 hour ago, squiddysquid said:

I think they discouraged her too.

Nursing might expose her (often in a very literal sense) to not-modest-stuff. Also science.

But seeing as a Duggar just became engaged to a nurse, I thought it would be acceptable. There's the serving and helping aspect others too or paediatric/ neonatal nursing.

Crown's homepage announcing they are starting a School of Science and Health Care: https://thecrowncollege.edu/ --no details yet. they are also starting a welding program, which would be a good living for any Batesling.

Carlin's going to an accredited program? Will wonders never cease? Congratulations! That is a great example: I hope more of her sibs pick Liberty.  Liberty is pretty awful, but better than Crown. And accredited!

She's not the first to get an actual accredited degree -- Michael graduated from Roane State, I believe -- but the more of them that get properly edumacated the better.

On 8/22/2018 at 4:35 PM, HavetheyheardofBeyonce said:

Interesting you mention casual racism here in NZ. I’ve never heard anti-Semitic phrases but I do think the ‘flavour’ of casual racism and groups targeted has changed. I am part of a minority ethnic group which was the target of racism growing up, now it’s very ‘cool’ to be this ethnicity. I do wonder if this is the same in other places?

One fabulous thing which excites me and I wanna get on the train - Te Reo Maori (one of our national languages) classes are exploding in popularity and booked out for months. My new work offers which is fantastic! Also evident through our national broadcaster where most journalists using on all news and current affairs programmes.

My husband is a kiwi and we spend about a month a year there and have for a couple decades. I have not heard much in the way of racism, but my BIL is Maori, my nephew is 1/2 Samoan and my husband's closest friend is 1/2 Cook Islander so it may just be the family I am in!

When I was in NZ I heard the phrase, "Hell's Pizza are such Jews about the corn nuggets," which was the first time I had heard someone use "Jews" that way. After that I noticed several other people use the word the same way. As it happens, the girl who said that about the corn nuggets was of Indian ancestry and talked about experiencing a lot of anti-Asian racism in NZ. I also noticed anti-Maori comments that sounded very similar to comments I've heard in the US about Native Americans, like people complaining that they get everything for free. (I also heard many more positive comments about Maori people!)

And again, so much blackface. Early on I passed a group of people all dressed as Jamaicans, with the face paint to match. Then I went to the annual Hyde St. party, which is an enormous* costume party with a variety of themes. Two of the themes the year I went were "tribal" and "out of Africa."

That's not to pick on NZ (the blackface example includes lots of international students too, for one thing), and I loved my time there, but I did notice some white Kiwis talking about American racism as if racism wasn't also an issue in NZ. It's something I've noticed a lot from white non-Americans in general, and also happens quite a bit within the US where Americans talk about racism in the South while ignoring the huge problems with racism in their own areas.

*Here's a picture, which doesn't even capture the full size:

Spoiler

534083_10150749953671352_734131351_11957

Not that I agree, but some countries and cultures claim blackface isn't problematic, as they are not the USA. Just try telling a Dutch person that Zwarte Piet is racist, for example... 

52 minutes ago, bal maiden said:

. Just try telling a Dutch person that Zwarte Piet is racist, for example... 

Pretty sure we had this argument once on FJ. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

The most recent episode annoyed me. Tori is learning to cook from Erin. She clearly doesn't enjoy it, so  Bobby should step up to the plate and do some cooking. Heaven forbid a man makes the meals. 

Past episodes have shown Warden cooking at Erin's house, and that's great. I doubt, however, that the boys do much cooking at home.

I had no idea that “blackface not being problematic” was a thing. My mind is blown.

....I am going to embarrassingly insert an anecdote. When we did Kansas history in 4th grade, I was assigned “Brown vs. The Board of Education”  This famous case is when a little black girl was denied entry to her local elementary school. Then it was decided unconstitutional for schools to be segregated. I remain mortified to this day that NOBODY stopped little me from getting up and doing a presentation with brown facepaint. Not my liberal parents, not my beloved teacher, nobody.  

I can barely submit that. And it was 30 years ago. And a culturally unexposed child’s error. It is So Problematic. 

I just looked up Zwarte Piet. Interesting. I bet that in time, with more cultural influx, attitudes about that will change. It is very difficult to shift the perception of something everyone thinks is benign. 

2 hours ago, wandering woman said:

The most recent episode annoyed me. Tori is learning to cook from Erin. She clearly doesn't enjoy it, so  Bobby should step up to the plate and do some cooking. Heaven forbid a man makes the meals. 

Past episodes have shown Warden cooking at Erin's house, and that's great. I doubt, however, that the boys do much cooking at home.

They did at least concede that men are capable of grilling, which is something, I guess.

4 hours ago, bal maiden said:

Not that I agree, but some countries and cultures claim blackface isn't problematic, as they are not the USA. Just try telling a Dutch person that Zwarte Piet is racist, for example... 

Dutch citizens who happen to be non-white might feel differently...

Maybe Katie has a boyfriend. Or someone she's talking to. And Josie is earning.  I bet all the girls are going to be hairdressers now.  

I was wondering why Liberty University sounded so familiar, and then I remembered I have this book in my bookcase: https://www.amazon.com/Unlikely-Disciple-Semester-Americas-University/dp/0446178438

It is a quite an interesting book about a secular college student who attended Liberty for one semester to see what it is about. 

8 hours ago, bal maiden said:

Well, fortunately not every Dutch person is the same. There are also a lot of non-white and white Dutch people who think Zwarte piet is racist.   That's why there are more and more 'roet- en kleur pieten' (grime- and colour faces). 

Spoiler

image.png.4e115d794a4ca1a67a557ec7d02e28b7.png1277049900_roetpiet.jpg.4016667341f0dfa495482dd32e70522f.jpg

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Dutch citizens who happen to be non-white might feel differently...

You are quite right. Thank you.

@Dutch_girl you are also right to point out my generalization, and I’m sorry. When I lived in the Netherlands I did have Dutch friends and colleagues who did not like Zwarte Piet and wanted change. However I was also surprised at the number of otherwise liberal people who vehemently defended ZP being black. I guess it’s hard to change beloved traditions from childhood. 

Carlin transferring to Liberty is big news.  They're a real school, even if very, very conservative. 

It also means she can get married during the semester, unlike at Crown. 

I have seen pictures of Zwarte Piet. I found him to look kind of bizarre and frightening. He has a distorted, exagerrated look. I hope they find a better way of depicting a character. You can create your own traditions and improve on old ones. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived