IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

Continued from here:

At the end of the last thread, we were trying to identify what it is that makes the Bates family successful (or not) at selling their version of a perfect family. 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Ok, this is the first I've heard of that, and... how??? My 800 SF apartment is 1br and our dining area is just big enough to have 4 people around the table, but it's tight. I can imagine it being 2br if we had a smaller bedroom/ living room but I still don't understand where you would put, like, 9 beds, even if they were bunk beds. Or where everyone would have space to sit, when they weren't in bed.

I think the boys or possibly all the children had beds in the attic.  I can't remember about seating, but I think the bedrooms were small and the table took up part of the living room. 

I was just thinking: the promo for next week basically says that the episode is gonna be recap and look at all the Bateses weddings. They got inspired by the royal wedding apparently. Anyone else thinking that they would use this opportunity to announce an engagement?

Edit: the promo also mentioned courtships, so maybe they can announce that too.

9 hours ago, anaandrade said:

I was just thinking: the promo for next week basically says that the episode is gonna be recap and look at all the Bateses weddings. They got inspired by the royal wedding apparently. Anyone else thinking that they would use this opportunity to announce an engagement?

Edit: the promo also mentioned courtships, so maybe they can announce that too.

I think the same thing (mentioned it a bit upthread)...

i also wouldn’t be surprised if they announced a Whitney/Zach pregnancy during Fathers Day special, assuming they’re doing one. That way they had a Bates daughter announce on Mother’s Day and Bates son on Father’s Day...

For those who haven't seen them, some photos of the Bateses in their early days. They really liked the beach...and frumpers.Michaela_and_erin_17_kids.jpg.dd9db5dcf4ef609367a34f53e6dd88ec.jpg

Spoiler

cda194fe52ed39a71e9efded438a65aa.jpg.49cbfb967c51590d9681ae2099035be4.jpg

Spoiler

Kelly_and_co.jpg.7e33b9d6afb4644a70a66a079de30c36.jpg

Spoiler

642be2f7fb1caa866e76800c72dc442b.jpg.92d884d61ad63f94bd431a5a1ea01ebc.jpg

Spoiler

5af745e30dae8_batesfamily2.thumb.jpg.eadfffc078fa8ee089104d2fd84fc792.jpg

Erin's wearing shorts in the real old picture...Nike! :P 

4 hours ago, neurogirl said:

For those who haven't seen them, some photos of the Bateses in their early days. They really liked the beach...and frumpers.

Erin really resembles Allie Jane in the oldest photo where she's wearing the pink shorts! 

Those pictures are great.

Erin looks like Ellie May Clampett or a character in a play in the first picture.

That picture with the first four Kelly looks just like Tori!

Also did Michael do the dresses cause Kelly Jo couldn't sew? Hence why we see the dresses once more of the show up?

The photo with just the 4 kids looks so normal. That could be any ordinary family in the 1990s.

Also I always forget who close Alyssa and Tori are in age. It's almost mind blogging when you realise Alyssa is closer in age to Tori and Carlin than Erin and Michaela, yet she's been married for years and has three kids!

7 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Also did Michael do the dresses cause Kelly Jo couldn't sew?

Yes. Kelly couldn't sew so Michelle taught Michael when she was around 10ish. 

Since you all are posting old pictures of the Bates family, I will post this old picture of the Bates and Duggar kids together. It looks like Josh, JD, Michaela (with Alyssa in front of her), Jill, Erin, Jessa, Zach, Lawson, Jinger, Nathan, and Jana. It is likely that Joseph was a baby when this was taken but he wasn’t included in the picture. Depending on when it was taken, Tori was either a baby or Kelly was pregnant with her when it was taken. 

Notice Zach and Jessa are holding hands. They must’ve been engaged. 

3576C6F4-B8C8-40F2-9F12-29A13F3C2FC3.jpeg

Bless Michaela for having to sew all those dresses. Girlfriend deserved a break.

Look at the Duggar girls with their bloomers.Pantalets is what my grandmother called it,and she wore them,too.

Jessa's looking at them like WTF? And Jinger's crying, because she just knows. 

5 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

Jessa's looking at them like WTF? And Jinger's crying, because she just knows. 

And Michael is already wrangling a little one. 

The last group photograph (in the initial group of pictures)  is marked; Chads Perspective. Was that a photography company Chad had?

Wow, I didn't realize how long the Duggars and Bates knew each other. Does anyone know an exact date/year when they first met? 

^I want to say in one of the early episdes (of 19kac or UBoA) that Gil or JB said they met at an ATI conference when one of them had about 7 sprog?

I think that's Jana (with possibly Jinger?) next to JD. And Michael is the tall girl on the right.

For those who think Kelly sells her motherly image well, I would suggest looking at the "birthday/proof of life videos" with Michelle and Jordyn Duggar. Michelle shamelessly admits to using her 8 year old daughter as a surrogate babysitter. Jordan looks dazed and detached as Michelle drones on and on. It was the final straw thgat convinced me that Michelle and Kelly don't mother their children. 

1 hour ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

For those who think Kelly sells her motherly image well, I would suggest looking at the "birthday/proof of life videos" with Michelle and Jordyn Duggar. Michelle shamelessly admits to using her 8 year old daughter as a surrogate babysitter. Jordan looks dazed and detached as Michelle drones on and on. It was the final straw thgat convinced me that Michelle and Kelly don't mother their children. 

That little girl is going to need so much therapy when she gets older. If she gets out, of course, though I’m assuming the younger ones mostly will. She seems to be very aware of how sad her childhood is. 

I find those old group photos quite interesting - especially the matchy-matchy ones. I noticed that Kelly is the only one not matching - the girls are all in matching dresses, and Gil is dressed like the boys. I wonder why that is? 

It's probably nothing, but it piqued my interest. 

6291D052-9663-4334-8CBB-5F22C883FDDF.thumb.png.98a8ae8e891b256a74b139f9da5eec03.png

Spoiler

FE074FF7-54A3-4B1F-AF49-DD87CD05DA9E.thumb.png.86e39e15371dc8af0b7c812a9cc56749.png

Sorry to burst their bubble, but none of the Bates kids are Kelly’s favorite. Gil and Kelly are Kelly’s favorites. Gil’s too. That’s why they pawned the younger kids off on their elder sisters, “borrowed” money from Lawson to buy groceries, had John Duggar install cameras in their house, somehow appear to have gone on dates and taken trips together while their kids lived in squalor, manipulated their daughter’s into running the household for them, given their kids lackluster educations...

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived