IGNORED

Adoption disruptions

LilMissMetaphor

Unfortunately some adopters have a completely unrealistic expectation of adoption. Love is wonderful but love can not fix FASD , mental health disorders, etc.

I knew someone who told me they were pursuing international adoption because kids in foster care had too many problems.

I have worked with kids in care for over 10 years and my best friend has fostered for over 20. I told them the only difference is that a child in foster care was more like to be diagnosed. They were not more likely to have behavior problems, you were just more likely to know what you were getting into.  Or did you really think a child being raised in a 3rd world orphanage had a full psych eval?

Studies have shown that even children adopted as newborns show signs of trauma from separation. Bio children can have mental illness too. If you just want someone to love you unconditionally and appreciate what you do for them, best stick with a dog. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2018 at 3:52 PM, Anonymousguest said:

Studies have shown that even children adopted as newborns show signs of trauma from separation. Bio children can have mental illness too. If you just want someone to love you unconditionally and appreciate what you do for them, best stick with a dog. 

I was 2 days old when I was adopted. Immediately after my birth I was put in a room by myself and neither my birth family or adoptive family was allowed to see me. Basically I was alone in a room with someone coming in periodically to check on me. I 100% blame my abandonment and some other issues I have on my adoption. 

One of my children was removed from the "care" of his birth mother when he was 1 month old. He definitely has behaviors that stem from that separation, and that likely stem from early neglect. People assume it has to go on for years or they need to remember it for that sort of thing to affect someone for life. Nope. When little brains become wired to expect neglect or separation, it changes them for life.

Archived