IGNORED

Reborn dolls - please for the love of god talk about them here!

quiversR4hunting

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, Terrie said:

My brother had a teddy bear we used to do travel photos with. My favorite was the teddy by the pool, wearing a nose clip so he wouldn't get water up his nose. 

I love this so much.

I have a small collection of stuffed animal sharks.  In 2014, I took my hammerhead, Hammi, on a trip to Florida.  And I took him down to the beach and snapped a photo of him sitting on a towel, looking out at the water.  Oh yes I did.  

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

I love this so much.

I have a small collection of stuffed animal sharks.  In 2014, I took my hammerhead, Hammi, on a trip to Florida.  And I took him down to the beach and snapped a photo of him sitting on a towel, looking out at the water.  Oh yes I did.  

I'm sure it was a cute picture!  I have thought about that sort of thing, and I wish I'd done something like that when our daughter was young.  It would be a lot of fun.

On 6/5/2018 at 3:40 AM, Briefly said:

I'm sure it was a cute picture!  I have thought about that sort of thing, and I wish I'd done something like that when our daughter was young.  It would be a lot of fun.

I have a huge collection of stuffed animals and they all have names. A little monkey comes with me to my driving classes and a panda went with me to the theory classes. I also took a mole (named Rolf Holunder) on our vacation and he got also some pictures at the beach and in other locations. I have a little teddy bear (Lilly) who has her own wardrobe with baby clothes. And currently there is an IKEA parcel on the way to me with a little lion and a snake. I never cared for dolls when I was young, only stuffed animals. 

My parents are the same. Even my Dad takes animals with him on holiday and takes pictures.

Well, FJ is now giving me reborn doll related ads.  I regret my life choices that lead to this moment.  

My hubby bought me a stuffed animal while we were dating. It sat in the front row during our wedding, was carried across the threshold of our apartment after me, and went with us on the honeymoon. Yes, we're weird, why do you ask?

1 hour ago, Lisafer said:

My hubby bought me a stuffed animal while we were dating. It sat in the front row during our wedding, was carried across the threshold of our apartment after me, and went with us on the honeymoon. Yes, we're weird, why do you ask?

Hubs bought me a small stuffed monkey before we got married.  It lived in my car and it moved to each new car I bought.  After I daughter was born, she adopted it and it's still around somewhere.  Probably in the box in the attic with her special stuffed toys that she kept when she cleaned out.

My mom had chihuahuas (real ones). When Beanie Babies got popular, my dad bought her a bb chihuahua and it was very special to her.  Her granddaughters (my daughter and my sister's daughter) put it in the coffin with her at her funeral and it was buried with her.

So don't apologize for having a special memento!  It's sweet, actually.

My daughters named Halloween decorative mini pumpkins. Each mesh bag of pumpkins carried an assortment of cute standard smooth pumpkins in fifty shades of orange, and an oddball gourd with spikes coming out in weird angles, warts and spots. Kiddos wrote the names on the pumpkins with a Sharpie, Ashley, Holly and Elizabeth for the cute standard pumpkins, while the spiky oddball was Pickle. Each Halloween, year in and year out, we would buy a mesh bag of mini pumpkins and the weirdo spiky one would always be Pickle.

I am late to the thread but here goes! About 10 years ago I worked for the Bradford Exchange here in Canada as a telemarketer to American customers. We sold alot of "baby dolls". There was one in particular who looked to me as if she was "laid out" (in her coffin). One customer in particular wanted to return the doll because her skin was a little too gray and she looked dead. Some customers couldn't wait to fool their friends and neighbours with their "babies". The best part was when we had the annual sale and staff could buy their kids the dolls for next to nothing. The kids had no ulterior motives, they just wanted a doll!

aA

This whole doll thing is so utterly bizarre to me... words are just seemingly not enough...

In my brief Google search I noticed that some of these are mistaken for actual babies locked in cars and provoke a law enforcement response... this is all kinds of fuckery. O_O

21 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Well, FJ is now giving me reborn doll related ads.  I regret my life choices that lead to this moment.  

Currently I've got two ads about visiting the USA (specifically Tennessee), and one about paying Zakat. First one makes sense, second one is the wrong religion for this board. 

Full disclosure here: I still really love stuffed animals and still to this day like to cuddle with a few on really bad anxiety days, of which I have many.

Here is a photo.  From left to right we have Moosey Durante, Fen and Moo.  These are just three of many.

These dolls however really skived me out.

fen-and-family.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The discussion of the stuffed animals reminds me of something we do with my son's stuffed fox. It's Foxy from Five Nights at Freddy's and he's my son's comfort object. Once he forgot him at his grandma's, so to make him feel better, she decided to take pictures of Foxy's adventures and post them on Facebook. She took a picture of him taking a "bath" in the sink with bubbles and a shower cap, hanging from strings in a tree to look like he was parachuting, and laying on the beach in "Mexico." My kids loved it so much that we kept it up. Foxy goes with us on every outing, so we make sure to get pictures of his adventures featuring only him and we have a special Facebook folder for them. It's a lot of fun. :my_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Talking of taking pics of stuffed animals on holiday reminded me of one of my favourite pictures my sister took on an epic Arctic trip she took for work. I had sent her Jack, the monkey, to keep her company up north. Jack appears in lots of photos out on the ice, posing with all kinds of technical equipment etc, but  Ilove that these two Inuit guys just totally played along with her request to pose with him. (I added the sunglasses to disguise them a bit since I dunno if they really want their pics all over the internet)

20180630_185735.png

• 1 month later...

I just read a story on reddit.  The woman involved is having a mental health crisis, I think.  A woman has been with a guy for 9 or 10 years, and got engaged this past year.  His mother was fine until the engagement, then she started getting upset about "losing" her son.  She bought a reborn type doll.  During a family party she gets upset and goes out to her car.  Turns out she has the reborn doll there, in a safety seat.  Her daughter and her husband (I think) found her with it and they got concerned because she had the doll made to look like her son as a baby.  But before they talked to her, the daughter-in-law to be also came across the mother with the doll.  She followed her as she left the party to check on her.  The daughter-in-law found her in the car, breastfeeding the doll.  When the mother realized she had been found out, she screamed things like the DIL was ruining everything.

I think that we hear a ton of  the extreme examples of people with reborn dolls and we rarely hear about those who don't go to an extreme.

21 hours ago, Eater of Worlds said:

The daughter-in-law found her in the car, breastfeeding the doll.  When the mother realized she had been found out, she screamed things like the DIL was ruining everything.

Wow.  That's a MIL story that's going to be hard to beat.

what the hell have i stumbled into? now i'm going to have to drag the hubs into this when he comes home ... he is not so exciting about being pulled into another cringey rabbit hole, but he said if i make him some pb&j's he'll go along with me. pretty cheap price, i think, for pulling someone into the madness with me.

Archived