IGNORED

Reborn dolls - please for the love of god talk about them here!

quiversR4hunting

Britton wouldn't creep me out so much if it weren't for the over the top cutesy "speech." Has that women ever spoken with an actual child?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see its practical use in a situation where there's a small child and another baby is expected.  This would help him/her understand how the new baby will look and how to care for it. 

Dreaming of a mash-up between this magnificent thread and the Magnolia Pearl moldapalooza. Maybe have one of the models hold a reborn doll wearing a Magnolia Pearl creation in size 0-3M. Did I go too far?

Ok, so this was in a Buzzfeed thread this morning. Just gonna leave them here in all their green glory. :D

E39F87B2-8776-4752-8591-F33D2B4A9B43.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Lillymuffin said:

Ok, so this was in a Buzzfeed thread this morning. Just gonna leave them here in all their green glory. :D

Why?  Just WHY?

Is there absolutely NOTHING else that needs to be done in this person's life that they have the time and money for this???  I can assign a few tasks in mine if they are this bored.

21 hours ago, AuntCloud said:

Dreaming of a mash-up between this magnificent thread and the Magnolia Pearl moldapalooza. Maybe have one of the models hold a reborn doll wearing a Magnolia Pearl creation in size 0-3M. Did I go too far?

Not reborns, but that look is actually somewhat popular for dolls. I kind of love that aesthetic in doll clothing, myself, though I'm not a fan of the mumps-and-consumption look some of the faces have.

I just want to thank whomever started this whole discussion because there is nothing I love more than learning about a new crazy hobby and I had no idea this one existed before yesterday.  And I say "crazy" without judgement because I am of the opinion that pretty much all hobbies are crazy when you look at them closely enough.

A good friend's wife went to the hospital to give birth yesterday and I'm sure I will be getting a picture today.  I hope my reaction is "oh what a beautiful baby" and not "can you provide incontrovertible evidence she's real?"

On 14/05/2018 at 6:29 PM, Lillymuffin said:

KILL THEM WITH FIRE OH MY FUCKING WORD WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE THINGS

I think they’re supposed to be baby Ninja Turtles? They are truly, truly hideous, though. 

I have been lurking for like 10 years and had to create an account to reply to this!
Search youtube for the lady who takes her reborn twins on a Disney Cruise.  (I am at work so I can't open YT to link)
I can't imagine I would want to spend my whole cruise taking care of two fake babies instead of relaxing and enjoying myself!

3 hours ago, portraitpixie said:

I have been lurking for like 10 years and had to create an account to reply to this!
Search youtube for the lady who takes her reborn twins on a Disney Cruise.  (I am at work so I can't open YT to link)
I can't imagine I would want to spend my whole cruise taking care of two fake babies instead of relaxing and enjoying myself!

Oooh, I'll have to check that out later.

I admittedly have taken a doll (the one in my avatar, actually) to Walt Disney World with me. However, she's small and stayed in my bag, only to come out for photos every so often. I'm planning to take a doll or two to the beach later this summer, also. Again... for photos. Then they stay put away the rest of the time. I happily carry them around the park or botanical garden during a doll meet while taking photos, and have taken them shopping before (when looking for doll accessories and furniture, so as to better judge the size). So I'm cool with taking dolls places, and it is fun to take travel photos with dolls sometimes. But then I also don't pretend they are real.

My brother had a teddy bear we used to do travel photos with. My favorite was the teddy by the pool, wearing a nose clip so he wouldn't get water up his nose. 

22 hours ago, portraitpixie said:

When you search YouTube for reborns on Disney Cruises there are actually multiple options!  I watched the first few minutes of the lady with the twins and I love that she complains that one of them has issues falling asleep.  I think if I made up fake personalities for my baby dolls I would make sure they're good sleepers.

23 hours ago, portraitpixie said:

Welcome!  Amazing what brings people out of lurkerdom at fj.

And I never could have imagined that reborn dolls were a THING; it's amazing how the internet reveals amazing American subcultures and what needs those subcultures meet.  Like, um, fj. 

2 hours ago, Frumper said:

When you search YouTube for reborns on Disney Cruises there are actually multiple options!  I watched the first few minutes of the lady with the twins and I love that she complains that one of them has issues falling asleep.  I think if I made up fake personalities for my baby dolls I would make sure they're good sleepers.

The ones I watched were by user RebornXcess
I love how her mom just plays along ... like NBD

My (probably too long) input on this topic.

First, full disclosure:  I own a reborn.  I fell down the rabbit hole a little over three years ago and discovered there were some of them that I really loved.  I saved for six months and bought one (not new, from her former owner).  She was/is in outstanding condition; I paid less than half of what she was worth.  She is a sleeping baby; most of the awake ones don't do anything for me with a couple of exceptions.  

My interaction with the doll goes in fits and spurts; sometimes I dress her and pose her every day, sometimes I don't touch her for two weeks or more.  I limit her wardrobe to what fits in a decorative storage box that's about 14" square, otherwise it could get out of control quickly, lol.  Buying cute newborn clothing and knowing that it will not get dirty nor will the "baby" ever outgrow it is fun, I admit.  

I would never take her out in public, and I am extremely accommodating when it comes to my immediate family.  My husband is "meh" about her and just wants me to be happy, so he doesn't have a problem with it.  My sons (adults, out of the house) are very creeped out by her, so I make sure she's not out in the living room when they come over.  My daughters (20 and 17) LOVE her and sometimes want to hold her or dress her.  

I will say this emphatically:  these dolls can be GREAT for anxiety.  If I am having a bad day or feel a panic attack coming on, I can sit down in my rocker with my doll and after a few minutes I'm calm and peaceful.  I don't know if the weight and size trigger that mothering hormone (the name escapes me at the moment), but I'd be willing to bet that's the case, at least sometimes.

I agree with the consensus here that expecting strangers in public to interact with and accept your "baby" is going WAY too far.  I would never, EVER take my doll out in public portraying her as a real baby.  I took her to my therapist right after I got her because he wanted to see her, but she was wrapped in a blanket and in a tote bag.  

In your own home though - go for it!  And if you're willing to let your freak flag fly on youtube, I guess go for that too - just don't ask me to watch.  There are some people I have seen on forums who have really stunning collections of dolls and also collect antique baby clothing, furniture, toys, etc. and set up beautiful photo shoots.   I enjoy looking at those.  

Wow., Today, Dear Prudie had a letter involving what is obviously a reborn doll. https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/05/when-youre-questioning-having-children-because-of-past-addiction-problems-and-more-advice-from-dear-prudie.html (Third letter). 

I've come to the conclusion that, really, it's the person, not the hobby. If some of these people weren't shoving their reborn dolls in people's faces, it would be a dog, or crazy diet mentality, or something.

On 5/19/2018 at 7:28 AM, mango_fandango said:

KILL THEM WITH FIRE OH MY FUCKING WORD WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE THINGS

Sorry for the re-quote, but I just realized what I should have said the first time. They’re just little green bonles of jore! :pb_lol:

On 5/9/2018 at 7:43 PM, FundieFarmer said:

I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO REACT WHEN THIS HAPPENS TO ME

I was at Knotts (a theme park) this weekend and two people were there with a sit and stand stroller. One of the adults was riding in the stand part of the stroller. Then I notice that there are two doll feet sticking out of the sit part of the stroller. I didn't think much of it until they got out the dolls, "changed" them on the ground, fed them fake bottles, and then got out a little first aid kit when one of the dolls bumped its chin against the voting ballot box. They carried them around for a while and put them on their shoulders for the hoedown, until they eventually stuck them back in the stroller. Some kids went up to them and thought it was great. I think most adults thought it was strange. I was sad they were regular looking dolls and not reborns. 

I think I have spent way too much time reading this thread and on reddit. I feel like it followed me into real life. To each their own, I guess. 

On 5/14/2018 at 1:16 PM, Alisamer said:

Not reborns, but that look is actually somewhat popular for dolls. I kind of love that aesthetic in doll clothing, myself, though I'm not a fan of the mumps-and-consumption look some of the faces have.

...the everlovingfuck did I just see?

On 5/22/2018 at 10:54 AM, danvillebelle said:

She is a sleeping baby; most of the awake ones don't do anything for me with a couple of exceptions.  

Those freak me out the most. They look like DEAD babies. :(

I have one. I bring it out to hold when I’m feeling sad about the babies I’ve lost. My kids play with it sometimes and once they started hiding it from me I decided to shelf it because it was obviously disturbing them. 

Its not something I take outside or on outings or anything but it does provide some comfort when I’m feeling distressed. Now it only comes out when I’m alone and need to process the grief. I don’t think having one is unhealthy for me but I can see how it might be for others. It’s not as comforting as holding one of my dogs though so I tend to spend time with my animals.

1 hour ago, Krissy said:

I have one. I bring it out to hold when I’m feeling sad about the babies I’ve lost.

I can understand that. I have a couple of "designated" stuffed toys that I sometimes hug when I'm thinking about my 2 miscarriages. It's like I'm sending a hug to the 2 little people I never got to meet.

I have become semi-obsessed with a couple of these youtube channels now and have spent way too much time watching them.  Some of these people have SO MUCH stuff for these babies -  nice nursery furniture, hundred of pacifiers and hair bows, shopping hauls where they buy 50 outfits at a time.  I mean I'm truly not judging, if they have the money and want to buy baby stuff with it that's their business, but wow do they put a lot of money into this hobby.  It's not just the cost of the dolls.  And of course any hobby can be extremely expensive if you really get into it.

Hubs watches a lot of TV.  If I'm watching a scene where there's a newborn baby, I always watch carefully to see if it's a baby or a reborn.  Reborns would so much cheaper and easier than trying to find a baby and a baby wrangler, and then wait for the baby to stop crying to shoot the scene. 

Archived