IGNORED

Reborn dolls - please for the love of god talk about them here!

quiversR4hunting

You know, some of the dolls I've seen in this thread are impressive works of art and not creepy at all to me. I definitely don't have a phobia. 

...But there is just something about Britton that makes my whole body react. Looking at it is just...I want to run. I want to run far away really fast. The dialogue on those posts makes it even worse. Something deep in my brain is convinced that thing is alive and means me harm. 

*shudders* 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw one in real life today! I don't think I've ever seen one before and then right after reading about them here I saw someone carrying one. I thought it was a real baby at first and it was definitely a creepy feeling when I realized that it was a doll.

To add to the ick factor?

One of the companies the uber awful evil creepy Kingston Clan runs? Is a Reborn company. Bountiful Baby.

I saw one in real life today! I don't think I've ever seen one before and then right after reading about them here I saw someone carrying one. I thought it was a real baby at first and it was definitely a creepy feeling when I realized that it was a doll.

TELL US MORE

I NEED TO KNOW MORE

I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO REACT WHEN THIS HAPPENS TO ME

4 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I wonder if that's what Bro Gary looked like when he was a baby?

You have a point, though I think little Roadkill looks smarter.

1 hour ago, applejack said:

One of the companies the uber awful evil creepy Kingston Clan runs? Is a Reborn company. Bountiful Baby.

Omg really?!? I knew it was an uber conservative group they belonged to (they all had a zillion kids) and now that I’m thinking of it I’d heard rumors of polygamy...but I didn’t know it was the Kingston Clan. 

Yikes. I bought stuff from them. Ick.

My brain is overwhelmed with sooooooooooo many conflicting thoughts. So. Many. Thoughts.

The sheer WTF did I just see of the surgery video. The really hilarios and strange rabbit hole of Britton. Admiration for some very, very detailed art work Fortunately I have the necessary supplies to explore this world - pizza, cookie dough AND alcohol. 

I don’t think the emotional attachment bothers me. It seems harmless ( except the ones who neglect their family to focus on their dolls ) - but that could be said of ANY hobby / therapy / attachment. People spend boat loads of cash on far more frivolous ( to me ) activities - 

not for me though. But if it makes someone happy, why not?

Y'all, I'm howling at that faux delivery video! There's so much WTF happening.

The "I don't want to be here" expression on the "nurse's" face. The fake umbilical cords. The open back surgical gown with a tank top underneath. When the "nurse" doesn't know which clamps or anything else to hand over, nor does she know how to open a bandage. The "doctor" trying to adjust her mask with who knows what on her gloves. When she had to remind the "nurse" to wear gloves for surgery.

This is comedy gold. Those "babies" are fugly, though. Bless their faux hearts.

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

It seems harmless ( except the ones who neglect their family to focus on their dolls ) - but that could be said of ANY hobby / therapy / attachment.

I think it might be harmless (barring neglect) up to the point where people are using the "baby" as a prop to impose their mental bullshit on others who aren't into the same bullshit.

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

I think it might be harmless (barring neglect) up to the point where people are using the "baby" as a prop to impose their mental bullshit on others who aren't into the same bullshit.

The photos I'm amazed/horrified at are the ones with other family members having to interact with the dolls, and looking really unhappy about it.   Bad enough that people rope in these people who obviously really don't want any part of it, but then to post it online??

6 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Now I’m terrified I’ll actually see one in real life. THEY’RE OUT THERE, PEOPLE!!!! 

5 hours ago, applejack said:

Now I’m imaging those babies (especially Britton) as bounty hunters. THANKS FOR THE NIGHTMARES!!!

My first introduction to these dolls was negative, thus I find it hard to see the positives in them now. I know it’s biased (or maybe closed minded) but it was such a sad and upsetting thing to see - and I only ‘watched’ online. About 15 years ago I belonged to a forum where someone had an early miscarriage and got a reborn doll to help her ‘heal’. We were all super close and we grieved with and for her. It was incredibly traumatic to watch from the sidelines so I can only imagine how much worse it would have been for her IRL. I hope she found a healthy way to process her loss. The reborn doll was not healthy for her at all :( 

So I agree that some of these are beautiful works of art, and I'm surprised at just how realistic they look. 

My question is for those that take it above a hobby or toy and pretend it's a real baby... do they do anything? I remember in high school for Health class we had to take care of dolls for a few days and it cried at random times and such, so I'm wondering if these dolls do that? Or if the owners just think they're exceptionally quiet, well behaved babies LOL

When I saw the doll yesterday I was leaving the hospital I work at and I saw a woman who was maybe in her 60s being pushed in a wheelchair and holding a baby. I did a bit of a double take because the baby didn't look like it was being held securely, then I noticed that the baby was actually a hyper-realistic doll. I'm not judging the woman because obviously I have no idea what's going on with her, but thinking it was a real baby and then realizing it was a doll gave me this visceral, creepy feeling. Uncanny valley maybe?

I absolutely love this doll:

Screenshot_2018-05-10-12-20-07-1.png.0b2cf80a3801379341276bfae034ec11.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_2018-05-10-12-20-22-1.png.9e10f4c2df25a07e0d4193db37052cfc.png

Throw some glasses on him, and he'd look just like Andy from Little Britain:

Screenshot_2018-05-10-12-22-06-1.png.e2c3115a2cc02f193b5566289aa4069c.png

11 hours ago, Lurky said:

The photos I'm amazed/horrified at are the ones with other family members having to interact with the dolls, and looking really unhappy about it.   Bad enough that people rope in these people who obviously really don't want any part of it, but then to post it online??

Oh, it definitely has potential for being super unhealthy after a point - but I’m thinking of it like, say alcohol, or love of a sport, or a political view or loving expensive shoes, any of those could have a range of impact from casual interest to full-on reality distorting obsession.  

The ones who take it really seriously and don’t have other people in their life they are neglecting / torturing, and still manage to eat and pay their bills - whatever makes you happy. Kind of like the difference between having an after-dinner drink to relax and occassionally being a sloppy, annoying drunk At a party - vs - getting sloshed every night, skipping the bills, and daily berating anyone within earshot.

A friend posted a picture of her 2 or 3 month old baby on another group I belong to today, and as I scrolled down the page and started to see the picture, my first reaction was "OMFG! IT'S ONE OF THOSE GODDAMN DOLLS!"

Just a initial gut reaction; she really does have an adorable infant.

14 hours ago, adidas said:

My first introduction to these dolls was negative, thus I find it hard to see the positives in them now. I know it’s biased (or maybe closed minded) but it was such a sad and upsetting thing to see - and I only ‘watched’ online. About 15 years ago I belonged to a forum where someone had an early miscarriage and got a reborn doll to help her ‘heal’. We were all super close and we grieved with and for her. It was incredibly traumatic to watch from the sidelines so I can only imagine how much worse it would have been for her IRL. I hope she found a healthy way to process her loss. The reborn doll was not healthy for her at all :( 

I am reminded of a story my daughter told me about after she read it on Creepy Pasta's website. The mom was given a doll to help her cope until they had a baby, then the story ends badly because she thinks she breaks the doll.  That has been what I keep thinking of since I started reading this thread.

What a rabbit hole to fall in. I don't mind the dolls, but how some people use them...sweet Jesus. :wtsf:

11 hours ago, General Jinjur said:

I absolutely love this doll:

Screenshot_2018-05-10-12-20-07-1.png.0b2cf80a3801379341276bfae034ec11.png

Hide contents

Screenshot_2018-05-10-12-20-22-1.png.9e10f4c2df25a07e0d4193db37052cfc.png

Throw some glasses on him, and he'd look just like Andy from Little Britain:

Screenshot_2018-05-10-12-22-06-1.png.e2c3115a2cc02f193b5566289aa4069c.png

Literally laughing so much I'm crying!

8 hours ago, General Jinjur said:

They're coming to get you Barbara.

Screenshot_2018-05-11-13-53-20-1.png.aefe7d4a901e6792c7ee9621d872cb4d.png

Those are truly ugly. :smiley-signs131:

I had a friend in college who had reborns that she dressed up and did photoshoots of, but rarely mentioned. She stopped talking about it when she had children but then suddenly last week she posted a photoshoot of her reborn baby on facebook. This thread has me dying to ask her more about her hobby but now I'm also scared to know.

I was reading a magazine yesterday which contained an advert for a reborn doll that "breathes" and "coos". I would find that extremely creepy, even more than a normal doll that's quiet and doesn't move. (It wasn't a serious magazine, just a trashy type that is a sort-of guilty pleasure).

Archived