IGNORED

Raquel Strikes Again

dripcurl

16 hours ago, dripcurl said:

Raquel is the perfect candidate to be shilling Young Living, going to some random Reformed church to show how enlightened she is, and have tasteless tattoos.

She does crystals too. :pb_rollseyes: She latches onto anything that she thinks will make her look special even if combining them all doesn't make a lot of sense. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Why do these people come to BC and Washington?  I never met these sorts in Toronto.    

The mild weather attracts them.

• Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...

Raquel has not posted to Instragram in a long while, and her Stories are few and far between. However, it appears today that she is in Los Angeles eating tons and tons of expensive food. That seems to be the long and short of the trip.

I am not sure why she is so cagey these days, you would think that since she seems to now be involved with the Bethel Redding nonsense that she would try a tad harder on her social media presence in order to gain a reputation among the young eligible bachelors of that scene. She was really getting into a more metaphysical practice in her faith, but then totally dropped any form of consistent updates on herself. All that said I think a scene like Bethel is the only thing left for Raquel, she has exhausted her clout among online fundie maidens and the varying Christian circles in Portland she bounced around in for the past few years. She still seems to grasp at the some Reformed straws, but I am convinced that is only because it makes her feel special... “I was CHOSEN”

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, dripcurl said:

I am not sure why she is so cagey these days, you would think that since she seems to now be involved with the Bethel Redding nonsense that she would try a tad harder on her social media presence in order to gain a reputation among the young eligible bachelors of that scene. She was really getting into a more metaphysical practice in her faith, but then totally dropped any form of consistent updates on herself. All that said I think a scene like Bethel is the only thing left for Raquel, she has exhausted her clout among online fundie maidens and the varying Christian circles in Portland she bounced around in for the past few years. She still seems to grasp at the some Reformed straws, but I am convinced that is only because it makes her feel special... “I was CHOSEN”

I've googled around, but I can't find where she's posting now. Can you point to where she's mentioned Bethel Redding? *thanks*

I know nothing about Bethel Redding, so I looked it up. Sharing quotes from Wikipedia in case anyone else is interested:

"Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry
In the fall of 1998, Bethel Church began Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry, under the direction of Kris Vallotton, Bethel's senior associate pastor.[5] The normal program is one academic year and students have the opportunity to return for a second and third year. Approximately 15% of the students stay for the full three years. The school was founded with 36 students, and in 2010 and 2016 the school enrollment numbered over 1,200 and 2,000 students, respectively.[2][5] They are an unaccredited program and do not offer a degree or credits but a certificate.[10]"

"Criticism

Since Bill Johnson took over as head pastor in 1996, Bethel has received criticism in both the local community and by other Christian organizations for their beliefs, practices, and usage of church funds.

Claims of healing and other miracles

People associated with Bethel, including the pastor, have made many statements about miracles and healing that have taken place at the church, including gold dust appearing in the auditorium [1] and people being brought back from the dead.[12]

Usage of funds

In April 2017, Bethel offered to donate $500,000 to the city of Redding to assist in funding the salary for police officers. Some in the community thought the church was trying to pay off the city for future building permits, an assertion Pastor Kris Vallotton refuted at a city council meeting. The city ultimately voted to receive the donation.[13] Shortly after receiving the donation, Redding City Council, which includes several Bethel members, unanimously approved a $96 million new campus for Bethel, despite dozens of formally submitted citizen concerns.[14]"

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, dripcurl said:

However, it appears today that she is in Los Angeles eating tons and tons of expensive food. That seems to be the long and short of the trip.

Has Raquel found herself a sugar daddy? 

I know she behaves terrible, but on some level I feel very sorry for Raquel. She was raised to think she was super, duper special. More special than even other fundies. She didn't need an education because she was naturally so smart that no one needed to teach her. She was going to be able to write a best selling book with no effort. She was going to find the perfect man and have the perfect child all by the time she was 20. Raquel is Jill Rod. if Jill hadn't gotten married so young and had been more mainstream. They both are incapable of keeping friends, are desperate for adoration, and have this sense that they are so much better than everyone else. 

The book deal didn't come for Raquel. I'm not even sure she even was able to finish one of her books. The perfect husband didn't come. The baby didn't come. She went to take one college class and it is obvious that was too much for her, but I bet she would never admit it. No one(besides us) read her blog. No one bought her self published book of poetry. She was just one of many people who work at coffee shops. She tried to stand out by getting lots of tattoos and acting like they had very deep meanings, more deep than other people's tattoos. 

And now she has found some really strange church to latch onto in hopes it will make her feel special and superior again. It won't, at least not forever. Raquel will just be one of many members who are in their 20's, has tattoos, and works at a coffee shop. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

Raquel posts to Instagram Stories on a semi-regular basis.  yes, she was silent for a while.  To see IG stories you have to be a follower.

For those to lazy/busy to google - what is Bethel Redding?  

Raquel published a book of pomes and I believe was working on a second.  Based on my limited knowledge of the publishing industry (I write fiction as a hobby) - she was very likely self-published on that book of Pomes.  And poetry doesn't really sell.  So unless you were to make a huge media splash, it is unlikely anyone would get a book deal off of pomes.  And she's ignored magic penis ferrets and Xaqurie for a long time (translation - she isn't writing fiction that we know of)

Add me to she has a sugar daddy of some sort.  (of the not boyfriend variety)

• Upvote 3

Any idea from her stories how long she has been in California? 

37 minutes ago, clueliss said:

For those to lazy/busy to google - what is Bethel Redding?  

It seems like a pretty far out there cult. They claim that a "glory cloud" comes into the church. From videos it is obviously gold glitter being blown about. It seems like something Raquel would be into. 

Spoiler

They believe each member has a  supernatural ministry. I can see why this would appeal to Raquel. 

Supernatural Ministry
Every believer is a supernatural minister of the gospel of power. All ministry flows from the prayer “Thy kingdom come... on earth as it is in heaven.” We equip and send the church to carry on the signs and wonders that followed Jesus.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

Maybe a week tops.  Granted most of what she posts from said trip is food pics.  (and I'm not ever a fan of anyone's food pics)

• Upvote 5

Here is another weird thing about Bethel. As strange as this place is, it is easy to see why Raquel would be drawn to it. It is stands out and is different than most churches, but still teaches the same stuff like being anti-gay. She gets the joy of being "different" while also not really having to change her beliefs. 

http://www.piratechristian.com/messedupchurch/2018/1/the-fire-tunnel-encounter-gospel-of-bethel-redding-and-the-nar-explained

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Here is another weird thing about Bethel. As strange as this place is, it is easy to see why Raquel would be drawn to it. It is stands out and is different than most churches, but still teaches the same stuff like being anti-gay. She gets the joy of being "different" while also not really having to change her beliefs. 

http://www.piratechristian.com/messedupchurch/2018/1/the-fire-tunnel-encounter-gospel-of-bethel-redding-and-the-nar-explained

i watched a bunch of videos from that link and was feeling really...some way about them. the world tilted a bit, those people sound almost right/okay for a few seconds...but you know they're crazy. and then i saw a link for and watched "best eugene moments in the try guys" and all is right again

• Upvote 2

@Petronella I only knew she went to one of their conferences because she posted it on her Instagram Story a few weeks ago, and unfortunately thise expire after 24 hours and I have no screenshots. @formergothardite I agree with you on all levels. @clueliss Sorry for not providing more details but I think there is enough info on here this morning. I thought I once saw a thread here about it.

I have known several fundie families to dip their toes into Bethel, and they have large Single’s Retreats, to which I have declined an invitation to multiple times. It is very culty and people will sometimes rearrange their entire lives to be around that church. The whole “glory cloud” concept is widespread in one way or another through various Pentecostal denominations and entities in the way of God’s presence/the Holy Spirit supposedly floating around and staying in special places.

Edited by dripcurl
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

To say that Raquel is emotionally unequipped to be a stepmother would be the understatement of the year. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 12

Is she nannying these days? It looks like she is perhaps traveling with the family she nannies for. I cropped the pic on purpose because no telling who lurks here. Edited faces by me.

800A8725-D805-42D6-A435-2F3B5DA46907.jpeg

• Upvote 2

I want to say - maybe - that she does have a nanny job picked up say June or so.  There have been random pics in her stories of kids.  

• Upvote 3

Maybe it's just that I'm old(ish), but I find it odd that other people appear in her pictures only as accesories to her selfies. I guess I see social media as a place to share pictures you take, so I have pictures of other people in mine (and oh, so many pictures of my dog) where I don't appear. I'm fine with people who post nothing but selfies, but sut she has more pictures of herself taken by other people than she does non-selfie images she's taken. 

• Upvote 5

On 9/12/2018 at 10:05 AM, formergothardite said:

It seems like a pretty far out there cult. They claim that a "glory cloud" comes into the church. From videos it is obviously gold glitter being blown about. It seems like something Raquel would be into. 

And how.  I think Raquel is a conceited facile little fool but I hope she's not pulled into the Bethel Redding mess.  Miraculous healing, clouds of glitter, and all.

I usually find Bruce Gerencser reliable.  He thinks Bethel Redding is dangerous.

https://brucegerencser.net/2016/02/bethel-redding-dangerous-evangelical-cult/

(Scroll down the article to the video link at the bottom for a veritable clash of the titans.  An earnest Fundie trying to save from false conversion a laughing hyena of a Bethel Redding convert flying high on God's love.)

• Upvote 4

Fun fact, just last night I visited a church for the 3rd time, and a friendly girl who also just moved to town struck up a convo and was delighted to tell me that she loves this church because it reminds her of Bethel. Great. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, dripcurl said:

Fun fact, just last night I visited a church for the 3rd time, and a friendly girl who also just moved to town struck up a convo and was delighted to tell me that she loves this church because it reminds her of Bethel. Great. 

Run like the wind, my friend.  Run like the wind.

• Upvote 6

Finally, other people who have experienced the HORROR of Bethel. It sucks people in like no other Christian thing I've ever seen. A 'friend' from my church went on the course, and now all she seems to do is beg for money on Facebook to travel the world and perform miraculous healings. There are literally people there who go into mortuaries and try to raise the dead. They don't seem to be worshipping God, but worshipping themselves and their own perceived power - it's never in the picture that God might not give divine revalation at that exact moment, that he might not heal someone on the spot, or that he might have plans contrary to the Bethel way of thinking. It's a cult, plain and simple.

It is however a cult that seems to revolve around making you think that YOU are the best, but dependent on the group power to harness your amazing abilities. Or something. Anyway it's incredibly millennial in its outlook, built for the me-me-me look-at-me generation and it wouldn't at all surprise me if Raquel fell for that.

Also their singles online course is $80. That's just an e-course. They must be raking it in.

Edited by YellowLadybird
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, YellowLadybird said:

It is however a cult that seems to revolve around making you think that YOU are the best, but dependent on the group power to harness your amazing abilities. Or something. Anyway it's incredibly millennial in its outlook, built for the me-me-me look-at-me generation and it wouldn't at all surprise me if Raquel fell for that.

I find what you say about Bethel fascinating; thank you!

But I'm not a fan of millennial bashing. Writing off an entire generation as me-me-me is not at all accurate, and just a knee-jerk "kids these days" that has been said about new generations from the beginning of history.

Signed, a gen-xer with baby boomer siblings and gen-z kids

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 1

Raquel isn't really a millennial anyway. She's on the millenial/gen-z border. I can point to plenty of people from baby boomers down to babies who are all "me-me-me." It's not a generational thing at all. 

I'd heard of Bethel in passing, but didn't know much about it before this thread. It's... different. (Those of you who are also from the Northern Midwest will know what I mean by that). I can see the "you're special" aspect appealing to Raquel, but the idea that everyone can be just as special I think she would find a turn off. She's not the type to be content to be one among many. 

• Upvote 8

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked and locked this topic