IGNORED

Turpins 4: 2 Monsters, 13 Victims and Now an Interview!

Coconut Flan

On 11/21/2021 at 10:20 PM, zee_four said:

Its the fault of the police and prosecutors especially in small towns, who don't give a fuck about DV and do nothing to help stop it. Its the fault of toxic masculinity that is festering and growing like a pus filled wound and instead of being stopped, the highest levels of the US government are legitimizing the violence it breeds. There will only be more violence and murder as a result and there's no end in site currently, in fact it only is getting worse. And all women suffer from it, privilege or not. 

When I searched "domestic violence is the canary in the coal mine" on twitter multiple tweets popped up linking domestic violence to mass casualty events relative to the horrible event in Wisconsin.  Here's one: 

and one more 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 12

On 11/22/2021 at 6:08 AM, smittykins said:

I read a book once(the name escapes me now)that claimed that several neighbors called NYC’s version of Child Protective Services(including the very first day Lisa was brought into the Steinberg/Nussbaum apartment), but nothing was done.

The first day! I didn't know that. But Steinberg lived in a NYC apartment, and old one. Neighbors could hear everything, and they did. There' were lots of calls to CPS (or whatever the equivalent to CPS was back then). 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

The first day! I didn't know that. But Steinberg lived in a NYC apartment, and old one. Neighbors could hear everything, and they did. There' were lots of calls to CPS (or whatever the equivalent to CPS was back then). 

Steinberg is a monster. ON the surface he appeared to adore Lisa, then behind closed doors..... I remember there being some rumor that it was Hedda who actually killed Lisa. 

• Sad 3

Steinberg doesn’t even own up what he did to Lisa. When he got out of prison, Hedda went into hiding because she was so afraid. He had beat her to hell along with Lisa.

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Steinberg is a monster. ON the surface he appeared to adore Lisa, then behind closed doors..... I remember there being some rumor that it was Hedda who actually killed Lisa. 

No, doctors decided there was no chance of that. Hedda was too weak and battered herself to have killed Lisa in the way she was killed.

On the surface there were plenty of signs too. People just ignored them because he was a white lawyer. One person saw him lift Lisa up, the way you'd do with a little child, then drop her. Lisa fell, then asked "Why'd you do that Daddy?" Steinberg replied that she was too heavy. Another time, a friend saw him deny Lisa food the entire day, then when she asked for a sandwich, he threw one at her.

She came to school dirty and was often absent. Her hair was disshelved and clumps were missing. She honestly doesn't sound like an adored child at all.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Steinberg doesn’t even own up what he did to Lisa. When he got out of prison, Hedda went into hiding because she was so afraid. He had beat her to hell along with Lisa.

Hedda is quite a narcissist, too. She moans and groans that she'd be happy if she "still had her children." She seems to have no guilt.

I understand she was battered, but that doesn't excuse everything. There are narcissists who can also be victims.

She wrote a book about what happened, and she put a picture of HER battered face on the cover instead of her dead daughter, as though she was the only victim. She speaks quite highly of Steinberg in the book, calling him "handsome" etc

In one interview, she quibbled about whether the illegal adoption was really illegal or just "uncompleted." She said she "did't like to say it was illegal, it was just never completed"

She fled from Steinberg six times but never took the children with her. She wrote affectionate letters Steinberg in the  months following the murder.

Not all battered women are like Hedda. She was a narcissist as well as Steinberg.

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

No, doctors decided there was no chance of that. Hedda was too weak and battered herself to have killed Lisa in the way she was killed.

On the surface there were plenty of signs too. People just ignored them because he was a white lawyer. One person saw him lift Lisa up, the way you'd do with a little child, then drop her. Lisa fell, then asked "Why'd you do that Daddy?" Steinberg replied that she was too heavy. Another time, a friend saw him deny Lisa food the entire day, then when she asked for a sandwich, he threw one at her.

She came to school dirty and was often absent. Her hair was disshelved and clumps were missing. She honestly doesn't sound like an adored child at all.

Of course she wasn't adored. In the earlier days she was clean and things seemed "okay". And yes, him being a white lawyer, people didn't question. Hedda used to take Lisa into work with her. I don't think people initially had any idea what was happening. When Hedda quit working things deteriorated rapidly. At least when she was going into work, people could "see" warning signs. Once she stopped, the door to that apartment closed and all hell broke loose.  If you look at early pictures of Hedda with Lisa, it doesn't even look like the same woman.

And I just mentioned the rumors. I don't think she could have killed her, but there was something going on with her relationship with Joel that was not healthy on either side. I don't know. 

5 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Hedda is quite a narcissist, too. She moans and groans that she'd be happy if she "still had her children." She seems to have no guilt.

I understand she was battered, but that doesn't excuse everything. There are narcissists who can also be victims.

She wrote a book about what happened, and she put a picture of HER battered face on the cover instead of her dead daughter, as though she was the only victim. She speaks quite highly of Steinberg in the book, calling him "handsome" etc

In one interview, she quibbled about whether the illegal adoption was really illegal or just "uncompleted." She said she "did't like to say it was illegal, it was just never completed"

She fled from Steinberg six times but never took the children with her. She wrote affectionate letters Steinberg in the  months following the murder.

Not all battered women are like Hedda. She was a narcissist as well as Steinberg.

Exactly what I was trying to convey. I think there was a sadomasochistic bent to their relationship. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

From what I've read of the case, Steinberg & Nussbaum had a deeply sick, pathological relationship in which their respective psychological issues just fed off the other person's in an endless cycle of abuse. They obviously should never have been allowed to bring any child into that situation.

That said, Steinberg is responsible for his years of abusing Nussbaum to the point of repeated injuries, but they are BOTH responsible for what they did to those children. I get why Nussbaum wasn't charged since she was the primary witness to what happened in that house of horrors, but she probably deserved to be charged, convicted & imprisoned for her crimes as well.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

16 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

From what I've read of the case, Steinberg & Nussbaum had a deeply sick, pathological relationship in which their respective psychological issues just fed off the other person's in an endless cycle of abuse. They obviously should never have been allowed to bring any child into that situation.

That said, Steinberg is responsible for his years of abusing Nussbaum to the point of repeated injuries, but they are BOTH responsible for what they did to those children. I get why Nussbaum wasn't charged since she was the primary witness to what happened in that house of horrors, but she probably deserved to be charged, convicted & imprisoned for her crimes as well.

I remember when the case was going on many people believed that. I think her disappearing isn't just running away from Joel, it is also running away from what she was with him and running away from the scrutiny that followed her. I don't think she ever wanted Lisa nor did she care about her very much. It was all to make Joel happy. What he wanted he got. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

12 hours ago, Howl said:

When I searched "domestic violence is the canary in the coal mine" on twitter multiple tweets popped up linking domestic violence to mass casualty events relative to the horrible event in Wisconsin.  Here's one: 

and one more 

I can't like this enough times  to express how vital your spot on assessment of the core issue that's at the heart of almost all the horrifying extremist hyper bipartisan violence tearing apart American democracy today. And not only that its become increasingly legitimized on both extremes. I do not support TERF ideology but I also can't help but notice the vitrol and disgust and villifying of TERFs by the far left, as though they are the real enemies of humanity. But when it comes to Trump, his devotees, incels, even horrifically anti LGBTQ and trans alt right women like Marjorie Taylor Green and Lauren Boebertt, its as if they're a footnote or an aside while TERFs are the real enemy uniting the far left like no one else, the one group undeserving of the most basic level of respect as fellow human beings. Its expected of the far right, incels, MAGA brownshirts and the like reserve special levels of hatred and terrifying anger for AOC and Pelosi far beyond even male PoC like Obama...  and that's saying something. The hate against women who dare speak up, who question, who lead is so... animalistic,  it's scary. 

I keep trying to avoid the news so I don't get myself worked up into a manic breakdown, but its everywhere. Even when I tried to read some fluff about the BRF it circled back.

This is a real headline from a judge today. In 2021.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/baltimore-cop-rape-women-prison-b1963062.html?amp&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=Feed

Women are the only people equally abhorred by both extremes and where even women are ducked into the hatred. You don't see any other religion, ethnicity, gender identity etc. that is driven to despise themselves to such an extent as women are. That violence against women is considered a non issue, applauded and the ultimate victim blaming is the start of so many of these mass murderers is no surprise. But then again its only a problem when they commit "real" crime, when they kill or attack other men or children. And even then women somehow get the blame. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

I remember the photo of her at the Halloween party at school just before she was murdered—straggly, uncombed hair, evidence of bruising on her face(even in B&W), and just the saddest look in her eyes. 😟

• Sad 3

12 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I remember the photo of her at the Halloween party at school just before she was murdered—straggly, uncombed hair, evidence of bruising on her face(even in B&W), and just the saddest look in her eyes. 😟

So do I. She looked so forlorn, you just wanted to take her in your arms and hug her. 

There was a son, Mitchell, who while abused, survived and was returned to his birth mother. I just looked him up and if it is the correct guy, he seems to be doing well. 

Both "adoptions" were illegal.

And when Joel beat Lisa that last time, he left and Hedda waited to call 911. Fear? Uncaring? 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...

The Turpins are in the news again.  Unfortunately, 5 of the younger children were placed in a foster home where they were physically and psychologically abused and at least two of the girls were sexually molested.  It appears also that one of the boys (the only minor boy, who was already doing very badly?) was particularly scapegoated.

i have no words for how sick this makes me feel. What sort of social workers were on this case?  I link the two most detailed accounts.

2 Turpin Children Molested by Foster Father

Foster Family Accused of Abusing Turpin Children and Others

We had heard that some of the children had been abused when two of the adult sisters were interviewed some months ago, but this is worse than I feared.

• Sad 10
  • WTF 1

9 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

The Turpins are in the news again.  Unfortunately, 5 of the younger children were placed in a foster home where they were physically and psychologically abused and at least two of the girls were sexually molested.  It appears also that one of the boys (the only minor boy, who was already doing very badly?) was particularly scapegoated.

i have no words for how sick this makes me feel. What sort of social workers were on this case?  I link the two most detailed accounts.

2 Turpin Children Molested by Foster Father

Foster Family Accused of Abusing Turpin Children and Others

We had heard that some of the children had been abused when two of the adult sisters were interviewed some months ago, but this is worse than I feared.

Those poor children. And apparently one of the ways the foster “parents” kept the kids compliant with the abuse was to threaten that they wouldn’t be able to see their older siblings again. Horrifying.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Those poor children. And apparently one of the ways the foster “parents” kept the kids compliant with the abuse was to threaten that they wouldn’t be able to see their older siblings again. Horrifying.

Yeah.  I hope now that attention has been drawn to this, there can be arrangements made to protect these victims properly instead of letting them be re-victimized.

I hope the youngest child (2 years old at the time the Turpins were removed from their parents) was not in that foster home.  That was the one child that had not already been abused.  It is horrible that any of them were abused, but the youngest one who had been spared so far had the best chance of a relatively normal life. Nice people would have been happy to adopt that kid.

What a twisted world we live in!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jana814 said:

How sad that those were being abused again. 

According to the interview, the younger ones were in a good foster placement after this mess.  But it is still sad.

• I Agree 2

• 3 months later...

Thirteen children who were rescued from captivity in their parents’ home in 2018 after decades of abuse were “frustrated, unheard, stifled” and “failed” by Riverside County’s social services system, according to a report issued Friday. 

Some of the younger Turpin children — who ranged in age from 2 to 29 at the time — were placed under the care of foster parents who were later charged with child abuse, according to the report issued by outside investigators hired by the county. The older children “experienced periods of housing instability and food insecurity as they transitioned to independence.” 

Many of the children also struggled with confusing legal proceedings and didn’t have immediate access to funds intended for their use, according to the eight-month investigation conducted by Larson LLP, a law firm led by former U.S. District Judge Stephen Larson.

Turpin Children Were Failed  ;LATimes 7/09/22

The investigation states that while there were many instances where the children were well-served, there were also many instances where social services and the legal system failed them.  On the positive side, it appears that the money that had been raised for the children has not been misappropriated and is accounted for.  (However, I wonder if “accounted for” merely means that there was a record of how it was spent rather than that it was spent wisely.)

It appears that of the older children, only 2 are still under state conservatorships.  I am assuming one was the second son, who was apparently the most severely abused.

There is no current information about the minors, but I think all but the three youngest (which includes the one who was a baby) may have “aged out.”

I would love to hear that the one who was a baby was placed for adoption and will have a totally normal life.  He is the only one who wasn’t tortured and starved. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

They are now suing Riverside county. I remember we all worried that they could not get the perfect care they needed to recover, but this is way worse than I feared. So depressing.

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/6-turpin-siblings-sue-riverside-county-foster-care-agency-placement-with-family-reported-abuse-neglect/#:~:text=Six of the 13 Turpin,sexually abused and tormented psychologically.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1

On 7/26/2022 at 10:36 AM, Galbin said:

They are now suing Riverside county. I remember we all worried that they could not get the perfect care they needed to recover, but this is way worse than I feared. So depressing.

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/6-turpin-siblings-sue-riverside-county-foster-care-agency-placement-with-family-reported-abuse-neglect/#:~:text=Six of the 13 Turpin,sexually abused and tormented psychologically.

Those poor babies. Heartbreaking. I hope those foster parents rot for as long as their biological parents. Terrible, terrible monsters, all of them. And to think that’s with an extremely high profile case. I can’t imagine what goes on with the average child. 

• I Agree 3