IGNORED

The Royal Wedding looms ahead

Palimpsest

1 minute ago, ShesCrafty said:

I get not liking a song (though I personally love that one). I don’t get comparing Elton John and Ben E. King on the soul scale and thinking Elton comes out the winner...

I love some Elton John, but I agree with you here. Stand By Me was beautifully done. 

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ShesCrafty said:

I get not liking a song (though I personally love that one). I don’t get comparing Elton John and Ben E. King on the soul scale and thinking Elton comes out the winner...

It’s mostly because Elton happens to be there. He’s had his blue-eyed soul moments.

8 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

How is Meaghan so calm. Amazing.

there's pills for that :my_cool:

3 minutes ago, WhiteRun said:

It's kind of jarring to hear Megans accent around all those Brits

From the interviews I've watched, she seems to have a mix of accents.

2 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Man, these posh white people must be shook. That black priest/pastor took me to church. I’m surprised nobody broke out in tongues 

I was ready to start stomping the devil 

Hahahahhahaha!!! Episcopalians get down like that? Who knew.

He was terrible. My opinion. Sorry.

Just now, LittleOwl said:

WAS THAT TOM HARDY

Yes. They mentioned him when the guests were arriving.

4 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I associate it with the 1986 movie. Never thought of it as soul music. I would have liked to hear the choir sing a rousing hymn, preferably Amazing Grace.

Many people don't care for Amazing Grace, for various reasons. If I had to guess, Stand by Me probably has some personal significance to the couple.

Just now, Blahblah said:

Yes. They mentioned him when the guests were arriving.

Ta - I'm watching it on a big screen in the pub with no sound! 

Just now, LittleOwl said:

Ta - I'm watching it on a big screen in the pub with no sound! 

I'm so jelly, even in my pajamas in my living room. 

6 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

He was terrible. My opinion. Sorry.

I thought the guy who mentioned intimacy/sexuality/sexual unity the first couple of minutes in the service was much more disturbing. I never knew I was a prude. lol :laughing-rolling:

Kate's hat and Camilla's hat more than make up for Beatrice and Eugenie...yikes. 

4 minutes ago, BemusedByFundamentalism said:

there's pills for that :my_cool:

In her case, she's pretty damn awesome here. No lie, my emotions are all over the place just by watching.

I liked the preacher, and I think his style is something probably more common in the US (I have seen it at my UU church).

But, I think the informality of it was jarring given the setting, and he did go on longer than necessary. 

I imagine, though, that he had to have his address approved before he could give it, so obviously it met with Harry and Meghan's approval. 

Meghan was like “You ‘gon see some black excellence today” 

I LIVE FOR IT! 

9 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I love some Elton John, but I agree with you here. Stand By Me was beautifully done. 

I agree. Best part so far besides the pronouncement of course.

4 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

In her case, she's pretty damn awesome here. No lie, my emotions are all over the place just by watching.

Mine too, but I am in general an emotional train wreck LOL

1 minute ago, anjulibai said:

The cellist is lovely!

And he gave me the opportinuty to go pee without missing important lovey dovey stares from the couple! Hurray for the cellist!

Hubs stayed up with me to watch the whole thing...what a guy!!! 

Love Meghan's dress, simple, understated and elegant. 

Harry is just TOO CUTE!

The preacher that gave the sermon...I loved it. Inject a little soul into the white folks!

Not digging the cello 

Just now, anjulibai said:

I liked the preacher, and I think his style is something probably more common in the US (I have seen it at my UU church).

But, I think the informality of it was jarring given the setting, and he did go on longer than necessary. 

I imagine, though, that he had to have his address approved before he could give it, so obviously it met with Harry and Meghan's approval. 

His style is not considered informal in historically black congregations. If anything, his style was muted, given the styles of preaching you can see in black Baptist, Methodist, and Pentecostal churches. I know that the Black preaching style can sound jarring to posh white ears, but the high church Anglican way of doing church is not the only way to do it.

17 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Man, these posh white people must be shook. That black priest/pastor took me to church. I’m surprised nobody broke out in tongues 

I was ready to start stomping the devil 

It. Was. Brilliant. 

2 minutes ago, BemusedByFundamentalism said:

Mine too, but I am in general an emotional train wreck LOL

Me too. I think I need sleep LOL. 

Dang, what with Charles and Camilla just then. What a look.

3 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Meghan was like “You ‘gon see some black excellence today” 

I LIVE FOR IT! 

I’m whiter than a lily, but I’m now convinced that Black Church services are the best Church services. I don’t think I’ve ever paid as much attention during any type of church service or enjoyed a sermon as much as I just did.

Just now, Cleopatra7 said:

His style is not considered informal in historically black congregations. If anything, his style was muted, given the styles of preaching you can see in black Baptist, Methodist, and Pentecostal churches. I know that the Black preaching style can sound jarring to posh white ears, but the high church Anglican way of doing church is not the only way to do it.

Obviously, not, but it's definitely different in the setting. 

I agree that he was muted in comparison to preaching I've seen in most black churches, but I think it's probably a typical style in US churches in general. It's definitely something I would expect to hear at my UU church. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived