IGNORED

The Royal Wedding looms ahead

Palimpsest

By request (and because the Royal Baby thread went to 15 whole pages) here's your thread to discuss the upcoming nuptials of Harry and Meghan.  We have 3 weeks to obsess about it.

To kick off discussion the NYT has an interactive FAQ here:  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/04/06/style/meghan-markle-prince-harry-royal-wedding.html  How accurate is it?

And some things aren't known yet, so let's roll my friends:

Which tiara is the Queen going to dig out of the vault?  Or will Harry buy Megs a new one (that's my vote)?  Or will she wear a hat because it is her second wedding (no!), or a floral wreath (Rufus forbid!)?

Who will design the dress?  Will it be a meringue?

Who will walk her down the aisle?  Not her half-brother, that's for sure.

Which uniform will Harry wear?

And who doesn't really give a shit about the royals but will watch the wedding anyway and read this thread?  :laughing-rolling:

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

And who doesn't really give a shit about the royals but will watch the wedding anyway and read this thread?

I dont give a shit and probably wont watch the wedding, but I will likely read this thread.  

Honest question, though - why is he "allowed" to marry her?  Wasnt there some scandal about someone marrying a divorce in the past?  DIdnt Charles make a big deal about finding a "virgin" to marry (diana)?  Does it just not matter because Harry is pretty much out of the running as far as his kids ever being king?

I'm so excited. I'm sleeping over at my parents, and I'll get up at 3:00 am with my mom to watch. We did the same for Will and Kate, lol. We wore tiaras and had scones for that one. We probably won't do anything extra for this one. 

I suspect that she will wear a Ralph and Russo gown, but perhaps she'll surprise us. I don't think she will wear a tiara from the Queen, but I could be wrong! I also suspect she will walk down the aisle alone, even though it's been revealed that her father will be attending the wedding, despite rumors that he wasn't even invited. 

5 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Does it just not matter because Harry is pretty much out of the running as far as his kids ever being king?

This. And Charles remarried after divorce and so did Anne.

Edward VIII abdicated because they wouldn't allow him to marry divorced Wallis* and Princess Margaret was not allowed to marry a divorced man, but times have changed.

* It was also because she had known Nazi connections (von Ribbentrop), he was pro-fascist, and he would have been a terrible king.

I want a floral wreath, and a structured lace dress! Or maybe a high-low one that allows some faboulous shoes to peak out from underneath?

Times have certainly changed, and the Queen has relaxed a little. Charles was able to finally marry Camilla, and he will likely make her Queen when he becomes King. 

I know Diana had to fill a certain criteria, but that already went out the window for Kate, who will be queen and will be producing the next heirs. She doesn't have any nobility blood, and they lived together before marriage, so it was clear she wasn't a virgin on her wedding day. If they were relaxed that much with the next in line, then it's not a big deal that Harry (who will likely never rule) marry a divorced, biracial, American woman. 

Apparently the first six in line to the throne have to ask the Queen's permission to get married. So that'd be Charles, William and Harry who are of marrying age. Given that it's 2018 and the Queen is getting on in years, I imagine she's quite permissive as far as spouses are concerned. 

From the Wiki article about succession to the British throne:

Under the 2013 Succession to the Crown Act, the first six persons in line to the throne must obtain the sovereign's approval before marrying.[16] Marriage without the Sovereign's consent disqualifies the person and the person's descendants from the marriage from succeeding to the Crown,[16] but the marriage is still legally valid.

Yes, technically Harry had to ask his grandmother formal permission to marry Meghan, but I think it was unlikely she would have said no to Meghan. 

Yes, and Prince Louis just bumped Prince Andrew down to 7th in line, so Prince Andrew no longer has to get the Queen's permission if he wants to marry again.

I got up at like 4 a.m. to watch Will and Kate's wedding and I'll definitely be doing the same for Harry and Meghan's. I don't lead a very exciting life, I like to make an event out of something random and silly and fun every once in a while. :pb_lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing her dress, bridesmaids' dresses, the kids, the guests, etc. I think it would be nice if she walked herself down the aisle, as that would make somewhat of a feminist statement* and it would avoid causing drama with her dad's side if she had her mum walk her down instead - not that her dad's side of the family isn't amazing at creating drama no matter what. I don't know much about her dad himself, but those half-siblings of hers, WOW - really awful people! Even if she is everything they say she is (which seems doubtful, they don't come across as very honest people), their behaviour is absolutely ludicrous. It's kind of funny, though, because if they'd just stayed quiet I think a lot more people would have judged her a lot more harshly for not inviting them, but they're really showing everyone exactly why she would want nothing to do with them.

*Not that it's inherently unfeminist at all to have your dad/other male relative walk you down the aisle, but given her family dynamic it wouldn't seem to make a ton of sense.

I think she'll borrow a crown, probably one worn by Diana. Not the Cambridge Lover's Knot, though, that's too big and has been worn too much by Kate. 

I also think her dress will be relatively simple, but very different from Kate's. More modern, whereas Kate's had a more vintage feel (she was definitely inspired by Grace Kelly there). No idea on a designer, but most likely British.

I think her mother will definitely be walking her up the aisle. Her father might as well - I think he will, but things have obviously been off on that side of the family. Her half-siblings, who have been really awful about all this, are definitely not going. 

I think Harry will wear a dark uniform, not red like Charles. 

To the question of why Harry is being allowed to marry an American divorcee, well times have changed. Divorce is not a big deal, and denying Harry the right to marry who he wants as his first wife, especially after his father an aunt have remarried, would bring up a ton of public backlash. Plus Meghan's first marriage was not in the Anglican Church, so to them it doesn't count like it would have for those that did marry in the church. Harry's currently 6th in line to the throne, which, while requiring permission to wed, is still well down to not matter as much. 

And most importantly, the Queen adores Harry and wants him to be happy. 

Okay, tiara prediction time. I think she'll go with Queen Mary's Cartier Bracelet Bandeau. Understated, not too pretentious, still a tiara:

Spoiler

wmKgOr.gif

The real question here, though, is which tiara would *I* wear if I found myself in a similar situation. (Because everyone wants to know that, right? Right. :pb_lol:). I would go with Queen Victoria's Sapphire Coronet tiara, which would double as my "something blue."

tumblr_inline_mf945cFc3K1ryby8q.jpg

I'm interested in the royals but no way I'm getting up that early to watch the wedding.  I'll watch it later and read about it here.

I love that one of Victoria's. It's so pretty. But isn't it outside the hands of the Royal Family? 

Personally, I'd like to see Victoria's Emerald Tiara, because I think it would go better with Meghan's coloring, but that one is on display in an exhibit right now, I believe. 

3 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I love that one of Victoria's. It's so pretty. But isn't it outside the hands of the Royal Family? 

Personally, I'd like to see Victoria's Emerald Tiara, because I think it would go better with Meghan's coloring, but that one is on display in an exhibit right now, I believe. 

It almost left the country, but the V&A acquired it at the last possible moment: http://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2017/08/queen-victorias-sapphire-coronet-heads.html. Not that I'd let reality get in the way of a perfectly good fantasy anyway. :pb_lol:

2 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

It almost left the country, but the V&A acquired it at the last possible moment: http://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2017/08/queen-victorias-sapphire-coronet-heads.html. Not that I'd let reality get in the way of a perfectly good fantasy anyway. :pb_lol:

It is very beautiful and definitely deserves to be worn often. 

The Lotus Flower Tiara would look pretty on her. It's not a good picture, but I think it would look very pretty on Kate. my remove that top pearl, though. Kate's worn it twice, but I don't think it's associated with her, the way the Cambridge Lover's Knot is beginning to be (rightfully, given the name and her title)

image.png.d7eba2d7175fd5fa5e5e2b4c0f306fcc.png

Oh, and thanks for giving me a new royal jewels website to look through!

Apparently my mother drug us all out of bed to watch the wedding of Charles and Diana. I only have faint memories of it. My main memory of the event is being tired and my mother discussing the dress. 

I probably won't get up to watch this one. I'll get the highlights later. I might watch Royal Wedding with Fred Astaire dancing on the ceiling. 

Oy, I want Meg to have a new tiara.  For several reasons.

1. Poor Sophie got shafted by the monstrosity that was cobbled together for her wedding.  Thank Rufus Eddie bought her the aquamarine cyclops one as an alternate.
  2. If QEII digs something out of the vaults it will just be a loaner.  The Cartier bandeau would be pretty, but Charles will yank it back.
  3. Megs will (almost certainly) not wear anything that has already been loaned to anyone else.  They have dibs.
  4. I rather see Megs in a modern design.  And I want sparkle, not a floral wreath!

As to her dress - not lace.  I'm really bored with lace and Kate wore it.  Leave the lace for Eugenie to rock.

I'll recommend ivory duchesse satin in a simple cut for Meg's petite figure, but with much lavish embroidery (think Cams).   Her train will definitely be shorter than Kate's (protocol and she is being married in a chapel not a cathedral.) 

21 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Apparently my mother drug us all out of bed to watch the wedding of Charles and Diana.

Our next door neighbor generously offered to let me watch C&D's wedding in color at her house.  We only had a 9" black and white TV at the time.  She was so disappointed when I said no, I wasn't going to get up that early!

And you would not believe the flack I got when I said Di's dress was hideous, crumpled, and way overdone.  Everybody thinks that these days, but back then it was thought just beautiful.

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

This. And Charles remarried after divorce and so did Anne.

Edward VIII abdicated because they wouldn't allow him to marry divorced Wallis* and Princess Margaret was not allowed to marry a divorced man, but times have changed.

* It was also because she had known Nazi connections (von Ribbentrop), he was pro-fascist, and he would have been a terrible king.

TWICE divorced!  Bessiewallis (what a name!) had two living husbands by the time she was involved with the Prince of Wales, one of whom she was still married to for a significant chunk of their affair.  I do think there is some distinction between disdain for Wallis, who had a pattern of rather sordid behavior in addition to her Nazi connections, and someone like Camilla or Townsend.  Wallis really WAS unfit to be Queen, IMO.  She was fairly obviously morally bankrupt.  And no, you DON'T want to see someone like that on the throne, no matter how head over heels the Prince is.  The others were just normal people who didn't happen to be perfect enough to marry into the Royal family due to outdated standards, but actually would likely have discharged their duties admirably if given the chance.  

Onto other topics:

If you're like me and too young to remember the build up to Charles and Di, I encourage you to watch Diana: In her own words on Netflix.  Keep in mind that Di was not above playing the victim (and one of her close advisers quit over this), so her accounts are often less than objective, especially as the conflict progresses, but it really does provide a lot of perspective.  It was absolutely disgusting the way she was treated leading up to the wedding, what with the open discussion of her virginity and male relatives PERSONALLY ATTESTING to it (gross).  

I hope Meghan has her mother walk her down the aisle since she's been so vocal about her mother's role in her life.  I think that would be a nice nod, and would push the envelope without going too far for comfort.  I also hope she doesn't wear white (though of course she can wear whatever she wants, its her day!).  I'd just like to see a Royal Wedding Dress in color because I love colored wedding dresses!

7 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I'd just like to see a Royal Wedding Dress in color because I love colored wedding dresses!

I'm going with ivory because Cams did the blue thing, green isn't traditionally "lucky," and I detest pink!

9 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Wallis, who had a pattern of rather sordid behavior in addition to her Nazi connections, and someone like Camilla or Townsend. 

Wallis was sordid, multiply divorced, and as Nazified as fuck.  Townsend comes off the best.  But before we all go all gooey - Margo *could* have married him.  She just decided that true love wasn't worth giving up her HRH.

Camilla was absolutely no saint, but it could be argued that Andrew PB cheated first.  And then he turned a blind eye as she and Charles fucked rather openly (and sordidly) during both their marriages.  When she had young children.

Camilla and Charles have renovated their images and Cams is doing just fine.  Now.  I do think their relationship has always been sordid though.  It was not the great love affair we are sold today.  Their PR campaign was astonishingly successful.

This will be the first Royal Wedding (it SHOULD be capitalized, right? lol) since Charles & Diana's that I won't be watching on television.

Because I will be IN WINDSOR, and I will be standing somewhere along the processional route to see Harry & Meghan after they're married. :)

I.Am.So.Excited.

I admire the Queen for her ability to adapt when it’s clear she needs to, but I admire her obvious love for her family even more. She got a lot of criticism for remaining at Balmoral with Charles and his boys as long as she did after Diana’s death, but I can’t blame her for that. Yes, she has a responsibility to lead her nation through good and bad times and her people needed her... but her grandsons had just lost the mother they adored. They needed the love and stability she provided more and I’m glad she loves them enough to put their needs first.

I hope Harry and Meghan will be happy together. Personally, they seem genuinely in love to me - Harry at least looks ridiculously happy whenever I see photos of them together and that’s really nice to see. Here’s hoping they have a lovely and meaningful wedding day that isn’t marred by the behavior of her relatives (who appear to have not been invited for good reason.)

I love the lotus flower tiara for Megan, because I loved the Queen Mother and she wore it when she got married.. but a more modern, new for Megan tiara will be nice, too.

I'll be one day post op when they get married, from a knee replacement, so if I'm up with pain, I'll be watching the wedding. If not.. I'll be sleeping with drugs, LOL!

I think Meghan will wear the Spencer family tiara. Meaningful, doesn't require a loan from the Queen, rather understated (as far as tiaras go).

I think Harry will wear the navy Royal Marines uniform with the giant gold cuffs.  I like the navy, not so much the cuffs.

I'm excited to watch. Whether it's live or a re-run depends on my migraine status at the time.

Since Meghan will be known (at least until she gets a title of her own) as Princess Henry of Wales, does this mean that Eugenie's commoner fiancé will become Prince Eugenie of York? 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived