IGNORED

Joy & Austin 23: Still Sticking Around

Jellybean

Many years ago I did a specialized parenting course for those of us who had kids with low functioning autism. To be fair it was at a horrific time in my life and not long before I had a mental breakdown.

I was very unimpressed by the star and  well done stickers from the Psychologist who was running the course, maybe i'm just a miserable fucker but I found them patronising. 

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I have stickers for adults. Literally stickers for adults that my friends and I give to each other. They say things like "Yay! You wore a bra today!" and "Good Job not hitting the Snooze Button!".  You know sometimes it's just hard to have the motivaton to put on pants and deal with 3 little humans telling you how they dont like those shorts, but the other ones with a brand name are better, and how they need 5 dollars to buy a set of bookmarks that smell like pizza. Sometimes we deserve stickers that praise us for putting on pants today!

I needed stickers for "I ended the day with the same number of kids I started with"

Last summer, I was chatting with a co-worker near our parked vehicles, and I noticed the back and side windows of his truck were covered in stickers.  I asked him how that go so out of hand. He had taken his twin 3 year olds to visit grandpa, and grandpa (unbeknownst to dad) had given them sticker books. He thought they were sleeping on the hour long drive home.  Nope, they were just otherwise occupied. 

May I present to you the sticker chart I made for myself?0EC086EF-491E-4A89-B851-E9B9B3EAB78E.thumb.jpeg.3797d74a51ab7e40dc700a9044e37faa.jpeg

As you can see, I really fail on cooking/strength training more than once a week (my fiancé cooks some too). But the chart is still motivating! Will work for Minnie stickers. 

I'm mad that my grownup doctors don't give me stickers at the end of appointments. Sometimes I wish I had gone to medical school so I could be a doctor and offer stickers to all my patients, regardless of age. Because nothing brightens your day like a sticker. 

I also got mad that my absentee ballot didn't come with an I Voted sticker. FIX THIS, AMERICA. 

I get gold stars at work when I draft responses with little/no input for my fee earner (I'm a paralegal support for an IP attorney).  It's very tongue in cheek as I have absolutely no understanding of physics and I am a 28 year old child :p. 

No stickers, but we used to get candy after doctor's appointments, especially after vaccinations.

Now that I am an adult, all I get is the vaccination and the fact that I won't die of polio or tetanus :(

Addendum: I really, really miss the scented stickers I would receive at school when we lived in Florida.

Also, what happened to these scented felt pens? I had them as a child in the US, but don't recall ever seeing them once we moved to Europe. Were they ever sold here? Were they banned due to extreme toxicity (would sadden but not surprise me)? Can you still get them in the US?

1 hour ago, SweetJuly said:

Now that I am an adult, all I get is the vaccination and the fact that I won't die of polio or tetanus :(

Lol, I buy myself an ice cream or chocolate as a “reward” every time I have a blood test.  That’s four justified chocolates a year...I’ll have to come up with an excuse for the rest of them!

4 hours ago, neurogirl said:

May I present to you the sticker chart I made for myself?0EC086EF-491E-4A89-B851-E9B9B3EAB78E.thumb.jpeg.3797d74a51ab7e40dc700a9044e37faa.jpeg

As you can see, I really fail on cooking/strength training more than once a week (my fiancé cooks some too). But the chart is still motivating! Will work for Minnie stickers. 

I love it! I need to make one of these for myself. :x

3 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm mad that my grownup doctors don't give me stickers at the end of appointments. Sometimes I wish I had gone to medical school so I could be a doctor and offer stickers to all my patients, regardless of age. Because nothing brightens your day like a sticker. 

I also got mad that my absentee ballot didn't come with an I Voted sticker. FIX THIS, AMERICA. 

YES! I also am mad about my absentee ballot not coming with a sticker! I went through all that extra effort to vote - please send me a sticker. (also - I'm voting absentee in the primaries this year - but I'm going to get myself to my polling station for the real deal. I don't like how absentee ballots seem to be counted - as if they're only important if there is tie. Count ME!)

And I have had doctors give me the little kid bandaids when I get shots - because grown ups can be fun too!

Just now, SweetJuly said:

Also, what happened to these scented felt pens? I had them as a child in the US, but don't recall ever seeing them once we moved to Europe. Were they ever sold here? Were they banned due to extreme toxicity (would sadden but not surprise me)? Can you still get them in the US?

They were definitely a thing in Germany when I was a kid. No idea if they're still sold though. These things tend to come and go.

You can still get the scented felt-tip pens here in the UK :)

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@neurogirl - Nails? Fingernails? Toenails? Nails in your tires??? Whattt?

Haha I’ve been a lifelong nail biter but if they are painted I won’t do it. So I’m trying to paint them once a week (I still have little nubby nails right now...).

49 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

Haha I’ve been a lifelong nail biter but if they are painted I won’t do it. So I’m trying to paint them once a week (I still have little nubby nails right now...).

I have the same issues with nails and painting them is the only thing that works for me too. But maybe adding stickers would help even more. I really love your sticker chart!!

When I was in fourth grade, our teacher made construction paper book shapes with our names on them. Every time we read a book and turned in the book report, we got one shiny lick and stick sticker on the "book."  (That was in 1963).

I still have that book with stickers on it.. it's in my scrapbook now.

As a scrapbooker, I use stickers, but when I was a school nurse, I used many, many more.. because I had themed stickers for EVERY occasion... and the kids, K-8, loved them!!

And that "I voted" sticker? Usually goes into my scrapbook in some way. Definitely goes on Facebook....

This old lady likes stickers.

1 hour ago, LittleOwl said:

You can still get the scented felt-tip pens here in the UK :)

Mr. Sketch markers! We have them here somewhere. 

They sell a reusable sticker book in the gift shop where I work.  (For folks of my generation, think Colorforms).  I really want one.

image.thumb.png.78cc5f81e18e818b71e2f3ebe939a191.png

On 5/6/2018 at 10:01 AM, Chocolatedefrauded said:

As a mom, I’m not keen on stickers. There’s 3 spots in my house where I can’t get the damn stickers off & it bugs me! 

So, you may have already tried everything, but just in case, have you ever tried Goo Gone? It gets stickers off most surfaces really well. :)

15 hours ago, Nargus said:

Last summer, I was chatting with a co-worker near our parked vehicles, and I noticed the back and side windows of his truck were covered in stickers.  I asked him how that go so out of hand. He had taken his twin 3 year olds to visit grandpa, and grandpa (unbeknownst to dad) had given them sticker books. He thought they were sleeping on the hour long drive home.  Nope, they were just otherwise occupied. 

Ha! In my last car, I got in the bad habit of letting my kids put stickers on their windows. Dumb move. :doh: When I got a "new" car, I gave them each a brand new notebook in which to keep any and all stickers. Much better! :D

WD-40 gets sticker goo off. It'll also get tar off your car bumpers, remove gum from things, that shit's amazing! 

26 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

WD-40 gets sticker goo off. It'll also get tar off your car bumpers, remove gum from things, that shit's amazing! 

It'll also get acoustic sealant for vapour barrier off your hands!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived