IGNORED

Lori Alexander 45: Sensoring and Sensibility

This part of her butt-hurt reply is just making my day for some reason:

Thank you for pointing out that I should have written “fewer” rather than “less.” I changed it but I did have a college education and even more since I am a credentialed teacher but even highly educated people make mistakes. I sure didn’t learn how to write from my many years in public schools or higher education, however. I have learned by doing, as it is with many things.

Translation: I am super educated. I have a teaching credential you know! But also I learned nothing in high school and nothing in college. I taught myself  this grammar. Which sucks. But I'm still smarter than you!

Did that whole "learning by doing" thing teach you to stick the word "sure" in every freakin' sentence you write? Because I didn't know it was possible to hate such an innocuous word, but now I do. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Koala said:

So agree.  We can usually look at each other and tell exactly what one another is thinking, and we are pretty much always right on the same page.  I can't even really think of any situations where we aren't.

These folks must have hellish marriages.  Bless them...

True story...we were out shopping for furniture. We get in the door of the store and go in different directions looking at various couches (its the way we shop for stuff, each one of us finds 2-3 we like and then go from there). We both end up standing in front of the same couch/loveseat set. We've done the same thing with cars, other furniture and even houses! Nothing is a power struggle for us. The only "fights" we have are when he knows I'm hurting and insist on doing things anyway, or when I'm bitching that I don't have a job and that's why our finances suck ass and beat myself up. Then he gets "mean". 

I will never understand their POV on marriage and honestly don't know anyone who has a marriage like that. 

12 minutes ago, SueEllenMishke said:

Translation: I am super educated. I have a teaching credential you know! But also I learned nothing in high school and nothing in college. I taught myself  this grammar. Which sucks. But I'm still smarter than you!

Did that whole "learning by doing" thing teach you to stick the word "sure" in every freakin' sentence you write? Because I didn't know it was possible to hate such an innocuous word, but now I do. 

That 'I changed it but I did have a college education and even more since I am a credentialed teacher but even highly educated people make mistakes' could use some punctuation too.  I try to suppress my grammar Nazi tendencies, and I'm willing to cut people a LOT of slack as long as it's not too bad, but when someone like Lori does the 'we don't need no education' thing, while simultaneously proving that she benefited very little from her own education, it brings out the worst in me.   

Anyone else read that as "I am highly educated and credentialed as a teacher, but I didn't actually learn anything and therefore didn't actually teach anything either"? 

How did she "homeschool" her kids (I know, she didn't really!) if she didn't learn anything at all during all of her school years? She acts like she stuck her fingers in her ears and sang LALALALA from preschool on through college, but now is magically "highly educated" and "homeschooled" her children perfectly (while the nanny held the baby and the housekeeper vacuumed around the couch she was lying on with an ice pack, I presume), and is therefore qualified to tell all women what they MUST do. 

1 hour ago, Koala said:

So agree.  We can usually look at each other and tell exactly what one another is thinking, and we are pretty much always right on the same page.  I can't even really think of any situations where we aren't.

These folks must have hellish marriages.  Bless them...

It's funny that you say that ... I've mentioned before that I'm on Topamax, which makes me randomly lose words. And Mr. Polecat is so helpful because he can almost immediately decode what my "errrr, um" *handflap, wave, flap flap flap* means every time, whether I'm talking about a specific type of plant I want to get this summer or the neighbor's darn cat peeing on our patio again. And don't even get me started on the number of times we've had this conversation:

Me: Hey, you wanna watch that one movie?

Mr. P: Oh, yeah, the one with the thing?
Me: YES! That one!

Mr. P. : Yep. I love that one part.

Me: I KNOW! 

Meanwhile, our kids are looking at us like we're smoking crack. We've just been together so long, we know how each other thinks. And that's just the little things! 

15 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

And the only thing worth keeping from the beta version was one rib!

Cracker Barrel

Nah, Waffle House. I kinda like Cracker Barrel (love the country store) and have never seen uncouth folks. And I do believe men were the beta and any designer as good as God would of course have improved any subsequent versions.

@polecat that sounds awesome. It reminds me of one time when my sister and I were sharing an apartment and my parents came over. 

J: Hey, have you seen the...

me: Right here.

J: Thanks, and the um...

me: over there *points*

My parents looked at us like we were crazy. I don't think my mom has ever really "got" me, she's always off the mark a bit. But my sisters often do. I can't tell you how many times we've shown up somewhere wearing similar outfits, accidentally. 

I suspect Lori doesn't "get" her daughters, either. And doesn't care to.

5 hours ago, polecat said:

The only places I can imagine such horribly crude behavior taking place are one of those places where people are expected to chuck peanut shells on the floor

Texas Roadhouse (steaks), and the people behave just fine.

Apologies to anyone whom I may have offended by my Cracker Barrel crack.  We don't have them in this part of the country so my knowledge of them is second-hand, from friends and relatives who have regaled many a party with their experiences. 

1 hour ago, SueEllenMishke said:

"sure" in every freakin' sentence you write

OMG...that sure is one of my pet peeves (among many of hers)...sure this and sure that. I sure can't stand the word sure anymore.  I'm sure. 

The charming Jeff over on her blog:

jeff says:

May 15, 2018 at 9:51 am

Helena,

You must still live in the late 70’s or 80’s because as far as I know ALL (read that: ALL) the husbands and fathers I know who are 55 or younger helped raise their children down to diaper changes and taxiing children to various sporting, school and extra school functions.

Most of the writers of articles like that are still harping on the 2% of fathers and husbands who are working out of town or work 80 hours a week, and are bitter at their confusion and loss that they let dry up in their youth. The young writers are social justice warriors for whatever reason.

I am a doctor. I have several clinics under my ownership. Think… for one moment. If companies could pay women less for the same work done they would only hire women and have more profit. The whole .70/$1.00 is blatantly false. ALL of the women I have hired ask for more time off than the men. Both of the women doctors who work for me are part time. One at 32 hours per week and takes so many sick days and vacations I wonder if she even wants to work. Don’t get me started on the other one who works 15 hours and constantly complains about the mental and emotional strain from treating people. All of the men work 45+ hours per week, hardly take vacation and seem to never be sick. Besides the complaining from the female doctors, I have tried to comply to their wishes of different things to make working easier for them. Initially met with appreciation the requests never stop for more, more, and more. The male doctors usually ask for something mundane, like making sure fridges are stocked with Red Bull or snacks.

Believe me, I do treat women who cannot stand being home with their kids and would rather work. No problem. At least they are honest. Some of their kids are fine, most are not. Needless to say those women hate their job and the grass is always greener. I have yet to treat a wife and mother who staid home and regretted it.

What women have taught me is to believe what they do, not what they say. Women complain while men comply.

Remember this…
In this and every country you watch as history unfolds. Patriarchy will rule with love from your husbands and fathers with love or by the sword of our enemies. Which would you prefer. Soft times make soft men. Soft men make hard times. Hard times make hard men. Hard men make soft times. See where we are now… Soft times.

1 hour ago, SueEllenMishke said:

I'm not a native speaker (evil, public junior high and being a bookworm helps) but even I spotted that mistake.

48 minutes ago, polecat said:

It's funny that you say that ... I've mentioned before that I'm on Topamax, which makes me randomly lose words. And Mr. Polecat is so helpful because he can almost immediately decode what my "errrr, um" *handflap, wave, flap flap flap* means every time, whether I'm talking about a specific type of plant I want to get this summer or the neighbor's darn cat peeing on our patio again. And don't even get me started on the number of times we've had this conversation:

Me: Hey, you wanna watch that one movie?

Mr. P: Oh, yeah, the one with the thing?
Me: YES! That one!

Mr. P. : Yep. I love that one part.

Me: I KNOW! 

Meanwhile, our kids are looking at us like we're smoking crack. We've just been together so long, we know how each other thinks. And that's just the little things! 

Have you been in my living room? I swear I've had that conversation with Mr. Xtian more times than I care to count!

10 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

jeff says:

...Patriarchy will rule...

Oh, HELL NO!  And people wonder why The Handmaid's Tale is so difficult for some of us to watch??!  

13 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

jeff says:

13 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

several clinics under my ownership.

He OWNS several clinics :2wankers: SUUURE :my_angel:

Doctors with 32h weeks...

Newsflash: during flu, Noro,... whatever season every doctor gets sick. Viruses aren't sexist.

Jeff being a doctor works so hard and so long he has time to read and comment on Lori's blog. Does not help Lori's position at all. 

24 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Jeff being a doctor works so hard and so long he has time to read and comment on Lori's blog. Does not help Lori's position at all. 

Like all those 'friends' with their stories popping up JUST at the right time, perfectly fitting Lori's narrative.

(Lori:"ALL the women doctors I know regret their career choice...":pantsonfire:I'm a 6th year medical student and haven't met a single one.)

If Jeff (I love patriarchy) is a doctor, then I am a nuclear power plant trouble shooter.

37 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

jeff says:

Mr. Doctor Man must be over 55 and still living in the 50's and 60's.  I have yet to find a nurse/doctor/lab tech/etc that didn't put in their full 40+ unless they were specifically hired as part time.  One RN friend was commuting an hour and fighting bridge traffic one way, every day for however long her shifts were.  Another friend is a lab tech, she has dealt with cancer, kidney issues, and chronic thyroid problems and has worked a full schedule through it all.  Oh and that whole..."women complain, men comply" bit?  I call absolute Bullshit on that.  Ten years between a parts warehouse and a block shop...I saw some whiney ass grown men, many of whom got outworked by a woman.  

It's not feminism if it's simply a competent person getting things done. 

2 hours ago, SueEllenMishke said:

Highly educated my ass. :laughing-rolling: 

All I have is a high school diploma, a bunch of community college-level history classes (some of which should have been considered university-level because the professor was that good), and a lifetime of reading under my belt. No real 'credentials.' And yet, I'd SURE stack my own education up against Lori's--and Ken's, too, for that matter!--any day. 

So she can slide those meaningless credentials of hers gently up where the sun doesn't shine.:COLERE:

Ya know.....again! With the ingratitude!  I'm sitting here, minding my business, eating my snack, and it hits me that she's (yet again) putting down something valuable that her parents provided her with.  "I went to school but didn't learn anything" Bitch, be grateful that you had an opportunity to go!  How many women in her younger years weren't even offered a choice?  How about you smile and say, "Thank you daddy, maybe this will help me raise my babies" or "Look, I started a scholarship fund for stay at home moms who want to give their children a good education or help my husband in his business."  

Ya'll.......she makes my blood pressure bad. 

Lori:

I did have a college education and even more since I am a credentialed teacher but even highly educated people make mistakes

Lori, there's a difference between going to college and being educated.  For clarity, you went to college.

I say that, based on your own account.  As recently as 2017, you declared:

I can’t remember anything that I learned in college. I didn’t like any of my classes. I can’t remember any of my professors. 

You went on to crow:

Am I a smarter mother because I went to college? I don’t think so.

I agree with your assessment 100%.   You left college no smarter than the day you entered it.  

The reason?  You are spoiled, entitled, and unappreciative. You wanted to sit at home being pampered like the princess you think you are, and instead, you father offered you a true gift- a paid for college education.

You squandered that gift, and are baffled that all women don't do the same.  It's shameful, and you should realize that.

58 minutes ago, Loveday said:

Highly educated my ass. :laughing-rolling: 

All I have is a high school diploma, a bunch of community college-level history classes (some of which should have been considered university-level because the professor was that good), and a lifetime of reading under my belt. No real 'credentials.' And yet, I'd SURE stack my own education up against Lori's--and Ken's, too, for that matter!--any day. 

So she can slide those meaningless credentials of hers gently up where the sun doesn't shine.:COLERE:

Second favorite quote from my all-time favorite movie, Good Will Hunting:

See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, in 50 years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own and you're going to come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life: one, don't do that, and two, you dropped 150 grand on a fuckin' education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library!

Soft times make soft men. Soft men make hard times. Hard times make hard men. Hard men make soft times. See where we are now… Soft times.

Jeff darling, they make a pill for that kind of thing now. 

Highly educated people should know the difference between reliable sources and unreliable sources even if their field of study isn't research. Unless a school is just that awful, the only time I see fellow students fail to learn is when they don't apply themselves, are lazy, or have no desire to learn. Of course, there are life circumstances like health issues, both mental and physical, that might hinder learning but generally speaking it is a failure to apply oneself.  One shouldn't brag about learning nothing at school. 

Can't say much about grammar and spelling because it's something I struggle with and have to work really hard on but I do actually try. My dad is the same way.  Pinterest has been a good send in breaking down grammar.  

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived