IGNORED

Paige Patterson, SWBTS President

clueliss

4 hours ago, Briefly said:

I think he could easily be capable of anything.  Anything.

Yes. Absolute power -- which Paige Patterson pretty much had -- corrupts absolutely.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patterson's attorney is pushing back:

Given the wide-spread misrepresentation and misinformation regarding Dr. Patterson, it is important to set the facts straight. Insofar as they continue to be misrepresented publicly, accurate and appropriate responses will be issued.

This media release is in response to a release late Friday afternoon, June 1, 2018, from Kevin Ueckert, chairman of the board of trustees of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (SWBTS), concerning an executive committee decision of May 30, 2018, to terminate Dr. Patterson immediately.

The sole purpose of this release is to set forth facts and to put into perspective the committee’s decision and the way in which that decision was made.

Regarding the purloined correspondence from SEBTS:

To resolve the dispute about the true ownership of the documents in question, Dr. Patterson’s legal counsel has requested Southeastern Seminary join with him in having Peacemakers Ministries provide an arbitrator agreeable to both parties to decide the ownership of the records in accordance with 1 Corinthians 6, which prescribes how Christians are to settle disputes rather than using the secular court system. So far, SEBTS has not accepted this request.

While confident that no SEBTS documents were taken, Dr. and Mrs. Patterson are glad for SEBTS to have copies of any appropriate correspondence that they are unable to locate.

That's an interesting development.  They must be desperate to keep law enforcement out of this.  If Patterson is so 1 Corintihians 6, why does he need a lawyer?

Checking on my Jiffy Pop supply in the pantry. 

This AP article made the front page of the Austin American Statesman today -- the Southern Baptist Convention is meeting in Dallas for two days beginning Tuesday: 

#MeToo crisis jolts Baptists

Succinct article and it manages to point out Paige Patterson getting the boot, all-male leadership in the Southern Baptist Convention,  complementarian beliefs, quote Al Mohler and note that there will be a protest rally with Wade Burleson in attendance. 

And by the way, these Baptist leaders noxious men want you to know that complementarian belief doesn't promote disrespecting women, no siree Bob!, and they really want to clear that up.  See, the real problem is the "matrimony-shattering no-fault divorce culture." 

Was this posted upthread?  Don't recall seeing it, although it's dated June 1.  Anyway, just as I thought.  

Woman hushed by Patterson comes forward, tells of 8 more

Here's the most telling sentence of this rather detailed article: When asked how she was made to feel ashamed by Patterson in a 2003 meeting about the sexual assault, she said he asked “questions a pastor should never ask a woman,” and added that she left the meeting feeling as if the incident was her fault.

I have this incredibly ick, disgusted feeling that Paige Patterson wanted to question this woman alone to get some form of vicarious sexual gratification by making her describe her rape in detail.  This, in itself, is a form of sexual abuse. Red flag, folks, huge red flag.  

@Howl - I agree completely. Red flags all the way.

The WaPo is still on this story:

Patterson, who has declined interview requests, came to Southern Baptist leadership naturally. 

Son of a major convention power broker in Texas, long the most powerful state in the movement, Patterson was a prolific preacher before he was 20. He was the equivalent of a “Baptist crown prince,” said Richard Land, a longtime Southern Baptist leader who considers Patterson one of his best friends.

So Patterson knew how to make things happen in the late 1970s and ’80s when he and others on the far right grew increasingly worried about the convention becoming more moderate on the key question of the Bible’s inerrancy, including on the place of women and the family.

7 hours ago, Howl said:

Was this posted upthread?  Don't recall seeing it, although it's dated June 1.  Anyway, just as I thought.  

Woman hushed by Patterson comes forward, tells of 8 more

Here's the most telling sentence of this rather detailed article: When asked how she was made to feel ashamed by Patterson in a 2003 meeting about the sexual assault, she said he asked “questions a pastor should never ask a woman,” and added that she left the meeting feeling as if the incident was her fault.

I have this incredibly ick, disgusted feeling that Paige Patterson wanted to question this woman alone to get some form of vicarious sexual gratification by making her describe her rape in detail.  This, in itself, is a form of sexual abuse. Red flag, folks, huge red flag.  

I think you are right. As soon as I read that when I read the article, my first thought was that he was/is a predator himself. He probably did get a thrill, as my mom would have said, by what she said.  There was no reason he needed to know the details.

Apparently the Paige Patterson issue was a major dealio at the Southern Baptist Convention.  Some people wanted to fire the executive board that fired Patterson, but that didn't pass.  This issue was heavily covered by major news outlets.  Here's one take on it

From start to end, how one seminary's scandal shaped the Southern Baptists' agenda

It sounds like the man named Thomas Hatley wants to sweep the entire thing under the rug, bring back Patterson and fire the committee.  It does sound like his wishes were denied.  I am hopeful that the culture will at least improve some, although I will be surprised if the SBC is able to make the sweeping changes that it desperately needs to make.  At least not right away, although I think that the repercussions from the whole mess will be felt for many years.

Oh, I KNOW you want to.  You want to watch this video, even though it's less than two minutes of your life that you'll never get back.  It's a rap music video in homage to JD Greear being elected to the head of the SBC.  The comments are, uh, "interesting". 

I find it interesting that Greear looks pretty young.  I'm thinking they want someone in there for a long, long time. 

I can't find any information about Paige Patterson's benefits being re-instated, so hopefully he really has been kicked to the curb.  

Archived