IGNORED

Paige Patterson, SWBTS President

clueliss

59 minutes ago, Briefly said:

I'm not quite sure what to say.  There are so many things running through my head right now.  This story just keeps getting worse and worse.  I read Burleson's blog.  Just reading the limited accounts of what that woman went through turned my stomach.  I've been thinking about leaving the Southern Baptist Church for a while. The church we belong to is rather relaxed by SBC standards, but it's still not where I want to be. I do not feel that I can support a church that belongs to the SBC organization, I am not comfortable with even the thought that any of my tithe might go toward an organization that Patterson might get any benefit from.  I do know how the SBC churches are in terms of independence.  I'm just beyond disgusted that Patterson is even outside of a jail, much less getting the less than a slap on the wrist.  He treated that woman beyond horribly.

I'll be very honest here. I hope you and every other SBC member with a conscience leaves. I never would have said anything like this a few years ago. I never would have felt it was my place, but too much has come to light. I feel the entire organization is rotten to the core,  and the time for fence-sitting has passed. Members coddle white supremacists, ignore abuse, and propelled the likes of Trump and Roy Moore into power. There is nothing good in the SBC that can't be found elsewhere, minus the racism, misogyny, and right-wing politics. I left, found something much more in line with Christ's actual teachings, and don't regret it one bit. I wish you courage and support. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to chat. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Evangeline said:

I'll be very honest here. I hope you and every other SBC member with a conscience leaves. I never would have said anything like this a few years ago. I never would have felt it was my place, but too much has come to light. I feel the entire organization is rotten to the core,  and the time for fence-sitting has passed. Members coddle white supremacists, ignore abuse, and propelled the likes of Trump and Roy Moore into power. There is nothing good in the SBC that can't be found elsewhere, minus the racism, misogyny, and right-wing politics. I left, found something much more in line with Christ's actual teachings, and don't regret it one bit. I wish you courage and support. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to chat. 

We left. We are attending a Umc church now. We would love to find a cooperative Baptist (they broke away from the SBC and abide by the '63 BFM + are egal) but there are none in our area. 

2 hours ago, Carol said:

Oh My Fucking God...

Paint by number "stained" glass windows for the fundie elite.  Absolutely grotesque...  unbelievably cheesy...right up there with Ben Carson's painting of Jesus in a bathrobe with his arm on Ben's shoulder.

213202313_ScreenShot2018-05-24at5_31_21PM.png.09a6f350d5680b6542e6dbebe3ad57f2.png

Jesus didn't wear bathrobes, and he didn't attend West Point.  I'm confused....

33 minutes ago, JMarie said:

Jesus didn't wear bathrobes, and he didn't attend West Point.  I'm confused....

So is Ben.  :crazy:

13 hours ago, Carol said:

Oh My Fucking God...

Paint by number "stained" glass windows for the fundie elite.  Absolutely grotesque...  unbelievably cheesy...right up there with Ben Carson's painting of Jesus in a bathrobe with his arm on Ben's shoulder.

213202313_ScreenShot2018-05-24at5_31_21PM.png.09a6f350d5680b6542e6dbebe3ad57f2.png

Yeah I hope some fundies don't get it in their heads to put up stained glass images of fuck face in their churches. 

10 hours ago, Carol said:

Ben is majorly, fucked-up, messed up, and hopelessly confused.

13 hours ago, Carol said:

Ben is scared.  There's a gigantic claw on his shoulder (no tiny hands here!).

21 hours ago, Evangeline said:

I fully intend to.  I grew up SBC, although we didn't attend a lot. My dad was friends with a really nice man who was a pastor at a SBC church and we started going there when I was a teenager, my mom and I were both baptised together and we attended there for several years. He performed my marriage ceremony. After he retired, the next pastor was really young and very progressive.  That is when I realized that our first pastor was not the stereotypical SBC pastor. The young one was literally run off by the deacons, who were a bunch of old men  who did not see any reason to change their opinions on anything.  I pretty much stopped attending then, and we eventually joined a United Methodist Church. We continued with UMC when we moved to Tulsa, and loved it. But when we started having problems, I did what many women do - grasped at straws and the straw I picked up happened to be fundamentalism.  We never joined a fundy church, we pretty much did it on our own, but at that point we went back to the SBC church. We joined one and didn't like it, so we joined another one and it was extremely, extremely strict and we stayed too long.  After I realized how much of mistake our brief foray into fundamentalism was, we looked at other churches and wound up joining another SBC but it's the one we belong to now and it's not at all like an SBC usually is.  But I want to go back to the UMC and to the specific one we belonged to when we moved from Tulsa to our smaller, neighboring town.  Mr. Briefly is not completely on the same page about the church, he says he'll go where I want to and I think I'm going to take him up on that.  The SBC we belong to now is not bad, but since all this has come out about Patterson, et al, I am reminded about the original SBC I belonged to as a teen and what happened when the pastor retired.  I have some serious concerns that the pastor at the church we belong to now may eventually be censored (for lack of a better word) because he's fairly progressive - the church recently absorbed another church that was in financial straights and there are so many older, hard-line members from that church that I am seriously afraid it's headed the way my teen years church went.

FINALLY, the SWBTS has fired Paige Patterson outright & stripped him of the previously awarded benefits:

During the May 30, 2018, Executive Committee meeting of the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (SWBTS) Board of Trustees, new information confirmed this morning was presented regarding the handling of an allegation of sexual abuse against a student during Dr. Paige Patterson’s presidency at another institution and resulting issues connected with statements to the Board of Trustees that are inconsistent with SWBTS’s biblically informed core values.

Deeming the information demanded immediate action and could not be deferred to a regular meeting of the Board, based on the details presented, the Executive Committee unanimously resolved to terminate Dr. Paige Patterson, effective immediately, removing all the benefits, rights and privileges provided by the May 22-23 board meeting, including the title of President Emeritus, the invitation to reside at the Baptist Heritage Center as theologian-in-residence and ongoing compensation.

That must have been some compelling evidence presented at that May 30 meeting - because SWBTS had never intended to do anything (IMO, of course).

Off to search...

But there are those mysteriously missing files at Southeastern:

However, The Washington Post reported on May 22 that a woman who was a student at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in 2003 said she had come to Patterson — then president of that school — and was encouraged by him not to go to police and to forgive her alleged assailant.

The Post does not identify victims of sexual abuse, but on Monday, Megan Lively identified herself in public as the person in the Post article.

She later tweeted that she and her husband forgave Patterson on Saturday. She didn’t speak with him.

On Wednesday night, Lively declined to comment to the Post.

Danny Akin, president of Southeastern seminary, said he couldn’t confirm if the Southwestern leaders were referring to Lively’s alleged 2003 rape at his school. Akin said he believes files that would help them investigate the incident were taken from Southeastern when Patterson left that same year to become president at Southwestern in Texas.

“Whether by mistake or intentionally, I don’t know. We think there are files that probably belong to Southeastern so we’ve asked folks at Southwestern to look into that. They’re in the process of doing that,” he said.

Patterson was Akin’s preaching professor and they worked together for nine years, Akin said. But in his first detailed comments about the alleged rape, he said he believes Lively “was badly counseled. If someone comes to us today and says there’s been abuse, certainly a sexual assault, we’re going to contact law enforcement officials. We told Megan we love her and we support her. If at any point in time, if she chose to press charges, we would support her.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/southern-baptist-leader-paige-patterson-fired-over-handling-of-sex-abuse-allegation/ar-AAy2XqA?li=BBnb7Kz

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

But there are those mysteriously missing files at Southeastern

This reversal seems to hinge on those "missing" files. Also, the negative evidence of there being no police involvement at the time shows Patterson for the fucking liar that he is and was.

If the files still exist, and Patterson left SEBTS with them, that's a problem.

If they still exist, are located, AND found to contain correspondence that says what the victim has reported, that's a REALLY big problem.

I'm guessing that it's something between the two, at least -- enough to demonstrate Patterson's culpability along with his failure to involve the police at the time of the assault.

I, too, wonder if those disgusting stained glass windows will get covered over or redone into some other SBC graven image now that Patterson has rightfully been given the boot.

21 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

FINALLY, the SWBTS has fired Paige Patterson outright & stripped him of the previously awarded benefits:

Good, there is still hope for them.  Not much, but at least they did the right thing on this.  Part of the right thing anyway.  I'm still intending to leave the SBC.

I also read that the worker who was fired for agreeing with a tweet that was critical of Patterson just got reinstated. Sorry, I forget his name.

Ridiculous (ugly) stained glass windows honoring this jamoke and his wife, while elsewhere in Baptistworld, a statue of Jesus and some bas-relief Biblical wall art is being removed for being all Catholic-looking.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:53 PM, hoipolloi said:

This reversal seems to hinge on those "missing" files. Also, the negative evidence of there being no police involvement at the time shows Patterson for the fucking liar that he is and was.

If the files still exist, and Patterson left SEBTS with them, that's a problem.

If they still exist, are located, AND found to contain correspondence that says what the victim has reported, that's a REALLY big problem.

I'm guessing that it's something between the two, at least -- enough to demonstrate Patterson's culpability along with his failure to involve the police at the time of the assault.

I, too, wonder if those disgusting stained glass windows will get covered over or redone into some other SBC graven image now that Patterson has rightfully been given the boot.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/usworld/officials-ex-baptist-leader-mishandled-separate-rape-claims/article_51cbeea7-e19e-5981-a7d2-134347359c38.html

I hope that this article is accessible, it's from today's Tulsa newspaper.  It references the missing files.  They seem to be the final straw that broke this particular camel's back.

On 5/30/2018 at 9:53 PM, hoipolloi said:

Wow, to have been a fly on the wall when Paige found out he was being totally cut off WITH NO CONTINUING COMPENSATION.  That's a boot in the ass right there.  Wonder who had to tell him?  Maybe they just had their lawyer tell his lawyer, or just sent him a letter, certified mail. 

10 hours ago, Briefly said:

I hope that this article is accessible, it's from today's Tulsa newspaper.  It references the missing files.  They seem to be the final straw that broke this particular camel's back.

@Briefly, thanks for posting that link.  There's disgusting and/or appalling detail in almost every paragraph of that article.  

Ueckert said Patterson sent an email to the head of campus security in 2015 to say he wanted to meet alone with a student who told him she had been raped, to “break her down.”

What a nasty piece of work.  And I'm sure, as in his previous meeting with a rape victim, he wanted ALL the details. This leads me to wonder if something else has been discovered about Patterson that they are keeping on the down low. Of course, none of this comes as a surprise to everyone who had anything to do with this man, including all of the "shocked" board members who now claim that the incident above is “antithetical to the core values of our faith”(!).   I'd be very, very curious to know if they've hired a PR consultant re: damage control. 

Here's his sorry not sorry, not admitting anything, totally covering my ass fake "apology". 

“I wish to apologize to every woman who has been wounded by anything I have said that was inappropriate or that lacked clarity,” his statement said. “Please forgive the failure to be as thoughtful and careful in my extemporaneous expression as I should have been.”

An authority figure (like Patterson) meeting alone with a rape victim is always a brilliant idea...NOT!

So yesterday morning during the sermon at the church I'm currently attending the Pastor brought Paige Patterson up and decidedly stated that telling someone to go back to an abusive/violent relationship is wrong.  (also brought up Beth Moore and the whole tweet about the man that told her she was pretty and said that's wrong).   I thought of ya'll (and said a mental thank you for letting me know I'm not in a patriarchy or die sort of church)

1 hour ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

An authority figure (like Patterson) meeting alone with a rape victim 

Patterson deliberately meeting alone with a rape victim is so beyond creepy I can't even......huge red flag.   Idle Speculation:  would not be surprised if more woman came forward with their (sadly predictable) stories about Patterson. 

11 hours ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

An authority figure (like Patterson) meeting alone with a rape victim is always a brilliant idea...NOT!

Perhaps Patterson should have paid some attention to the "Billy Graham rule" (and I'm serious here).

14 hours ago, Howl said:

What a nasty piece of work.  And I'm sure, as in his previous meeting with a rape victim, he wanted ALL the details. This leads me to wonder if something else has been discovered about Patterson that they are keeping on the down low. Of course, none of this comes as a surprise to everyone who had anything to do with this man, including all of the "shocked" board members who now claim that the incident above is “antithetical to the core values of our faith”(!).   I'd be very, very curious to know if they've hired a PR consultant re: damage control. 

That was my thought exactly.  I will not be at all surprised if something else comes out concerning him and his actions.  I think he could easily be capable of anything.  Anything.

Archived