IGNORED

Paige Patterson, SWBTS President

clueliss

Well this mess hit my twitter feed yesterday via Rachel Held Evans and Beth Moore (Rachel specifically mentioned this, Beth was more cryptic but you can tell from the tweets that this sparked her).  Paige Patterson (who is a man) is President of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.  

This is the link to the post that she reacted to

By the way, Patterson is also named in a lawsuit (along with SWBTS) is a sex abuse case.

https://www.baptiststandard.com/news/baptists/southern-baptist-layman-paul-pressler-subject-sex-abuse-suit/

And here is the link to Rachel's twitter page since she was on fire last night and there are too danged many tweets to link
https://twitter.com/rachelheldevans

and more

Beth was still tweeting on this on a Sunday morning.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw this WaPo article over the weekend on the infamous recommendation by Paige Patterson to a woman in his pastoral care that she tolerate her husband's abuse and not divorce him.

Patterson released a statement essentially denying he said those things: "In it, he said those who were upset about his comments had engaged in 'mischaracterization,' 'misrepresentation,' and 'lies' driven by 'hatred.'” Christianity Today also picked up the story.

Waited to see how the Wartburg Watch  and Spiritual Sounding Board would react to this blatant whitewashing, and they did not disappoint. Go read their exegeses of Patterson's then and now statements. 

Will Paige Patterson join Frank Page in going gently into that good Baptist retirement or will he continue to be a leader in the SBC?

This guy has to be a real piece of work to have a large swath of the christian internet in an uproar over is statement.  

3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Saw this WaPo article over the weekend on the infamous recommendation by Paige Patterson to a woman in his pastoral care that she tolerate her husband's abuse and not divorce him.

Patterson released a statement essentially denying he said those things: "In it, he said those who were upset about his comments had engaged in 'mischaracterization,' 'misrepresentation,' and 'lies' driven by 'hatred.'” Christianity Today also picked up the story.

Waited to see how the Wartburg Watch  and Spiritual Sounding Board would react to this blatant whitewashing, and they did not disappoint. Go read their exegeses of Patterson's then and now statements. 

Will Paige Patterson join Frank Page in going gently into that good Baptist retirement or will he continue to be a leader in the SBC?

Ah, yes, the usual denial trifecta.  Well, bull fucking shit, Paige-boy. You said it, so own it. 

I'm so tired of these people denying what's right in plain view in front of us all. :COLERE:

4 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Patterson released a statement essentially denying he said those things: "In it, he said those who were upset about his comments had engaged in 'mischaracterization,' 'misrepresentation,' and 'lies' driven by 'hatred.'”

Taken right from the Ken Alexander school of defensive deflection.

And I'm STILL seeing Tweets about this.  

To almost no one's surprise --certainly not mine -- Paige Patterson is doubling down on his assholery:

FORT WORTH — A prominent Southern Baptist leader whose comments about spousal abuse set off a firestorm last week said in an interview Friday that he couldn’t “apologize for what I didn’t do wrong.”...As some wondered this week whether the seminary trustees could remove its president, Patterson appeared to double down on Friday, saying in an interview that “allegations have been given on me all my life” and adding that he was being falsely accused but declining to provide examples. 

The blowback on Paige Patterson's decades of assholery isn't going away:

More than 1,000 Southern Baptist women have signed an open letter to the trustees of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary that says they are “grieved by the dangerous and unwise counsel” that the group’s president, Paige Patterson, has given by telling abused women not to divorce, and are shocked by his comments that “objectify a teenage girl.”

“These comments are damaging, sinful, and necessitate a decisive response,” the women wrote in a letter published Sunday afternoon.

These women, who include several influential writers and speakers, are not pushing theological boundaries within the Southern Baptist Convention. The letter says they affirm Southern Baptist views that only men are allowed to be pastors and that women are to submit themselves to their husbands.

ETA: Rachael Denhollander is a signatory.

The Wartburg Watch has a very interesting post up today speculating that the new publicity about Paige Pattersonʻs old behavior & statements may be linked to an intra-SBC fight over the upcoming change in leadership.

18 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

The Wartburg Watch has a very interesting post up today speculating that the new publicity about Paige Pattersonʻs old behavior & statements may be linked to an intra-SBC fight over the upcoming change in leadership.

THAT.

I have been saying for at least 10 years, maybe longer, that Calvinism would be the issue that would split the SBC.

On 08/05/2018 at 11:37 PM, hoipolloi said:

Yes, though it seems rather strange to speculate - as they do - that’s its the Calvinists bringing up the issue - it’s likelier in this context to be the other side.

.. and Calvinism may well be the proximate cause of an eventual split, but the roots of it lie in how politicking works in the good ole boy atmosphere of the SBC

• 2 weeks later...

Well - guess who has new headlines about craptastic behavior.  This was retweeted by Rachel Held Evans.  Yup - forgive the rapist and don't report it.  

Good riddance

Southwestern Baptist Theological president Paige Patterson has been pushed into the position of “president emeritus” following a month in a media firestorm after his comments on abused women surfaced.

After a 13-hour meeting on Tuesday that stretched into the early hours of the next morning, the seminary’s trustees made a few announcements in minutes, including Patterson’s new position and that the interim presidency would be offered to Jeffrey Bingham, dean of the seminary’s school of theology.

Patterson was not in the final meeting when this was announced.

The meeting also addressed two other points that came out of the Patterson controversy. While the trustees met on Tuesday, The Washington Post published an article alleging that Patterson told a woman who said she’d been raped not to report it to police and to forgive her assailant.

Good news, although I don't think we're going to hear any crazy good changes with Mr. New Guy. 

I read the article earlier.  It kind of sounds like he's not really being punished, he's still getting free housing and a lot of benefits.  But at least they did something.  Maybe, anyway.

The bastard should be defrocked & all privileges of his pastoral status should be removed or revoked.

Not going to happen, of course, but it should.

10 hours ago, Briefly said:

I read the article earlier.  It kind of sounds like he's not really being punished, he's still getting free housing and a lot of benefits.  But at least they did something.  Maybe, anyway.

No, no punishment, just a nudge out of the spotlight and a very, very soft landing, because they had to do some PR/damage control. 

Emeritus "with compensation",  residence (no rent!) in a new cottage on the grounds of the seminary so he's easily available for consultation.   What a joke.

The important thing is that his vile views were widely publicized; his ouster was covered in today's paper.  

We have two Paige Patterson threads going, and I realized that I don't know how to contact mods directly to request that they be merged.  Anyone?

8 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

The bastard should be defrocked & all privileges of his pastoral status should be removed or revoked.

Not going to happen, of course, but it should.

And gag him, cover him with honey, and sit him on an anthill.  I'm afraid that won't happen either.

27 minutes ago, Howl said:

We have two Paige Patterson threads going, and I realized that I don't know how to contact mods directly to request that they be merged.  Anyone?

You can tag a Helpmeet.  Also to report a post or to ask for a merge:  Hover in the top bar of any post on the right and the word "report" comes up.  Click that and a box appears where you have the option of explaining why you think the post is reportable and submit.  The mod will decide whether a thread needs merging.  FJ is not as strict about merging threads these days. :)

Wade Burleson has posted on his interactions with a woman who was assaulted while attending SEBTS in the early 2000s. It's quite disturbing.

Then there's this unbelievable, what-the-actual-fuck link to an article about people who donated money to put Paige & Dorothy Patterson (and other SBC asshats)  in stained glass windows in a chapel at SWBTS:

IMG_7605_2.jpg

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Wade Burleson has posted on his interactions with a woman who was assaulted while attending SEBTS in the early 2000s. It's quite disturbing.

Then there's this unbelievable, what-the-actual-fuck link to an article about people who donated money to put Paige & Dorothy Patterson (and other SBC asshats)  in stained glass windows in a chapel at SWBTS:

IMG_7605_2.jpg

Jesus wept. 

:angry-banghead:

I'm not quite sure what to say.  There are so many things running through my head right now.  This story just keeps getting worse and worse.  I read Burleson's blog.  Just reading the limited accounts of what that woman went through turned my stomach.  I've been thinking about leaving the Southern Baptist Church for a while. The church we belong to is rather relaxed by SBC standards, but it's still not where I want to be. I do not feel that I can support a church that belongs to the SBC organization, I am not comfortable with even the thought that any of my tithe might go toward an organization that Patterson might get any benefit from.  I do know how the SBC churches are in terms of independence.  I'm just beyond disgusted that Patterson is even outside of a jail, much less getting the less than a slap on the wrist.  He treated that woman beyond horribly.

4 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

IMG_7605_2.jpg

Oh My Fucking God...

Paint by number "stained" glass windows for the fundie elite.  Absolutely grotesque...  unbelievably cheesy...right up there with Ben Carson's painting of Jesus in a bathrobe with his arm on Ben's shoulder.

213202313_ScreenShot2018-05-24at5_31_21PM.png.09a6f350d5680b6542e6dbebe3ad57f2.png

Archived