IGNORED

Seriously, Steve?

Palimpsest

58 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Until the Jesus thing I thought it was sex.  

Did he seriously not give an answer?

We have to wait a week. 

Sex works for the "Jesus Christ Embodies it" you just have to pick the right Jesus. Shirtless, non bleeding Jesus is preferred for me. 

• Haha 4

Steve really seems to have a lot of contempt for "the elderly." What is his problem? I mean, he has contempt for just about everybody, but older people really chap his hide.

Maybe an 80-year-old with no tolerance for bullshit told him where to stick it. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3

[Patriarchal] authority?  I'm stumped.  I don't even understand Steve on a good day!

• Upvote 5

The house featured in this photo was involved in a meth bust last summer and the house with the ghost decorations has been repeatedly busted for all kinds of drugs. God has not given them good judgement to stay away from these places. I would not take a picture of the purple house. The owner would not happy about that, he has issues.

uhnope.jpg

• WTF 1

8 minutes ago, rosary said:

The house featured in this photo was involved in a meth bust last summer and the house with the ghost decorations has been repeatedly busted for all kinds of drugs. God has not given them good judgement to stay away from these places. I would not take a picture of the purple house. The owner would not happy about that, he has issues.

uhnope.jpg

I'm surprised the Maxwells would post a photo containing a skeleton and ghosts in the first place! 

• Upvote 2

The key is sports.  We know the "thing" is positive because Jesus embodies whatever it is so answer lies in what he thinks people gain (in a positive way) from sports.

• Ambition
  • Single mindedness
  • Focus
  • Teamwork 
  • Assistance / Help

The last one maybe?  I am having a rough day and desperately needed something pointless to obsess over, thanks Steve!

38 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Yes, I'm going with faith too  but perhaps love. 

The elderly are cynics with no faith and have seen Steve's type before.  They also are unloved.  Except by Maxwells.

Many quibbles, but Steve is crafty:

Money often gives it. - False faith that you are Ok,  or love of money = root of all evil

Sports often give it.  -  Search me. False faith in your team or love of sports = false love.

Marriage proposes it.  - Both faithfulness and love.

Death kills it. -  When you are dead you don't need faith or God's love is enough.

Jesus Christ embodies it. - That should be love.  

If he did this I will be infuriated as that's not how riddles work and it would just be very clumsy to the point of obfuscating wordsmithing.

This is going to bother me all freaking week.  :pb_lol:

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

The key is sports.  We know the "thing" is positive because Jesus embodies whatever it is so answer lies in what he thinks people gain (in a positive way) from sports.

But he pulled Nathan and Chris out of competitive team sports because they were evil.  

• Upvote 6

Just now, Palimpsest said:

But he pulled Nathan and Chris out of competitive team sports because they were evil.  

Yes, but...and this just occured to me.  Isn't mountain climbing a sport?  Sort of?  I mean I'd consider it more of an athletic activity, but I'm not of that world.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Yes, but...and this just occurred to me.  Isn't mountain climbing a sport?  Sort of?  

Yes, it can be a sport or a hobby. There are competitions and everything. But I've never noticed the Maxwells to do much more than hike with light scrambling. 

5 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I thought they were pulled out because it was Focus on the Family time, and the sports were becoming idols? Which i guess is evil. 

• Upvote 4

Direction?  

Fuck it - should we do a poll?  List of everyone's guesses to see who among us can get inside his weird little head.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

With Steve it could be anything or everything. I mean everything is a sin according to him, no fun, no friends, no hobbies, everything is an idol to him, and you can’t even relax on a Saturday or it’s a sin. Now I’m going to be thinking about this and since he reads here we will never get the answer just like the damn pizza cutter. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I think Mr. P solved it.

Purpose.

Guess you must have me blocked. 

17 minutes ago, freejugar said:

The Maxwells seem to have pretty ageist views, I don't really know were they originated

I'd really like to know the origin of those views! Something must have happened, once upon a time, that pissed Steve off. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, freejugar said:

The Maxwells seem to have pretty ageist views, I don't really know were they originated

Thing about agest views is, if you're lucky, you eventually age into the group you've been disparaging.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 4
  • Love 4

19 hours ago, dripcurl said:

I was still up and I read this right after he sent it - I fell asleep and had lots of weird dreams and upon waking up I thought that email was a part of it all. Steve never ceases to be nightmarish I suppose. I am guessing it is “love”. I found the sentiment about the elderly somewhat rude, but he uses rhetoric about the elderly being unwanted to leverage his church with them, even though I think he cares more about controlling his kids in that respect. What is awful is that many elderly are ignored by their families, but Steve is the type to shun family members if they don’t live exactly like him, so who is he to judge.

I was guessing happiness, but still, study after study shows (to people who read things other than the Bible) that older people are the happiest, most content age group.

When I was in high school I used to volunteer at a local nursing home. I admit I silently judged the families who never came to spend time with their elderly disabled parents. Years later I came to realize that it would take an extraordinary person to continue a relationship with the people who abused and/or failed to protect her from abuse as a child. 

2 hours ago, freejugar said:

I used to say that ageism was the last socially acceptable form of bigotry in this country. Then along came Trump and racism, anti-semitism, xenophobia, homophobia, etc are making a comeback but ageism is alive and well.

As one of the elderly, I do what I can to combat ageist stereotypes, and I try hard not to take offense when I run up against them. It has really reinforced my awareness that do not see bias that isn't directed at us. And there's not a lot of bias directed against affluent white cis hetero people.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Lisafer said:

I'd really like to know the origin of those views! Something must have happened, once upon a time, that pissed Steve off. 

Well, he did put his mother into a nursing home, despite his insistence that senior citizens should stay in family homes, no matter their ailments. And I doubt he was involved in the care of his biological father at the end. 

Perhaps it's transference from the ever lingering anger at his parents. 

ETA to make statement clearer. 

Edited by anjulibai
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Perhaps it's transference from the ever lingering anger at his parents. 

I wonder if this is where some of his need to control comes from.

He knows how he feels about them, so he must control his kids emotions to protect himself from ever being on the receiving end of judgement or anger?  Just a thought.

We all know you can't control the emotions of others, but if you do it "right" you can make damn sure they never feel comfortable enough with you to express them.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, Steve is getting up there.  I wonder when he will consider himself part of the elderly and stop looking down on them.

It is like the Gospel of Steve.  His reading of Matthew 26:11

"For ye have the poor, (the elderly, the widows, and the orphans) always with you; but me ye have not always."

According to people like Steve, this will never change.  It is God's Will that there will always be the poor, elderly, widows, and orphans.  They are like useful domestic animals that True Christians can send OCC boxes to, pat on the head, occasionally bring lunch to, and preach at.  That earns your rewards in heaven.  

Steve is, above all, detached from others.  He  interacts with family and other right-type Christians only,  But he holds even them at a distance.  His job is to tell right-type Christians that they should  be better Christians.

All the rest of us are just here to serve God's purpose by helping right-type Christians be better.

• Upvote 7

14 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Steve is, above all, detached from others.  He  interacts with family and other right-type Christians only,  But he holds even them at a distance.

Absolutely. 

I wonder if he ever has moments alone with Teri where he can unclench and talk about his doubts, regrets, hopes, intentions ... pain ... in a real way.  Open and transparent with his deepest feelings.  Maybe just let her hold him while he talks ... lean on her for emotional support.

Then I think nope.  If he were capable of even recognizing his own emotions much less able to share them in any capacity he wouldn't be able to treat his family the way he has.

The repression visible in this family is staggering.

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 1

On 11/15/2018 at 12:56 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Absolutely. 

I wonder if he ever has moments alone with Teri where he can unclench and talk about his doubts, regrets, hopes, intentions ... pain ... in a real way.  Open and transparent with his deepest feelings.  Maybe just let her hold him while he talks ... lean on her for emotional support.

Then I think nope.  If he were capable of even recognizing his own emotions much less able to share them in any capacity he wouldn't be able to treat his family the way he has.

The repression visible in this family is staggering.

Had he been capable of this as the talker or supporter, Teri's depression battle would not have been the mess it was. One of the biggest ways to cope with depression is support. Someone to talk to without judgment and someone to listen to you. Someone to help you work your way through the darkness without judgment, agenda or imagined solution. Someone who allows and encourages you to feel exactly what you feel rather than repress it and lie about it and pretend. Someone who doesn't think more bible and a vasectomy reversal and more kids is the way to solve our problems. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

Had he been capable of this as the talker or supporter, Teri's depression battle would not have been the mess it was. One of the biggest ways to cope with depression is support. Someone to talk to without judgment and someone to listen to you. Someone to help you work your way through the darkness without judgment, agenda or imagined solution. Someone who allows and encourages you to feel exactly what you feel rather than repress it and lie about it and pretend. Someone who doesn't think more bible and a vasectomy reversal and more kids is the way to solve our problems. 

Exactly he did not support her or let her have a say in anything. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Exactly he did not support her or let her have a say in anything. 

It's like she's unaware of how much power she has in that relationship.

He maintains total control only because he is never challenged.  He will not leave her.  He's so anti-divorce and at this point would have to back track everything he's been peddling to the lemmings for all these years. 

"Actually, I am going to have a Pepsi when I want one."

"Did you order the pizza or should I?"

"I like this dress and it makes me feel pretty, I don't think a glimpse of my collar bone is inappropriate and I will continue to wear it."

"I need to focus on being a good mom to our three children.  It's your right to get your vasectomy reversed, it's your body.  But I won't be having any more children and will be taking control of my body as you do yours."

I didn't say anything about sticking up for her kids because I have no reason to believe she wants any better for them than he does.  But for herself ... she could change the dynamic of that relationship with really basic autonomous gestures.

(The last is emotionally loaded to be sure, but the first 3 are basic.)

My opinion is on some level she likes their dynamic just as it is.  All the responsibility, blame, failure ... that's all on his shoulders as far as they are both concerned.  She gives him her autonomy in exchange for a blameless life where she has no accountability for anything except obedience to him.

To me that kind of mental gymnastics absolves her of nothing.  She is just as responsible for the harm done to their kids by stunting them as he is ... but I don't think for a second she sees it that way, and giving up her right to her own agency is a small price to pay for not having to deal with any responsibilities or consequences of being an adult.

Just supposition - but if I had to guess I think some of this is probably true.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic