IGNORED

Seriously, Steve?

Palimpsest

1 hour ago, VodouDoll said:

The kids all have Scamaritan but Steve and Teri have regular insurance because of preexisting conditions that, presumably, Scamaritan wouldn’t cover.

assholery is indeed a pre-existing condition

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Women are not important in Maxhell's world.

Certainly not once sky daddy closes their wombs.

I do have to wonder if this heart attack is going to lead Steve to become more controlling and preachy about food and exercise. I could see him becoming seriously orthorexic in attempt to regain control over his failing body.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

One thing I've wondered is wouldn't Steve-O have Tricare since he is retired military?  Yeah, you pay a small amount per year as a retiree but it's real insurance.

I don’t know Steve...isn’t clearing a blockage God put in your heart thwarting God’s will? He created you to have a genetic predisposition towards cardiac problems, surely your job is to patiently endure until he calls you home. After that vasectomy this will be strike two, you’re going to get a reputation as a habitual thwarter. 

? Or is it only women who are thwarting when they seek medical care to stop something that is clearly gods plan for them? 

Edited by BlessingsVonFundiePants
Riffles
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 7

9 hours ago, HereticHick said:

assholery is indeed a pre-existing condition

Also incurable.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

On 3/14/2019 at 8:12 PM, Leftitinmysnood said:

Not every heart attack is the chest-clutching TV drama,

PSA: this is particularly true for women. Women are less likely to have classic chest pain. They have symptoms like jaw pain, neck/back/abdominal/arm pain, gi symptoms like nausea/vomiting, unusual fatigue, sweating. These symptoms can be confusing and easy to mistake for another issue. It can result in important delays in treatment. 

Regarding Steve, I think he will double down on trying to control every issue of his life but also fun fact: diet/exercise are not often enough. Medication/other treatments/luck/genetics etc often take control away from the patient. I think this is one of the hard psychosocial issues of serious and chronic illness - so much is out of your control. Schedules and routine may be hard to follow because stuff happens - even when you are doing all the right things. This is hard for anyone but for a controlling sort who thinks he is special and set apart - it could be very difficult. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

I do have to wonder if this heart attack is going to lead Steve to become more controlling and preachy about food and exercise. I could see him becoming seriously orthorexic in attempt to regain control over his failing body.

Heart attack? I thought it was something less serious?

13 hours ago, browngrl said:

PSA: this is particularly true for women. Women are less likely to have classic chest pain. They have symptoms like jaw pain, neck/back/abdominal/arm pain, gi symptoms like nausea/vomiting, unusual fatigue, sweating. These symptoms can be confusing and easy to mistake for another issue. It can result in important delays in treatment.

Word. Like my mom, I have a hiatal hernia and acid reflux, which can feel a lot like angina, so I’m careful not to assume that these kinds of discomfort are gastric in nature. My mom’s angina and gastric pains often felt identical to her.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Heart attack? I thought it was something less serious?

If he had 90 and 99% occlusions in cardiac arteries, it was serious. He may not have had a sudden heart attack, but odds are he at least had fatigue, shortness of breath, and lack of oxygen to his heart muscle. Functionally, he had a heart attack. I didn't read the Maxwell post, I'm just basing this on what people have quoted and years of cardiac specialty nursing care.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

Re the whole “healthy diet” thing: I’m not seeing a whole lot of fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains in the Maxhell diet. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Hane said:

Re the whole “healthy diet” thing: I’m not seeing a whole lot of fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains in the Maxhell diet. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I don't recall seeing many. 

I don't think the Maxwells' diet is terrible. They certainly don't overeat, there is a good amount of fiber, not a ton of sugar, and they don't get fast food or takeout. But, like all other things Maxwell, it's kinda mediocre. We've come a long way in our knowledge about nutrition since 1987, and they could definitely add some more fresh fruits and vegetables considering they have both the time and the money. 

And while I'm snarking--I think their fitness regimens are stuck in the same mediocre time warp. I'm not trying to body snark, and they are generally fit compared to the average American, but I have noticed a lack of muscle tone on the daughters' arms for people who claim to be such fitness buffs. I was also surprised to see the daughters all do push ups from their knees. 

I'm gonna guess they have god awful form and do whatever exercises Steve was taught in ninth grade PE. Better than nothing, but still not the stellar fitness models Steve likes to think of his family as. I live a far less monastic life, and am pretty confident I can outrun and outlift Sarah.

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 12

6 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

and they could definitely add some more fresh fruits and vegetables considering they have both the time and the money. 

They seem to have a good sized back yard, I'm surprised they don't have a big garden during the summer and grow fresh fruits and veggies? I know they planted strawberries, but I don't remember them talking about gardening a lot. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

They seem to have a good sized back yard, I'm surprised they don't have a big garden during the summer and grow fresh fruits and veggies? I know they planted strawberries, but I don't remember them talking about gardening a lot. 

Way back when—even while they were traveling pretty frequently—they used to have one but either they’ve given it up because it’s too much to fit into the holy schedule or it’s just not important enough to mention. 

https://blog.titus2.com/2008/10/31/settling-back-into-home-life/

• Upvote 4

When I was in Air Force basic training, way back in the 1970's, we were told that females were not capable of doing men's push-ups!  We kept our knees on the ground, even though we were healthy, young, fairly fit women.  Around my 50th birthday, I began doing real men's push-ups, and built up to 25 fairly quickly.  I'm 61 now and do 20.

I agree, the Maxwells are stuck in Steve's 9th grade PE class style work out.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 4

I though someone got a kettle ball dropped on her foot. Was that not a Maxwell? I associate kettle balls with CrossFit, not 1968 PE workouts.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

I though someone got a kettle ball dropped on her foot. Was that not a Maxwell? I associate kettle balls with CrossFit, not 1968 PE workouts.

I’ve wondered if they let the men out of the borg to do CrossFit at some point. Jesse was seen wearing a CrossFit shirt a couple years ago:

https://blog.titus2.com/2016/02/21/short-sleeves-in-february/

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 3/16/2019 at 3:47 PM, formergothardite said:

I keep hoping Chelsy will convert them to the joys & merits of gardening, esp. as all the nieces & nephews get older and can be put to work in the plots. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/16/2019 at 11:47 AM, Leftitinmysnood said:

If he had 90 and 99% occlusions in cardiac arteries, it was serious. He may not have had a sudden heart attack, but odds are he at least had fatigue, shortness of breath, and lack of oxygen to his heart muscle. Functionally, he had a heart attack. I didn't read the Maxwell post, I'm just basing this on what people have quoted and years of cardiac specialty nursing care.

Yeah, I have no clue. Interesting there were no big old calls for prayers!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Yeah, I have no clue. Interesting there were no big old calls for prayers!

"Please send thoughts and prayers for Steve/Dad that he may recover... or whatever God's will is."

Too ambivalent?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, pandora said:

You know the story of Martha and Mary? Steve is Martha. Rushing around and bothered with having things just so for Jesus, missing what's truly important. 

I use to be a Martha. I was missing out so much and blinded by doing good. I had to learn and I did. I am Mary in a lot more ways. I still can serve but I can also just sit and listen. Not miss out on what is essential. :) 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

They probably think that women shouldn't be too muscular, so that's why the girls don't progress to normal push ups

The male Maxwells are pretty buff

13 minutes ago, VodouDoll said:

You need protein to build muscle. Do the girls get enough?

There's no protein in animal crackers.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic