IGNORED

Seriously, Steve?

Palimpsest

My parents are not handy in any way. They can change light bulbs but that’s about it. So if something needs to be fixed they rather pay someone to do it right then risk making it worse. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

And as someone so astutely pointed out before me...why does your "learn to do everything X eleventy!" advice not apply to your wife and daughters?  Where is their vegetable garden, and why don't they know how to can said non-existent vegetables?  Where are the quilts they make for Project Linus with their sewing skills?  Where are the crocheted or knitted caps and mittens donated to local shelters?  Why haven't they learned to make candles or soap?  I could go on, but you get the point.   

TRUTH. These are all excellent skills that pretty much all stay at home moms were expected to know even as recently as 60 years or so ago. Even in the 80s, my mom (who stayed at home with us through elementary school) grew a large garden, canned a lot of vegetables, and of course ran our dairy farm while dad was at work during the day. I can't remember ever not knowing how to prepare green beans for canning - we'd pick mass amounts of them then sit outside with grandma chatting and stringing them. Mom wasn't big on sewing, but knew enough to make a dress when she needed to. She gave up on knitting when we unraveled the sweater she had partly in progress before we were born (sorry mom), but she knew how. And on top of all this she liked to learn new things - she'd take flower arranging or cake decorating classes in the evenings. She was a reader. We watched lots of movies as a family. And we went swimming in the backyard above-ground pool nearly every day all summer. 

Steve's daughters only know how to do what benefit$ Steve. They work in the family businesses, they write books for him to sell, they illustrate those books, and they clean and cook to his standards with no variation. They can do some home improvement type things, which benefit Steve and their brothers. They have so much free time, and do so little!

I have to say, I grew up in a very DIY family, so it never occurs to me to call someone to come fix something without looking it up and/or getting an opinion from dad and/or brother in law first. I can and have replaced toilet handles and flappers, installed new light fixtures and switches, installed a new faucet, and built a storage shed. There are a lot of things right now that need fixing that are beyond our abilities, but also beyond my financial means at the moment - but they'll get done eventually. I'm glad I have those skills, but if I had unlimited funds I'd probably just pay somebody to do most of them. 

I do sometimes think I have a good range of post-apocolyptic life skills - basic gardening knowledge, knitting (making socks!), basic sewing, etc. - I think I could survive and contribute, lol!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

And as someone so astutely pointed out before me...why does your "learn to do everything X eleventy!" advice not apply to your wife and daughters?  Where is their vegetable garden, and why don't they know how to can said non-existent vegetables?  Where are the quilts they make for Project Linus with their sewing skills?  Where are the crocheted or knitted caps and mittens donated to local shelters?  Why haven't they learned to make candles or soap?  I could go on, but you get the point.   

Now, now, they are always learning.  Anna and Mary built a raised bed for strawberries, and did a rather crap job of it.  They had a sewing party for OCC where they all made rather stupid little bags decorated with Godly words by Mary.  Anna used to make their matching skirts and frumpers (but it is now more cost-effective to buy them), and is the family cook.  Bottled salad dressing makes a great marinade, you all, and she smokes meat.  Sarah read one whole book on "personality traits" last year.  Not that it helped her much with her writing apparently.

But they really are not that good at typical home-making skills.  The interesting thing is that they don't learn from their sisters-in-law.  NR Anna used to make soap and candles before she was married and still makes her children clothes to match her frumpers.  Both Elissa and Chelsy put in vegetable gardens.  Melanie probably has her hands full with homeschooling but she may have done more in the past.  And some of the extended family now have goats.  

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I can and have replaced toilet handles and flappers, installed new light fixtures and switches, installed a new faucet.

Building a shed is definitely beyond me.  I'm impressed,  I have also done all the above, replaced gaskets in faucets, and installed a garbage disposal.  It isn't rocket science.  I've painted every room in the house and installed a wood parquet floor too.  And my Dad didn't teach me how to do these things.  I taught myself. 

So there, Steve!  

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Building a shed is definitely beyond me.  I'm impressed, 

It was a kit one from Home Depot, so not quite as impressive. We did build a sturdy floor for it from scratch, and I didn't do it alone - my sisters and dad helped (dad really enjoys building stuff, especially with us!). Dad also took the shed as an excuse to finally purchase an air nailer, and I highly recommend it! I did most of the nailing, dad mostly helped hold things up and stuff like that. My sister shingled the roof. My (older, male) neighbor was very, very impressed at me using the air nailer when he came over to speak to us. It was a family project, and I was very glad for their help. In fact, for almost all our family home improvement things for all our houses, it's been four women and dad. 

I find it's possible to do most things yourself, if you need or want to. Sometimes it's more time/money efficient just to pay someone to do it, and sometimes it's cheaper and more fun to do it yourself. I'm just amazed for all the DIY skills Steve thinks his family has, the girls apparently do so few other things. I think they're only allowed to do things that count as "work", and only if they don't actually enjoy it too much. At least they do get to do some home improvement type things that might be stereotypically male. In impractical long skirts, of course, but at least they're not relegated to carrying drinks to the menfolk and watching the children every time.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I'm just amazed for all the DIY skills Steve thinks his family has, the girls apparently do so few other things. I think they're only allowed to do things that count as "work", and only if they don't actually enjoy it too much. At least they do get to do some home improvement type things that might be stereotypically male. In impractical long skirts, of course, but at least they're not relegated to carrying drinks to the menfolk and watching the children every time.

Yes, the Maxwell women are supposed to be these great homemakers, and yet we know from the blog that they perform very poorly with sewing, cooking, writing, artwork, and teaching: all things which, in their own belief system, they are supposed to EXCEL at. Maybe they get a slightly better grade on cleaning, but I'm not too sure. 

I'm no expert at any of those things myself, but when the Maxwells hold themselves up as the gold standard of the Christian life, I judge them by their own standards--and they fail.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Melanie probably has her hands full with homeschooling but she may have done more in the past.  And some of the extended family now have goats.  

Her daughter Abby had chickens at one time, maybe still does.  So there's that.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

59 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I'm just amazed for all the DIY skills Steve thinks his family has, the girls apparently do so few other things. I think they're only allowed to do things that count as "work",

I wonder whether all those DIY home renovations are up to code.  Maxwell and Sons Construction, Ltd. never seemed to get many outside jobs and they folded it a few years ago.

40 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

I'm no expert at any of those things myself, but when the Maxwells hold themselves up as the gold standard of the Christian life, I judge them by their own standards--and they fail.

This.  And I can sew on a button faster than Teri.  I don't have a "ministry" to teach people how to gather supplies to do it though.

The Maxwells didn't invent lists, schedules, DIY, or the freaking wheel.  And Stevo's "business advice" is basically refried business jargon and a basc project management course circa 1995.  I know.  I did one of those courses on company time. 

Nor do their ideas fit everyone's wants and needs.  They are unbearably arrogant and conceited about their life-style with not much to show for it.

Now if Joseph turns into a multimillionaire, I'll take back those words.  But I don't think he is a mini Steve Jobs.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

I have to just shake my head at Steve's latest post.  As mentioned by many, for a family of who are (supposedly) as industrious as Steve seems to suggest they have little to show for it.  They also brag about modest accomplishments which smacks of hubris rather than humility.  They are so removed from the real world that they don't understand that their "accomplishments" are rather shallow and are simply busy work to fill their empty days.

You know what Steve, I do more homemaking than your daughters or wife.  I cook, clean, knit, sew, can vegetables, and enjoy my garden.  I also do all this while caring for my three children, nurturing my marriage, volunteering in my community, and working part time.  My husband and I also own our home debt free AND between the two of us have six university degrees - so it is possible to do both.  And yes, we came out of university with our faith intact.  And while we do a great number of our own household chores and DIYs, we also are smart enough to know when to reach out to someone who has the expertise to do the jobs we cannot.  It isn't that are we lazy, it is just that we don't want to burn our home down with sub-par electrical work - or something along those lines.

You and your family are not experts on productivity.  Not even close.  Your Seriously posts make you look like a pompous ass.

Edited by daisyjane1234
  • Upvote 19
  • Love 8

@Palimpsest,  I can almost guarantee you that the renovations aren't up to code.  Doncha know that building codes are just for people that lack faith?   

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2019 at 1:40 PM, Ozlsn said:

Also yes having the skills to fix up things in houses is useful. But so is having the skills to grow your own food. So Steve, where's your vineyard? Your veggie patch? Your fruit trees? It's not like you don't have time for it...

It's also not like they don't have the space for a nice orchard and a huge vegetable garden. Maybe even a few chickens.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, Jana814 said:

My parents are not handy in any way. They can change light bulbs but that’s about it. So if something needs to be fixed they rather pay someone to do it right then risk making it worse. 

My father thought he could fix anything, key word, "thought.".  It was many, many blessings that most of the fixes he did were never caught by building inspectors, etc.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 3

Steve, the Proverbs 31:17 woman " considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard."

Where the hell are the vineyards in Maxwell land?

PS It is nowhere mentioned in Proverbs 31 that this esteemed woman "passeth out tracts" or "maketh balloon animals" or "picketeth abortion clinics."  She's too busy being a linen merchant.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Steve, the Proverbs 31:17 woman " considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard."

Where the hell are the vineyards in Maxwell land?

PS It is nowhere mentioned in Proverbs 31 that this esteemed woman "passeth out tracts" or "maketh balloon animals" or "picketeth abortion clinics."  She's too busy being a linen merchant.

I've never understood why Proverbs 31 is so beloved by fundies when the praiseworthy woman is so clearly a businesswoman.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 13

On 2/8/2019 at 2:56 PM, Palimpsest said:

I wonder whether all those DIY home renovations are up to code.  Maxwell and Sons Construction, Ltd. never seemed to get many outside jobs and they folded it a few years ago.

I'll bet the building code in Kansas is very loose, considering Steve claimed John was a licensed electrician and plumber.  My husband is an electrician and had to go through a four year apprenticeship, which included two evening classes per week. 

Either the standards in Kansas are very low, or Steve is telling tales.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

55 minutes ago, kpmom said:

I think it might be Steve telling tales. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

Oh, Steve is probably telling tales alright, but the building codes might just be pretty lax as well.  I thought that building codes required GFCI switches/outlets to be used in kitchens and bathrooms (within 6 feet of a water source), but I stopped at a motel near Atlanta a few years ago and there were no GFCI switches in the bathroom.  There's also a non GFCI switch in my daughter's downstairs powder room in the house that they bought several years ago.  Both these happened within the past five years.  As Mike Holmes says, build better than code.  

• Upvote 7

43 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Oh, Steve is probably telling tales alright, but the building codes might just be pretty lax as well.  I thought that building codes required GFCI switches/outlets to be used in kitchens and bathrooms (within 6 feet of a water source), but I stopped at a motel near Atlanta a few years ago and there were no GFCI switches in the bathroom.  There's also a non GFCI switch in my daughter's downstairs powder room in the house that they bought several years ago.  Both these happened within the past five years.  As Mike Holmes says, build better than code.  

These probably slipped by, no halfway decent code would not require GFCI outlets near water. I would have reported the motel to the building department.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

These probably slipped by, no halfway decent code would not require GFCI outlets near water. I would have reported the motel to the building department.

And I may be talking out my ears here, but isn’t providing a GCFI just a matter of installing that type of outlet?  If the Maxbuilders haven’t, and especially in homes their own families inhabit, well: that is  just stupid. 

• Upvote 5

On 2/9/2019 at 7:36 PM, kpmom said:

I'll bet the building code in Kansas is very loose, considering Steve claimed John was a licensed electrician and plumber.  My husband is an electrician and had to go through a four year apprenticeship, which included two evening classes per week. 

Apparently the licensing in Kansas is done at the local level.

Here's the page from Leavenworth City government about electrical licenses: https://www.lvks.org/egov/apps/document/center.egov?view=item;id=187

• Thank You 4

23 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

My house has one and a half baths - the full bath has a GFCI outlet, but the half bath doesn't. However, it's on the same circuit as the one in the full bath, and is easily tripped so you have to go to the full bath to re-set it. So maybe some of the ones you've seen are on GFCI circuits but the switch is on another outlet?

Or, they could just not have them. My grandparents' house was pretty old, and not only had no GFCI outlets, but the outlets had no ground, either. They had to use adapters for everything. I think the new owner is having the entire house re-wired.

I think Steve presents a heavily edited and redacted version of their life for public consumption. I wouldn't be surprised if the boys in particular were not quite as indoctrinated as he'd like us to think, that perhaps some of them don't stick to the schedule quite as tightly as he suggests they do, and that it is only fear and judicious application of guilt and rewards that is keeping Sarah from moving out, even if it's just to be a live-in aunt at a brother's house. If Teri can't have her Pepsi, why is Sarah allowed her mochas? And a dog?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I am loathed to agree with anything Steve spews and I disagree with the context, but I must agree that often when you hear 'I can't' (especially with that irritating whine that so often accompanies it) it actually means 'I don't want to' or 'I can be bothered'.

<feels grotty for agreeing with any part of a Steve comment>

• Upvote 5

CRAFTSMEN

This was posted on February 13, 2019 by Steve Maxwell.

I thought this was going to be Steve berating Dads more about DIY, but no.  

We ate Saturday evening dinner at my oldest son Nathan’s house.

That might be more graciously phrased as "Nathan and Melanie invited us to dinner," Steve.

He and Melanie have five children from 10 down to almost 2 with another one on the way.

We know, Steve.  We know. Stop boasting about your progeny producing more and more progeny.  Sometimes birth control is a good idea.

The children had baths that afternoon,

Is this really such an unusual event it needs to be remarked upon? 

and after Bible time

Got to get that plug in there.

it was apparently fingernail cutting time. I watched with interest as Melanie cut the little’s nails. She used nail scissors and deftly moved from finger to finger. Actually, it reminded me of a craftsman, due to how smooth and quick she was.

As opposed to a hack saw or a potato peeler?  And if you are going to insist on calling children "littles" you got the apostrophe in the wrong place again, Steve.  If there was more than one little having their nails cut that should be littles'.

There are many skills that moms acquire and utilize throughout their days with the children, and that spurred my thinking to dads.

Spurred his thinking forsooth.

We typically think of dads’ skills in regard to providing for their families. Could that be wood, hay, and stubble compared to the gold skills of discipling the children?

You may "typically think" of fathers' skill like that, Steve.  I tend to think fathers should parent too.  Some fathers may even be capable of cutting their children's nails efficiently.  Wielding nail scissors handily should not be a skill reserved for women.

But now we get to the meat of the topic.  

The duties of the Godly father made in Steve's image.  Steve is going to whop his captive Dad audience with them yet again:

I'm going to guess:

• Bible Time
  • Scripture to Save Souls
  • The Nurture and Admonition of the LORD

leading an interactive, engaging Bible time or having heart-to-heart talks with your children? Can you artfully apply Scripture to the precious, teachable moments that come along as you strive to reach the soul and not just attain outward conformity? How committed are you to bringing up your children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord that they might love Him with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength?

I was right. 

yawn2.jpg

All you other Dads, you are not as perfect as Steve.  Get it?  Got it? Good!

And the obligatory Bible text is one of Steve's absolute favorites.  Ephesians 6:4

Steve's constant harping on and nagging about bringing up children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord provokes me to wrath.  I expect it gets on his sons' nerves too, let alone annoying the Dads to whom he is sending these repetitive emails.

Spoiler

disapproval-baby-annoyed-meme-1.jpg

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 3

@Palimpsest,  I suspect that Charles Schultz would thoroughly approve of your use of the Peanuts panel.  

I hate the term "littles" to refer to children with the fire of a million suns.  

And I just love the scowl on that baby's face!

• Upvote 11

56 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

And I just love the scowl on that baby's face!

It was a toss up between the baby and this image. :P

Spoiler

image.png

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 10
  • Love 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic