IGNORED

Serven separation?

love2scrap

I was looking to see if there was an obituary or funeral notice and I couldn't find anything. Which I think is odd.  No funeral and no obit?  It's been two weeks, you'd think there would be something.  Maybe things are strained between Sarah and Cody's parents?  Because of the separation?  Idk.  I checked out the GoFundMe to see if maybe there was an update there- there was none- BUT, I did see that Anna and Josh Duggar donated $200.  Of course not anonymously.  So either things aren't financially strained for them or they are just trying to make it appear that there are no money problems.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

23 minutes ago, punkiepie said:

I was looking to see if there was an obituary or funeral notice and I couldn't find anything. Which I think is odd.  No funeral and no obit?  It's been two weeks, you'd think there would be something.  Maybe things are strained between Sarah and Cody's parents?  Because of the separation?  Idk.  I checked out the GoFundMe to see if maybe there was an update there- there was none- BUT, I did see that Anna and Josh Duggar donated $200.  Of course not anonymously.  So either things aren't financially strained for them or they are just trying to make it appear that there are no money problems.  

Glad you posted. I kept refraining, as I felt like an obsessive. 

Last I looked the $10,000 goal had been surpassed and was at 4 times that. As well-known as the families are, and as much support as they get from friends and admirers (and showoffs, Smuggars), and considering what they must have felt when they found out heathen liberal women were not just commenting on them but attending one of their weddings unannounced, and given the extreme nature of Cody’s death in the midst of the couple’s divorce, I think they will forego any public notice and privately notify everybody they want to attend.

Also interesting:  there’s no evidence that the Winton family ever had a traveling band, which I’m 99% sure they did. There was a video of Cody and a brother playing and singing but I neglected to bookmark it. 

The Winton family, in short, seems to have gone to ground. But then again, I haven’t looked deeply. 

The other thing that stopped me from digging further was contemplating that 4x response to the Gofundme. The dominionist, theocratic movement in this country takes care of its own. Impressively. I’m not saying that liberal or a-religious communities don’t rally around friends in need, but the 4x response gave pause as to the number of individuals and families committed to the same benighted views as the Servens and Wintons.

True, Cody & Sarah were/are progressing outside the ridiculous constrictions of their baby boomer parents, but there are still plenty of forced-birthers and their ilk, running around out there. 

Very discouraging. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, punkiepie said:

I was looking to see if there was an obituary or funeral notice and I couldn't find anything. Which I think is odd.  No funeral and no obit?  It's been two weeks, you'd think there would be something. 

Same here.

Guessing, though, that private services may have been held last week sometime, judging from a FB comment by his mother or father saying they'd post info on their FB page -- that would have been around Sept 9 or 10.

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

Also interesting:  there’s no evidence that the Winton family ever had a traveling band, which I’m 99% sure they did. There was a video of Cody and a brother playing and singing but I neglected to bookmark it. 

You're not imagining things. Here's a concert promo from years ago although the linked family music website is gone. Also, here's a commemorative post by someone who first met Cody when he was performing with his family:

I met Cody Winton at a bluegrass house concert in late 2010 (I believe) played by the family band that consisted of him, his brother, and his Dad. I wasn’t even really into bluegrass music at the time.

It's all so very sad. I really hope that Sarah and the children are getting the love & support they need -- without judgement -- from their families.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

@hoipolloi quoted a blogger about Cody. 

Wow.

What happened to change that young Cody into the guy who  excised his wife, and then his children, from his posts?  Whatever the cause:  The import of the tragedy is renewed, even stronger. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

On 9/13/2019 at 3:21 PM, bea said:

Has someone set up a fundie divorce/separation post? Because FFS I cannot keep track.

This is @Bethella realm.   She is AMAZING at keeping up with all this stuff. and a great asset to FJ :)  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

On 9/20/2019 at 10:02 PM, Curious said:

This is @Bethella realm.   She is AMAZING at keeping up with all this stuff. and a great asset to FJ :)  

@bea, here you go.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

My husband likes Jordan Peterson. I hadn’t heard of him, so looked up a few videos in an attempt to form an unbiased opinion and see why many on the left dislike him. I’m thankful for the posts in this thread that help articulate some of his problems.

I get the impression that if Peterson is asked directly about comments made by some of his incel followers he’d likely denounce them. He doesn’t have antipathy toward women per se, at least, not overtly. His sexism is much more subtle than that, it’s a tendency to discard the experiences of women facing sexism as anomalies or explain them away as “nature”. E.g. “there aren’t more women CEOs because women don’t want to work CEO hours and that’s a good thing, why should ANYONE want to work those hours” as though people’s desires and judgments exist in a vacuum and it’s not 40 years of social conditioning and gender discrimination in their lives that leads to women feeling like being a CEO would make them a terrible mother or men feeling like they’re fine to take on leadership roles because someone else will happily be primary caregiver. He seems to suggest that as long as women have equal choice they have an equal playing field. And that attempts to even out the playing field will result in people being unhappy and men being weak. He frequently points out that he’s not a sociologist or anthropologist or professor in gender studies, his expertise is in clinical psychology (I.e. a disproportionate percentage of the clients he uses to form these opinions about the world come to him precisely because they are unhappy), but then he expresses disdain for academic institutions for paying attention to the research from people who ARE experts in those areas. I find him very challenging because he does often make good points and he sounds very calm and sensible, and he’s frequently interviewed by people who totally ignore what he’s actually saying and come into the interview angry at him. I think he’d be a fascinating guy to talk to, and I think he could be a powerful politician if he wanted to. I also think he’s very smug and the king of mansplaining.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Visited Cheryl and Marcus Serven’s FB pages but saw no info on the funeral, as mentioned above. (I probably am not privy to their real pages.)

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about Sarah & the children. Any updates would be welcome. TIA.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I also have listened to a solid ten hours of Jordan Peterson, because the male semiheadship seems fascinated.

Meh.

Just listening to the guy - I think he's a bit punch drunk on some of his talking points.

Like... Getting himself excommunicated from his university.

He surely did biff that up. He made a poorly constructed and construed argument about language. His colleagues and everyone roared against him. Every time I hear about universities he sounds, well, butt-hurt. Audibly.

I think he comes from too moral of a place to become a fighter for the right.

(That's a doom-filled sentence if ever there was one. ?)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 2

Just to be clear, Peterson left the University of Toronto because he refused to commit to using the gender/pronoun his students chose. Fuck that guy. I teach university and it makes a world of difference to trans/non-binary students and is no more effort.

I feel like this is less known in the States so wanted to put that out there.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Just to be clear, Peterson left the University of Toronto because he refused to commit to using the gender/pronoun his students chose. Fuck that guy. I teach university and it makes a world of difference to trans/non-binary students and is no more effort.

I feel like this is less known in the States so wanted to put that out there.

I also teach a university  course on occasion, and you're right -- it's no more effort or trouble to use a student's preferred pronoun. Just requires using the brain you have.

Jesus. What a FUCKING asshole.

• Upvote 6

On 10/31/2019 at 2:25 AM, MamaJunebug said:

Visited Cheryl and Marcus Serven’s FB pages but saw no info on the funeral, as mentioned above. (I probably am not privy to their real pages.)

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about Sarah & the children. Any updates would be welcome. TIA.

Sarah's Instagram is private and there's nothing public on Facebook either. Not that I blame the Servens and Wintons for wanting to mourn privately, though I would also have liked updates.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

• 3 months later...
On 9/25/2019 at 8:01 AM, Smee said:

My husband likes Jordan Peterson. I hadn’t heard of him, so looked up a few videos in an attempt to form an unbiased opinion and see why many on the left dislike him. I’m thankful for the posts in this thread that help articulate some of his problems.

I get the impression that if Peterson is asked directly about comments made by some of his incel followers he’d likely denounce them. He doesn’t have antipathy toward women per se, at least, not overtly. His sexism is much more subtle than that, it’s a tendency to discard the experiences of women facing sexism as anomalies or explain them away as “nature”. E.g. “there aren’t more women CEOs because women don’t want to work CEO hours and that’s a good thing, why should ANYONE want to work those hours” as though people’s desires and judgments exist in a vacuum and it’s not 40 years of social conditioning and gender discrimination in their lives that leads to women feeling like being a CEO would make them a terrible mother or men feeling like they’re fine to take on leadership roles because someone else will happily be primary caregiver. He seems to suggest that as long as women have equal choice they have an equal playing field. And that attempts to even out the playing field will result in people being unhappy and men being weak. He frequently points out that he’s not a sociologist or anthropologist or professor in gender studies, his expertise is in clinical psychology (I.e. a disproportionate percentage of the clients he uses to form these opinions about the world come to him precisely because they are unhappy), but then he expresses disdain for academic institutions for paying attention to the research from people who ARE experts in those areas. I find him very challenging because he does often make good points and he sounds very calm and sensible, and he’s frequently interviewed by people who totally ignore what he’s actually saying and come into the interview angry at him. I think he’d be a fascinating guy to talk to, and I think he could be a powerful politician if he wanted to. I also think he’s very smug and the king of mansplaining.

Probably his political career is going to have to wait awhile because he got himself  addicted to benzodiazepines. https://nationalpost.com/news/jordan-petersons-year-of-absolute-hell-professor-forced-to-retreat-from-public-life-because-of-tranquilizer-addiction

36 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Probably his political career is going to have to wait awhile because he got himself  addicted to benzodiazepines. https://nationalpost.com/news/jordan-petersons-year-of-absolute-hell-professor-forced-to-retreat-from-public-life-because-of-tranquilizer-addiction

And of course his daughter blames big pharma and only Russia could save him.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And of course his daughter blames big pharma and only Russia could save him.

With family like her, who needs enemies?

• I Agree 1

33 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

With family like her, who needs enemies?

She’s just like her dad. I’m sure when he’s feeling better, he will use his situation to back up his socio-political beliefs. 

• I Agree 1