IGNORED

Family Living on Purpose (FLOP) : Erika Shupe Pt 12

Also I love someone in the comments of the blog post called out the Duggar daughters for wearing pants :laughing-jumpingpurple:  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 8

My MIL hates my guts. So does my SIL. It comes under the heading of I care, just not that much. My husband has not spoken to his mother in years. He found out she liked about a whole lot of shit including his birth father's funeral. So...that was the end of that relationship. 

• Upvote 5

I can’t help but roll my eyes at Jessica while feeling very sorry for her. She’s not bright at all. You can tell. It might just be her immaturity though. She writes like she’s 13. She doesn’t understand that maybe these women feel convicted to wear pants again. Why can these women only be convicted to wear skirts? Why can’t they decide that it’s more biblical for them to wear pants? Why are skirts the end all be all for biblical modesty? Why can’t they just be happy for these women? She’s so entitled! She thinks she’s owed some sort of explanation! I would love an explanation from Erika but I know I’m not owed one. It’s her choice! Get a life Jessica! Find some real life friends! Who cares if they don’t wear skirts! Get out of your tiny bubble! 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Jessica also has a post up about whether women who are "impure" should be "allowed" to wear white at their weddings. The thing people tend to forget is that it was Queen Victoria who popularized the white wedding dress by choosing a white dress rather than getting married in a brocaded gown. Debutantes wore white for their presentation, so she may have been referring to that in her choice of color, but in general prior to her brides generally wore what they had. It was upper class Victorian imitation of Queen Victoria that set off the white wedding trend, apparently then also popularized for all classes by Hollywood movies. Similarly, all women used to be expected wear veils in church, it's just now only common for brides.

Of course there was then a comment on her post about Meghan Markle and whether her choice of a white dress and veil was appropriate. *sigh* Jessica didn't seem to know who Meghan was, since the comment referred to Meghan and "the wedding' and Jessica apparently thought it was a movie that she hadn't seen but that some of her other followers might have heard of. How do you miss at least hearing about British royal weddings, even if you don't care about them?

This lady is definitely commenting "authoritatively" on things of which she knows nothing.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

Jessica also has a post up about whether women who are "impure" should be "allowed" to wear white at their weddings. The thing people tend to forget is that it was Queen Victoria who popularized the white wedding dress by choosing a white dress rather than getting married in a brocaded gown. Debutantes wore white for their presentation, so she may have been referring to that in her choice of color, but in general prior to her brides generally wore what they had. It was upper class Victorian imitation of Queen Victoria that set off the white wedding trend, apparently then also popularized for all classes by Hollywood movies. Similarly, all women used to be expected wear veils in church, it's just now only common for brides.

Of course there was then a comment on her post about Meghan Markle and whether her choice of a white dress and veil was appropriate. *sigh* Jessica didn't seem to know who Meghan was, since the comment referred to Meghan and "the wedding' and Jessica apparently thought it was a movie that she hadn't seen but that some of her other followers might have heard of. How do you miss at least hearing about British royal weddings, even if you don't care about them?

This lady is definitely commenting "authoritatively" on things of which she knows nothing.

It just shows how completely disconnected she is with the real world. She lives in her own tiny little world and so do her children. I feel very sorry for those children.

• Upvote 7

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It just shows how completely disconnected she is with the real world. She lives in her own tiny little world and so do her children. I feel very sorry for those children.

See, I kind of feel like that's her intention.  I was raised that christians are supposed to be "set apart".  We were supposed to be "in the world but not of the world".  At the same time I feel sorry for her.  I mean you can live in your own space for as long as you want.  But at the end of the day the real world intrudes.  It's easy to be super pious when your kids are little and you can control everything.  When they finally get to go out into the world and there are all of these delicious distractions.    

When I was a kid I craved being out in "the world" SO MUCH!  Being so sheltered didn't make me feel protected.  It made me resentful.  Trust me when I tell you - teenagers humble parents VERY QUICKLY!  Good luck Jennifer - she's gonna need it.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 6

19 minutes ago, ActualReality said:

See, I kind of feel like that's her intention.  I was raised that christians are supposed to be "set apart".  We were supposed to be "in the world but not of the world".  At the same time I feel sorry for her.  I mean you can live in your own space for as long as you want.  But at the end of the day the real world intrudes.  It's easy to be super pious when your kids are little and you can control everything.  When they finally get to go out into the world and there are all of these delicious distractions.    

When I was a kid I craved being out in "the world" SO MUCH!  Being so sheltered didn't make me feel protected.  It made me resentful.  Trust me when I tell you - teenagers humble parents VERY QUICKLY!  Good luck Jennifer - she's gonna need it.

It’s so true that you can easily shelter little kids. I’ve stayed home with my kids since they are born and they never had a babysitter other than my mom. I was always around if they came in contact with other children. 

Everything changed when my oldest went off to preschool! He constantly came home with new naughty words. I have to constantly combat incorrect info his little friends tell him at school. If I had never sent him to preschool, he would still be living in our own little bubble. Although it can be incredibly annoying, I’m glad he’s had some exposure outside our bubble. I can’t imagine imposing that bubble well into adulthood like so many fundie families (Maxwells).

• Upvote 13
  • Love 2

Holy melodrama, Batman!  That blog entry is something else, all the talk about perseverance and that she doesn't have any support but she "keeps on going" even though "I'm all alone" when it comes to wearing skirts and dresses only.

I wear skirts and dresses about 90% of the time, for the past 20 or so years.  It isn't a struggle, it isn't a battle or an ordeal to overcome, or a cross to be carried.  It's a fucking fashion choice.  No one has ever said anything except "hey I like your skirt."  NO ONE CARES IF YOU ONLY WEAR SKIRTS UNLESS YOU ARE CONSTANTLY TALKING ABOUT WHY YOU ONLY WEAR SKIRTS.  And that isn't very modest, is it?

Also 

men are still men! Even in our degraded culture, perhaps especially in our degraded culture, it is still important for Christian women to dress modestly and cover up their private parts with more than a thin veneer of stretchy jean material

You'd think no one has ever been assaulted wearing magical skirt armor.

• Upvote 19
  • Love 3

Someone called “KL” commented on Jessica’s post, and someone called “KL” used to pop up on LFOP. I’m guessing it’s the same person.

Erika has a nose ring! :pink-shock:Maybe she saw that Jill Dill has one and thought “if it’s ok for a Duggar daughter it’s ok for me”, or she’s trying to be friendlier with Karen (IF they fell out over the whole wedding thing). 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Someone called “KL” commented on Jessica’s post, and someone called “KL” used to pop up on LFOP. I’m guessing it’s the same person.

Erika has a nose ring! :pink-shock:Maybe she saw that Jill Dill has one and thought “if it’s ok for a Duggar daughter it’s ok for me”, or she’s trying to be friendlier with Karen (IF they fell out over the whole wedding thing). 

Erika's stubbornness and control freak ways made her miss the first marriage of any of her kids -- and that of her firstborn daughter. I'm sure she would have preferred to control and manage every aspect of the courtship, engagement, wedding, and honeymoon proceedings, but instead, she'll never be in any of Karen's wedding photos. None of the family was there (correct, right? It appeared to be an elopement). All that talk about being estranged from Bob's parents, and then her daughter moves out, moves away, and gets married in another state...she has to notice that the inter-generational problems weren't solved by a hyper-fundie lifestyle. 

But the kids are now in school, the crazy modesty restrictions have been eased, and they seem to be getting out more.  Personally, I suspect Erika's got a bit too much pride to ever explain the huge changes (and IDK why Jessica thought it would be reasonable for Erika to continue to pay to host a site she no longer wrote or worked on).  While I deeply wish she would, I  also imagine that some aspects of the change have to do with the children's personal information, and I'm all for keeping that private. I hope they're getting a little more to eat, too, but the Shupes as a whole have made some very positive changes. It's pretty interesting to watch. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 2

My mom is big into that "you are a virgin so you NEED to wear white on your wedding day AND NIGHT" because it a special symbol. Annoys me to no end. 

• Love 4

I'm another skirt/dress wearer. I wear skirts/dresses for many reasons including weight and heat. It's NOT a big deal. It REALLY isn't. Nobody fucking cares. There are TONS of skirt/dress wearers here in the valley. When you're all about comfort and attempting to stay cool (and failing miserably), loose fitting dresses, comfortable cotton skirts and tops are a total wardrobe win! I'm gonna have to do the real shoes thing at work though...it's like a refrigerator in the office and wearing sandals turns my feet into ice cubes. I have a cute pair of black Sketchers that go with everything and cute footie socks to wear with them. 

So...Miss Lady, you ain't that special wearing skirts all the time. Really, you're not. Get off that high horse before you bust your ass falling off!

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Erika Shupe reminds me of my mom SO freaking much that it makes me uncomfortable reading about her. It's that controlling, tightly-wound personality. Bunch of kids, tiny, orderly house, skirts and dresses, strict rules about food...

But we got more than one jellybean at a time! :my_biggrin:

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

Nose piercings have completely, totally, utterly, jumped the shark and fallen to the bottom of the ocean floor.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 17
  • Love 4

24 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Nose piercings have completely, totally, utterly, jumped the shark and fallen to the bottom of the ocean floor.

It’s so weird. So many fundies/ex fundies have gotten them. If you had told me that this would happen amongst some fundies ten years ago, I would have laughed in your face. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I’m all for self-expression via body modification, temporary and permanent. I like that little kids and grandmas have green hair. I do think it should be accessible to everyone. Fundies should be able to get big ass crazy Jesus on the cross tats if it’s meaningful to them. Because frankly, it’s better than them being prejudiced about people who choose to do body art.

But damn, nothing makes me want something LESS than seeing it on Erika Shupe. :puke-front:

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 12
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Fundies should be able to get big ass crazy Jesus on the cross tats if it’s meaningful to them. Because frankly, it’s better than them being prejudiced about people who choose to do body art.

First thing I thought of:

Spoiler

image.png.e78c73cd42a222469a1c6487db2aa4ff.png

Yeah, I loved Norman Reedus before all you "Walking Dead" fans. He's mine, you can't have him!

• Love 2

Mmmm Norman. Every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Just watched Boondock Saints last weekend! (For the millionth time) and fuck that shit holds up. Especially the sexiness. 

• I Agree 2

On 7/5/2018 at 1:09 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

So umm. It seems Erika pierced her nose...

657E1606-D479-4518-92DB-C13FE2F57D30.jpeg

Holy Dentist, Batman!   That woman had some awesome orthodontia!  Wonder if her kids got the same? Have to admit, I love her haircut! 

• Haha 4

I think Karen has deleted her Facebook. Nothing came up in the search bar, then when I went to Erika's profile I couldn't see her there. It does appear, though, that Melanie has a FB account. There's not much on it. Her cover photo is of the Game of Thrones book.... and yet her most recent thing is something she's posted about why she's not having sex before marriage. GoT is probably the raciest thing she's ever read. 

Melanie also works at some kind of camp. I googled the camp and it appears to be a pretty religious thing. 

• Thank You 5

55 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I think Karen has deleted her Facebook. Nothing came up in the search bar, then when I went to Erika's profile I couldn't see her there. It does appear, though, that Melanie has a FB account. There's not much on it. Her cover photo is of the Game of Thrones book.... and yet her most recent thing is something she's posted about why she's not having sex before marriage. GoT is probably the raciest thing she's ever read. 

Melanie also works at some kind of camp. I googled the camp and it appears to be a pretty religious thing. 

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with waiting if that’s what you want. However I always think it’s a bad idea to publicly proclaim it. So purity rings and purity balls are definitely out. And of course FB posts. I only say this because people who make those declarations are usually young. As you get older, so many things change! You change! Your opinions change! Making this kind of proclamation at 18 is a bad idea because if you do change your mind, people will remember! And you will feel embarrassed when you shouldn’t. There’s nothing embarrassing about changing your mind. But it can be embarrassing if you make this public and then 3 years down the road you get pregnant outside of marriage or you move in with your boyfriend. Your sex life is no one’s business but if you make this proclamation, you are bringing them into your business. And they will feel free to talk to you about it. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 2

*cough cough* Bristol Palin *cough cough*

I don't really mind the post, per se, it just seems rather at odds with Game of Thrones. Did Erika check that book out before she let Melanie read it? Incest, all sorts of non-marital sex, violence...

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, mango_fandango said:

*cough cough* Bristol Palin *cough cough*

I don't really mind the post, per se, it just seems rather at odds with Game of Thrones. Did Erika check that book out before she let Melanie read it? Incest, all sorts of non-marital sex, violence...

There have been quite a few famous people who said they would wait. Like the Jonas Brothers. Only one kept that promise. And he wasn’t all that wowed with waiting. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

I think the number of people who say they waited until marriage is quite a bit higher than the number of people who actually waited. Horniness is a force to be reckoned with!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2