IGNORED

Family Living on Purpose (FLOP) : Erika Shupe Pt 12

Karen got out of the house, got married, and visited us.

Continue from here: 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I saw that she got married.  Congrats Karen!!  Welcome to the married ladies club!!

• Upvote 4

They look so happy.  I hope Erika and her husband realize what they stand to lose and swallow their pride.  Karen deserves better parents. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

Erika has commented on the album! 

• Thank You 1

8 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Erika has commented on the album! 

REALLY!  I'll have to pop over there and see what she says.  I hope she expressed delight for her daughter!

• I Agree 1

How very sad.  Erika's extreme control over her children has led to her missing the first of many important events in her daughter's life. 

They refused to meet her future husband, and now they've been reduced to congratulating their daughter on Facebook.  They are becoming Bob's parents. 

What's next?  Are they going to "meet" their fist grandbaby via Instagram? 

I have no problem with a courthouse wedding, but I can't help but wonder if that's what Karen really wanted.  

I had a dear friend who found herself pregnant in her early twenties.  She and the father decided to marry before the baby was born.  Her parents told her to plan for a courthouse wedding, because she didn't "deserve" anything else.  It literally broke my heart, because it's just not what she wanted.  

I can't help but wonder if this would have been a different sort of wedding, if Karen had been marrying someone Bob and Erika approved.

In any case, her dress was just lovely, and they looked so happy.  

Congratulations to Karen for wrestling control of HER life away from them.  

Karen, a word of encouragement for you and your new husband-

My husband and I married as teens.  We've been together for twenty years now.  There were hard times when we were younger, but we made it through them, and I am so glad we did.   I can't imagine a single day of my life without my husband in it.  He makes up the very best parts of my day.

I hope that one day you and your new husband will have as many happy memories as we do.  Wishing the both of you many wonderful years together. 

-Koala

Edited by Koala
  • Upvote 20
  • Love 26

Erica chose to believe that she alone would determine her children’s futures and they would obey her. Karen has proved her wrong. Good for Karen.

If the other children choose Karen’s path Erica and Bob are facing a lonely future of  their own making. The loss of control must have been shattering to Erica’s world view and I wonder about her ability to reflect on her choices and change  her thinking. It is possible but not probable IMO that Erica will use the experience of missing her daughters wedding to change her behaviour.

• Upvote 19
  • Love 2

Found what I sought!  Karen is lovely! Mazel tov, to her & Nathan!

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Congratulations Karen! Your dress is adorable and I hope you enjoy married life in Arizona!

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Erika and Bob are basically penny wise and pound foolish.  They may think they showed Karen by not attending but their actions will never be forgotten.  The costs of their actions may be more than they can pay to in the future.  

Karen you and your hubby are adorable. May you have many wonderful years together. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

I just realized something - I have cousins in the States (DISTANT) whose last name is Shupe, a few families actually. Šupe is a Croatian last name, and since y'all don't have all the letters in English that we have in Croatian (and vice versa, we don't have x, y, q, w) and Croatian is a phonetic language/alphabet, the Šupes that moved to English speaking countries all changed their last name to Shupe. Maybe their last name is the Belgium Shupe/Schupp.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

She looks lovely, such a cute dress! And yay for courthouse weddings.  Mu husband and I got married at Brooklyn Borough Hall almost 11 years ago, zero regrets here.

• Upvote 6

13 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

She looks lovely, such a cute dress! And yay for courthouse weddings.  Mu husband and I got married at Brooklyn Borough Hall almost 11 years ago, zero regrets here.

I too had a courthouse wedding with no regrets.  I'm TOTALLY not a wedding girl.  I wanted something nice and simple with my beloved and I.  I husband started inviting people and before your know it friends and family came.  In the end our wedding was us and 12 other people.  I still complain about that "big" wedding. LOL!  In the end it was about my hubby and I.  It was a beautiful memorable day! 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 8

Best wishes to Karen and her husband for much happiness now and in the future.

I would have never believed that Lisa Pennington could make the changes necessary to maintain a relationship with her adult daughters but she seems to have placed family above ideology when push came to shove. I will hope the same for Erika and Bob Shupe.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Karen is gorgeous and both look so happy! If they felt the need to get married to officialize their relationship, then a courthouse wedding is a great option: low-stress, super romantic, and cheap. They can always have a wedding party or vow renewal down the line.

Erica's facebook comment made me sad. It reminded me of my own wedding that my parents reluctantly attended after much debate. It was their first and last secular wedding to attend. My mom took zero interest in helping with things she usually loves, such as flowers and decorations, and they left really early. My Dad's speech was about his own marriage to my Mom and how God guided them throughout, not a single word about me. When they left, I got the same "Congratulations and we love you dearly", which felt a lot like "We still love you despite immensely disappointing us". It was was a hard day, happy and heart-wrenching at the same time...

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Love 18

Yeah a Facebook "congrats we love you" response to your daughter's wedding seems incredibly sad. I hope that they at least spoke on the phone. 

I only had a wedding because my mil thought we should have one. I had intended to just have a courthouse wedding. She made all the plans and paid for everything. It was small and awkward, but it did the trick and we are still married almost 30yrs later. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

stupid question alert..

Is a courthouse wedding similar to a registry office wedding  (UK)?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

stupid question alert..

Is a courthouse wedding similar to a registry office wedding  (UK)?

Google says yes.

• Thank You 3

I had two thoughts about Erica's fb congratulations:

1. There is no mention of Nathan. None. It's just "congratulation to our first baby girl." This kind of reminds me of my own mil, who likes to shut me out and pretend I am not part of the picture. She'll call and ask my husband about himself and our kids and never mention me. Erica does the same thing. Most parents would refer to *the couple*, like, "I hope you and Nathan are well." or "Are you guys enjoying Arizona?" or "congratulations to you both." 

2. It seems odd to refer to Karen as "my first baby girl." I mean, I get that parents have a hard time seeing their kids as grownups. But referring to Karen as though she were still a dependent, helpless child? It'd be far more normal to say, "I can't believe you are all grown up!" or "It seems just yesterday you were a baby!" 

It seems to me that Erica might like it if Karen's marriage failed, she couldn't support herself, and she had to return home and allow Erica to schedule her day.

Edited by Hisey
  • Upvote 16

1 hour ago, Hisey said:

2. It seems odd to refer to Karen as "my first baby girl." I mean, I get that parents have a hard time seeing their kids as grownups. But referring to Karen as though she were still a dependent, helpless child? It'd be far more normal to say, "I can't believe you are all grown up!" or "It seems just yesterday you were a baby!" 

I refer to my 35 year old daughter as my baby girl. She will always be my first and only baby girl. I know she's a grown woman, she's an amazing woman, smart, sassy, funny, ambitious, gorgeous, but she always will be my first and only baby girl. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 6