IGNORED

Seewalds 33: Schroedinger’s Uterus

Jellybean

Carry on from here:

Still playing the ‘is she/isn’t she’ game. 

6691C005-9831-4522-9DAD-FBC7AE98FC8C.jpeg.2c38973cd85d54a7a6fb3d32ebb73e05.jpeg

@coffeebean7 presents data about the spacing of pregnancies by Duggar children, but there are still those that hold out hope against hope that we will get through 2018 without a pregnancy announcement from Jessa/Ben...

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Jessa posted a video of Henry and Spurgeon exploring. 

Those two are incredibly cute! Looks like Henry's gonna have those curls too!

10 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Jessa posted a video of Henry and Spurgeon exploring. 

I like watching them.  But footwear please Jessa and Ben for Henry.

Carm, I love your location. It's brilliant!:kitty-wink:

1 hour ago, Sky with diamonds said:

But footwear please Jessa and Ben for Henry.

Sorry I can't fault them for that. I hate shoes, I hated them as a child and equally so as an adult.

Unless fitted well shoes can actually cause problems for kids that young, better to let them run and explore in bare feet.

3 hours ago, motelmum said:

Sorry I can't fault them for that. I hate shoes, I hated them as a child and equally so as an adult.

Unless fitted well shoes can actually cause problems for kids that young, better to let them run and explore in bare feet.

I'm thinking of the time one of my cousins near Henry's age ended up with a nail in his foot while going barefoot. Still makes me uneasy years later.

Bare feet are a very good thing, IMO, especially for very young babies. Helps them balance better and builds strength, too. The chance of injury is small enough (and the injuries likely to occur mild enough) that I personally wouldn't be the least bit concerned about a toddler going barefoot on a normal driveway and lawn. We had a gravel driveway and still went barefoot a good bit... in the yard and around the house. Around my dad's workshop and in the cow pasture, we wore shoes. I know the Duggars aren't bastions of common sense, but I'm not going to fault them for bare feet on Henry.

Derick Dillard: “This harmless, lovely, and talented gay family is dangerous to America.”

Jill Dillard: “Hey y’all of my 1.5 million Instagram followers, check out this totes cool car seat hack!”

Oh, the irony.

ETA: Sorry guys, wrong thread. My bad.

You can get parasites from going outside with bare feet, so there are some legitimate concerns there. Do Ben and Jessa have any pets?

That said, I ran around outside barefoot with no problems for much of my childhood, so I don't really see it as a huge deal.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I've run a nail through my foot while wearing shoes. That was... unpleasant.

I'm a fan of bare feet in nice weather I hate shoes, my son did get a nail through his foot when he was about 5 we told him not to go out barefoot as we were building a garage, but he did anyway.  My husband also got a nail though his work boot on a job site, so shoes don't always help.  With our son we cleaned it out and took him to urgent care to make sure all was well. DH just pulled the nail out and kept on working. dumb ass wound up with a bone infection and was in the hospital for a week and off work for 8 weeks with a damn picc line for iv home antibiotics. MEN.

I don’t care about bare feet just walking around grass, yard, front stoop... we have friends who let their kids ride bikes and other toys with flip flops or no shoes and it terrifies me. My husbands friend had a nasty accident riding bike barefoot when they were kids and we require closed toed shoes for bikes and toys. I would never say anything to the friends but it scares me no end... the other thing is I hope they wear shoes in other instances. It’s important to help form how they walk to be in supportive shoes but I have to assume this is just a point in time and not over analyze.

I both love shoes and love walking in the long grass without them. I would hope that Ben and Jessa looked around for any potential issues before they let the boys walk around barefoot. 

Those two are so cute it is crazy.  Henry's hair makes him look like Gene Wilder!  

Please Rufus, let them not grow up to be hateful close-minded fundies.

2 hours ago, EyesOpen said:

I don’t care about bare feet just walking around grass, yard, front stoop... we have friends who let their kids ride bikes and other toys with flip flops or no shoes and it terrifies me. My husbands friend had a nasty accident riding bike barefoot when they were kids and we require closed toed shoes for bikes and toys. I would never say anything to the friends but it scares me no end... the other thing is I hope they wear shoes in other instances. It’s important to help form how they walk to be in supportive shoes but I have to assume this is just a point in time and not over analyze.

Shoes are really great for protecting kids' feet from stuff that could hurt them, but they are not needed to help form proper stride. Humans have been walking/running/playing far longer than we've been wearing supportive shoes :) Being barefoot is best for new walkers to grip with their toes and really get a sense of the ground, and shoes for little kids should be super flexible so they don't interfere with development.

Just like when I hear myself asking someone if they want a light jacket- I'm the child of a pediatric PT and I think my mom is somehow speaking these words through me right now.

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I both love shoes and love walking in the long grass without them. I would hope that Ben and Jessa looked around for any potential issues before they let the boys walk around barefoot. 

This, I tend to assume that mom knows best with her kids in situations like this. Now if this had been Jill I might be concerned, but Jessa seems competent and attentive enough to keep a watchful eye on her boys. None of us parent the same so while some might find her actions reckless, others find nothing wrong, it is all in how you personally parent. 

ETA, I love that she allows the boys to explore their natural curiosity and hope she doesn't squash it as they get older. 

I saw Ben's sister is a cop now? Angry Trumpkin in a position of power. What could go wrong?

I didn't grow up going barefoot outside. That was seen as gross plus then you'd track the dirt inside with you. At least with shoes, you can take them off just inside the door. I can't shake that opinion now as an adult. I guess it's stuck. *shrug*

Shoes actually change the shape of your feet and hamper balance and strength.  People do NOT need to learn how to walk in shoes unless society is going to force them to wear them all the time, but the trend towards minimalist shoes may be fixing that.

We let LO be barefoot unless he is in a public place, the ground has something on it that could hurt him or its cold.  Evolution has created a good foot, why should we let shoes mess with it? 

9 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I'm thinking of the time one of my cousins near Henry's age ended up with a nail in his foot while going barefoot. Still makes me uneasy years later.

To be fair, I STILL ended up with a three-inch nail in my foot WHILE wearing shoes so- what can ya do? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived